Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: Big White Lie

Monday’s Supergirl found Kara & Co. infiltrating a seedy alien fight club, and at the risk of breaking the first rule of such a venue, I’m going to talk about it.

Orchestrated by a leggy, inked-up baddie named Roulette, the club was designed to pit aliens — some volunteers, others prisoners — against one another for the amusement of National City’s worst and wealthiest. (The clientele reminded me of that Tom Cruise movie Eyes Wide Shut, but with less aliens.)

Roulette insisted that her club was a place where aliens could feel special and powerful, but Supergirl saw things differently. She made it her personal mission — with an assist from Lena Luthor, who believes Kara will return the favor “when the time comes” — to put a stop to the club and put Roulette behind bars, though the latter proved far more difficult.

The main event, of course, was the reluctant showdown between Martian pals J’onn and M’gann, a dramatic confrontation that ended with the two leaving in opposite directions with newfound respect for themselves. (OK, it technically ended with a brutal two-on-one assault and a thwarted arrest, but the stuff I mentioned also happened.)

But just when it seemed that J’onn and M’gann had reached an honest place of healing — all that “taking the bond” talk was kind of hot in a weird, Martian sort of way — we learned that the Last Daughter of Mars is still harboring a big ol’ secret: She’s a White Martian!

Elsewhere this week…

‘SAWYER? IT’S DANVERS’ | Oh, Alex and Maggie — where do I even begin with these two? From finishing each other’s sentences to awkwardly complimenting one another’s undercover ensembles, the chemistry between these two is off the charts. (Heck, Maggie even made “Want to see a dead body?” sound like a pick-up line.) You can bet I felt for her when Maggie kissed her girlfriend in front of her. Rude.

BOOZIN’ BUDDIES | Speaking of undeniable flirting, Mon-El appealed to Winn’s ego in order to gain access to the outside world; the dashing Daxamite promised that Winn could design his costume and name him, a proposition that left him straight-up giddy. But once alcohol — like, a lot of alcohol — was introduced into the equation, their boys’ day out devolved into a full-on bar brawl.

#JOURNALISM | I’m all for Kara wanting to pursue a career as a reporter, but it might be a good idea for her to — I don’t know — go to school for it first? She thinks Snapper is being “tough” on her, but is it really unreasonable for him to expect her to use AP style and use sources? This is Day 1 stuff here, people. (Follow-up question: If Snapper asks to hear a recording of one of Kara’s interviews with Supergirl, isn’t he going to be like, “That’s just you talking twice”?)

Were you surprised by Miss Martian’s final-moment twist? And which duo — accidentally or not — had cuter moments this week, Alex and Maggie… or Mon-El and Winn? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Morgan says:

I loved Alex and Maggie’s moments! But, Mon-El and Winn won me over. I couldn’t stop laughing.

2. Ginaboi says:

Poor Alex. Finally asks the girl out and gets her heart broken. Typical CW love triangle. At least this one is a full blown lesbian love triangle, so there’s that, LOL.

3. Mary says:

I wasn’t really surprised by M’Gann’s secret. When she started talking about the guard, I realized that she was talking about herself which also explains why she just wants to forget what happened on Mars too.
    ——————–
    Alex and Maggie’s moments were cuter than Mon-El’s and Winn’s though they were good too.

4. datdudemurphy says:

I was already aware of M’Gann’s secret….but was a little shocked they revealed so early.

I didn’t even realize til the preview of next week that Jimmy wasn’t in this week’s episode.

• Erik says:

Yeah I was kind of surprised they revealed it so soon.

• Andy Swift says:

I probably should have brushed up on Miss Martian when she was first announced.

• datdudemurphy says:

It’s not always a good thing.

Sometimes it’s fun knowing what’s coming….wondering how they do it.

But you lose out on the shock, and sometimes get nitpicky about the delivery.
        (for example, the name “Mon-El” still bothers me.)

• Tai says:

It’s definitely okay to go with the surprise sometimes. I only got back into this show after a friend assured me that I would love it after episode seven. And that was the whole Martian Manhunter reveal. She wasn’t wrong. I was definitely surprised even though I know the whole backstory of Martian Manhunter. And even knowing they were introducing Ms. Martian this season, I was surprised. One that she was introduced so early and two that they let the reveal about her out so early.

5. Phun says:

Awesome Episode! The big reveal wasn’t that much of a surprise because I knew who she was but the fact that they didn’t change it, was a surprise. Winn and Mon-El! LOL!

6. Jason says:

are you really trying to convince me Winn is not a little bit gay? He was swooning over mon-el lol

• Andy Swift says:

I assumed Winn was gay the moment he was introduced in the trailer for the pilot… but I’m holding out for evidence.

• Umm … Winn seemed GENUINELY into the evil Siobhan. Didn’t they have scandalous makeout session(s) in the copy room? Haven’t seen any gay guys be that into lady parts. So … bi would be more likely.

• abz says:

He really was. And When Kara said “Maybe don’t let Winn teach you too much about women on this planet”, I was like. “Come on” lol. He really wasn’t the one they were going to have come out?
      Anyways, I hope we get more Winn/Mon-El interactions. They were fun and I’m really enjoying the Winn/Alex interactions too.

• Cirroco says:

He swooned over KaL El too. Loves him some strong men.

7. abz says:

I’m not a comic reader but isn’t Supergirl supposed to be incredibly strong? Yet at times the show makes her look so weak. She gets beat down so easily sometimes it seems. And isn’t she supposed to be fast especially since we saw her race Barry last season and yet she can’t get away fast enough and that big alien fighter grabs her by the cape and slams her? I don’t need to see her be invincible every second, but come on.
    I really like Kara and Mon-El together. I wouldn’t mind seeing that pairing happen.
    “Maybe don’t let Winn teach you too much about women on this planet.”…come on, lol. Tell me it shouldn’t have been Winn who comes out as bisexual. That quote…..
    Anyways I’m really liking this Lena Luther character, not sure if she’s actually evil or not. I think I read somewhere that she’s evil in the comics but not sure. Can’t wait to see how Lena is gonna collect on that favour from Kara.

• KCC says:

Supergirl’s powers are relative to who you’re comparing her to. To humans she’s pretty much invincible, but not to every species in the universe.
      I know quite a few heterosexual men that should not be teaching anyone about women. Some are inexperienced (like Wynn) and some are misogynist. I also know some gay men that understand women very well. I think they’re playing off the nerds don’t know anything about women stereotype. Wynn appears to have very little romantic experience with women, not because he’s gay, but because he’s shy and awkward around them. Also the writer’s might be doing a little misdirection since they decided to tease that a character would come out as gay, sticking in an ambiguous line or two to keep people guessing.

• guessitsme says:

I think Kara’s comment about Wynn not teaching him too much about women has more to do with the fact of Wynn’s inexperience than anything else. First, he was head over heels for Kara and read a lot of the friend signals wrong which almost ended their friendship, then he quickly got “hot & heavy” with the new girl aka Kara’s nemesis at Catco, who ended up being the Silver Banshee. So his track record with women is not all that stellar, which is what I feel like she was referring to.

• abz says:

Oh I completely understand that, just kind of want to see her not taken down so easily every once in a while.
        Yeah, I guess you’re right. I definitely reacted to Kara’s comment within the larger context of the show teasing a gay/bi character coming out and initially thinking when the spoiler came out that it would be Wynn as bisexual. Plus you add in Wynn basically swooning over Mon-El (which was great) and then I thought to myself, really? I really thought it would be him, but at this point there’s probably no misdirect. It’s Alex and Maggie especially after the scene with Alex looking disappointed after Maggie went off with her girlfriend.

• KCC says:

Actually if Wynn has a type it’s not gender based but aliens/superhumans. He seemed enamored with Supergirl, Silver Banshee, Superman and Mon-El. A define pattern there. If anything he’s bisexual with an alien fetish.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

It’s not so much her strength as her ability to take a punch. In some scenes Supergirl is shown being thrown through building and bouncing right back. Like last week when she was tossed into the control tower. But she gets slammed down by the cape just once this time and hours later she is still hurting. They are wildly inconsistent in her ability to absorb and recover from an impact.

• Shelly says:

Very true. When Silver Banshee punched her, it knocked her down. Yet when someone punched Superman he didn’t flinch. Shouldn’t the same have happened when Silver Banshee punched her?

8. Luis Roman says:

You weren’t suprised by Miss Martian if you knew anything about the comic book character. I don’t know who to ‘ship harder for,- Alex and Maggie or Win and Mon-El!

9. Unknown says:

I’m not sure if I liked the fact that their male lead was not in it today but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt since it seems next week is about him I just hope they don’t faze him out or drop him down to a secondary character it was nice having a black male as the male lead on a CW show so like I said I’ll reserve judgement to I see more

• parstl says:

I agree. James has a strong charisma and presence that’s refreshing. Just a real professional and devoted supporter of the main protagonist.

• Nat says:

Ditto. I am really excited for this and I hope they FINALLY explore more of his backstory. I’m trying not to look too deep into the lack of him fitting the CW MO. There is so much potential for James. It’ll be a shame if they waste it.

• John NYC says:

J’onn was clearly the male lead for this episode. And a good one.

10. texmike says:

I’m a little tired of Supergirl getting her butt kicked every week. Also, how about the adventures of Supergirl and not the alien of the week in every show?

• parstl says:

Agree here also. There are plenty of Earth born people and challenges to tackle. Need to tone down the relationship stuff for a bit. Where’s Cat.

• itsOK says:

well she fight the ‘alien’ so yeah maybe sometimes her butt gets kicks,if she fight human maybe she win..its OK for hero gets kick while their in the streets.

11. peterwdawson says:

I was wondering if they were gonna stick with M’Gann’s true origin, glad to see they did. Really adds something to that whole distaff counterpart concept. I mean usually when you get the gender equivalent hero/heroine they have pretty much the same origin, or close enough it matters little. After all Kara’s main difference from Superman, besides gender of course, is that she remembers Krypton and was born before him. Hawkman and Hawkgirl flat out share an origin, and Aquagirl’s origin is usually pretty tied to that of Aqualad’s as well. Miss Martian being of the species that wiped J’onn’s out really gave her something extra.

12. Red Snapper says:

I thought this was a great episode. I love the chemistry between Alex and Maggie. I also like the developing bromance between Winn and Mon-El. Dichen Lachman was great as Roulette and I hope we see her again soon. I wasn’t surprised by the Miss Martian twist and I hope that the reveal to J’onn doesn’t take to long so they can get past it. Also, this is the second time that I did not notice that James wasn’t in the episode. I feel like they don’t really know what to do with his character after the lack of romantic chemistry between him and Kara. I hope the whole making him Guardian doesn’t feel too forced but I think its going to.

13. Dominique says:

you know, at the risk of sounding mean; i’m gonna laugh so hard when it’s revealed that winn is the lgbtq character. after this effort people put in trying to get everyone to believe it’s alex because “who else would it be, you could see the gay from space”, it would be hilarious to see them all be wrong.
    i’m all for winn and mon-el.

14. That end scene was so Young Justice.

15. Elise says:

MAGGIE AND ALEX are so cute together (I just hope they take their time) and to me, Mon-El and Winn had more of a best friend thing but now that you mention romance I can see it happening. However, I’m rooting for KARA AND MON-El

• tvloverSA says:

Karel…..monel and kara give me the romeo and juliet vibes which is great finally some real chemistry in a dc show…..hopefully they don’t bring in the forced feelings for James issue again.

16. gamer says:

I won’t be surprised if lena Luthor was behind roulette’s freedom.

17. Drew says:

So much focus has been on Alex and Maggie, but has anyone else noticed that any time Lena talks to Kara it seems Lena is flirting with her? So I’m wondering if Lena is interested in women, and could that be a future pairing for Alex? I’m thinking Maggie is the spark that lets Alex come out, but eventually Lena and Alex meet and that’s a whole ‘nother level of relationship…

• melaniedhi says:

You’re not alone! I do think that of Lena at all time. And I mean, although they teased one main character coming out, there could be more than one character lgbtq+

18. Nat says:

I know they won’t but I personally hope they go the Winn/Mon-El route. I feel it would be too cliche to go forth with a romance between Kara and Mon-El. I mean I can see it (but I’m sort of eh against it). I think they have a good rapport. But it would be so overdone. And I’ve yet to see what it could really contribute to Kara besides someone who ‘gets it’. Which could easily be done via friendship.

• Nat says:

Not to mention, I doubt they would be so great as to give us a romance between two women and another between two men. BUT ONE CAN HOPE (even if I’m more for James/Winn).

• abz says:

I like Kara/Mon-El, but I would love for Wynn/Mon-El to happen even more. In the end it’s just wishful thinking probably.

19. John. Allen says:

They destroyed the show, it’s too much going on, and then after all that chasing J. Olsen around they have Supergirl have a change of heart why because he’s black. Then to top it off, now let’s begin a lesbian relationship between the two officers. Wow what a way to promote gayness. I’m sorry I know my opinion is like a asshole but really people, the show is screwed now!

• fiberlicious says:

“Supergirl have a change of heart why because he’s black.”

What??? Where on Earth (or any other planet, for that matter) did you come up with that??? SO not so!

• Mai says:

“Supergirl have a change of heart why because he’s black.” LOL. Uh, no. It’s because he, as a character, is a sucky, sucky vacuum that leaves bad storylines and execution in his wake. Sorry to rain on your #blacklivesmatter(only) parade.

• abz says:

Kara and Jimmy didn’t really have romantic chemistry IMO. I still think the way they ended it was weird and not well-written, but in the end, I think they’re better as friends.

20. Bob Wood says:

Alex and Maggie, what can I say, Hollywood is hell bent on shoving same sex relationships in everyone’s face like the whole world is OK with it, well, News flash not everyone is OK with it and while I respect their Life Style I don’t like being Bombarded with these relationships on every show I watch or turn on. Many people don’t like watching this. Hollywood needs to take a chill with it, every show does not need a same sex relationship.

• Mai says:

@Bob Wood – Agreed. Gays are overly represented in Hollywood, above whole minority groups, and even religious and other viewpoints. It’s the “Gay-way” or “the others” (i.e., haters) in Hollywood apparently.

• abz says:

“Every show does not need a same sex relationship”…Why? Because you say so?
      You rarely see gay people complaining when all they see are straight couples on TV shows. Gay people will continue to exist and its great that more shows are starting to write and include them more and people like you need to just deal with it. You aren’t being bombarded with anything. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to watch. Oh and by the way, it’s not a “lifestyle”.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Frankly I am more annoyed by the blatant display of heterosexuality between Edward Nygma and Isabella over on Gotham. Or Barry Allen and Iris West on The Flash. Why do heterosexual relationships keep getting shoved in our faces too? Many people don’t like watching this either.

21. Mac says:

As much as I like this show, does it strike no one odd that a character, who was essentially a photographer for the entire first season, is the best choice to run a company like CatCo? Stretches the unbelievability factor to the extreme limits.

22. tesgirl123 says:

I love Alex as a character but the character of Maggie came literally out of nowhere with really poor character development. Yes, there is chemistry between the two of them and Alex clearly looks smitten but I feel like Maggie has been forced on the audience. It looks like the show moved to the CW so the writers decided there had to be a gay storyline and this is being very rushed. I would prefer a slower build-up of Maggie’s character. An intro in the premier or 2nd episode is fine, and then maybe skip a couple of episodes and a larger role in the 4th or 5th episode, followed by her backstory in the 7th or 8th episode. I feel like her role in the 2nd episode was a exposition dump. This coupled with this newly discovered alien underworld, feels like the show took a very different turn when it moved to the CW.

23. Cate says:

The show is building up a big cast of characters now. Mon-El, Snapper, Maggie, Lena, Miss Martian, and we lose Cat and Maxwell Lord, plus Jimmy was totally absent this week. I’m a bit worried they are diluting the characters and relationships we love. Don’t see the point of Mon-El as another super powered alien. Comic readers, perhaps you know that he is going to have some sort of role – and not just as a potential love interest for Kara or Winn or whoever.

Of the main relationships from S1 – Kara/Alex has been on the back burner a bit. I’m already missing the Kara/Cat stuff, Kara/James is gone, Hank/ the Danvers girls is still a big part though. I hope they take their time with Alex and Maggie, although if they blindside us and make Winn the LGBT character and hook up with Mon-El (he seemed very close with the Daxon blond prince!) I don’t mine either,

24. grys03 says:

I’m finding that I’m constantly explaining stuff to my wife when watching Supergirl, much more so than Arrow, Flash or Legends.
    There really needed to be a ‘soul searching’ speech from Jon Jon’zz about the white martians, the cruelty etc – we did get the odd mention about his background but not enough for non-comic book viewers.
    This this is indicative of the major problem with Supergirl so far & that is so many aliens being introduced too quickly. Not enough back stories for them, no explanation for them. Is Earth like a galactic-bus-stop? Too many of them are too powerful requiring ‘tricksy’ ways to stop them – comics always had this problem with the supers (both man, boy & girl).
    I’m assuming that Roulette is part of at least some semblance of an ongoing threat.
    Hoping that Lena L is playing some sort of dual game. & never thought that I’d dislike a character called Snapper Carr :(
    Thumbs up for the Alex/Maggie storyline. Really enjoying Mon-El – are we to assume that the LoSH ring we glimpsed in season 1 will give us a break from alien of the week stories? & maybe a reason for Mon-El to stay in the future?