The Walking Dead Recap: A Tiger's Tale

“Where there’s life, there’s hope,” King Ezekiel told Carol — and, by extension, all of us — in Sunday’s episode of The Walking Dead. And, after that brutal Season 7 premiere, it was certainly a message that we needed to hear, even if it was still damn hard to believe. Luckily, we had to absorb it the whole rest of the light, funny hour — in which we learned not only how The Kingdom’s leader became its leader but also how he wound up with a pet tiger. So, what’s their story? Read on…

the walking dead season 7 episode 2 recap‘WELCOME TO THE KINGDOM’ | As “The Well” began, Morgan and a delirious Carol were escorted by their Season 6 finale rescuers down a treacherous, walker-infested path to The Kingdom. There, Carol enjoyed a restorative two-day nap before Morgan — in the understatement of the year — explained to her that Ezekiel “does his own thing,” and wheeled her into a theatre for an audience with His Majesty. Oh, and another thing: “I forgot to say that Ezekiel has a tiger,” Shiva.

Odd as His Highness seemed to Carol, he was nothing if not a gracious host. He didn’t even bristle when she mistakenly called his four-legged friend Sheba or turned down his offer of a pomegranate. “I don’t know what the hell’s going on,” Carol exclaimed, “in the most wonderful way.” (How great was it to see her — anyone! — smile?) Since any friend of Morgan’s was to Ezekiel “a friend of the realm,” Carol was welcome to anything she wanted. But all she needed was more rest, she said. “And maybe a hairbrush. No one told me I’d be meeting royalty.” Once alone again with Morgan, Carol could no longer contain her disbelief: “You’re s—ting me, right? This place is a damn circus!” As such, she still intended to split the second her companion wasn’t looking.

the-walking-dead-season-7-episode-2 recap‘FULL, FESTIVE AND FREE’ | Later, Morgan accompanied Ezekiel and some of his subjects — including right-hand man Richard and a lad named Ben — as they rounded up pigs in the city and fed them walkers. Wait… why was that? “I want their bellies full of rot,” Richard told Morgan. “That’s why.” As the swine were trucked “somewhere else” for slaughter, Ezekiel, having noticed Morgan’s proficiency with a staff — and Ben’s ineptitude with everything — asked the newcomer to The Kingdom to train the youngster. “I need him to live,” His Majesty said, for the boy was meant to become an important member of the king’s court. While Morgan began teaching Ben aikido, Carol was busy swiping a knife, some clothes and a chocolate bar (her weakness) in preparation for her getaway.

By and by, it became clear why the pigs had been taken away for slaughter — and why they’d been fed walkers. Ezekiel was keeping it a secret from his subjects that he’d purchased protection for them from — who else — the Saviors. And if you were serving a meal to Negan, wouldn’t you want it to poison him, or at least have a walker-y aftertaste? Delivering the goods to the baddies, Richard got into it with one of the Saviors, prompting them to remind Ezekiel that The Kingdom had better produce during Produce Week. “Otherwise, you know, [Richard’s] gonna have to go first.” Off this unpleasant exchange, Ezekiel deduced that the man Morgan had killed to save Carol had been a Savior.

greys anatomy season 7 episode 2 recap‘YOU’RE SELLING THESE PEOPLE A FAIRY TALE’ | That evening in The Kingdom, Morgan learned that Ben’s father had died in the line of duty for Ezekiel, and that ever since, His Majesty had been helping him raise little Dutch. Ben also explained that the reason the king didn’t want people to know about his deal with the Saviors was that his subjects would want to fight back… but, Ezekiel believed, if they did, it wouldn’t be pretty. (Gee, ya think?)

Meanwhile, Carol was caught by His Highness stealing fruit on her way out of The Kingdom. Though she pretended that she could be of no use to him or his subjects, he saw right through her. “Never bulls— a bulls—ter,” he said. So, at last, they spoke candidly. Carol shot from the hip, calling The Kingdom and its monarch a joke. In response, Ezekiel dropped his facade and admitted that, since these people needed a leader, the sometime community theatre performer had “acted the part.” In other words, “I faked it till I made it.” And he hadn’t, as legend had it, become Shiva’s master by wrestling her. As a zookeeper, he’d once risked his life to save hers, and ever since, she’d been as loyal as a labrador. When the apocalypse hit, he rescued her from the zoo, and they’d been inseparable ever since.

‘WHERE THERE’S LIFE, THERE’S HOPE’ | Having been so frank with Carol, Ezekiel hoped she wouldn’t mind keeping the truth about him a secret for the sake of his subjects. “And a little bit for me,” he added wryly. In spite of their new understanding, Carol still wanted to make tracks. But where would she go? “Away,” she said. Ezekiel theorized that the bad that’s out there would only seem worse when she was alone. Besides, “its not all bad,” he noted. “It can’t be.” Finally, he suggested that she go… and not go. “Why do you care?” she asked. “’Cause it makes me feel good,” he answered.

Turned out, going and not going meant setting up Carol in a little house just outside of The Kingdom. Saying goodbye to Morgan, she admitted that she’d begun regretting all the times she tried to stab him. In turn, he called her “my favorite person that I ever knocked out… Definitely Top 2 or 3.” No sooner had Carol dispatched the undead former occupant of her new digs and built a fire than there was a knock at the door: Ezekiel, taking Shiva for a walk and bringing his neighbor a pomegranate. “You really gotta try one of these,” he insisted. And it sure looked like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

So, what did you think of “The Well”? First impression of King Ezekiel? Hit the comments.

1. Matt C. says:

I really loved this episode. It was such a nice change of pace after how dark and depressing last week was. I think it was important for the viewers to see, just as Carol did, that there is still light and hope, even in this world. I can’t wait to see what happens next with King Ezekiel and Carol.

• Andrea says:

That is at least until it goes back to Negan and the possibility of seeing yet again more people being butchered. I’m still very cynical that there is really going to be ‘hope’ for anyone in this series long term, even with the tiger.

2. Kermit says:

I was surprised by how much I liked this episode. Even Shiva grew on me.

But what a downer that these people have no idea what happened with Negan yet.

3. Jason says:

One of the best character intros for the walking dead.

4. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I LOVE Tigers they’re my favorite animals and seeing Shiva made me happy!! Especially after last wks. emotional F’D UP episode. King Ezekiel and side kick Jerry are becoming my new favorite characters.

5. AngelWasHere says:

Not gonna lie I was like “WTF” at first, but I slowly came around. It was alright.

6. Amy K. says:

I already loved Ezekiel and Shiva from the comics and they and the Kingdom really added a refreshing new element to the show. I like the action and even the horror but exploring different kinds of communities can be interesting even when they’re not filled with cannibals or psychos.

7. SayNay says:

I burst out laughing the minute the choral group started singing Bob Dylan. It was just so over the top. I guess the writers are trying to apologize for emotionally gutting people like fish last week.

8. Lilly says:

Even though it was slower, and I’m dying to learn about our others group, I was struck by how wise a man Ezekiel is and how that juxtaposed to his over-the-too persona. Glad they took the time to introduce us properly to him.

9. Mary Burrell says:

Respite from the sadness of last Sunday

10. Mary Burrell says:

It’s funny when he talks like bad community theater especially when he calls her fair maiden.

11. Brian says:

Surprised by how much I enjoyed this episode and how much I liked King Ezekiel and Shiva.

12. Spence says:

This was a really incredible episode. Ezekiel is probably the best new character since Abraham and co. in season 4! Love the possibilities this episode has opened up for so many characters!

13. RichieS says:

I would love to see Shiva turn a group of Negan’s punks into tiger chow.

14. Shaun says:

This was kinda a rehash of the original Alexandria.

15. LAwoman says:

I had been looking forward to seeing Ezekiel and Shiva and was not disappointed. Jerry is a plus. Great sidekick. Carol is always a favorite of mine and her smirks and snark were perfect.

16. Ha! Jerry…I hope he sticks around awhile…we need some comedic relief to balance out the horror we all witnessed and won’t soon forget

17. Lala says:

I really needed this episode. Carol had me in stitches hen she first met Ezekiel…Liked the intro of Ezekiel more after his heart to heart with Carol. The Tiger was magnificent…

18. Sarah94 says:

I really enjoyed this episode and King Ezekiel was amazing lol and he clearly is trying, unlike Negan,to make a community of good people and trying to help them.

19. wrstlgirl says:

Another great episode. I really like the way this season is going.

20. Missy says:

I enjoyed this episode. It was refreshing after last week’s darkness and I even lol’ed a couple of times. However, I don’t like when they focus an entire episode on one group and we don’t get to see what the rest of the characters are up to. The flip flop between the prison episodes and the Woodbury episodes drove me bonkers. I hope this season doesn’t end up being like that.

21. Joey Padron says:

New episode was so good. Much better and lighter episode after season premiere episode. New characters did good in episode. Glad Carol & Morgan are good.

22. DB says:

I liked it. It was a good episode. But if eating pigs that had fed on the walkers make them ill & die wouldnt that had happened to the group after they killed and ate that pack of wild dogs as you know they had to have eaten walkers at at some point. Only logical reason not to would be that animals are immue to walkers and cant pass it on by eating the infected since you never see any dead animals come back to life.

• Zach says:

I think it’s more of the principle of it, than actually getting them infected. Like, “Screw you, you’re eating walkers and don’t even know it.” It’s something to making the people of The Kingdom feel better.

• wrstlgirl says:

It’s pretty hilarious. Eat these dirty pigs, you scum, lmao!!! I’m dying to know who in the Kingdom Negan killed. Wonder if we’ll get the story??

23. Dr. Mantis Toboggan says:

Looks like Carol will become royalty :)

Ben looks like the latest character introduced purely to die in a few episodes.

24. BamaEd says:

I didn’t love this episode like the rest of you did. I usually hate when they focus on 1-2 characters for a full episode, and this was no exception. The over the top of The Kingdom was too much for me and at times seemed silly. I’m sure that was the point but I just couldn’t get into it. I was Carol the whole episode. It did redeem itself at the end with Ezekiel’s reveal, but that dang monologue went on WAAAAAY too long. They need to find a way to integrate storylines though. This didn’t need to be an entire episode, in my opinion.

• AngelWasHere says:

I actually agree with you and felt the same way about it being silly, but the reveal saved it for me. Still not sure about the tiger. Beautiful, but vet unrealistic behavior wise. It would have ate his by now. ;P I think I had the same look as Carol at the beginning tho.

• Justin says:

Yeah, I kinda didn’t get it either, I think this whole King Ezekial thing is just bizarre. I actually feel like at times, I am watching completely different shows. But seriously, the pet Tiger is so cliche and predictable. It’s obviously not going to stay domesticated for long, that dude better watch it. He will be lucky if the only thing he loses is a limb.

25. shirl says:

Is Rick out of the picture?

26. Terrier says:

This episode was a joke, right? This is what Gimple and his cliffhanger-squad came up with after killing off Glenn? Zookeeper’s funny improv-theatre? A pet tiger? really?
    The whole episode was so silly, sooo over the top and cartoonish. And certainly not in a good way.