DWTS Season 23

Dancing With the Stars Week 7 Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

We’ve reached Week 7 of Dancing With the Stars‘ 23rd season, and you know what that means: It’s become very clear which contestants stand a chance at the Mirrorball… and which ones, well, don’t.

As the remaining couples performed iconic styles from different eras in history, a handful of duos proved exactly why they should be part of the finale in four weeks’ time. The others, unfortunately, struggled to make a convincing pitch for viewers’ precious votes.

Let’s break down the best and worst performances from Eras Night:

BEST OF THE NIGHT
James Hinchcliffe and pro Sharna Burgess (1940s Jitterbug) — I’ve previously been tough on James for his blank facial expressions in the moments when he most needs to act. This week, though, the racecar driver completely embraced the whimsical, nostalgic mood of the dance, transforming himself into a young man believably infatuated with the dazzling Ms. Burgess. He was light on his feet, totally committed to those gasp-inducing somersault lifts and mighty deserving of the closing spot in Monday’s lineup. Judges’ Score: 36/40

BEST OF THE NIGHT (RUNNER-UP)
Calvin Johnson and pro Lindsay Arnold (1950s Jive) — At long last, the NFL pro broke free from the middle of the pack on Monday night, serving up a jive that was both energetic and filled with tricky content that Calvin mastered. What’s more, Calvin ditched his usual “Dancing is a little silly!” expression and, instead of looking sheepish about pulling off goofy choreography, seemed completely at ease with the routine’s upbeat nature. Judges’ Score: 36/40

MOST DISAPPOINTING
Marilu Henner and pro Derek Hough (1920s Charleston) — After delivering magnificent performances two weeks in a row, the former Taxi star seemed to backslide into her tense, anxious ways during the Charleston. Despite her experience with this dance style, thanks to her past gig as Chicago‘s Roxie Hart, Marilu failed to bring the lighthearted playfulness that the Charleston requires. And although Marilu and Derek may not have noticed at the time, they were painfully out-of-sync during the middle of the number, which was only effective if it was properly synchronized. Judges’ Score: 29/40

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Ryan Lochte and pro Cheryl Burke (1990s Rumba) — Even though Maureen and Artem had their fair share of footwork slip-ups, they at least committed to the fierce attitude of their Bon Jovi song. Ryan and Cheryl, on the other hand, turned in a wholly lethargic rumba, even with Aerosmith’s intensely romantic “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” helping them out. As the rock ballad reached its peak, I hoped the Olympic swimmer would put some passion into his movements — but everything about this typically sensual style was lazy and uninspired. Judges’ Score: 28/40

And now, your results:

TWO COUPLES IN JEOPARDY
Maureen McCormick and pro Artem Chigvintsev
Jana Kramer and pro Gleb Savchenko

ELIMINATED
Maureen McCormick and pro Artem Chigvintsev

Your turn, Dancing fans! Were Maureen and Artem the right choice for elimination? Who wowed you during Monday night’s broadcast? Leave all of your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Diane says:

No more crying, yay. I think Artem was relieved.

• jr. says:

Wish ABC would let the viewers give suggestions as to who might be future celebrity contestants. I really like watching the pro dancers the most, and feel bad for them ( and us ) when they get saddled with some of the ‘stars’ that the show has chosen to be contestants.

2. Lance says:

I know Artem was happy, he was not enjoying himself. Why is Ryan still safeel and Jana was in the bottom 2.

3. Bonesfan47 says:

how was Jana Kramer in jeopardy of going home after last weeks performance???? That makes no since at all she should have been safe as she was amazing and got a perfect score from the judges last week.

• Keith says:

It’s for drama-the bottom two is not always the two lowest scores

• Raul J says:

I’m fairly sure Jana and Gleb weren’t in actual jeapordy. It’s possible they were there tonight at the last minute because of Gleb’s comments about the show not being a dance competition. The producers may have wanted to put a scare in them.

• Beth says:

It’s the same as when James & Sharna were in jeopardy when they were at the top of the leader board. THEY WEREN’T it was for drama.

4. Brady for evah says:

Marcia, Marcia,Marcia. Somewhere Mike Brady is giving here a life lesson pep talk.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

Indeed – Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. it was nice to see Mo get this far in the competition… as the competition moves into the final November weeks, it gets harder and harder to stay out of judges’ jeopardy. Another week would have been nice, but still good to have gotten this far along in the competition here in week #7.

Well done Maureen – all the best to you!

• Iakovos says:

I am always bummed when a ‘star’ who truly enjoys the experience is sent home. Producers went odd with the tease for the bottom two last night. A perfect score for Jana/Gleb and showrunners want us to believe they could go? Really? I feel for Artem. Sexy talented man to watch. Give him a ringer in the spring. Don’t make him the next Tony D!

• np20 says:

Unless the producers want them to stick around and they’re not getting the kind of votes hoped for. Placing them in bottom two could be way for the producers to get more people to vote for them next week

5. Caddy heron says:

Why is ryan lochte still on television

• Terry says:

and cheryl needs to go too. after last year reading what she publicly said about previous partners she was paired with, I am surprised they brought her back.

6. Caroline says:

James is my favorite. I’ve thought his facial expressions all along have been great, not just tonight. I’m surprised Marilu just doesn’t have the right stuff. Also Laurie doesn’t seem to be getting better either, and she started out so great.

7. hal says:

Until Lochte goes away, then the wrong choice will be made every time.

8. Iris says:

I love Laurie, but honestly – I can’t help but think that every time she speaks about anything she isn’t exactly giving homeschooling a good rap.

9. benjitek says:

Finally… :-)

10. Julie Aurand says:

Ryan Lochte couple should go home. They really aren’t very good!!!

11. meleliot says:

Sorry Maureen, it was definitely your time to go (as much as I think Ryan and his flipper hands and feet should have gone). Her dance was awkward and embarrassing. They did her a disservice with that style. Artem, you are finally free!

12. Kathleen Hefner says:

I am glad Maureen is gone now. Could not take her crying all the time. She looks horrible for her age. I’m her same age, and don’t have all the wrinkles like she does. She needs a facelift badly!

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

In defense of Maureen, she has had some weight gain/loss challenges in the last decade or so, and I believe that can lead to wrinkles as skin expands and contracts. I remember Courtney Cox mentioned a few years ago that as actresses try to lose weight and fat in certain areas, the face and neck lose some of that fat as well, and that can lead to the wrinkles. Hence, that’s why many actresses go with Botox … to help fill in the face as the body loses weight. It’s a constant battle.
      I give Mo credit for showing another side of an actress’ ‘look.’ Rather than Botox, Mo went with a more natural look, winkles and all. I liked it – she looked like Mo, herself, the woman I remember all these years. I think she wanted to show that side of her on DWTS, having just reached 60, and good for her. A liberating move and a compliment to all women in their 60s. Many women her age would give a fortune to look like Maureen. For her age, she looks fantastic! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!!

I commend you for looking younger than Mo… I’m sure you have taken good care of yourself, and that is something you should cherish and be proud of. Well done young lady! :)

13. Beth says:

When is Ryan getting voted off? He should’ve been gone right after Rick Perry.

• Leesa says:

Ryan may not be a very good dancer but he obviously has a big fan base and that is what is keeping him.. Ryan is very good looking and a lot of people want to see him.. It was time for Maureen to go home. Marilu should go next… Looking forward to next weeks Halloween show..

14. I don’t think Ryan was the worst… he had the steps and take his blank face as his swimming “game face”… I was horrified by Marilou and Derek. I don’t know what he is doing to her, but she has such an awesome personality and most of the time when she dances with him I actually wince for her. Ryan was never a dancer and looks okay… Marilou was a fantastic dancer with stage experience and she looks shell-shocked and frightened, and that is on the teacher.

15. Patti says:

The right couple went home I believe. We are talking about the dances last week, not this week. What I am getting tired of is ‘someone’ saying, what if I can’t get it bapecayse of my size? What if I can’t keep up with them. Always tears. At 1st it made me want to vote for her, now I want her to go home or else act like a grownup that she is. they all have their problems & you don’t care about that! Just go home & feel sorry for yourself!! Personally I have had 5 surgeries, 2 of them cervical, and as much as I would love to, I’m not allowed to do any of these dances!!

16. Some random observations:
    I loved the team past dance, so elegant and they really worked well together.
    Why does the contestant have to lose points from Carrie Ann for the lifts and Len for all the extra razzle dazzle? The pros are the ones preparing the choreography and should know they’ll be called out for it. As for Carrie Ann and Len they should realize this is a T.V. show that needs some razzle dazzle or else it would get too boring to watch every week.

17. brenda westbrook says:

Ryan should of gone home. But Maureen was a cry baby. Artem Dodd great. She was difficult