Sneakers NBC Remake

Sneakers Adaptation Eyed at NBC, Based on Robert Redford Hacker Film

NBC has put into development an adaptation of Sneakers, the 1992 hacker movie that starred Robert Redford.

The original light-hearted thriller followed a group of security experts who are blackmailed by the U.S. government into stealing a top-secret device that they come to realize could be dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. The film’s cast also included Dan Aykroyd, River Phoenix, Sidney Poitier, Mary MacDonnell and Timothy Busfield.

Per our sister site Deadline, former The Mentalist executive producer Tom Szentgyorgyi will write the adaptation and exec-produce alongside Walter Parkes (who co-wrote the ’92 film) and Laurie MacDonald.

How does this latest reboot/remake/adaptation sound? And who would be your pick to fill Robert Redford’s shoes?

1. Simon Jester says:

SNEAKERS has always been ripe for adaptation… but I don’t trust NBC to do so without making the entire cast millennials (whereas in the original, their older age was rather the point, with only River Phoenix representing the younger generation).

• KLS says:

Agreed. The casting and tech. will be tricky. They need something like “Enemy of the State”, old & new tech, old & new engineer. Oh wait, isn’t ABC doing that, but not really?

• jericho says:

Isn’t Scorpion just a different take on this model? Don’t get me wrong, I loved Sneakers, but it just seems like its been done.

• Ben says:

I don’t really see them as the same. Now that you say it I can see where you are coming from, though. They would need this to feel very different from Scorpion. I like Scorpion, but I like it in a very different way to Sneakers. Sneakers has a kind of tension than Scorpion lacks.

Here’s one thing it really needs. It needs Cosmo to be a constant – a series regular. The adversary can’t be a MacGuffin.

2. Collette says:

Oh goodie, another retread. How long before they crank out a new Moonstruck or On Golden Pond? Stop the insanity. This is not the intended result of recycling. The remake is rarely as good as let alone better than the original. Ocean’s 11 is a notable exception.

• Ben says:

Battlestar Galactica?

Sneakers is one of my favourite movies. I agree that the remake is likely not going to be as good as the movie. But I’m totally willing to give it a try.

3. Writerpatrick says:

Will this be sponsored by Nike?

4. auntiemm says:

What do these people do? Do they scan their online guides at night until ‘hey, there’s one we haven’t pitched yet’? Good grief.

5. HAP says:

This is certainly timely, given what happened yesterday.

6. spdavid says:

I always liked this film a lot and can see the appeal of turning it into a series.Obviously it would be a modernized story based on this film not as remake of it which might or might not lead to trouble on network TV.Network can be terrible at this kind of thing versus say a FX or TNT.

But I’d love a character named Martin Bishop….

7. Janine says:

I am fairly sure they will manage to squeeze out all that was fun about Sneakers, namely the so-called cerebral aspects of it, and replace it with action scenes. Case in point, see new MacGyver, from which all the joy was sucked out through millennial casting and more guns and fisticuffs each episode than there were in the entirety of the first series.

8. Bark Star says:

* sigh *

9. tsevca says:

I remember it, but how is that a theme for a show? Unless it would have nothing in common with the film other than the name and hackers.