Fall TV Report Card: 24 Ways to Improve 14 New Shows

The Fall TV season is now in full swing and racing towards November sweeps. As such, it’s time to take stock of the “freshman class” and deliver a progress report on each show’s strengths and weaknesses.

What could Kiefer Sutherland’s Designated Survivor do to lock in our vote? How could Michael Weatherly’s Bull better win over this jury? How could the future look brighter for timey-wimey Timeless and Frequency? Is it too late for Conviction to make a case for a second chance? In what ways is even This Is Us coming up short?

In the photo gallery at right, the TVLine staff sizes up the first episodes of 14 freshman shows, denoting what’s working… and what, frankly, needs work. See what we have to say and then share your own “report card” for the new fare you have been sampling.

1. marco collins says:

The male leads on Timeless need to be clean shaven and not have modern product in their hair. There was no three day stubble or scruf style before the 80s and people in 1930s would ask why the guy isn’t shaven and has candle wax in his hair like they asked why Flynn was in his pajamas. It’s lazy to think that only women’s style changed andthe men can get by without changing a thing.

• Data1001 says:

I keep thinking about this with the show 12 Monkeys, as well — though I suspect Cole’s ever-present stubble is likely due to the actor (or perhaps show runners) thinking he doesn’t look nearly as “cool” with a clean-shaven mug.

• marco collins says:

My local casino runs tv ads featuring couples from a bygone era all dressed up and the guy has stubble. You can shave the guy’s face, it will grow back. So if you going to all the trouble to be period correct with the style and music, shave his face.

• Temperance says:

Though I think Sullivan Stapleton is screamin’ hot, I have to say the same thing about him on Blindspot. The Assistant Director of the FBI won’t shave or trim his hairline or neck? He certainly looks great with (and less great without), but it’s absurd to cast someone that doesn’t look (or sound) the part. (Sorry, Sully – it’s not you. You’re great.)

• Jane says:

Totally agree. I thought I was the only one that was bugged by the stubble. They are so attentive to other details. He really needs to shave

• mary says:

Hmmm…maybe my father was before his time, but he put product in his hair to smooth down his curls. And he had to put a lot in. He passed away in 83′ at the age of 50. Even in photos going back, he used product in his hair.

2. jj says:

I am enjoying This Is Us but young Kevin was right when he said the focus is on Kate’s weight and Randall’s being adopted issues. I do hope we get to see more layers, issues etc.

• The Brown says:

I think THIS IS HIS ISSUE. his character has this sense of inadequacy, both in the workplace and emotional. his being “normal” is also what caused his detachment from a family too taken to protect the other two children. to be honest, this very fragile and normal side of a man who makes an enjoyable character. if you upset with too dramatic story or issue, he would lose the genuine thick that owns.

• Jamie says:

I agree with The Brown. Adult Kevin is super insecure despite the amount of fame and celebrity he has – he calls Kate for reassurance about *everything*, and when she didn’t pick up this last time, he showed up at Randall’s house unannounced so he could get it there. He is constantly looking for attention and approval from the people around him, and this clearly stems from his feeling like his parents put all the attention on Kate and Randall when they were kids. His insecurity is his issue.

3. Kate says:

Regarding Bull: You said, “Supporting characters still scream to be fleshed out; namely, what does Benny do exactly?” First, only 4 episodes have aired. Your patience is exactly nill. There hasn’t even been back-story on the MAIN character yet. And second … seriously? Of all the main supporting cast, Benny is pretty much the ONLY one who has had some fleshing out. Maybe you’re watching the wrong show, or you need glasses…

• darkangel200 says:

I should have read your reply before I posted mine!

• Lauren says:

It doesn’t sound like are asking for back story but just a better idea of who these people are and the jobs they have on team. Could be wrong! And I agree, only the fashion guy from Hamilton has gotten much screen time, and maybe the blond lady.

4. darkangel200 says:

While I agree that Bull’s team needs to be fleshed out more, I think they’ve done a good job doing just that a little more in each episode. We’ve only seen four eps, so as long as they keep peeling back the characters more and more, I’ll be fine. And Benny in the TAC team’s legal consultant and sometimes-lawyer. Agree with your other comments/suggestions.

• Slh says:

Fully agree on Bull. I love this show so far and it’s only been 4 EPs. Love MW. I think this will grow into its own through the season and am very much looking forward to it.

On Lethal Weapon, I was so on the fence about even taking a look at the pilot as I didn’t want it to suck that I would cringe at the name when I see the movies. I have to say I like it. It needs a little fine tuning as mentioned with the flashy action at times and growing the cast as far as others being more involved. But it is good so yay.

All others don’t watch and from the descriptions doesn’t seem like I am missing out.

5. CaptMediocre says:

I’ve dropped all of these except Designated Survivor and Timeless.

If Timeless doesn’t explain the reasoning behind Flynn having to adjust time (in other words THE SHOW”S MAIN PREMISE) in the next few episodes, it too will fall off the watch list.

• Temperance says:

I’m loving Abagail Spencer as Lucy (in the better written parts of the scripts), but I agree that it’s getting pretty far along without giving us some clues as to what they show (or at least this phase of the show) is all about. It seems too random.

• Katherine215 says:

Totally agree. Is it going to be a procedural with them chasing Flynn every week? Is it going to be more sci-fi focused? Is it going to be something else? Either way, tell us why he’s doing what he’s doing so we care about stopping it.

• arianeb says:

Memo to show runners: Yes it is fun to have a central mystery, but when the central mystery is the mystery of the premise of the show this is not good. But the writers obviously know this, just listen carefully to Rufus’s talk with Wyatt at the end of Atomic City:
      Rufus: “Aren’t you at all curious as to why this is all happening?
      Wyatt: “I don’t get trained in why, just the who, what, where, and when.”
      Rufus: “Yeah but without the why, how can we be sure we are on the right side of things?”
      Thanks Rufus, you have summed up most of the audiences problem with the show so far, and I hope this is a sign that they are about to fix it.

• chelliep says:

I’m having a problem with Timeless.. The bad guy always wins… he always gets the best of the muscle guy supposedly supporting the historian who seems to be the only one who wants to protect the history of the world. The rest of the cast are intent on changing it to fit their own interests.. The lady on the show who chose these people for the task should be fired. Don’t tell me there’s not a retired marine or a judo expert who could take out Flynn.. and yes, I will agree with CaptMediocre about needing to know why Flynn wants to change time..How does he know he won’t erase himself…

6. Jimmy says:

I’ve found Bull a little disappointing. The stories so far haven’t been all that interesting and they should consider paring down the cast, most of them are little more than background. I really want to like Conviction simply because of Hayley Atwell, but again the stories aren’t all that interesting — at least the case stories, the interactions between Hayes and her mother are great.

• Data1001 says:

Right with you, Jimmy. I don’t really know the actor in Bull at all, but I absolutely loved Hayley Atwell in Agent Carter and a few other things I’ve seen her in. However, I found the writing in both shows to be simply abysmal — laughably bad, even. Couldn’t hang with Bull after the first episode, and gave up on Conviction after the 2nd one.

• Joan Godette says:

I did give BULL a chance. I watched the first two episodes. I honestly enjoyed the show and the cast. I honestly must say that I do not enjoy looking at Michael’s discheveled appearance. Maybe this is the way he is supposed to look for the show, but it really doesn’t do it for me. Please give him a better look, namely, a new hairdo as well as a razor.This character makes him look much too old!!!!!

• chelliep says:

I must agree with Jimmy about Bull… here I was really looking forward to seeing Michael Weatherly in a new light outside of NCIS but.. I watched the first show..I still have the rest of the episodes on my DVR, haven’t felt compelled to watch them instead of other new shows or older shows like Blacklist..

7. tallsy says:

Yikes! I disagree with almost all these. I don’t see any chemistry between Sunjata/Perabo at all on Notorious or find Richards’s character interesting. I would much rather spend time with Grant, Guzman, and the news cycle than the law.

I don’t buy Atwell’s “Bad Girl” persona at all and to the extent I do, it’s annoying. I find it hard to believe that anyone finds the will they/won’t they with the DA compelling.

Maggie Q’s unnecessary in Designated Survivor. The rest of the show is wildly unrealistic.

• Temperance says:

Actually Keifer and Maggie Q are the best parts of DH. I have trouble with some of the rest of the cast, and the storylines are indeed wildly unrealistic.

• jericho says:

Exactly, I WANT to like both Notorious and Conviction. I ancillary staff of both the news and law offices either need to go or they need to be front and center. Richards needs to find himself a role in which he will be featured and not the backseat for 1 scene a week.

Conviction just doesn’t work. The entire premise of “finding the truth” just doesn’t work in a procedural. We want either a story about catching the criminal or clearing the innocent not a combination of both. Even when you exonerate someone they have to find the real criminal or it doesnt feel like we have closure. As for the characters, well they are boring. The closest thing to an interesting relationship on the show is Atwell and her on screen brother commiserating about their parents. Plus its an absolute crime to make Atwell cover up her British accent. (Right about know ABC should be kicking themselves for canceling Agent Carter.)

8. Collette says:

For my money they can cancel all but MacGyver and Designated Survivor. Can’t watch any of the others for a variety of reasons.

• Temperance says:

MacGuyver was terrible.

• KLS says:

Totally overhyped show. Give it the full season to use up it’s paperclips and explosions, but if this gets renewed, my faith in CBS (which is pretty low as is) will take a serious hit.

• Jamie says:

Lmao well This Is Us was already picked up for a full season.
      And MacGyver is so so bad.

• Collette says:

MacG is on during family hour and interesting to the young boys in my family. It makes them think about problem solving and ingenuity.

• chelliep says:

I agree with you about MacGyver… I watched the first episode, I watched the terrible second episode.. this next episode about the train looks more interesting.. but to be perfectly honest..the only reason I am recording it is I like the way Lucas Till looks.. what a hottie ;) Maybe the writers can come up with some better storylines.. and George Eads looks like he has really aged and also..he is supposed to be MacGyver’s protection.. why is the protection never as good as the bad guy ??? This really bugs me…the writer’s can surely find some good storyline trick to make the bad guy prevail sometimes instead of violently attacking the protection…give Mac 2 protection guys then…they always like to make these shows about bromance.. like Hawaii 5-0. But then H50 has a great supporting cast with interesting storylines. MacG seems so primitively written for a prime time show.

9. Pia says:

Kate’s story on This Is Us is about more than just her weight. She’s learning how to be her own person, now that Kevin has moved away.

• Gena says:

Mostly agreed with this. Still, it’s like she’s gone from her life revolving around her brother to revolving around Toby; while he seems like a pretty good guy so far, I think it would be nice to see Kate also find at least one friend or interest outside of her romantic and family relationships and her weight issues. :)

• Cas says:

While I agree with this I also think it is normal for some people. A lot of people who just enter into a new relationship sort of just have their life revolve around that. I think it is pretty common. Especially if you have someone with low self esteem in the first place. And judging by the amount of time she spent talking about her weight I would think she does.

• Pia says:

Gena makes a good point. I really hope Kate doesn’t quit the job at the boutique just because Toby asked her too. But imdb only has the the ex-wife credited for one episode so chances are low. It’s interesting how the show withholds information. I was wondering for a while what Kate did for a living, and why Kevin was such a jerk asking her to do all this stuff for him. Bad editing? On purpose? Also when did Randall tell his daughters that William was their grandfather?

10. Data1001 says:

I’ve been digging Designated Survivor and am surprised to be enjoying Lethal Weapon so much. I also like Frequency and Timeless enough that I’ll probably keep watching both at least through the end of their seasons. Saw the pilot for This Is Us, and thought it wasn’t bad… but wasn’t excited enough to watch any more of the show.

• Anne says:

I’m loving Lethal Weapon too. And I disagree with the post – I think the large action sequences (like the pool) are well balanced with the internal emotional stuff.

• tvfan says:

I agree avout Lethal Weapon – the action sequences are balanced by the guys trying to understand each other. Besides, the show title is Lethal Weapon and I always thought it referred to Riggs, so the action sequences need to be big and a little over the top.

11. as524 says:

yes, we get it…you prefer This is Us to Bull so will slam Bull whenever possible either in support of the show you favor or the ‘critic’ who got butt hurt at the TCAs over the summer and remains butt hurt like a tantrum-throwing toddler.

12. Anne says:

Conviction : I actually really like the supporting characters and I’m intrigued to see where they go. I think they really help balance out the selfish destructive zeal of Atwell’s character.

• Randino says:

I totally agree. I’m also looking forward to seeing where they go with the supporting characters. I’m really enjoying the balance.

• Anne says:

Like the gay forensic guy whose boyfriend is in prison – is his case going to come in front of the squad or be side-related somehow??? And what did he do?? What did “Beth” (the blonde from Walking Dead) exactly do in her aunt’s trial??? And when The Ashmore helped keep that terrorist in jail by breaking some laws, that really made his character interesting. And the lady cop, what’s her deal?!?
        So they aren’t boring at all. Glad someone agrees! :)

• tara17 says:

I’m enjoying Conviction as well. I find the cases and situations interesting and fast-paced Some of the writing needs improvement.

13. kmw says:

I have to agree with all of what you recommended . Kate on This is Us should have a story besides her weight. and on Designated Survivor it does seem that no one is as upset as they should be

14. Tahoe Mike says:

The only one of these that I’m watching is Designated Survivor. I think I just like that alt universe better than the real one.
    I gave up on Timeless after two weeks. I was delighted to see super cutie Bailey Nobel as the sister Amy, then they disappeared her in the pilot. This show is a Nothing But Cliches (NBC) special. Every time travel show cliche ever, the secret govt conspiracy, the trigger happy military guy, blah blah blah. I’m out on that one.

15. Jenna says:

Yes! Loving this is us, but my one complaint is that Kate’s entire storyline has been “I’m a big fat fatty”. It would be nice to have a character who is overweight and where that’s an issue, but there entire life and personality does not revolve around being fat. It’s getting old.

16. Lisa Echerd says:

Glad I gave up on Designated Survivor. Sounds like they have not and aren’t planning to fix my major issue with the show which is that whoever is writing it must have been living under a rock on and for the first few weeks after 9/11. I think the scenario set up in the show would have even more devastating consequences certainly to the people in D.C.
    Speechless is wonderful and I agree about This is Us.
    Nothing can save Kevin Can Wait but something could save us – have the show cancelled after the first season.

17. ScottJ says:

The Good Place isn’t exactly a comedy so I have no problem with the CGI / special effects scenes. Agree some of the flashbacks haven’t been a great fit but at least so far they’re brief and do have a connection to the ongoing narrative.

As for Bull..the entire concept is ridiculous. Call it science fiction and I might accept it, although the lead is still a smarmy git.

• Gena says:

My thoughts exactly on TGP. :) I think Eleanor’s flashbacks are getting to be a little one-note (like okay, we get how big a jerk she was); but it was pretty interesting and fun to see a bit of Jianyu/Jason’s past.

18. Katy Penland says:

Almost more than better writing, getting Kiefer Sutherland to drop that affected whispering would be a vast improvement. I’d almost watch Designated Survivor again. Almost.

19. Gena says:

Agreed on ‘Speechless’. :)

In a TV Guide Q&A shortly before the premiere, Minnie Driver said something about the show’s larger story arc dealing with how her character must gradually (however reluctantly) figure out who she is outside of her relationship with son JJ as the young man further asserts his independence. I would love to see — as part of that process — the show explore more of the dynamic between Maya and husband Jimmy (the most recent episode touched on it a little bit when he talked about how she turns on her British charm to sweet-talk him into doing stuff around the house he otherwise doesn’t know how to do), and maybe even eventually offer a little insight into their backgrounds and how they got together in the first place.

20. Chuck says:

I do enjoy Timeless but I agree that Lucy has had two face-to-face moments with Flynn, and in the interest of furthering the plot, he just gives her cryptic clues when he could very easily have told her what he’s doing. Of course that would be the end of the show because they’d either kill him or refuse to work for the people sending them on their missions. Unfortunately a necessary storytelling evil for a regular series. And once that plot device is resolved where does the series go from there?

It’s a similar problem with Designated Survivor. Both shows have interesting premises, but they really don’t seem to have stories that can be sustained believably for more than a season. And if they do try to drag it out over a five season period, viewers are going to get bored.

21. danoregon says:

You hit the nail on the head with DS. Destroying the Congress would be 9/11 x 100 and the tone of the characters doesn’t match it. Granted we’re only three or four hours in – but instead of wasting time on juniors drug stuff or immigration subplots – why not show former Presidents coming to offer counsel to Kirkman. He must have some mentors in his life (besides his wife). I really don’t think characters would be playing the self-interest card so soon after an attack of this magnitude. (The Michigan sub-plot).
    You also figure there might have been more than two other members of the Judiciary and Legislative not in the hall – maybe in a hospital somewhere or overseas.
    Some flashbacks would also help in clarifying the relationship between Kirkman and the President.
    I do like the idea that he’s not the only one dealing with the transition though – a new First Lady. The scrutiny etc.
    We don’t need another conspiracy show – rebuilding government

• Anne says:

Ooo ya, former Presidents offering aid would be a great element for the show. And I agree about the self-interest so soon after an attack like that.
      I did however really like the Michigan stuff. It was ballsy television, waded into a legally nebulous area, and allowed our hero a chance to show he can be a hard ass.

• Irving says:

By now there should be talk of an appointed vice president, too. IRL the media would be yammering on the subject nonstop.

22. Allegra says:

My two cents: I feel that Kate’s storyline is rather truthful in the sense that if you are overweight, it is possible (from my experience) that it does affect everything in your life and all situations and relationships. Should your life revolve around your weight issues, no, but unfortunately for some people, it can feel like that. To me, Kevin’s character, instead, seems too much of a cliche: a pretty actor boy who wants to be taken seriously and that’s all he’s trying to do without any real caring for anything or anyone else.

Also the complaint that the siblings are not together all the time – that’s how life often is as adults unless you all live along the same street or something. You each have your own lives that keep you busy and you only touch base with your family every now and then, and that’s okay.

23. dman6015 says:

Regarding Speechless. Fantastic show. Everyone should be watching it.

However, it’s somewhat apparent that you do not know much about the world of parenting a child with different abilities. Yes, she’s an over-the-top SuperMom. That is what you’re going to find in their world. Anything and everything is done to support, protect and advocate for their child. Sure, it seems overboard, but that’s real life.

24. TvLover says:

This Is Us, I hope Kate has a better storyline than just her weight, and I hope they explain why the mom and Miguel are together in the present.
    Speechless, no complaints here. Great show!
    Timeless, don’t get me wrong I like Goran Visnjic, and he is very convincing as a bad guy, and I understand that by catching him the show is pretty much over, but couldn’t the team capture him once by now. Lucy has had two run ins with the man already. And call me crazy but I thought Lucy had way more chemistry with Lincoln’s son, than she does with her new model-esc mystery fiancé.
    Also, the show is burning through quite a lot of pretty significant historical events already, hope it doesn’t burn out.
    Designated Survivor, I feel is not as tension filled as it should/could be if that were to really happen.
    Bull, not too worried about the secondary character back stories yet, it’s still early in the show. But does Michael Weatherly’s character always have to look so scruffy? I personally feel he’s past the age of pulling off bad boy-ish characters by now.
    Didn’t even bother with Notorious, I just didn’t get any chemistry from the the two actors, not even in the commercials.

25. Mary T says:

I had to give up on Conviction because background music drowned out the dialogue (Quantico is an even worse offender). Bull needs to lighten up with more humor and personal stuff as well as fleshing out the supporting characters. I think Conviction is a lost cause for me as the President IMO is a jerk and only the female FBI agent is the only interesting character and the only one I care about.

• Collette says:

You realize that Bull is based on Dr. Phil, right? The man has the personality of a dying house plant.

• Pete says:

Whilst I am not going to disagree with you on Dr Phil, Bull isn’t based on him, it’s based on the job he did before he got into show business.
        The lead character has an interesting personality so obviously isn’t based on the man himself.

26. Jake says:

Really on the fence about Timeless, I agree 100% with what you said about dragging out what the bad guy was up to, and making him escape getting shot.
    Two obvious problems – why does any time pass in the current time period when they’re on a mission in the past. Shouldn’t they just disappear, then reappear instantly? No time should pass in the currently timeline, they should be independent.
    Second, yea, that specific crew of people can’t transport back into the same time period twice because they might encounter their own selves (according to the show’s premise), but why couldn’t another crew go back? The other crew could warn them of their screw ups, then transport back, no fuss, no muss. The show could then be like Ground Hog Day, constantly revisiting the same event until they get it right….

• Ninamags says:

Don’t they already come back maybe a few minutes later?

There are only 2 time machines. So the “bad guys” have one and the team has the other, back-up one.

27. Jeanna says:

So far I’m sticking with Timeless and Designated Survivor. I’m willing to wait for Timeless to unfold because I love the premise. Designated Survivor can be a bit boring – I wish they would focus more on the FBI lady. People are a little worn out by political drama but always enjoy a good crime drama.

28. sunshine says:

No Tomorrow is the only one with superior acting and directing. Most of the new shows are terribly overwrought bordering on corny (McGyver, Riggs, Bull all need to even out quite a bit). Good acting will carry a mediocre show but shallow characters will sink it every time and there are a lot of people who need an acting coach on these shows right now.

• Sarah says:

Agreed that No Tomorrow has a great cast and directing and is my fav show for putting me in my happy place. I love the wacky and hope they don’t tone that down, but agree that Timothy has to move on, he and Evie have zero chemistry, but I like his character and the potential for secondary storylines with Hank. But I’m worried it will be a one-season wonder like Limitless and Forever, my previous season favs.

29. Julia Engel says:

DESIGNATED SURVIVOR IS TERRIFIC AND SO IS KEIFER SUTHERLAND!!

30. Katherine215 says:

Bull – I think it’s pretty apparent what Benny does (acts as the attorneys in the mock trial and as necessary in regular trials). I would like to see a little more fleshing out of Bull himself, the blonde lady, and the clothes guy, seeing as I don’t even know the names of the latter two!
    Conviction – I actually enjoy the cases. It’s Hayes I have a huge problem with. She’s a caricature of the cliche bad girl, and it’s over the top and hard to believe with Hayley Atwell in the role, much as I love her. They need to tone her down ASAP. The DA’s characterization of her in the last episode was spot on. I don’t know if I like the supporting cast enough to care about their backstories yet, either. I really want to like more of this show than I do.
    Designated Survivor – I was hoping for President Bartlett and we’re getting President Wimp. Toughen him up or shift the focus off the president. I”m interested in Maggie Q’s storyline but there’s not enough time spent on it. I find FLOTUS annoying, along with the show’s insistence in focusing so much on Tom’s family. Also, HOW IS THERE NO VP YET?!?! This should have been at least a TOPIC of conversation, if not an episode itself.
    Frequency – curious how they sustain this show over multiple seasons
    Lethal Weapon – I love everything about this show. I don’t care if the stunts are overdone. I’m less interested in the shrink than others seem to be.
    Pitch – my favorite new show. I wouldn’t mind more Blip and Evelyn, but I really enjoyed the scenes about Oscar’s personal life. I like his character and felt his daughter humanized him. I just want more of this show, period.
    This is Us – I totally get that Kate’s weight influences every aspect of her life…but watching her deal with that all that time doesn’t make for interesting TV. I’d like to see her get a job and something of her own to focus on that is not one of the males in her life. Randall is the most interesting story of the show, and I’m curious to see how Kevin interacts with his brother’s bio dad.
    Timeless – This show needs direction and it needs to tell us what the direction is. I like the characters, I like the premise, I like the different eras, but give me a purpose, other than “Stop the bad man who says he’s not bad.”

tl;dr – I watch too much tv!

• Sarah says:

Agree with most of your comments!

Regarding Conviction, I enjoy the strong ensemble, actors and storylines, but Hayley is still struggling with the accent and the character of Hayes and it’s the weakest part of the show.

In This is Us, it looks like Kate got the interesting job this week so hopefully her character will be more realistic going forward, it sometimes gets very stereotypical and one-note for some of the characters.

Timeless would be much better if they acted liked they were even trying to fit into each new timeline and didn’t always have Where Calls the Heart anachronistic hairstyles and mannerisms. It comes off as a kids show because of the lack of attention to detail and story.

Can’t believe we have so many good new shows this season, here’s to most of them making it to a second.

31. carmen roiz says:

I don’t like Designated Survivor… trying to push a point of view. Had enough politics in real life want to enjoy a show without one sided political propaganda

32. RachelC says:

Timeless and The Good Place are wonderful!!! They’ve overtaken some of my previous favorite shows, and are must-see for me every week.

33. Tatia Boman says:

I guess I’m in the minority for loving Notorious. It’s the first show I watch from the 20+ shows I DVR every week. Great to have Piper back on TV (miss Covert Affairs).

34. Emor says:

Scrolling down the comments I see only 1(!) comment on No Tomorrow. That should tell you all you need to know about the show. As for my two cents, If the show was a half hour comedy on a streaming service, it could be funnier and more concise. As it is, it’s a overly long not funny enough one hour of tv.

• Sarah says:

I think that’s only because no one has been watching it, wish it was paired with The Flash or Supergirl so people would give it a chance.

I love it as is, and I’m glad it’s not just a sitcom. It’s getting better each week. The casting is spot on, and it’s more thoughtful than it looks. Although I am impressed by how The Good Place manages to squeeze in so much philosophy and thought into 22 minutes each week!

35. Shib Neddeff says:

Designated Survivor is trying to be Last Ship and it’s not …cancel

36. KayCeeCee says:

Lethal Weapon and This is US are my two favourite new shows.
    Lethal Weapon – I totally agree with your review. The relationships are at the heart of the show: the bromance (Roger/Martin), the romance (Roger/Trish), and the friendship (Trish/Martin) are great. Even the supporting characters have some character development.
    This is Us – I also agree with your review. The actors are doing an amazing job.

37. There are so many shows that have what should be back ground music so loud that it drowns out the actors dialog.

38. mazel tov says:

Simply put I have found none of the new shows watchable enough to add to my regular viewing habits.

39. Ally Oop says:

My thoughts on this fall’s Freshman crop:
    ON PERMANENT WATCH LIST
    Speechless
    Macgyver
    Lethal Weapon
    Bull
    Kevin Can Wait

40. lisasride says:

Pitch is the best new show. I wish they would put it on a different night so it would do better in the ratings. Designated Survivor is good, but predictible. I like the way Timeless goes back to an event each episode. They do need to clue us into what is going on -kind of soon! But they do a great job of picking interesting historical points and supporting actors.