Austin Allsup The Voice

The Voice Recap: Women on the Verge of a Corporate Breakthrough?

Miley Cyrus and Alicia Keys, you’d better not be toying with my emotions!

I can’t be the only one who let out a long and enthusiastic “squeeeeee!” as the newcomers to The Voice‘s coaching panel casually proposed a joint record label and national tour to promote their very promising Season 11 artists.

OK, maybe their conversation was merely a way to kill time in between Carson Daly’s vein-popping pronouncements. But I can’t help but optimistically wonder: Could we finally have the anecdote to the almost poisonous disdain exec producer Mark Burnett and the suits at NBC have shown for promoting the fortunes of the vocalists on whose backs the three-time Emmy winning enterprise has been built?

(Hey, this seems like the perfect opportunity to link to Season 1 finalist Dia Frampton’s gorgeously haunting “Golden Years.”)

Of course, it’s easy to understand where Alicia and Miley got the inspiration for their potential business venture. Blame it on fresh energy or beginner’s luck or a real depth of musical knowledge, but these women not only have several Season 11 front-runners on their squads heading into the Knockout Rounds, but the depth of their benches exceeds those cobbled together by vets Adam Levine and Blake Shelton.

Not that we can ever discount the power of the Blake Multiplier (TM pending), but in any event, let’s break down tonight’s trio of Battle Rounds from least- to most-promising winner — bearing in mind I’ll be updating this URL with more detailed performance reviews (one at a time) overnight.

3. Team Adam: Brendan Fletcher defeats Bindi Liebowitz on Marc Broussard’s “Home” (Bindi stolen by Blake) | I expected the final steal of the Season 11 Battles to live up to Carson’s screaming hyperbole, but the resulting duet had all the energy of Ted Cruz making a get-out-the-vote call on behalf of Donald Trump. To be fair, Brendan’s tone really did possess the tree-trunk sturdiness pointed out by Adam and Sammy Hagar, but he wobbled noticably on the opening verse, and dissolved into shouting by the final refrain. Still, I liked what he did better than Bindi, who despite the sweet sandpapery quality of her instrument, seems to lack the control and training of a true contender.

2. Team Alicia: Whitney & Shannon defeat Gabriel Violett on “More Than Words” | I can’t really come down too hard on sister act Whitney & Shannon or Broadway vet Gabriel, seeing how they all colored very neatly within the lines of the syrupy 1990 hair-metal ballad they were given. Yet while I found Gabriel’s unnecessary embellishments more forgivable than the duo’s charisma deficit, I’m not sure either act was really built to survive past the first round of viewer votes.

1. Team Blake: Austin Allsup defeats Preston James on “Bad Moon Rising” | I’ll give Preston this much: He managed to stay mostly in tune while pushing his 15-year-old voice into overdrive to mimic the gruffness of John Fogerty’s original template. Austin, however, never let us see him sweat as he tweaked the melody, played to the audience and added some swampy stank to the composition. Dude may be flying under the producers’ radar thus far, but if Blake takes him to the Live Playoffs, the young Billy Bob Thornton doppelganger might be looking at a trajectory similar to Season 7 champ Craig Wayne Boyd.

What did you think of Night 4 of The Voice Season 11 Battles? Who did you like best? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. analythinker says:

Looks like Bindi is gonna be fine on Team Blake from the knockout promo. Adam (and Blake too) continues to be predictable in picking his team but I agree with most of them. Oh and… I’m so excited for Faith Hill! Gonna be interesting.

2. Justin says:

Slezak it was reversed for me.

3. Whitney and Shannon
    2. Austin
    1. Brendan

3. Melaniem says:

I thought Brendan was awesome tonight and could be a real Season 11 contender. I loved Austin’s blind audition but was disappointed in the battle. I blame a terrible, slowed-down arrangement of the CCR song.

4. Andres says:

I am really sad to see Gabriel leave. He was far more deserving of that steal than bindi but I like the tone of bindi’s voice. Here is how I would rank the teams
    Team Miley: Ali, Aaron, Darby, josh Lauren, Sophia, Josete, Maye
    Team Alicia: Micheal, Wé, SaRayah, Christian, Kylie, Whitney and Shannon, Courtnee, Belle
    Team Adam: Dave, Jason, Billy, Nolan, Brenden, Simone, Pociano, Riley
    Team Blake: Courtney, Karliee, Austin, Dana, Josh, Bindi, Sundance, Gabe

• Lee says:

It’s funny how after the blinds, a lot of people thought Adam had the weakest team. I actually think he has the strongest team after the battles. I can see Dave, Billy and Nolan all going to the end. I think Alicia will regret losing Dave and Jason. I think Blake has the weakest team right now.

5. davmon says:

Alicia’s team was ridiculously strong coming out of the Blinds with 3 who turned 4 chairs; and 3 who turned 3. In Battles, a coach automatically keeps 6 of 12 [Hers: We’, Michael, Whitney & Shannon, Kylie, Christian C., and Belle] and steals two [Hers: Sa’Rayah and Courtnie.]. Of the six on Team Alicia who lost their Battles, an unbelievable FOUR WERE STOLEN [Jason, Lauren, Dave, & Josh H.]!!!…So, after The Battles reduced 48 to 32, twelve of those remaining 32 are/have been Team Alicia! That is 37.5%!!!…I’d say Alicia is off to an amazing start!

6. Allie says:

Well, that was disappointing. Home is one of my favorite songs and even though Alicia Keys was desperately trying to get them to get their funk on thru her facial expressions, it was soooo blah. Great song, good contestants but it just didn’t work. I’m sure it didn’t help that I listened to the original a few times earlier. No comparison.

7. davmon says:

In Knockouts, each team will advance 4 of 8, then steal 2. Alicia is by far strongest to go four deep with We’, Michael, Sa’Rayah, and sisters Whitney & Shannon; in fact, Kylie and Christian would be strong candidates for a steal—should they fail to break into the 4 who advance. Courtnie and Belle are long shots.

8. davmon says:

For Knockouts, Miley is 2nd strongest team. But Ali is the only one to equal Alicia’s top 4. Darby & Josh H could be Top 10 material, but are quirky and could falter. Aaron & Lauren need to show consistent quality to get into the 4 advancing or to edge out Darby or Josh. Sophia, Josette, & Maye are more doubtful to be consistent.

9. davmon says:

Adam has Dave and Billy who turned 4. But Dave was outshown by Michael, so was a steal (from Alicia); Billy was selected over Andrew, altho many thought it undeserved. So, Adam’s premiere artists may prove duds; but the others seem even less promising—too bland. He needs to steal a couple of talents from Alicia and Miley to bolster his team for the Lives.

10. Kelly says:

When the other coaches were commenting that they wished Bindi had done more or hit higher notes, I liked that Adam complimented Bindi’s unique voice and range instead of pointing out that he tried to get her to go higher in the rehersals, but it just wasn’t in her range. I thought that was pretty classy.

11. davmon says:

Blake has no sure bet. Courtney was great in Blinds but less sure in Battles. She and the other girls are all better than the guys. However, Blake will likely have the girls face-off in Knockouts, because his following will want some guys. His best guy, Blaine, is gone; Josh G who beat him may be the guy to bet on. The other guys are too limited. Like Adam, Blake needs to steal some talent from Alicia and Miley to have a solid 3 or 4 for Lives.

12. OhMy says:

That Extreme song may have been one of the worst things I’ve ever heard on The Viuce.