Scream Recap

Scream Halloween Special: Who Died? Who Returned? And What's Next?

Math has never been my Will Forte, but I’m pretty sure Tuesday’s Scream Halloween special had a higher body count than all of Season 2 — and the first one was a real doozy.

The two-hour event wasted no time appeasing its viewers’ thirst for blood, claiming a trio of casualties in its first 10 minutes, including everyone’s favorite sexy serial killer Kieran. (So much for those 10 consecutive life terms, eh?)

Scream RecapFrom there, the story shifted to the remaining members of the Lakewood Six, each of whom began the special at a crossroad of sorts: Emma was unsure about her collegiate future, though I’m a little surprised to hear she was interested in pre-med at all, given how much blood she’s accidentally swallowed over the years; Audrey was taking a stab (so to speak) at a “normal” relationship with a girl named Gina, who’s really into glass unicorns; and Brooke was contemplating a future in New York — with or without Stavo.

And what better way for a gang of mass-murder survivors to clear their heads than with a weekend getaway to the site of a Lizzie Borden-esque tragedy, courtesy of Noah’s curiously attractive book editor Jeremy? (Oh, Noah’s a best-selling author now, by the way. A lot can happen in eight months!)

Anyway, Shallow Grove Island was exactly what you’d expect it to be: stormy, grove-like and teeming with local hotties — the most notable of which being Alex, the poor man’s Kieran (let’s be real now), who wasted no time crawling down Emma’s throat. And killing everyone in his wake.

Scream RecapThat’s right, folks: Alex (aka the one person who wasn’t accused of being the killer) turned out to be the killer, and no antique-store owner, mansion caretaker, island sheriff or book editor (RIP, #HotJeremy!) was safe from his *ahem* sheer madness.

Fortunately, Emma’s learned a thing or two about serial killers over the past two seasons — though she still struggles with the whole “don’t date them” thing — so following an impassioned speech (“I don’t need a hero! I’m Emma Duval!”), she knocked Alex Tom off the balcony and made it to safety.

Of course, that nice safe feeling probably won’t last for long, given the new arrival in town: Brandon James!

Leftover thoughts…

* I loved Gina’s casual plug for Ouija: Origin of Evil. Totally seamless, natural and organic.

* Lakewood University? Seriously, Emma?! Get. Out. Of. That. TOWN!

* Am I the only one who thinks the big Brandon James reveal would have been more powerful if it hadn’t been in the trailer?

* As for the future of the Scream franchise, all we know is that a six-episode third season is in the works. Whether or not that proves to be the end of the road for the show depends on the ratings is anyone’s guess.

OK, let’s hear your thoughts on the Scream Halloween special. Grade it below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. michelle says:

So happy the show got renewed. The special was such campy fun. I love it.

2. Morgan says:

Well as per usual Emma dated the killer. And I’m sure she’s applying her lipstick for the next killer.

3. Jeff C says:

This just further proved what I already knew: this franchise/brand works better in a film format than a tv show.
    It exceeded the entirety of season 2 on so many levels! But I’m still holding out hope for another movie once this show is over and done.

4. Joe Hankins says:

I don’t think the person at the very end was Brandon James. I think it was actually Brandon’s brother Troy. The desk clerk identified him as Mr. James, but doesn’t say his first name. Also if it was Brandon James he wouldn’t be signing in with his own well known name.

5. Stig says:

This special proved one thing. Slashers work best as movies. Season 3 consisting of 6 episodes? Bring it on. More killer, less filler. Let’s hope everyone is fair game this time around, kill of some major characters and end on a high note, before it outstays it’s welcome. like the movie series….

6. Jon says:

Ok, so hold up. The Special was good but a letdown. The whole Freddy vs Jason hype I was really hoping for an “Alex vs Ghostface” showdown. I loved Emma’s speech about not needing a hero, but how awesome would it have been if Ghostface came to Emma’s rescue, killed Alex (or whatever his name is) and then turned on Emma. Emma delivered the Hero speech to Ghostface, threw him off the balcony, when they go down there, he’s not there.
    And also, how awesome would it be if when the show ends, Emma “dies” but not really. She makes everything think she dies so that the killer stops coming after her but in fact she’s only changed her name and left the country, but her name now is, get this, Sidney Prescott.

7. Isabella says:

I loved this mini movie, it had all the action and suspense of the previous two seasons and focused alot less on the teenage drama. It was great seeing them all in their new relationships and lives, and the fact that they are so desensitized to the blood, gore and random human limbs lying around. Emmas speech before she pushed Alex/Tom off the balcony was so powerful, and she didn’t even have audrey around to help save her as usual was a good change. Looking forward to season 3

8. Maya says:

I really enjoyed this episode. It wasn’t better than season two in my opinion because it was a little rushed and I would have loved to see more about the characters lifes. Yes, I know that slasher is fast and just has alot of blood but I had higher hopes for the special, mainly because it was supposed to be a 2 hour (!) special. At the end it was only 1h and 20 minutes without commercials. Disappointing. The killer was even more obvious than Kieran (he even had his looks) and of course Emma had a thing with him. Well, she’s her mothers daughter ;) But I need to say that I was very well entertained, Audrey was as hot as can be and I can not wait for season 3!

9. Amy J says:

I would have enjoyed it better if I hadn’t seen any trailers – I was expecting some Freddy vs Jason type dual villain scenario. But it was still more Scream and that made it awesome regardless.

10. Anonymous says:

IT isn’t confirmed for Brandon James to be back. After all, the town knows the name Brandon James at this point. With that, wouldnt the motel manager or whoever she was have reacted differently to seeing someone that she suppose to be dead?

11. Sam says:

Question: wasn’t Brandon James supposed to be horribly disfigured – hence why he had to wear the post-op mask? Maybe I am being too cynical, but if that was him checking in to the motel wouldn’t the desk clerk have reacted somewhat to seeing his face? I think I need to go back and rewatch the season 1 episode where Emma’s mom provides some of the Brandon James back story, but I’ve always been under the impression that if he were still alive he would be quite the sight for sore eyes.

12. lynn says:

love it so much cant wait for the next season

13. Luke says:

I wish this series could go on forever tbh. I could never get tired of watching it. & Emma is just 😍😍😍😫