DWTS Season 23

Dancing With the Stars Week 6 Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Warning: Repeated viewings of Monday’s Dancing With the Stars may require cold showers immediately after the episode’s end.

Even though the ABC series typically trots out Latin Night as early as Week 2, that theme was wisely held until Season 23’s sixth week of competition, ensuring that the performances were more complex, fast-paced and — oh, yeah — extremely, extremely hot.

Of course, not every Latin-inspired routine was a knockout on Monday night. But with a few extra weeks of practice under their belts, this season’s Mirrorball hopefuls were certainly more self-assured than previous casts as they cha-cha-ed, salsa-ed and rumba-ed their way to a potential victory.

Let’s revisit the evening’s best and worst performances:

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Jana Kramer and pro Gleb Savchenko (Argentine Tango) — My initial Twitter critique of Jana and Gleb’s performance was simply the iPhone’s fire emoji over and over again — and I stand by that review. Despite learning that she was in jeopardy just moments before dancing, Jana stepped up to every single challenge that the Argentine tango presented, including — nay, especially — the routine’s scorching heat. In addition to her sharp lines and crisp footwork, Jana had sexiness in spades, and her chemistry with Gleb — particularly during the performance-ending shower sequence — was so palpable, it almost felt more appropriate to look away while they were gyrating on the dance floor. Judges’ Score: 40/40

BEST OF THE NIGHT (RUNNER-UP)
James Hinchcliffe and pro Sharna Burgess (Rumba) — I’ll admit: Given James’ frustratingly vacant facial expressions in weeks past, I was a bit skeptical of his ability to dial up the heat in a steamy rumba. Fortunately, the racecar driver heeded his partner’s advice and, rather than let alter ego Ricardo do all the work, rose to the occasion to deliver a hot — and technically precise! — number. Judges’ Score: 38/40

MOST AWE-INSPIRING LIFTS
Calvin Johnson and pro Lindsay Arnold (Argentine Tango) — During the last six weeks of competition, I’ve interpreted Calvin and Lindsay’s chemistry more as “Best friends forever!” than anything else, which was a concern as they headed into the sensual Argentine tango. That said, even though their performance wasn’t as off-the-charts sexy as Jana and Gleb’s, they did forge their most intense connection yet. Plus, Calvin’s ability to effortlessly toss Lindsay over his shoulder in the evening’s most acrobatic lifts — that cartwheel/windmill combo! — made the pair extremely deserving of a high score. Judges’ Score: 37/40

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Terra Jolé and pro Sasha Farber (Paso Doble) — From a technical standpoint, Terra and Sasha were still head and shoulders above less polished contestants like Amber, Ryan and Maureen. But at this point in the competition, great things are expected of the Little Women: L.A. star, and her failure to embody the paso doble’s angry intensity was disappointing. Judges’ Score: 30/40

And, of course, the results:

THREE COUPLES IN JEOPARDY
Amber Rose and pro Maks Chmerkovskiy
Calvin Johnson and pro Lindsay Arnold
Jana Kramer and pro Gleb Savchenko

ELIMINATED
Amber Rose and pro Maks Chmerkovskiy

Your turn! Did Amber and Maks deserve the boot? And which of Monday’s performances will inspire you to vote? Tell us in the comments!

1. Diane says:

Yes the right couple went home. Now Maureen needs to go,then Ryan.

• Courtney says:

I said the same thing!! Why is Ryan not in jeopardy like ever?? Jana is my favorite and she has been in the bottom 2 times now. Hopefully. Ext week she will be safe.

2. Carol says:

No amber was great very classy lady. They wanted a stripper mentality to satisfy there lust.

3. Elizabeth says:

I’ll miss Maks, but Amber had to go. Hopefully Maureen will be next followed by Ryan. Neither Jana nor Calvin deserved to be in jeopardy. They are 2 of my top 4, alongside Lauri and James.

• Leesa says:

I am so glad Amber left. She was not a good dancer. Ryan is not a good dancer but he is getting fan votes.. Wow! Jana and Gleb were just awesome.. What a hot dance ,,, the best of the night.. I love when Pitbull is a guest judge.. I just love Latin night..

4. Big Cheddar says:

Amber had so much potential, but I’m assuming her insecurity about her dancing held her back. It felt like she was low energy and holding back almost every week. Her best dance was the tango, but instead of improving she just stayed at the same level.

5. Tess Navarro says:

Definitely! You just get the impression that she was holding back and not totally committed. She was too conscious of her appearance.

6. Janice smith says:

Yes the right couple went home. I was getting tired of her whining. She deserved to be eliminated. I’m glad she’s gone.

7. Anita says:

Laurie without doubt had the best footwork. James is certainly not the best male ever, that’s like saying Maureen is Derek best partner (BYE JULIANNE). Jana performance I liked the most but we all know Len would of gave a 9. Juilanne James is not even in the top 5 best men, so take several seats considering his performance skills in the first 6 weeks hes just as good as James Maslow from season 18 and hes not one of the best but he was good

8. Louis says:

Surprised Ryan and Maureen were not in the bottom three !! Great Calvin and Lindsey my favorite of the night. Laurie is amazing love her. Jana did great but Mark and Paige was better. James did good but he not the best Julianne, hes not better than Corbin, Gilles, Alfonso, Charlie or Riker. Maureen performance was alright, she lucky she has Derek fanbase. Overall slow start but by the middle towards end was good. I’m happy Len is returning next week.

9. Matt says:

Ryan has to go! Really, stand there while Cheryl dances around you. Even though I hate to see Cheryl go, I love to watch her walk away 😜

10. Cody says:

Maybe….Amber rose is a gorgeous woman.

11. My dog dances better than Amber Rose

12. Julie Bowman says:

NO! Not yet. I don’t think she will win, but diffidently not ready to go home this early. Sometimes this becomes who has the most fans, not about the dance!!!

13. Stace says:

Marcia,marcia,marcia should have been home weeks ago. The judges keep giving her higher scores than the football guy and hes sooo much better. I feel that Amber didn’t get chance ti show what she can do, missed opportunity. Judge Julianne is misleading and often wrong, thinks shes the female Linn.

• Phillis says:

Amber was just not improving, She had so many weeks to show her dancing skills.. Her whining did not win her more votes.. Terra dances far better than Amber..

14. Peg says:

I understand why she went home, but I don’t understand why Maureen is still there! And not in jeopardy.!?!?

• ncmacasl says:

Maureen has a HUGE fanbase from all the former latchkey kids who grew up watching her. We are now DWTS’s key demographic!

15. Watcher says:

It was time for Amber Rose to leave because she had apparently reached the end of her ability. Calvin Johnson has really improved. I am really pulling for Jana Kramer or Laura Hernandez to win with a partiality towards Jana.

16. joanzie says:

amber had to go she was way to out there good dancer but to much flaunting,,Max as always is hot.

• LaDonna says:

It’s so interesting how we all see something different. You saw too much flaunting, I didn’t see enough. The one week that I really enjoyed her was after Julianne had said something about her dancing that Amber interpreted to be about her, personally. Amber got mad and just left it ALL out on the dance floor. That was the one week that I felt like she was fully committed and fully engaged. Otherwise, the costume department puts her in these skimpy outfits and she dances halfheartedly or like she’s really self conscious. I was bored by her and don’t have any problem with her having gone home.

17. Iris Swanson says:

i liked amber and maks,tired of all the crying and whining from maureen every week.i think the little olympic girl is the best dancer.i vote every week for lochte.

18. Judy Chandler says:

YES! She was the one to go. Don’t like her anyway and there was something about her that hit a wrong nerve every week.

19. DEBBIE says:

Yes right one went home.

20. I don’t know about you idiots but that is not dancing at all; it’s call Aerobics. Where is ball room dancing in DWT?

21. R Pagan says:

Yes it was her time. You could tell she was not comfortable. Maureen needs to go next. She cries too much.

22. Keeley says:

Good job

23. Janet Soto says:

I think Amber had at least another week to go! Sorry but time for Maureen and Ryan to go. Gleb and Jana are my favorite this year. I think he is the hottest man on earth, lol!

24. SaraBea says:

There were too many ‘extras’ accesories and very basic steps in Jana/Gleb Tango.The chemistry was good but over-played. Calvin/Linds Tango was very sophisticated , technically impressive but unfortunately I didn’t see any chemistry , just a nice execution. Ryan is a big puppy with zero musicality . Cheryl is one of the best pros but she cannot make miracles. You can almost hear him counting 1-2-3. I can’t believe he was safe while Calvin was in jeopardy. Really ?
    James pre-package deserved a perfect score alone. Lol. I guess Julianne should have said ‘James is the best male contestant with no-dance , acting or performing experience ever been on the show.’ I’d agree.

25. Toni Marino says:

Yes! Amber Rose is an adequate dancer, but not as good as the others. The rest seem to be getting better each week, but not her. BTW when I voted last night I didn’t hear my couple mentioned. So I don’t know WHO got my vote. I just heard “Thank you for voting. You have nine votes this week.” Every other week I heard, “Thank you for voting for X and Y. You have Z votes this week.” What’s going on??
    Is it changing?

26. Toni Marino says:

Yes, she’s only an adequate dancer. The others improve each week. Not her.

27. Kate says:

I was never really familiar with Amber Rose prior to seeing her on DWTS, and I really wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I think I was done with her when she accused Julianne of body shaming her a couple weeks ago. Julianne’s “uncomfortable” comment really had nothing to do with Amber’s body, but with the way Maks choreographed their non-Samba.