Bull, MacGyver, Kevin Can Wait Snag Full-Season Pickups at CBS

CBS is going to the distance with three of its rookie series, ordering full seasons of Bull, Kevin Can Wait and MacGyver. The “back nine” pickups mean all three series’ will produce 22 episodes in their inaugural runs.

Bull — starring Michael Weatherly as a pre-Oprah’d Dr. Phil — has thus far proven to be a worthy Tuesday companion to Weatherly’s alma mater NCIS. In its first three outings, the show — which is fall’s most-watched new series — is averaging 14.6 million live viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, improving  2on NCIS: New Orleans’ Season 2 average in the time slot (13 mil/1.8).

The Kevin James-fronted Kevin Can Wait, with 10.4 mil and a 2.5, is fall’s No. 1 comedy in both measures, while MacGyver (9.3 mil/1.4) has improved on The Amazing Race’s Fall 2015 average (5.9 mil/1.1) in the Friday lead-off spot.

“We’re thrilled viewers have embraced these three shows creatively,” said CBS’ entertainment president Glenn Geller in a statement. “Each one has made an immediate and positive impact on our schedule, while significantly contributing to growing their respective nights.”

1. Lisa Echerd says:

What a waste of airtime. Kevin Can Wait is yet another show with an average looking overweight, idiotic guy with a smart, attractive wife in a house his character couldn’t possibly afford. I never thought Kevin James was that funny first time around and he certainly isn’t now.
    Bull is completely forgettable. I watched two episodes and don’t remember a thing about the 2nd one.
    We lasted less than 5 minutes of MacGyver. Another remake of a show that wasn’t that great the first time around.
    We are watching new shows on NBC and ABC this season.

2. Kevin K says:

Really hope the MacGyver reboot is going to get one season tops. Shame on CBS :-(

3. Rimmer says:

#save Amy Acker from MacGyver 2k17

• xionxiv says:

I thought she was only on 1 episode. Is she a recurring character?

• Rimmer says:

She’s coming back *soon* according to David Slack and Peter Lenkov. They better give her her own show after all this disgrace.

• wrstlgirl says:

Never even heard of the actress before I saw the name on this site.

• Steven says:

She’s from Angel and Person of Interest. She really is a great actress and deserves better than MacGyver.

• Rimmer says:

@wrstlgirl we all learn something new every day. It’s never too late to get acquainted with the greatness that Acker is.

• William Wajert says:

Ms. Acker was tremendous on Person of Interest. Will miss that show.

• ronlake28 says:

The show was well written, well acted, and the stars were all a credit to the series. I will miss them all and it is even more of a loss when you see some of the new shows that have premiered; so many are an insult to what a quality show like Person of Interest brought with every episode.

• Sonja says:

If Acker is really coming back CBS better put her in the trailer for the episode. I’m not interested in watching the MacReboot but i’ll dvr it for her.

• ronlake28 says:

I’d be totally shocked if CBS doesn’t have plans for Amy, she is a total asset as she is one talented actress. If CBS doesn’t sign her up I am sure another network will.

• H says:

I think she likes earning a few bucks after her other show was cancelled. Untill she finds a new one this is paying her bills.

4. ewe says:

kevin can wait – it can also lose the ‘laugh track’ – takes away from the possible real humour..love bull..macgyver is so lame with no surprises

5. Ruth says:

Yea MacGyver. I’m old enough to remember the orignal and I like this one just as much. Maybe George Eads has something to do with it. Lol!

6. chuckiechk says:

I like Bull … I wasn’t impressed with the pilot but the follow-up episodes have been really good. I didn’t like premiere episode of MacGyver, and stopped watching. I haven’t watched Can Wait

7. Collette says:

Puzzling to say the least. Bull seems to me to be so formulaic that the only change week to week will be the supporting cast. Kevin Can Wait is so beige and tired, if it was clothing it’s what you’d wear to wash the car. MacGyver should be fun for anyone still in school even up to college. None can be described as riveting must see TV.

8. Larc says:

Looks as if I’ll have to continue deserting CBS between NCIS slots on Tuesday night. Thanks to NBC for moving This Is Us got to 9.

9. bluesman3535 says:

Shocked Bull is pulling in the ratings. I bailed after two episodes. Premise of show is ridiculous. Client acquisition for TAC is silly. Adversarial relationships with defense attorneys, bill Payne clients. Stupid mirrror jury. Terrible show.

• MMD says:

So am I. I really, truly tried to like it because of Michael Weatherly but I couldn’t get past the first 15 minutes of the last episode. I would love to know how the hell it is getting the viewers because I literally fell asleep.

• Jay says:

Totally agree.

10. datdudemurphy says:

I wasn’t all that thrilled with this crop from CBS….

I’ve enjoyed MacGyver from what I’ve seen, but it isn’t must see TV for me…
    Bull felt forgettable and I gave up on it after a few episodes. I had been a little curious about the ratings….just not curious enough to look them up on my own.
    Kevin Can Wait is pretty much the same….I’ve never understood the appeal of Kevin James. I suppose being friends with Adam Sandler has its perks.

11. CP. says:

Bull is alright, but while Kevin has its monents, he Can Wait. The two CBS comedies fronting and tailing it are good enough for them, and folks are already unhappy with laugh tracks now that Black-ish is seriously stepping up its game and Superstore is a future classic.

12. Couch Mom says:

Sorry – don’t really like any of these new shows. I really tried to like MacGyver, but it’s just too loud, noisy, and not really fun like RDA’s MacGyver. Don’t really care for Dr. Phil, so passed on Bull. Not really into middle-age, mid-life crisis husbands and fathers. Would have stuck with CBS if they had kept Limitless. Only other show I watch on this channel is 60 Minutes-still going strong after 48 years.

• John NYC says:

? Bull is a trial show about criminal trials. Loosely based on, from what I’ve read, the guy’s pre-tv gig of being a trial consultant.

No fathers.

So sons.

It’s a legal procedural. Case of the week writ large.

13. Margie says:

I tried MacGyver, but it is just awful. I keep thinking, they canceled Person of Interest to make room for this!

• KLS says:

Well, they didn’t cancell POI or Limitless for MacGyver, but I would take either one over Mac in a heartbeat. The show just doesn’t work for me and turns me off CBS for the entire night.

• ronlake28 says:

that is a little harsh; spare yourself that show but to allow you to quit on the rest of the night robs you of the two good shows that follow.

• H says:

Person of Interest was cancelled for Limitless, which was cancelled for Bull.

• omi says:

I don’t feel bad for person of interest.

The were going to kill Root off no matter what because nolan liked movies Her and that moment in Angel when Illyria took over Fred’s body.

They deserved this cancellation, you can’t just kill off an awesome female character for nothing. They could’ve made a show about her, explore her more. She deserved to live or at least survive until the very last episode. It was such a waste.

• ronlake28 says:

The show had one more episode and Root died a heroic death; she is ready to challenge a new role, lets see who is wise enough to snatch her up.

• omi says:

person of interest deserved this cancellation for killing Root off. no matter how heroic her death was she deserved better. she deserved to live.
            Amy can do miracles with any character even poorly written but Root was unique. Root deserved to live and have her own show.
            i don’t need westworld i don’t watch it but I’d watch Root-centric show. unfortunately thanks to nolan the visionary it’s never going to happen

• ronlake28 says:

Why do you limit Amy to this character of Root? She is quite capable to go on to another character and bring the same quality to it.

• omi says:

How is me thinking that Root deserved to live and wanting to know more about her limits Amy to just one character? She barely had any screentime on POI ever so having her own two-season series would be just perfect.
            It’s so much better than guest starring on macgyvers and playing in romantic hallmark b anyway.

• ronlake28 says:

#1, don’t knock Hallmark movies; they are a quality network that has provided jobs for many actors and actresses that would of been searching for roles and their movies are well written and acted. #2, Amy does not need for the character of Root to continue, the show was at its end and now she can move on and get another vehicle that will challenge her acting abilities. #3, she was on the last two years of the show and in most every episode.

14. HAP says:

Three totally mediocre shows.

15. Heather says:

Kevin can wait is horrible and I love him not funny at all non 9f friends funny wife no chemisty

16. retsim says:

Kevin can Wait is one of the worst pieces of garbage out there .What morons actually gave this a full season .Who did Kevin James bribe to get this piece of crap out there .He has not been funny for years .And Bull is exactly that Complete Bull. 3 Episodes was all i could take .It,s virtually the same thing every week .

17. u says:

can I ask why the difference between your averages and tvbythenumbers’ averages?

18. darkangel200 says:

Great news about Bull . Like it more and more with each episode. Bull and Pitch have been the only new shows to keep me engaged. For those who find Bull’s concept “ridiculous”, you do realize it’s based on real life agencies that have been doing this for years, right?

• The only one of the three that I have watched is Bull, and I tried it only because I hold Michael Weatherly in great regard for his acting ability. As “Bull,” he doesn’t disappoint. The show’s premise is fragile, however. Then again, most crime dramas are pretty much boilerplate if you stop to consider it. So, then, why do we watch? We watch because we really cannot predict outcomes the way we think we can. In real life, the same ol’ crimes keep getting committed, and the same ol’ justice process is repeated over and over and over, and we can’t predict those outcomes, either, with any accuracy. So, we watch these TV dramas thinking we know the outcomes, and sometimes we do, and sometimes we don’t, but if we can identify with the characters, the plots are secondary in importance. If the characters are realistic enough, we CAN get immersed in the plot, and it no longer matters that the same plots have been portrayed for at least a century of movies and TV. My opinion of “Bull?” The characters draw you in until it is irrelevant that the plots are boilerplate. You cannot help but watch to the bitter end, and, speaking only for myself, I find that I look forward eagerly to the next episodes. I think CBS made the right call by ordering the full run… “Bull” does have a tendency to suck in viewers and not let them go…

19. Leanne says:

Bull is good, I wasn’t sure at first but it gets better, Kevin Can wait should have been cancelled after the first episode. Haven’t watched MacGyver, not sure I will tho I like George Eads

20. Rita says:

I watched both Kevin can Wait and Bull. I thought they would be early cancellations. They are so bad, and I really like Kevin James. I’m sorry to see them picked up. CBS can do better; the American viewer can do better.

21. Cat says:

I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far of Bull, but don’t know how they can keep it interesting beyond a few episodes. MacGyver was a total disappointment…someone needs to tell George Eads to stop trying to act like he’s 20-something again…really sad to watch him make a fool of himself every week. Have never watched any of Kevin James’s shows

22. kmayne says:

It will be interesting to see how well Kevin Can Wait does when it does not have Big Bang Theory as a lead in

23. LINDA WOMACK says:

Did not like Bull/ changed channel!

24. Chandra Crook says:

Im really enjoying Bull, and Macgyver’s okay, but I thought Kevin would be long gone by now. I tried the Pilot and I wasnt at all impressed. Other than his son his whole family was poorly cast especially his younger daughter. Plus the jokes just seem to fall flat. Since it got a whole season and has Vincent from “Bones” in it I’ll give it one more shot, but I’m guessing that season pass won’t be getting added to my DVR.

25. ALK says:

Yay for Bull and MacGyver – they aren’t changing the face of television or anything, but they’re great for when I don’t want to be constantly emotionally wrought over a show.

26. Joy Madrid says:

Happy about “Bull” & “MacGyver” !!! don’t really like slap-stick comedy!

27. Slh says:

I like Bull a lot. Michael shows he has so much talent in this role. The other two shows, meh but keep Bull for sure.

28. José Madrid says:

MaxGyver’s full season pickup is bad news for The Amazing Race. I want TAR back soon

29. Boiler says:

Try Kevin after something else and watch it drop!!

30. Dominique says:

wow, i did not think macgyver would get a full season. i know a lot of people don’t like it, but i’m enjoying the show immensely, so this news makes me very happy!

31. Sean says:

Love Kevin can wait love all the bitter hipsters complaining

32. Marc says:

People need to stop hating on KCW, and Bull at least those two are trying

33. auntiemm says:

All 3 are bad but the network has too much invested. James isn’t funny, Bull is is boring and repetitive, and MacGyver is an insult to its source. I’m waiting for Cote de Pablo to make an appearance on Bull if the ratings slip against This Is Us.

• CG says:

Wow, Cote de Pablo on Bull? God, I sure hope not–that would be one stupid @ss move for the show to even think that. Different show, different actors. Not crazy about Kevin Can Wait, but MacGyver is “based” on the original, doesn’t mean it will be the same. I’m enjoying it on Friday nights. Glad they are continuing it for the whole season.

• ron says:

Repetitive? After only a couple of shows of shows, that is a quick decision on your part. The show has a large range of stories it can tell, and if you allow yourself to become invested you may see it in a different light.

34. Jane says:

I will watch almost any thing not to have to watch Kevin can wait. I don’t find it at all entertaining.

35. cosmoman11 says:

Don’t hate me for being sexist but i watch MacGyver for one reason. To see the gorgeous Tristin Mays.

36. Jeannette says:

Thank you CBS for the series Bull, getting a full season, I really enjoy watching this show, good cast , and Michael Weatherly as BULL , perfect!

37. Anne says:

Seriously?? I mean Bull is not bad but MacGuyver and Kevin are just terrible. A waste of screentime.

38. wrwsrtx says:

Not watching any of them. Have moved away from CBS somewhat and watching other media.

39. John Oates says:

You picked the three most BORING shows to extend a Full Season. Bull I won’t even waste my time because i am notr interested in anything to do with dr Phil. Kevin can wait is stale and boring could only watch 15 min before canceling my DVR for the series. and Macgyver I have no desire to see this remake.

40. ScottJ says:

I don’t have time to watch more than 6-8 episodes of any new show. So the only way I would keep watching MacGyver or Bull is if its been cancelled. Not an issue with Kevin Can Wait – I’d call that show garbage but that’s an insult to garbage.

41. Carolyn Burcham says:

Weatherly is so handsome. Drop the ruff beard look.

42. Lisa says:

Why?!?! Is quite accurate! They cancelled Limitless for this garbage. A remake of King of Queens, MacGyver and Lord only knows what the absolutely unrealistic and always absurd “Bull” is supposed to be. Love Weatherly, but the show is ridiculous!

• ronlake28 says:

The idea is plausible and is used widely today. It is an effective tool that can help the lawyers go after a certain witness or piece of evidence. It is very realistic and the show displays that very well.

43. Jerri says:

I wonder if Bull was on on any day & time other than after NCIS, if it would pull in the same ratings it does now.

44. Malissa R. says:

I’m still on the fence with Bull. Just barely keeps my interest through the episode. If they hadn’t stuck it between the NCIS and NCISNOLA episodes, I probably wouldn’t be watching. Kevin Can Wait, complete disappointment. Not funny, no chemistry with on-screen wife and she can’t act at all. I haven’t built up enough interest yet to watch the MacGyver episodes on the DVR yet to see if I like it.

45. Gabrielle says:

I watch Bull because of the very strong similarities to Lie to Me which I adored.

46. Bert says:

That’s interesting. I’ve watched all 3 and they all come up lacking- will not be watched again.

47. DebG says:

With MacGyver getting a full season, does this mean we are going to have to wait until Summer to see The Amazing Race again? I am not happy!

48. kevstar says:

Bull is popular because of Michael Weatherly. I don”t get the appeal of NCIS either, but to each his own.

49. Cat Nanny says:

Bull – Ugh. Great actor silly program. Michael Weatherly, please either grow it or shave it. Looks especially unattractive when it’s grey,

• ronlake28 says:

To each his own but the idea behind what they do is not silly, , it is a very serious attempt to show what goes on behind the trial and how inside information can be extremely helpful in selecting potential jurors. Also during the actual trial it can be an effective way to reach out to certain members of the jury by avoiding what can lose that person to the other side. It is an actual way to tip the scales of justice to your side.

• Tucci says:

What you are referring sounds awfully close to, if not outright, jury tampering. In any case, this show is so terrible I have not even heard anyone waste time to talk about how bad it is. No one I know speaks about it at all in any form. Also, you sound like a career juror. Attorneys specializing is jury selection are more boring than estate planners.

• ronlake28 says:

It has been getting very good ratings and it just got picked up for a second season; it seems your opinion is in the minority.

• Wow! A second season? I’m delighted with that! Seriously, your response to the comment from someone who panned “Bull” but admitted to never having seen it, was right on. I’ve watched all the episodes so far, and it just gets better. Meanwhile, I honestly cannot understand why anyone would knock a show without having given it a look-see, perhaps in order to be able to pinpoint specifics as to why the show fails. “Bull” not only doesn’t fail, but it has managed to improve in only 3 episodes, enough that it is on my permanent must-watch list. To others who instinctively dislike the show without having first watched it, I say this: try it. Remember that it is fiction, and that it is intended to entertain. Grab a bowl of popcorn, perhaps also a brewski, put up the feet, sit back and enjoy it! Repeat for two or three episodes. If, after doing this, you still don’t like it, then at least you can say you tried it. So, it gets another season? Hah! It must be really horrible to do that! :-) Thanks for addressing that commenter the way you did. You have class! :-)

• ronlake28 says:

I totally enjoy reading your comments; your intelligence is refreshing.

• I can say the same to you! Your comments often make my day! Thank you.