Billy Bush Fired

Billy Bush Officially Out at Today

It’s official: There will be no tomorrow at Today for Billy Bush.

NBC confirmed in a statement to employees on Monday that the network has formally parted ways with the embattled co-host for his role in the Donald Trump tape scandal. According to unconfirmed reports, Bush will receive an exit package worth $10 million.

“Billy Bush will be leaving the Today show’s 9 am hour, effective today,” the statement read. “While he was a new member of the Today team, he was a valued colleague and longtime member of the broader NBC family. We wish him success as he goes forward.”

Bush released a statement of his own that said: “I am deeply grateful for the conversations I’ve had with my daughters, and for all of the support from family, friends and colleagues. I look forward to what lies ahead.”

Last Sunday, NBC announced that Bush had been indefinitely suspended from his gig co-hosting Today‘s 9 am hour after he was heard engaging in a lewd conversation with Trump in an unearthed 2005 tape. “I know we’ve all been deeply troubled by the revelations of the past 48 hours,” Today‘s senior VP Noah Oppenheim wrote in an internal memo to the staff. “Let me be clear — there is simply no excuse for Billy’s language and behavior on that tape. NBC has decided to suspend Billy, pending further review of this matter.”

Immediately following the tape’s release earlier this month, Bush released a statement expressing remorse for his conduct. “Obviously I’m embarrassed and ashamed,” he said. “It’s no excuse, but this happened eleven years ago – I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry.”

Bush’s stormy departure marks the end of his long relationship with NBC, one that began in 2001 when he joined Access Hollywood as a correspondent. He was promoted to primary anchor three years later, and he remained in that post until this past August, when he joined Today.

Did Billy Bush deserve to be fired from the Today show? And where will he land next? Hit the comments and share your thoughts.

1. David G. Stern says:

I think the punishment is rather harsh. When I consider the kinds of entertainers NBC spends millions on it seems pretty hypocritical

2. Donna Strach says:

I really like Billy and he wasn’t doing a serious interview at the time. He said he was sorry and should be given another chance. I hope he finds some employer that will give him another chance.

• dude says:

Fox News is always hiring

• Fairmont1955 says:

“Not doing a serious interview” – seriously disturbing because that implies that should be a factor. He was part of a sexually suggestive conversation – while working – that involved his coworker as part of the topic and then coerced her to hug/touch the man who was making sexually charged comments about her.
      Not Ok.

• Sherry R says:

Agreed. Up to the point that he had Ari Zucker hug Trump, he could have claimed to have just been playing along. But no, he made himself actively involved at that point, knowing what Trump had stated he might do because he was a celebrity. Not locker room talk.

• Carrabus says:

Agree with you. That was super gross.

3. Yolo says:

They’ve been looking to get rid of him since the Olympics more than likely. See ya.

4. JB says:

I’m thrilled he was fired. Aside from his sexist behavior, narcissism and smug attitude, he was a terrible host and a dreadful interviewer. I only wish they wouldn’t have given him that undeserved overly generous exit package.

• N8frogg78 says:

Because NBCs I bottom line effects you how exactly?

• Coop says:

The financial settlement is entirely deserved. Sure, getting used as a scapegoat sucks, but it’s a lot easier to handle when you get 5-10 million through at you. Hope he goes and enjoys time with his family.

• Fairmont1955 says:

Not Ok.

• bobbi6484 says:

The severance is supposedly what he was going to be paid over the term of the three year contract he had with Today. They had no choice. He would have sued and probably won even more than that.

• Mary says:

NBC probably didn’t have a morality clause included so they were between a rock and a hard place. Due to the demographics, it would of hurt them worst in the long run.

5. Hs says:

The man who had a conversation with Mr. Trump is fired, but Mr. Trump doing most of the talking is being allowed to run for president of our country?

6. jjeterr says:

10 Million dollars as an exit package?! Holy crap. Kind of takes the sting out of “separating ways,” no? Ridiculous.

• Jason says:

Legally they had to fulfill the contract he probably signed right before his move to the Today Show. He couldn’t be financially penalized for something that happened ten years before. It would be like a company saying you don’t get a severance package because of something you did in high school.

• Fairmont1955 says:

The benefits of a contract vs the rest of us at will employees. Companies can pretty much find a way to do what they want, especially if there’s proof of an unsafe work environment for women (like that tape).

• Jason says:

Nobody has ever accused Billy Bush of causing an unsafe work environment and most of the people who work with him are fond of him. Look how upset Kit Hoover was when all this started. This really only about PR.

• jjeterr says:

Thanks for the legal lesson, Jason. As an attorney I had no idea of the contractual obligations NBC was likely under when they released Bush. The number is jarring. And ridiculous. Must be nice.

7. Ann Hughes says:

If Mr Trump can still run for president!!! And people think there is nothing wrong with what he has said and done!!! And if Matt Lauer is still co anchor after all the rumors and how he has treated women !!!! No he should not be fired.

• Pamela says:

Many famous and non famous people say things that others consider offensive everyday, they just aren’t taped.

• KCC says:

Anyone over 35 and a natural citizen of the USA can run for President, but the people get to decide who actually becomes president. Vote!! There is a difference between rumors and actual proof. If you have a video of one of the rumored abuses Lauer perpetrated on a women I’m certain NBC will fire him too.

8. Pat says:

I enjoyed watching BIlly Bush on the today show I admire him for stepping up and admitting his mistake unlike Trump who blames everyone and his wife who also blames Bush. Trump was suppose to be the more mature adult well we all know that’s not true . Once a PIG always PIG

9. Ethel says:

I am not a Billy Bush fan but feel this is excessive as is his separation package of $10 million.

10. andrew hass says:

I’m not surprised by this news but i think The Today Show and Billy Bush both needed a fresh start.Plus Billy Bush left with 10 million dollars because his contract with NBC/The Today Show probably had a buy out clause in it.So i’m sure he’s going to be okay and now he can take some time off and let this controversy blow over.Then once that happens another network might hire him.

11. Kris says:

Sorry, but he should not have been fired. I don’t think for what he did, the punishment does not fit the crime. $10 milion is a little excesive, but more power to him. He’ll land on his feet somewhere else.

12. Kevin K says:

Wonder what happens next for Billy Bush. Wouldn’t rule out if he’s not thinking about a return to Access Hollywood.

13. Shirley Owen says:

Billy bush does not deserve to be fired. So many others in the celebrity world have done far worse. He is a very good host. Hope he will appear on another show in near future. Good luck Billy bush.

• Fairmont1955 says:

If your standard is “far worse” than you are part of the problem.

Explicitly discussing your female coworker is sexual harassment and it’s not OK anywhere.

14. JEF says:

I don’t think NBC had a choice and a 10M severance package is not too shabby. Radio might be his next best bet if that’s not enough money to retire on.

15. SJ says:

Wow… only in America can you get fired for something like this. Mind you, had this tape surfaced 11 years ago, no one would have bat an eye. But in the western world as a whole, we have just become so touchy, so sensitive, so… politically correct in the past decade that it sickens me.

This man did NOT deserve to lose his livelihood over something that pretty much everyone has said about the opposite (or same) gender in a one-on-one conversation. If Joe Shmoe from Nowheretown, Ohio can say it and get away with it, why punish Bush? Just because he’s a celebrity? That’s a double standard.

Anyway, I hope he lands on his feet. Hopefully Fox News will scoop him up. The further away he is from the sinking ship that is the Today show, the better for him anyway.

• Angela says:

Wow, so letting someone go for making lewd and nasty comments about a woman is being “politically correct”, “touchy”, and “sensitive” now? Really?
      1) No, “pretty much everyone” does NOT talk like that. I am so incredibly tired of people saying that, because it’s just not true. Some guys actually understand the concept of being gentleman and treating women with respect.
      And the guys out there who DO talk like that? They’re a large part of why we have the problems we do in regards to women being treated with respect. Joe Shmoe shouldn’t get away with it any more than Billy Bush should. Why do people keep acting like it’s okay or normal to talk about women like this?
      Hopefully Fox News will scoop him up.
      Considering the recent revelations about the way women are treated at that network, yeah, he’d probably fit right in.

• Angela says:

*Should be a 2) before the “And the guys…” paragraph. Seriously need an edit button on here :p.

• Tai says:

Your husband frequently talks about grabbing women by the p***y and forcing them to hug him? Interesting. It’s also interesting that you think that makes him a “healthy, red blooded heterosexual”. I honestly don’t what part of that is more disturbing.

• Angela says:

I’m not married, actually.
          But no. Sorry. Tai is absolutely right. There is nothing to be proud of in regards to that kind of immaturity (and I’m being kind with that description).

• SJ says:

My point is, Trump and Bush didn’t know they were being recorded. Everyone’s entitled to privacy. I think it should be illegal to fire someone for comments that were made “off the record” so to speak. Whoever recorded that only to release it 11 years later clearly has an agenda and it’s not difficult to see what that agenda is. The thing is, it will probably backfire on them at least on the Trump front.

And while I personally don’t talk like that, I certainly heard that kind of talk – obviously, a little different, since I don’t know any multimillionaires – which is not to defend it, but it *is* a regular occurence. And since we’re at a point where mere words, not actions, lead to people being fired, yes, I can definitely say that we’ve become too touchy.

• KCC says:

They didn’t know they were being recorded? While wearing microphones? On a bus with Access Hollywood emblazened across it? With a camera man and a sound engineer with them? That is not a situation of an expectation of privacy. Anyone expecting a conversation to stay private in that situation is a fool. In 2005 Trump and Bush were both TV veterans and were quite aware that any mic could be “hot” at any time. They don’t always turn those things off. Their choice of small talk between recording segments was very telling about the kind of things they found to be common ground. I would tend to talk about the weather, sports, politics, what I watch on TV, etc. Locker room banter in that situation would never cross my mind. With the comments Trump made before recording the segment and then Bush insisting the woman hug Trump and then himself while recording the segment is very disturbing and to me a cause for termination. It was not so much what Bush said, but what he did after those comments were made that got him fired.
          Finally, someone anticipated Trump would one day run for President, win the nomination of a major party and then held on to that tape for 11 years to sabotage him? It might be time to get your tinfoil hat resized.

• Mary says:

So Clinton’s E-mail which were obtained illegally should be off the table also, especially because it was private between workers. It is obvious there is an agenda and it is not difficult to see what it is. But to get back to your response it has nothing to do with being politically correct but Human decency. They were grown Men and Women have come forward about Trump. You might want new friends if they actually talk like that because my inner circle most certainly do not.

16. Tracy288 says:

$10m???? Seriously?????

• Coop says:

I’ve read other reports saying that’s estimate is a little high, but him getting several million dollars isn’t surprising. He had a big 3-year contract and NBC would have suffered in court given that they didn’t punish him until it leaked. They knew about everything that’s happened over the past 15 years and just used him as a scapegoat. A very expensive one, I might add. Good for him. :)

17. Mike says:

If NBC really was this disappointed in him then they would have fired him 11 years ago. This is a PR move, plain and simple. It’s also BS. I’ve been losing interest in the Today show and this just finishes it for me. They’re hypocrites and they’ve lost me as a viewer(not that they care about just one viewer).

• Fairmont1955 says:

Having public documentation that Bush creates a work environment allowing sexual harassment would have cost NBC millions more in lawsuits. This tape opened the door and other women came forward to force the company’s hands because he was doing inappropriate things there, too, this wasn’t just a random occurrence 11 years ago.

It’s also a show targeting women viewers so longer term it was a smart move.

18. Diane says:

This is most ridiculous firing ever. Who cares what someone might have said over 10 years ago? Makes no sense!!!!!! I watched him everyday since he just started…

19. peterwdawson says:

Not a shock, the whole situation just kinda highlighted how creepy the guy can be. Can’t really keep doing his schtick anymore.

20. betty willis says:

No he doesn’t deserve to be fired. All this other crap that goes on with the higher ups and that getting fired for something that happened 11 years. I can’t believe they didn’t know about this tape before. I hope that guy who fired him is a saint. I think they just wanted to get rid of him. I’m glad he got all that money.Should have got more. Hope trump hires him

21. Jason says:

It’s the world we live in now that allows some stupid moment you might have had ten years ago to destroy your career in the present. As if people can’t grow and mature. Even so, 10 million is a pretty fine cushion. It’s just a shame because I like Billy Bush and this whole thing seems extreme. Apparently being contrite doesn’t mean a damn thing. The guy running for president just shrugs it off and could get elected. When did we become the land of no forgiveness or second chances. Of course most people are more than willing to throw stones until they’re the ones who end up in that glass house.

22. Jill says:

In this case, the punishment does not fit the crime. Billy owned up to his mistakes. He’s acknowledged what he did was wrong. He apologized & I believe it was sincere. Billy didn’t force Trump to say those things. All Billy really did was laugh. I’m not saying that’s right either but I don’t think it merits being fired. In this case, the suspension should’ve been more than enough.

23. Candace says:

I do not believe Billy Bush should not of let go for something 11 years ago. A sorry should of been enough. NBC does not have a heart.

24. Cmdr. Shepard says:

Even now moreso convinced he leaked the tape himself to be released from the NBC contract and be hired, after a period of ‘pray and reflection’ by a cable news corp.

25. Loretta Wiebe says:

That was a wrong move by NBC. Your punishing for his actions eleven years ago.Whatever happened to statue of limitations. Was it in his contract that you can fire him for past actions?

26. Betsykohraz@aol.com says:

Billy was young and starstruck and ultimately very sorry. I think the majority of young men would have behaved the same. My best wishes are with him and I hope that he finds a very rewarding career

27. I have been watching Access Hollywood for the best part of the last 14 years and obviously Billy was a huge part of that. Maybe his schtick at the start could be interpreted as smug, I just saw it as a guy trying to get his start in the business. The real Billy Bush in my mind is the one that presented Access Hollywood Live with Kit Hoover. She is a very down to earth person and I genuinely think that his banter with Kit on a daily basis was real and very natural. While his behavior with Trump wasn’t acceptable it’s not exactly shocking. I really do wonder had he stayed put on AH(Live) would they have fired him?

The Today Show is supposed to be their flagship show and for someone who has been a pretty loyal viewer for years between their handling of Brian Williams, the terrible job that Matt Lauer and Lester Holt did of those town hall and commander in chief forums I’m seriously thinking of switching off. They moved Natalie Morales and Willie Geist when they should have stayed put. Tamron Holt when she’s off script is just too much in the morning. Carson Daly is in LA with The Voice so much I wonder what the point is of having him on the show half the time. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to move him to the west coast so that he could be their anchor over there. They do such a crap job of reporting the actual news and provide their own bias on what they want everyone to here – not a Trump fan but sometimes let the other guy finish there sentence before you talk over them. I don’t know maybe the whole thing needs a complete make over. Getting rid of Billy Bush is the least of their problems imho.

28. Debbie Griggs says:

How many of us have said and done things that we are ashamed of…..but does that mean we should lose our jobs ……no I do not think so…..NBC! He apologized and a suspension should have been given without pay. We all deserve a second chance.

29. parstl says:

I don’t wish anyone ill-will but he was kinda a light weight and when you add his distracting behavior and the disruption he would cause if he remained it’s probably the right result. As much as ten million dollars wow. Hope he has the good sense to donate something to charity such as women’s rights groups or homes for the abused.

30. Elaine Chalmers says:

I’m glad he’s gone if Trump is getting in so much trouble because of it then he should to I didn’t like him on the today show anyway

31. Lame says:

Regardless his name and face will forever be recognized as part of that vulgar tape .His name may as well be “Billy the Bus Bush “.

32. Patricia says:

NO he should not have been fired it was almost 12 years ago.. He aplolagized .. Wtf … Hope the show gets canceled without him … He was great at his job … This must be a joke … Horrible decision to fire him in my opinion

33. Mike says:

What ever happened to forgive and forget, the other person in that tape is running for President of the United States but yet Billy Bush gets from from NBC, I think it’s time to start watching ABC or CBS.

34. bobbi6484 says:

He’s worked at NBC for 15 years and while I understand the need to reprimand him in some way, I totally disagree with this decision. They have a known liar in Brian Williams, who lied doing his job of reporting the news, but he was kept? They employed Trump for years and had this and many other tapes for years, but Billy gets fired? This is ridiculous.

35. Cas says:

I can only assume by most of these comments that most of you thought Brock Turner just “made a mistake” too.

36. Terrie says:

Billy Bush was wrong for agreeing with Donald Trump but I don’t think he should have been fired. The suspension was good enough. Wish him the best on his next journey

37. Diane says:

Billy Bush was trying to go long with Donald Trump like everyone else. H thought he was doing his job and playing along, sure it was a mistake on Billys part but I am sure he was not comfortable listening to that ignorant disgusting talk. He fell into the hands of a loud mouth pro manipulator, Billy played along but guaranteed he WILL NOT DO THAT AGAIN, lessoned learned for all. Donald Trump is a insecure controller. Things happen for a reason and I am sure Billy will better himself after this. Wish Donald Trump would learn from this.

38. Deanna Arute says:

Hope he can make a come back. I really enjoyed him on the today show… He was a joy to watch and so much fun. He seemed to love life, his work and his family. What he said was inappropriate and extremely immature, but 10 years makes a huge difference… we all know that. We learn, we live, we experience, we grow… I truely believe he is NOT the man we heard on that tape… Poor guy… It’s a total shame and I support second chances. Good luck to you and your family Billy Bush. I would be open to support you in the future.

39. Christi says:

Billy Bush was doing his job. He was told to interview trump. Even if he played a long with trump he did not say agreed with his behavior. Did you want him to have confrontation with trump before he completed the segment on days if our lives. It probably would of cause a huge upset with trump and filming. Billy should not be paying the price for Trump being a pig.

• Mary says:

Sorry I don’t buy that. After everything Trump said Billy makes the comment to his co-worker don’t we get a hug even though she had already shook hands which is the professional way of greeting someone. He isn’t innocent in this.

40. Rita says:

Yes !! And his excuse that he was young , that is a poor excuse he was old enough to know . Sorry Billy Bush you are horrible.human being . I will vote for Donald Trump this election.
    Hillary Clinton is a traitor liar and liar let us not forget all the Americans tortured and beheaded and Hillary did nothing Banghazi .

• Mary says:

LOL, you think Billy is a horrible human being but Trump gets your vote. Wow unreal. I have one word for you Hypocrite.

41. I have always found Billy Bush to be a nice guy. He’s fair and has boyish charm. He can be
    compared to Dick Clark in that his youthful appearence and great atitude makes him SHINE.
    This was a tough call but I hope Billy goes on to be sucessful and lands in a great position!

42. Brenda says:

No…this happened over 10 years ago. You are trashing his career because Hillary and her mafia are using every tactic to get ahead. You are the same TV station that trashed Ann Curry’s career because Matt Lauer had a temper tantrum. I have no respect for you! Look in your own closet and what type of scandals will you find from 10 years ago!?

43. Cactus Rose says:

PLEASE – somebody fire ME and give me 10 million bucks. I’ll be remorseful all the way to the bank! That said, I don’t think he needed to get fired. Yes, the comments were lewd and crude. Yes, Trump is a jerk. But how many other anchors and actors are on TV saying way worse things than that? Geez even the sitcoms today are worse. Sorry Billy – but have fun spending that cash.

44. Donika says:

I love Billy Bush that should never fire him should give him another chance he was very good guy everybody making steak what happened to the second chance?

45. Jan Knight says:

Billy was awesome. I quit watching the Today Show when Katie C left. When Billy started the Today Show I was again watching the show daily. Billy was funny and so entertaining.
    What Billy did was years ago. Everybody on this planet has done something that they are not proud of. He was awesome on the show. Bad decision to fire someone who was so perfect for the show. Please hire this talented man back. Everybody has made mistakes I never life. This did not happen recently!!!!

46. Corina Hayes says:

I do not believe he should have been fired. This happened 11 years ago and even if it hayyesterday he still should not have been fired. One it was in a private area where people always talk freely. Two he didn’t hurt anyone. We need stop all this stuff of bringing up things that happened in the past everyone makes mistakes.

47. Shirley says:

If you fire Billy then Trump should not be aloud to continue running for office.

48. Sherry Jackson says:

Oh my gosh…perfect example, be it, Billy Bush, Scapegoat for the scary left wing political media…who hasnt talked trash at some point in their lives? I’m 65 years old and I get it.
    BRING BACK BILLY BRING BACK BILLY

49. Sheri Holcomb says:

I think Billy Bush helped with a great vibe on the Today show and hope they will bring him back!

50. D says:

i emailed The Today Show when it became obvious he was joining the show to let them know i would stop watching if he acted as silly as he did on Entertainment Access Hollywood Edition. Glad he’s gone but poor Natalie Morales gets scrood again.