Scream Renewed Season 3

Scream Renewed for Season 3

Tuesday’s Scream Halloween special (MTV, 9/8c) won’t be the last you see of the Lakewood Six; the slasher drama will return for a six-episode third season, TVLine has learned.

Unfortunately, that’s all there is to report at the moment. Further details — including cast members and a premiere date — are not yet available, though MTV did confirm that the show is expected to get new showrunners for Season 3.

When last we left the Scream gang, Kieran — now in prison, following a few killer reveals — got a chilling phone call from someone claiming to be the real Ghostface. (Hmm… Could that be why a hotel clerk is seen welcoming “Mr. James” back to Lakewood in the Halloween special trailer?)

“There’s so much we can’t say about the future — and one of those things, of course, is how Kieran will continue,” then-showrunner Michael Gans told TVLine in August. “But he is alive and in prison … which means anything can happen.”

Your hopes for Scream‘s third season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Kelly says:

Great news! Didn’t think it would get renewed–love my summertime guilty pleasure

2. stacy says:

I expected this show to be as bad as the last couple Scream movies, but it has proven to be well acted, entertaining, surprising and I actually care if the characters live or die. I am so so happy this is renewed for another season!

3. Mr. Smith says:

YES! One more season, even if it IS six episodes.

4. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show got renewed for season 3! Can’t wait to see Halloween special next week!

5. Dave says:

Six is better than 0.

6. Lois says:

SO HAPPY! I would’ve liked more than 6, but something is better than nothing! I was pretty sure it was getting cancelled but I think fans of the show have been pretty vocal in their support and the cast is really great. The show really stepped it up in season 2 and I’ve been desperate for a 3rd. Looking forward to the Halloween special next week!

7. Esmith says:

Honestly, a shorter season could do this show some good. Cut the filler, get to the chase.

• Mark says:

Get to the chase, literally?

• Esmith says:

Literally which technically now means figuratively. :)

To improve the show they need to do the following:

1) Killer opening scene (More in the vein of season 1)
        2) Raise the stakes (this can also be done in 1 by offing a beloved character)
        2A) Get to the central mystery sooner. Season 2 wandered around a bit before anything substantial was revealed to the characters. Don’t do this. It’s boring. A horror show should be a lot of things, but boring isn’t one of them.
        3) Set up the rules of the universe. Then subvert them. The SCREAM movie series did this very clearly (Don’t answer the phone, don’t have sex, etc.). The TV series not so much.
        4) Better, witty dialogue. This should be Gilmore Girls with homicide. Instead, it plays more like Days of our Lives.
        5) More creative kills. So far, much of it has been a rehash.
        6) Hire me as showrunner. :)

8. James says:

OMG!!! Best news ever!!!!

9. Anne says:

This makes me nervous. I ADORE Scream. The films are perfect and I love the tv adaptation.
    Only 6 episodes??! And new showrunners??? I hate when they replace the showrunners.

• Quinten says:

Well they replaced showrunners in between seasons already. But the season 2 showrunners did a much better job than the season 1 showrunners and seemed to understand how to pay homage to the Scream films in really interesting ways. Kinda wish they’d have stuck around for the new season. But 6 episodes is better than none! And maybe we’ll have a clearer plot and a more focused story this year too.

10. Blue Zahn says:

YES! We are so very excited. It’s a shame not more people are interested in this and Scream Queens. Both great shows. Thank you MTV for the renewal. I wish it were more than just six episodes, but I’ll take it.

11. Jason says:

I think the approaching end of Teen Wolf is a major reason they’re sticking with it. The shorter episode order might also give them incentive to keep renewing it. Although it could also be a death knell. If that ends up being the case, I would hope they might give forewarning.

12. Andrew says:

I’m surprised. I really thought it wouldn’t get renewed—especially when the Halloween special was announced. At the time, it sounded like it was going to be a behind-the-scenes thing with the cast and showrunners discussing unanswered questions from Season 2 and where they hoped to take the show if it got a third season.

I had no idea the special was doubling as two more episodes (with plot). I haven’t even watched the trailer for it.

Anyway, six episodes is better than nothing. Actually, if you think about it, the special could count as two additional episodes on top of what’s been ordered for Season 3, bringing the total to 8.

It could go either way as to whether or not the third season will be the last, but I think there’s more story to tell. It’s also possible that MTV may order more episodes, who knows.

13. datdudemurphy says:

as much as I want to be greedy and say “but I want more episodes!”

I think a little less filler will probably work out better for the narrative.
    Glad to see it’s coming back.

14. Mike says:

6 episodes is ridiculous. Do a longer, full season and then divide it up the way PLL does, so we don’t have to wait a year for new episodes.

15. Mike says:

Is there a point to a show like this with only 6 episodes?

16. kerr says:

I love this show I’m glad they are making a season 3

17. Chelsea says:

More seasons and episodes please!!

18. Greg says:

when is the release date? this is one best shows i watched

19. Edina Casey says:

Just recently watched this show brilliant and all the cast it’s great they making another season ☺

20. Cecilia says:

I can’t wait for season 3 I hope they keep the same cast members

21. Cecilia says:

I can’t wait for season 3 I hope they keep the same cast members

22. Stephen Holleman says:

I still suspect the sheriff’s son to be a killer. Also, I’m almost positive noah is going to snap. He’s lost the only 2 girls he’s seemed to love and Emma can’t seem to learn her lesson with dating random guys which we saw with tom/Alex in the final episode. My opinion, Noah and the sheriff’s son are partners now writing and podcasting and I think they’ll be partners in crime if you know what I mean. A bloody crime. We’ll just have to wait and see

23. John Doe says:

Absolutely love this show!!!! So thankful and excited that is going to be on for another season even if it is only for 6 episodes. Keep up the good work!!

24. Alina says:

After season 3 y’all should bring everyone back and do a drama series for when they first started high school

25. I love scream,and now I’m addicted!!!!..I think they should make a 3rd season,I wanna know what happens after they catch the real killer😈

26. I would love to see this season!!!.
    I’m super exited to see what’s new,even if it’s only 6 episodes,better then nothing

27. Richard says:

I really loved the Halloween special but please tell me a release date for season 3 . I need more !!!

28. farrah says:

I can’t wait until this series returns, I live for this!

29. if i remember right kieran got killed by mr ghost face in the halloween special

30. onamialphane says:

I have been trying to look at this story in a different way i think Brandon James is not the killer which they made us believe plus he could have gone, married and the son who could possibly be Eli is the real killer but lets look back on season 2 the girl killed in the party knows the killer who i don’t think is Kieran much said let’s wait and see.

31. laura doerr says:

I really like the show. I hope it comes back on for 2017. Please let me know..

32. megan says:

i absolutely love scream. started watching it on Netflix because I wasn’t sure how it would be like the scream movies. immediately I was hooked. watch it every day until I finished season 2. im so ready to watch a 3rd season.

33. Marshall says:

This is one of the best screms ever ur dumb for thinking less and there should be no reason to not continue then u will get more complaints and make no money. My advice is keep the seasons going and let the audiences know who is behind the mask.

34. Connor says:

I’ve been waiting its been 5 months I really don’t think its coming back… 😭

35. Bob says:

Are they making a season 3???