Supergirl

Did Supergirl Expose Her Secret? Grey's Docs Blaming the Victim? This Is Us Medical Mystery? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Supergirl, Timeless, New Girl and How to Get Away With Murder!

snl-gary-johnson-jack-mcbrayer1 | Couldn’t the SNL writers have found some way to get Tina Fey’s Sarah Palin in a sketch with Alec Baldwin’s Donald Trump for a 30 Rock reunion? And why hasn’t Lorne Michaels hired Jack McBrayer to play Gary Johnson yet?

2 | Aren’t you a little sad that The Simpsons didn’t relocate to Boston, after all? (Life seemed so good there for them!)

3 | Why is Divorce‘s Frances still walking her teenaged children to the school bus every morning? Was it just to give her husband Robert an opportunity to lock her out?

4 | In Westworld, that little boy host that Ford ran into has to be based on himself as a child, right? And do you lend any credence to the theory that William is actually The Man in Black, and we’re watching two timelines in the show without realizing it, a-la This Is Us?

mel-rodriguez-ken-bone-undecided-voter5 | Did you have trouble getting to sleep Sunday night after watching the extremely volatile, stress-inducing second presidential debate? Speaking of… In the inevitable HBO movie based on the 2016 presidential election, Last Man on Earth‘s Mel Rodriguez has to play undecided voter/instant Twitter phenomenon Ken Bone, right?!

6 | Was Monday’s uproarious Big Bang Theory, in which Sheldon and Amy experimented with cohabitation, the funniest episode since last December’s coitus-themed, “The Opening Night Excitation”?

7 | How sizable do you think Amy Schumer’s paycheck was for that five-second Dancing With the Stars interview about Amber Rose?

8 | What are the odds that no one overheard Supergirl’s Clark and Kara speaking (loudly!) about being caped crusaders on a crowded street in Monday’s premiere?

9 | Timeless‘ Lucy was in 1865 how long before she scored a date (with Lincoln’s son)?! Like five minutes? And can the show send some of those paperweights over to The Flash?

10 | If The Voice‘s Billy Gilman didn’t have the “childhood country star” backstory, is there any way he’d have beaten Andrew DeMuro in their Battle Rounds duet of “Man in the Mirror”? Also, can anyone really win singing the done-to-death “Man in the Mirror” on a reality singing competition?

11 | Is it still Halt and Catch Fire if they’ve time-jumped all the way out of the 1980s? And what was the most surprising finale reveal: Donna as a single woman, Gordon’s grown-up daughter, or Cameron’s brunette hair?

12 | Will This Is Us wait until the season finale to have Randall (inevitably) go through William’s poetry collection and get curious Mandy Moore Diane Keatonabout how he ended up with the same name as a favorite poet? If Dr. K is an OB-GYN, why was he giving the triplets their check-up? Shouldn’t a pediatrician see to their care? And doesn’t Mandy Moore in old age makeup look like Diane Keaton (who played her mom in the movie Because I Said So)?

13 | Mindy Project fans, what’s the over/under on the number of episodes until Mindy hooks up with pediatric nurse Ben?

14 | Was the New Girl half of Tuesday’s Fox comedy crossover far superior to the Brooklyn Nine-Nine half?

15 | Can you name five redeeming qualities from Season 2 of Scream Queens so far, or are you as frustrated as we are?

American Housewife16 | How fake did American Housewife‘s school signage look?

17 | How great would it have been if The Flash had played a Dawson’s Creek scene featuring John Wesley Shipp during Barry and Jay’s chat? And does Arrow‘s Dig having a son instead of a daughter (courtesy of Flashpoint) mean that a Legends of Tomorrow future scenario with Connor Hawke is now a solid possibility?

18 | Since they’re already ghosts, was there really any point to American Horror Story: Roanoke‘s Ambrose setting The Butcher (and himself) on fire?

19 | Should Alex Trebek apologize to the nerdcore hip-hop community for referring to them as “losers” on Wednesday’s Jeopardy?

KARLA SOUZA20 | Place your bets, How to Get Away With Murder fans: The father of Laurel’s unborn, flash-forward baby is Wes, Frank or some dude we haven’t yet met?

21 | Would all of Grey Sloan really be jerky enough to freeze out Grey’s Anatomy‘s Andrew for committing the crime of getting beaten to a pulp by Alex for no good reason? Or is the show doing backflips to isolate (and then pair) him and Jo?

22 | On Pitch, wouldn’t the 40-year-old Darius McCrary be better suited to play a love interest for Kylie Bunbury’s Ginny than for her mom (played by Chastity Dotson, who also looks way too young for the role)?

23 | Was it jarring how quickly and easily Legends of Tomorrow‘s Oliver and Nate were able to board the Waverider Live With Kellyship, which was submerged in the Atlantic?

24 | Yes or No: Friday’s Live With Kelly guest cohost Carrie Ann Inaba deserves hazard pay for wearing a torturous-looking mouth guard during a game of “Speak Out”?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. drb999 says:

You ever walk by two people talking on a busy street in a major city and understand more than a couple of words? Kara and Clark weren’t talking loud enough. You’d have to hang close for a while to get the conversation.

• Charles says:

Exactly!!!!

Plus these days MOST people are too busy staring/typing into their phones to pay attention to ANYTHING else.

• Mary says:

Yeah, I was going to say something like that. That people passing by them weren’t paying close enough attention to them to have realized that they just walked by Supergirl and Superman having a chat in the streets.

• Phun says:

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. When walking the busy streets of a major city, I’m on a mission to get to my destination. I don’t have time to listen to what the people I pass on my way are talking about.

2. 14. No! Absolutely not. In no universe is the New Girl EVER funnier than Brooklyn 99

• YES, this. Thank you. A total waste of a crossover. Next time make it SVU/B99.

• Jamie says:

Right? New Girl is a cute show, but I laughed harder at the suggestion that it was funnier than Brooklyn 99 than I ever have at the actual show.

• Lala says:

14.When they say the crossover was far superior on NG I don’t think they actually meant funny but the fact that there was more interaction between the NG/B99 characters on New Girl than on B99. I follow B99 but I also tuned in to NG to watch the crossover and I’m not sure what the showrunners were going for with this but that was the lousiest crossover attempt ever esp when it came to the B99 epi. Very disappointing.

• Whatevah8 says:

Thank you!! I shut off New Girl.

• KT says:

I’m glad I’m not alone on this. I stopped watching New Girl a few years ago. I do adore B99. I used to think crossovers were a neat idea, but I don’t enjoy having to watch a show that I don’t normally in order to understand what’s going on.

3. tallsy says:

4. In Westworld, the boy is definitely young Hopkins, but despite what the staff says I think MIB may be a host who’s somehow learned to fool everything even other computers that tell who’s host v. guest.
    13. Mindy’s had too many love interests. Can we just put the show out of its misery and give Mindy Kaling some other show?
    15. Scream Queens Redeeming Qualities – Stamos/Powell shower scenes….and that’s all I got.
    19. Trebek is beyond criticism at this point.

4. Chase says:

I’d also add how quickly it took Oliver to change into his suit to confront Ragman at the Amertek event.

5. selinakray says:

4. I got the impression from one line of dialogue that it was his brother (and assumed that meant a brother who died).

6. Fido says:

9 – Exactly, totally unbelievable, that would’ve happened WAY sooner, along with a couple of marriage proposals. :)

7. Mary says:

Yeah, Oliver and Nate had an awfully easy time boarding the submerged wave rider and then Oliver seemed to just vanish from it once Mick had finished filling them in on what happened to the rest of the team. I thought they were going to drop him off in Star City, but he just suddenly wasn’t there any more.

8. Daisy says:

22. I definitely agree that Chastity Dotson looks way too young to play Ginny’s mom but why would Ginny want a 40-year old dude and not someone closer to her age?

• Nate says:

Yeah, for real, TVLIne, you’re advocating for a 40 year old to date.. what Ginny is supposed to be 23 at most? Like really?

• Carm says:

I thought they meant he looked young enough to date Ginny not that he was young enough

• Kim says:

I was thrown off by this one, too. Why would he be a better date for Ginny than for her mom? Because women are supposed to date older men? Or because women AREN’T supposed to date men who are, or even look younger? Dumb question either way.

9. 17: Yes, Flashpoint causes that dark timeline. Way to go, Barry!

• Fido says:

Wasn’t it the UNDOING of Flashpoint that was the cause. If Barry had just accepted his non-Flashy status in the Flashpoint universe then things would’ve been pretty much peachy.

10. Dr.Bombay says:

3. He locked her out when she was visiting her friend I thought.

• LAwoman says:

Yes, when she was visiting the Molly Shannon character and had taken her dog with her.

• LADY_in_MD says:

Yes this has bugged me as the recap for the pilot stated the same thing but he locked her out when she came back with the dog from Molly’s character
      But I do agree with the question my parents never walked me to the bus stop after elementary school

11. Gerald says:

17. Question is when they did the future episode did the writers already know they were chaning the timeline for Digg to have a son? Or do we need to make a big deal. Who is to say he didn’t have another kid, a son after he had his daughter.
    23. Bigger question how on earth did they pin point the time Ray was sent to if there were no humans or records invented to make a note of an anomaly.

• Daisy says:

23, New guy throws a magazine on a chair that features an article about a human footprint during jurassic period. That’s how they found Ray.

12. Gerald says:

8. Or that no one figures out Clark shows up the same time as Superman. Dr Heywood would have been all over that because Robin Hood showed up the same week Oliver came back from the island. People can’t be that dumb

13. Clau says:

17. Better question: How did Barry screwing with the timeline turn Diggle’s daughter into a son??

14. kirads09 says:

#19 No, I don’t feel he has anything to apologize for. At least not judging by the one short clip I saw here – was there more to it throughout the show? From what I can tell, he was just making (or attempting) a tongue in cheek joke. The entire concept of TBBT is based on similar, isn’t it? The contestant didn’t seem offended or hurt and if I understand, ended up winning. I’ve seen and heard hosts of all types of talk and game shows say much much worse and not ever be taken to task on it. Much ado about nothing.

• LaDonna says:

I watched the episode and no, there was NOTHING more said after that one little tongue in cheek comment. Honestly, I think Trebek identifies with the “losers”…remember the Glee song “Loser Like Me”? It seemed more like that to me. This has become a case where people are looking for something to be offended by.

15. LaDonna says:

19 – I saw it, and it wasn’t the insult everyone is making it out to be. No apology necessary.
    21 – Please do NOT pair Jo with Andrew! UGH!

• betsymac says:

21 – Andrew is just a plot trick to keep us on our toes with Alex and Jo. We all know they belong together. Right? RIGHT??

• Anna says:

I think there have to be like four remaining Jo and Alex fans.

• Jan says:

Um, actually, there’s a lot more than that. A lot of people simply can’t be assed reading all the boring and repetitive Jo hate getting spouted these days.. I still love them and they’re the main reason I watch. They’re the victims of horrendous writing, sure, but I find it hard to give up on my ships.

16. Adidas says:

20. I want Frank to be the baby daddy

17. bmac says:

20: Laurel’s baby has to be Frank’s, right? The future is only 4 weeks out. Not enough time for her to find someone new and get knocked up. Unless she and Wes were doing things they shouldn’t have before Frank left …

18. Lala says:

14. Worst crossover event ever!!!
    20. The way she’s worried about him and wanting to get in touch with him seems like there’s more to it. I’m guessing Frank is the father of Laurel’s baby…But I think Laurel will lose the baby and Wes will be there for her and that’s how they get even closer.
    23. LOT did well by dropping the hawk people & Savage

19. PatriciaLee says:

19. It took a few seconds to figure it out, but it seemed to be reiterating the affectionate loser label of the big bang theory relationship-challenged type people. Hey, they are making millions off the loser label, losers getting together and helping each other. Trebek seemed to be wishing her well onto millions, too.

20. BetsyBoo says:

6. YES! It was hilarious!!

21. Graceangel says:

20. The father of the child has to be Wes, her tummy isn’t big yet. The time of the test is 5months later if you do the math , unless she had sex with frank recently, but my bet is on Wes, he seem so concerned. About laurel lately, all I know is this pregnancy drama will bring an end to Wes and Maggie, if he’s the father she will feel betrayed, if he’s not he will want to be there for her, which will lead to insecurity issues with Maggie

22. jj says:

12. My guess is it’ll either happen when william dies/becomes bedridden causing randall to go to his old place or it will inadvertently come out now that randall wants to get closer to william

13. I give it 2 weeks, may or may not coincide with the end of the nurses strike

14. I’ll echo other commenters and say that this was a very poorly planned/executed ‘crossover’

23. c-mo says:

6. Quite possibly
    19. NO!!!!!!!

24. Jenn says:

I hope laurel and frank are reunited in secret. Laurel probably doesn’t even know she’s pregnant.
    I thought deluca and jo had chemistry in the last episode, but it is greys and honestly they couldn’t just have them Hook up, they had to ruin Alex instead.

25. Slh says:

So they are now posting these BEFORE the Friday shows??? Seems odd.

26. lena says:

20. i hope it’s not frank’s baby, laurel doesn’t deserve to be tied to a man that murdered a pregnant nineteen year old.

27. BCsDave says:

11. I believe Halt & Catch Fire jumped to the 90s because the writers thought there was a good possibility that this was the final season. If I didnt know it was renewed the day before I would of guessed it as a finale. Felt like one.
    The browser idea was just an idea that had to be big enough to excite all of them to get them all together again as they all moved on in theirs lives.

28. Larc says:

21- Nearly everybody at G-S seems to be trying to make Andrew the heavy. They should be careful they don’t give him good grounds to sue. As for Alex, I think he should have to pay such a price for what he did that he would gladly choose to sandpaper a tiger’s rear end rather than beat anybody else the way he did Andrew.

• Hank James says:

I think Alex was in the wrong, but don’t you think the way it’s being handled is actually more one sided and less nuanced that it actually is? He walked into his home and found one of two things, either his girlfriend being assaulted or her hooking up with some guy (someone he knew, no less). The actions are abhorrent and he went too far, but I would guess that would be a normal reaction for a great number of people in either of those circumstances. The real issue is that the show is bending over backwards to assign all blame to him and only him , at no point has anyone really talked about what went down and Jo has been completely MIA as a character in this storyline. The hope is that her reaction is coming from a place of having lived through some form of abuse is making her need to feel as though Alex is 100% to blame and there are no extentenuating cirmcumstances. Adults navigating the complexities of violence and abuse are interesting, plot devices are not, and this falls into the category of plot device. Most of the characters have come down on Alex almost absurdly “plot necessary” ways. If your friends, people that you have been through the fire with commit actions like he did, you have a conversation and ask what happened, that has been relatively non-existent with the exception of Mer and the show has used the “he’s my new person ” excuse, so it carries less weight.

The fact that he is working in the clinic, being a partial owner is ridiculous, he’s on leave until further notice, chances are there’d be a mandatory policy from the hospital to have distance greater than across the ER carport. It would have been more interesting to have him on admin leave and come to the realization that working in a clinic offsite would be the only way he could practice medicine until this was all resolved one way or the other. It wouldn’t have seemed like filler to have him slowly move in that direction and still be directing cases over to GS. Make the story about the adult Alex realizing he needs medicine and he wants to be there buy struggling with the real reality of not being allowed there.

Long story short, one sided story, Bailey did no favors (HR would have been all over her), They haven’t engaged us with a breadth of reactions. this is something everyone would and should have an opinion on and they really should have made that a visible debate in with the board through an actual session.

P.S, Nurse Tamir is a joke, it’s one thing to talk to the doctors in the clinic like that, but again knowing that the “Grey” you’re talking to might be the one who’s name is on the mast head, I’d imagine he’d be less inclined to thing of her like one of the other doctors and might behave a little more cautiously around her.

29. Stacy says:

21 – Grey’s Anatomy – The writers are indeed doing pathetic backflips, putting Jo & Deluca together. That or Grey’s Sloan is the crappiest hospital in America to work for.

30. Kiki says:

22 – ick. Darius McCrary is TWELVE years older than Kylie Bunbury.

31. Pat says:

#12 That was the first thing I caught when Dr. K was checking over the babies. I had two kids born during the seventies and as soon as they are delivered the pediatrician takes over or your family physician. You do not take the baby back to the OBGYN!

• 70s kid says:

I thought the same thing but then I remember that I was delivered by my pediatrician back in the 1970s.

• Ally Oop says:

I was born in 1983 and the doctor that delivered me was my doctor until the 90s when he moved away. Many OB-GYNs actually only covered complicated pregnancies back in the day and only in major cities. The majority of babies were delivered by family doctors.

32. Johnny says:

Well, considering two characters were (briefly) watching a live feed of the Man in Black, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say, NO THEY ARE NOT SEPARATE TIMELINES.

33. Johnny says:

The far bigger sin on Supergirl was when someone called Superman “Clark” in front of the entire DEO.

I’m assuming that his secret identity is not known to everyone working in the DEO, so that was pretty damn clumsy.

34. lois says:

For This is Us- it was not uncommon in the 80s for doctors who were family practicioners to deliver babies and provide care for them after

35. trainerbt says:

18 – There wasn’t – one of the many reasons Matt & Shelby’s story is awfully suspicious …..

36. Maxsmom says:

14. No. I preferred Brooklyn Nine Nine. At this point, I like New Girl’s actors but I am done with the characters.

37. Tom says:

1 | Couldn’t the SNL writers have found some way to get Tina Fey’s Sarah Palin in a sketch with Alec Baldwin’s Donald Drumpf for a 30 Rock reunion? And why hasn’t Lorne Michaels hired Jack McBrayer to play Gary Johnson yet?
    ~
    Good question on Fey, and Jack McBrayer would be FANTASTIC as Gary Johnson. I’d start a petition, but I’m lazy so
    ~
    ~
    I slept as good as I normally sleep. And you’re on fire with your casting suggestions.
    ~
    ~
    It was pretty funny, better than the most recent season finale and this season’s premiere.
    ~
    ~
    I wonder about things like that myself
    ~
    ~
    I need to watch this show
    ~
    ~
    I’m honestly a bit surprised by the uproar over that. As a bona fide geek I’ll admit I did find it disappointing when I was watching, but not enough to get up in arms over it

38. Karen MT says:

I’m more curious about how Arrow is going to reference Sara/John, since there may be people who *gasp* watch Arrow and not Flash, and may get confused.

39. TV Gord says:

I consider myself to be a nerd, and I thought Trebek’s delivery was hilarious! If he felt the need to apologize, THAT’s when I would feel insulted.

40. Ibis1996 says:

12. We saw that Randall has the book of poetry by his namesake, along with other books, on his end table with the photo of the Pearson siblings, so my guess is he knows the connection.

41. George H. says:

Guess they were trying to save some money on the budget for #16, lol.

42. Tara L says:

12. My family doctor delivered both of my children, 6 years apart, and they also see him for all of their check ups.

43. NRQ says:

1-Yes! Plus, if not Jack McBrayer for Gary Johnson, how about DJ Qualls? It’s eerie.
    6-Love the slow but understandable ramp up to Sheldon and Amy’s romance so this episode was perfect; and funny.
    7-Schumer’s pay? Probably too much.
    8-Wondering the same about the super cousins’ speech out in the open on SuperGirl.
    11-It’s a toss up. Donna being single is probably the big one for me here but Cam’s darker hair looked odd and kind of “un-Cameron Howe” like. Hope she goes back to blond.
    19-Alex Trebek was rude. I don’t get the whole nerd hip hop thing but hey, different strokes for different folks. Pretty shallow of him but not surprising either.
    22-No. I like the idea of Ginny’s mom scoring Darius’ character on Pitch (instead of younger Ginny) because there’s nothing wrong with a 40 year old guy hooking up with an older woman. Come on! It’s the twenty first century. Time to move on and evolve. Whatever works!

44. TrickyGreyArea says:

22. I keep coming back to the fact that Y&R cast Darius McCrary as a Malcolm replacement. Granted, that was misguided recasting, but if Shemar Moore was playing the mom’s love interest, I would have totally bought it (of course, SM is 6 years older than DM and has far more charisma). I completely agree that the actress they have playing her mom seems too young. I’m a bit surprised by the comments about McCrary being too old to play a love interest for Ginny, though, since Mark-Paul Gosselaar is actually two years older than McCrary (but maybe those who dislike the idea of Ginny/Kevin would also take issue with a romantic relationship for Ginny/Mike). I don’t know. I’m just really enjoying “Pitch” and very disappointed it is struggling with ratings. My favorite elements so far have actually been the supporting players and the way they have been developing them (Al, Blip/Evelyn’s relationship, and Oscar’s backstory in the most recent episode).

45. Nobody walking in any street is listening to anyone else. Everyone has earphones in and music on. So nobody was paYing attention and if they were the probably thought they were discussing Halloween costumes.

As far as Lucy and Robert Lincoln are concerned that was before the Secret Service.

46. Sarah says:

12. She looks like Sally Field… which makes me wish they’d hired Sally instead of making up someone who doesn’t seem to remember she’s supposed to be 35 years older. She did fine in the flashbacks, but in the present-day scenes it’s hard to get past seeing a thirty-something actress in age make-up, to see the 60-something character instead. Definitely the weak point of an otherwise brilliant series, so far.

• Carlos says:

I think they did a good job with Moore’s make-up and she did a good job acting older. I didn’t like the guy’s (new husband?) make-up though.

• Sarah says:

I never said the make-up was bad – it was perfectly fine. There are, however, some major changes to physicality you need to make when playing an older character, which she started to do then seemed to completely forget about: the voice changes with age, notably lowering in pitch and typically increasing in vocal fry (she had it in the first scene at the door, but nowhere else). You also move and speak more slowly, posture changes due to old-age aches & pains, etc.
        In her defence, it is easy to forget the physicality when playing an emotional scene, and it’s also easy to forget what’s on your face. However, putting it all together is what makes a complete performance – and ability to do it all AND play a highly emotional scene is what separates a “good” performance/actor from a “great” one… sorry to say, in my professional opinion, Moore DID miss component that would make her “old age” portrayal a “great” performance.

47. Ally Oop says:

Regarding This Is Us, back in 1980, there were a lot more “family doctors” who looked after kids from delivery to adulthood. What I really had a problem with in this week’s episode was how the triplets and their mother for that matter could go so long without breastfeeding.

48. Diane Glickman says:

21) And, When did Grey Sloan hospital get that huge staircase?

49. Phil says:

Hmmm, could Diane Keaton guest star and play Mandy Moore’s mom yet again? How awesome that would be!