Ratings: Lethal Weapon Ticks Up, Prentiss' Return Lifts Criminal Minds

Fox is probably feeling pretty good about its decision to order those extra Lethal Weapon episodes.

The rookie drama enjoyed its first week-to-week gain last night, drawing 6.7 million viewers and a 1.9 demo rating (vs last Wednesday’s 6.5/1.7). Empire also ticked up a tenth in the demo (to 3.3) while remaining steady among total viewers (9.3 mil).

Paget Brewster’s return to Criminal Minds boosted the procedural both in viewers (8.3 mil vs 7.7 mil) and in the demo (1.7 vs 1.4), while Code Black was unchanged (6 mil/1.1).

Meanwhile, the first hour of ABC’s comedy block (The Goldbergs and the super-compatible Speechless) was flat, while the second hour (Modern Family and black-ish) was up, with the latter surging three tenths to a 1.8. Kiefer Sutherland’s Designated Survivor (7 mil/1.6) was even. Over at The CW, Arrow was stable (1.9 mil/0.7) and Frequency was down in viewers (1.1 mil) and a tenth in the demo (0.3).

At NBC, Blindspot continued to trend downward, dropping another two tenths in the demo (from 1.3 to 1.1.). Law & Order: SVU and Chicago P.D. both ticked up a tenth (to a 1.4).

1. Seun Fayiga says:

Frequency did a 0.3 not 0.4

• Michael Ausiello says:

Right you are. Fixed!

• Marci says:

Why do you only post the demos. We old folks watch TV too, you know, and we’re tired of being marginalized all the time.

• CGS says:

While the total audience is of interest I think they focus on the demo because that’s the only indicator of a show’s survival, which is why I would think most of us are checking ratings. It’s the only reason I do, at least.

2. Nicole says:

I couldn’t even watch Arrow last night. The CW was out all night.

3. Gerald says:

Loved Arrow and LOVE Frequency. I hope it has a chance.

• wrstlgirl says:

Same, Frequency is pretty darn good.

• drhenning says:

I really like Frequency but it’s up against tough competition.. Not sure the Arrow audience is a good fit but who knows??? Maybe we should put all time travel shows together somehow!! Stick Frequency after SuperGirl and leading into Timeless on NBC.. Are maybe with Flash who seems to go back and forth screwing up time.

4. wrstlgirl says:

So happy for Lethal Weapon but dang Blindside looks bad. What about Survivor?

5. 'A' Got a Secret says:

No Arrow recaps tvline? :(
    Where are Survivor’s ratings?

6. Tori says:

Kill Rafael Barba. Kill SVU. He’s HORRIBLE. The show is almost as bad as him.

7. steven says:

Where’s last night’s Arrow recap?

8. BrightLight says:

I enjoyed both Criminal Minds and Code Black last night.

9. RedReddington says:

Blindspot is so good. I hate that it’s losing viewers. Hopefully NBC will be patient with it. :(

10. Katherine215 says:

Very excited to see Lethal Weapon doing so well.
    Bummed by the Blindspot numbers, but I have to say, I’m not really enjoying the story lines this season. I hate Weller’s baby drama, Jane still feels isolated and removed from the rest of the team (which doesn’t even feel very tight knit to begin with), and Zapata has been kind of hypocritical thinking she has the right to judge Jane when she’s just as bad. Reserving judgment on Reade’s storyline after last night’s ending. And now potentially hooking Weller up with Nas? Come on.
    The best part of the show for me, besides the puzzles, was Weller and Jane’s relationship, and they’re barely interacting at all. I love Patterson and Borden but one of them will probably end up being the mole because TV is cruel.

• wrstlgirl says:

I unfortunately bailed on Blindspot. I don’t really care much for Jane and when they started the baby drama I was out. I had hoped over time that Jane would grow on me but I just can’t with that actress. For me, Lethal Weapon is so much fun to watch so now I’m watching that instead. I miss Strike Back!!!

11. Jan says:

Lethal Weapon is a perfect lead-in show. I love it.
    Blindspot…not so much. It’s way too heavy for 8pm.

12. kendall says:

I’mm so happy for criminal minds!!!

13. Rheinmeister says:

Is Arrow loosing viewers to Lethal weapon? The quality of the writing is much improved this season its a shame that the demo and audience are down…..I know, audience doesn’t matter to advertisers but still. Hope it ticks up later.

As a few people have already mentioned why no recaps TVLINE – first time in forever maybe that they haven’t recapped the episode…

14. Rachel says:

Awesome that Lethal Weapon is doing well.

As for Frequency, I’ve been watching it through Amazon so I didn’t actually know it was on the CW. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems as though that’s an odd fit for it, and I’m not sure it’ll find the audience it needs there. I’m withholding judgement on the show itself until I see where it goes after recapping the movie in it’s pilot (haven’t seen the second episode yet), but I will say I really enjoyed the acting.

• CGS says:

Felt very un-CW and not in a great way. It’s an okay show, but I’m unconvinced it will remain interesting for long, and it feels like a CBS show, just slightly more interesting than their usual lineup.

15. TheloNaGrapso says:

Why have you stopped reporting total viewership numbers for many shows?

16. Boiler says:

And Laura was canceled. How stupid!

17. Penny says:

Oh man, the BEST news about Lethal weapon! I used to watch Blindspot live but switched to LW because I just like it so much better. I agree with another commenter, Blindspot is a little darker for 8pm. Still a great show, just not a time slot I think they should stay at.

18. Maureen Rutledge says:

Love the new show Lethal Weapons but so disappointed in Criminal Minds…not the same without Hotch and probably won’t continue to watch!

19. kmw says:

I could have sworn Empire was a 3.3 last week and then adjusted up and I thought that it started today at a 3.4 which would mean it adjusted down. Oh well it looks like it wont drop too much further this fall. Good for Lethal Weapon. Bad for Blindspot but not really surprised. Good night for ABC

20. tvloverSA says:

Why doesn’t NBC switch timeless and blindspot as timeless is a very family oriented show which is fun and historical, while blindspot is more dark and intricate. …will be best suited for the old 10pm while timeless will be best Wednesday before both shows die. I love them both

21. ReneCat says:

Very glad to hear about Lethal Weapon! Was VERY pleasantly surprised at how much I like this show. I am a huge fan of the movies and really was all set to hate the show but I really like it. So, now I have something to watch while waiting for Designated Survivor. LW also gives me another FOX show to watch besides Gotham and The Exorcist.