greys anatomy season 13 episode 4 recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Crush Hour

Apparently, Meredith never learned how to tell when she was fighting a losing battle. In Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy, although her eyes got that certain sparkle in them whenever Nathan was around, she continued to rebuff his every attempt to get closer to her… but in such a cute, flirtatious way that, of course, he had to try, try again. Did he finally succeed in convincing her to spend time with him outside of Grey Sloan (and her SUV)? Read on and find out.

‘WE’RE IN THE CLEAR’ | As “Falling Slowly” began, Alex was at the clinic, griping to Meredith about how much he hated it there. She offered “solidarity and all of that,” but his supervisor, Nurse Tamir, was clearly not a Karev fan. Later, at Grey Sloan, having followed Grey’s orders and gently turned down Maggie’s request for a date, Nathan felt that, bullet dodged, he and Mer were now free to hang out. Alas, “I don’t hang out,” she informed him, adding that “we are not that type of friends.” What kind were they, then, Riggs wanted to know. (Frankly, didn’t we want to know, too?)

Complicating matters was the fact that Maggie was being totally weird around Nathan, and he backed Mer when she and Owen disagreed about whether a patient injured in a glider-plane accident needed surgery. “We make a good team,” Riggs noted. Hmm… but did they? It seemed less so when the patient’s condition took a nosedive — and she wound up as paralyzed as her paraplegic husband. Understandably upset by this development, Mer wondered whether Nathan had sided with her because of (cough) “you and I.” Insulted, he spat back, “I agreed with you because you were right, not because you were you.”

At the end of the hour, Mer told Nathan that she couldn’t “have another case where I question my medical decisions or yours” and asked if they could just be colleagues. “Sounds stuffy,” he noted. He was just asking why they couldn’t be friends, at least, when Maggie walked up. He covered, which led to Pierce thanking Mer for talking to him for her. (As if.)

‘FIGURE OUT YOUR LIFE ON YOUR OWN SCHEDULE’ | When Alex asked for an hour off from the clinic, Tamir called him on considering his duties there “grunt work” compared to what he did in “the hallowed halls” of the hospital, and turned down the request. The nurse wouldn’t even allow Karev to do anything that involved cutting into a patient since he wasn’t allowed to perform surgery. Eventually, Alex was tasked with caring for a teenage alcoholic, and brought the subject to his lunch break with his pals at Grey Sloan. “This is not the cafeteria, Karev,” said Tamir upon locating his lackey.

Later, Richard intervened with the young drunk, Emma, playing good cop to Alex’s bad. But Webber’s effort was such a disaster, he seemed to accidentally dislocate the girl’s shoulder. When Jo arrived as Karev’s surgical consult and they, as usual, had words, he finally threw up his hands and walked in order to make his appointment on time. However, he’d no sooner boarded his bus than he asked to be let off, as he suspected alcoholism wasn’t Emma’s problem. Quietly, Alex delighted as Richard delivered the correct diagnosis that he wasn’t allowed to, and ended the day oddly happy, despite the fact that his lawyer thought he was headed for the slammer.

greys anatomy season 13 episode 4 recap‘SHE’S YOURS NOW, I’M NOT TAKING HER BACK!’ | In other developments, the honeymoon appeared to be ending — already?!? — for the Hunts. Amelia’s natural Amelia-ness led to questions like, “How can we have children? I barely know you!” Mer offered Owen her support but jokingly refused to take back his wife. It didn’t help that even Nathan seemed to know more about Hunt than his missus did, and Amelia knew more about Stephanie than she did about her husband. “I should’ve married you,” Shepherd told Edwards. That night, Owen reassured Amelia that she could tell him anything, and then, they took turns confiding in one another horrible incidents from their pasts. “We’re OK, right?” she asked afterwards. And, as a matter of fact, not only were they OK, but there kids would be, too. So “let’s not wait,” Owen said. (According to the scenes from next week, they didn’t!)

‘IT’S A LIE!’ | While Ben discovered Jackson sleeping standing up at work, April crashed in an on-call room and informed Stephanie that it’s a fallacy that moms are supposed to make Zs when their kids doze off, because “babies don’t sleep!” In surgery, Avery complained to Warren that he felt obliged to drink the coffee that Kepner informed Robbins she felt obliged to make for them every morning. “So move out,” Arizona suggested. That night, the exes had a little tiff about their attempts to co-exist/cohabitate, but in the end, neither of them wanted April to pack up. They even called it quits with the coffee thing. #progress

‘NO ONE’S GONNA KNOW IF WE TALK TO EACH OTHER’ | Finally, Bailey informed Andrew that “you are not to discuss [your case against Alex] within the walls of the hospital.” Which he said shouldn’t be a problem since pretty much no one was speaking to him, anyway. When Arizona inquired about the proceedings, DeLuca shot her down, citing chief’s orders. Yet it seemed like he and Jo were still on OK terms, since he was the only person who knew her secret.

So, what did you think of “Falling Slowly”? Is the show hooking up Andrew and Jo? Reuniting Japril? Hit the comments with your theories/hopes/concerns.

1. Amber says:

When will the people at Seattle Grace/Mercy West/Grey-Sloan memorial hospital realize that Jo is a garbage person? She is the worst. And how gross was that last scene with Owen and Amelia? “This horrible thing happened to me. I did this horrible thing. Let’s make babies “.

• Kaya says:

It was about them feeling comfortable enough to share their worst secrets – his PTSD, and for her, Ryan’s death. (So interesting that we got to see both of these things happen years ago.) By opening up, they both realized, they were going to be ok.

• LaDonna says:

Agreed, Kaya…a real relationship is about accepting the ugly pieces of that person’s life along with the good things. I thought this was a great step forward for both of them…being able to admit it and trust that the other person was going to accept it.

• Anna says:

Agree about Jo, but disagree about that final Amelia/Owen scene. While I think it’s odd they waited to have this conversation until *after* they got married, it read as two damaged people that felt like they could finally express the worst moments in their lives and weren’t judged for it. When they realized they weren’t garbage people, it opened up a door in their relationship – they can move forward with the beautiful things in life that they want for themselves. Like babies.

• TVFAN says:

I saw Owen and Amelia realize they could move on from their painful past and experience happiness. They didn’t have to carry the guilt of their sins.
      Oh Jo is the worse. Deluca is kind of sucky too. Man she has lived this lie, got a hospital covering a person who they don’t even know. He thinks people aren’t talking to him now? Wait until they find out he carried Jo’s secret that she is married. This storyline will probably come to during sweeps so they need to hurry up and get here so we can close out this storyline.

• ItsAllBeenDecided says:

Yep, horrible writing.

2. Kate says:

I sincerely hope Shonda won’t turn Andrew into total douchebag…he’s a great character and deserves a proper coherent Storyline. Let’s hope she isn’t using him to excuse Alex’ behaviour…!!!!

3. Ariah says:

Jo is more boring than bland toast. Valuable screentime is being wasted on her and Deluca, who are the most useless characters on the show. They BRING nothing to the show. I’m glad Alex is paying for his mistakes but I’m also glad he is accepting his consequences. Amelia will not be pregnant because Shonda said that Caterina’s pregnancy will not be written into the show. That Jackson and April scene in the end was beautiful. Who knew divorce could allow them to communicate like adults. I wonder what’s going to happen when one of them starts dating, will April still be living with Jackson? Talk about tension.

• chantal giel says:

Yes Jackson and April still have chemistry. The loss of their first child drove them apart and perhaps this one will reunite them… Sure hope so! Specially if Grandma Katherine is not around.
      Why doens’t Jo come clean? and can’t De Luca forgive Alex now that is ok. He could let Alex pay for his medical bills and call it quits after he has seen him suffer in de clinic.

4. Liz says:

I definitely do not like Jo. I blame her for the fight between Alex and Andrew. Alex is so much better without her. I’m hoping she decides to go back from wherever she came from.

5. Luli says:

Please no Jo and Deluca together, just no…. And I love Japril!!!

6. N says:

Ger rid of Jo

7. fatalsin says:

this was a boring filler episode… :(

• Lisa says:

Whether you find it boring or not is obviously up to you but I’d like to remind you that that’s life. More has happened to those characters in the past 12 years than happens to most in 12 lifetimes. If there was to be a shooting, a plane crash or a messy divorce every single week, the show would become a joke. This episode was about relationships and adjusting to life after big things happen. There was a divorce and a dramatic birth, now they have to learn to live with the baby and figure out the dynamic. There was a dramatic fight and there’s a lawsuit, now they have to wait and see how it goes. It’s normal, it’s even above normal. I personally wouldn’t call it boring or filler. It makes the show greater because it makes the situation and the characters real!

8. Dominique says:

please tell me they aren’t actually considering putting andrew and jo together. that would be terrible, deluca is a very likeable character who has so much potential. i don’t want to see that wasted on someone like jo who just sucks the joy and life out of everything. everyone deserves better than her.

9. Allison says:

I really don’t understand why everyone is hating on Jo. I think she and Alex are great…when they’re great. I do feel like Shonda should write her more conflicted about het feelings. She’s coming off as done with Alex and fine with it. I def feel they are setting up what will at the very least be preceived as a romance with her and Deluca. Finally while I am cautious of mentioning “she who shall not be named” but was the lingering shot on the name of the Deuquette Clinic some type of preminission of guest stars to come?

• MAS says:

I thought that lingering shot was really odd. It was like an in memorial, but why? I thought it was a very poor directorial choice. Wasn’t it also at least the 2nd or even 3rd time we have seen that sign?

• melaniedhi says:

No freaking Katherine Heigl will get back to that show, even for a guest appearance, after all the drama and unprofessionalism she showed to the show and the fans. Karma got her back

• Lisa says:

The way I see it is, they never EVER mention the clinic, I’m not even sure they’ve mentioned it once since the whole drama happened, so the shot is them trying to say ‘heeey, me didn’t pull this place out of our bums, remember when we talked about it so many years ago????’

10. Tennisnsun says:

Pretty much a snore with the exception of hand sanitizer being shared by each in the group before they sat to eat. Have watched Grey’s from day one and have never seen them bother with it. I know they scrub in/out endlessly but that was a shocker!

11. Hs says:

So glad I’m not the only person who blames Jo for Alex going ballistic when he thought Andrew was hurting her. Ready for people to fuss at Jo a little.

12. Adeola says:

I’m getting bored. Period

13. judy says:

what was Emma, the teen age “alcoholic”‘s real problem?

14. Alichat says:

Lord….I thought Amelia was annoying, but Maggie is really driving me batty with all this ‘OMG…I have to walk beside Riggs. OMG, I have to see him in the hallway. OMG, he’s looking at x-rays’

15. Jay says:

Oh god Maggie, you’re clearly looking in the wrong direction. just hook up with Arizona.

16. Yoko says:

Can’t stand Jo anymore. Don’t like the story line but what’s even worse is the Meredith/Riggs relationship. Please God no no no! That story is written poorly and he’s NOT the guy Meredith needs after Derek. I can’t stand the two of them together. Maggie is better off without him too. Let’s get a new Derek and Mark Sloan type characters!! This guy is not it!!!!