UnREAL Season 3

UnREAL Shakeup: New Showrunner Named Following Creative Nosedive

Following a creatively disastrous second season, UnREAL has appointed a new showrunner as it plots a course for Season 3.

Stacy Rukeyser, previously an executive producer on the Lifetime drama, will run the show’s day-to-day affairs in its upcoming third season — taking over for Carol Barbee, who became showrunner after series co-creator Marti Noxon’s exit early into Season 2 — our sister site Deadline reports. Rukeyser’s previous credits include ABC Family’s Twisted and The Lying Game.

And Rukeyser certainly has her work cut out for her. Echoing concerns from fans and critics, TVLine’s Kim Roots recently outlined nine crucial fixes for Season 3, following what many believed to be a sophomore slump for UnREAL, which was universally praised in its first season. Among her grievances: Everlasting‘s never-ending parade of bosses, the continuing existence of Jeremy, and the voyeuristic nature of Rachel’s mental health storyline.

The third season of UnREAL begins production in February in Vancouver, and is slated to premiere in summer 2017. What changes would you like to see made? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. I would love it if they made the characters somewhat root worthy. At the end of last season all I felt for all of the main characters was disdain. Far cry from S1. Also I’d love to bring back Adam for more than just 1 episode. Let him and Rachel have a slight chance.

• ChrisGa says:

This. All shows have their share of loathsome characters but when all three principles have no rooting value whatsoever it can be a hard pill to swallow week in and week out.

2. LADY_in_MD says:

I would like them to do a storyline for the sake of the story not just throw in things cause it’s what is being talked about right now stick to more focus on the contestants like they did in season 1

3. Courtney says:

I quit in the middle of S2, but would love if the show rejuvenated itself. The characters need to have some development or growth. It can’t just be the same thing over and over again. Also, I would like if they changed up the setting instead of it being the mansion for most of the season. Also, why not do a Bachelorette season?

4. Elie says:

Can they replace Marti Noxon on Bravo for Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce as well? That show feels like it’s written by a dude from the 80s. Who’s the Boss was more feminist than that crap. Bless Lisa Edelstein but she deserves better material and it shows she doesn’t buy into the double standards on that show.

5. Phil says:

Here’s the pitch: Coleman’s evidence against them is discovered in the crash, but he doesn’t survive. Yael does, and is able to point the authorities their direction. The police actually do their job, investigate, and PROSECUTE Rachel, Quinn, Chet and Jeremy for their criminal actions. Jeremy for murder, obviously, and the other three for their crimes against humanity.
    And UNREAL itself pivots to become a deconstruction/commentary/takedown of criminal justice/true crime shows.
    I can’t watch these characters again unless they are held accountable.

6. Rachel says:

More Adam!!!!

7. Amber says:

I loved season 1. Season 2 I loved as well. The intensity of it all is amazing. How will they top it? How will everything play out with the cops?

8. wrstlgirl says:

I still really don’t get what all the fuss is about. Season two wasn’t that bad but okay.

9. Evan says:

Was the problem Barbee or Gertrude Shapiro? From what I’ve read, the decline in quality in S2 seems to stem largely from SGS. But who knows?

• rowan77 says:

I got that too. Shapiro has a huge ego and may have been given too much leeway by Barbee, especially since she has no real experience writing drama. Hopefully they will be back on track for the 3rd season.

10. Ian says:

They shouldn’t have been so shocking for the sake of it in such really stupid ways, is my contribution. It just came off as if they were trying too hard, which they obviously were. Making a bachelorette crap themselves? And what was that random police shooting, because that’s how it was treated. Sigh.
    And I feel bad for that actor, but they ruined Jeremy. Let him go.
    All the backstabbing with no lasting consequences. It was just a fast and all-over-the-place mess. They did so much better with a suicide and a cuckolding last year.

11. Jovana says:

No more stuff happening just to surprise the audience and then get dropped by the next episode. And please, bring Adam back.

12. abbyrose says:

why did marti noxon leave? anyone know?

• Whatever says:

Sarah Gertrude Shapiro said Noxon’s was not really there for the show and only focus on Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce, so Noxon left after season 2 premiere to focus on a single show.
      SGS is very experienced in reality programs but scripted drama/comedy is a different beast and Noxon experiences were very much missed in season 2.

13. jj says:

a new showrunner is MUCH needed! I’m still surprised marti noxon kept quiet for as long as she did!

14. LKE says:

Here’s a plot idea for S3. Rachel wakes up in her bunk in the photo truck (or whatever it’s called) and realizes season 2 was all a dream. And then they start the season all over again….same cast as season 2. Do over!

15. tybabb says:

This headline is a little dramatic. It wasn’t as good as season 1 but a creative nosedive? Goodness. It was still a good show.

• Vanessa says:

I felt that way too. Season 2 definitely wasn’t as good as Season 1 but frankly it was still an overall better show than much of what is out there. I think certain plot points (the shooting, really?) were pointless and it missed the contestant focus that the first season had but I find some of the criticisms a little overdramatic as well.

16. Cancellation would work for me.

17. MRD says:

Don’t get rid of Jeremy, it was the writers’ fault and not Josh Kelly’s.

18. Amy J says:

All these showrunner changes really sounds like art imitation life… or vice versa.

19. Maruschka says:

I want Rachel to be happy for a bit with Adam and I would love it if Jason Behr could be on the show.

20. judisunshine says:

I still loved Season 2, but understand some of its criticisms and I really don’t want it to get cancelled, so whatever needs to happen for that NOT to happen is okay with me. I do think Quinn and Rachel were separated too much in S2. Both actresses are excellent apart, but when they’re together, those are usually the show’s strongest scenes.

21. Twisted and The Lying Game were so bad. I hope she won’t ruin UnREAL.

22. Joey Padron says:

Glad they got a new showrunner. Season 2 was pretty good. Hopefully they can back to their roots of season 1. Excited for season 3!

23. Alyssa says:

I still think it went downhill because o the absence of Marti Noxon. From what I read it seems like Sarah Gertrude Shapiro was one of the main problems. Maybe she should take a back seat.

There was too much shock value in S2.
    I would love for S3 to be better, but I don’t know how they will crawl out of the hole they dug. There’s too much over-the-top plot (outright murder…shootings….undercover journalists crapping themselves) they left off with and I don’t know how it could come back to S1 quality.

Also, I stopped caring about and rooting for Rachel almost completely. At least in S1 you could tell she had some humanity left in her.

24. Nicole says:

Bring back Adam!!

25. Hurley says:

I really liked season 2. :S

26. Ally Oop says:

I’d like to see Rachael walking away from Everlasting altogether. I think its the only way to recoupe her character. Give her a new reality show to run, one which she thinks will be morally better but will ultimately realize is just as awful. Make Quinn a network boss, therefore still a major player, and have some of the crew hired on this new reality show.

27. Ram510 says:

Can they get Marti to be the showrunner again? I feel that would be beat

28. tjchurch2001 says:

One thing I believe would help the show is rip on reality shows like “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette” without also attempting the “Law & Order”-esque “ripped from the headlines” things… They lost me in the final few episodes with the 2 car accidents (including the season-ender) & the Rachel-created police event.

29. Mary says:

Love this show. Please keep this show forever!

30. Dennis Ezell says:

Don’t know why so much fuss. I liked season 2, just as much as season 1.

31. JP says:

Just finished Bing watching seasons 1 and 2 and can’t wait for more! This show is awesome and I don’t know what the issue with season 2 is. I thought it was great!

32. Shirley says:

Have all female contestants do a bikini contest picked by the bachelor and spice the show up more with more lingerie and stick to the contestants like Kim Matuladawn patrol wow what a sexy great job she did hot body too

33. Shirley says:

Kim Matilda. Very sexy very hot

34. I guess I don’t know anything about what makes supposedly good tv. I happened to like s2, why does there always need to be somebody to root for? I thought it was about character development, we got to see just how screwed up everyone was which to me made them more relatable. They are just screwed up people tring to save their own butts. It reminds me of our government right about now.

35. Maggie says: