This Is Us Ratings

Ratings: This Is Us Ticks Up in New Time Slot, Builds on Voice Lead-In

Don’t shed any tears for This Is Us. In its new 9/8c time slot, NBC’s rookie weeper saw its ratings increase, with Tuesday’s episode drawing 9.8 million viewers and a 2.8 18-49 rating. That’s up from the 8.8 million/2.6 rating it pulled in with its last original episode two weeks ago (when it aired at 10/9c) and even with the show’s strong premiere performance on Sept. 20.

Even more impressive, This Is Uswhich has already been picked up for a full season — built on The Voice among the 18-49 set (the durable music competition notched a 2.5). NBC notes that it’s the first time in history a scripted series outperformed its Voice lead-in.

NBC’s momentum continued into the 10/9c hour, with Chicago Fire‘s Season 5 premiere attracting 7.5 million viewers and a 1.8 rating — up from its Season 4 finale performance (7.9 mil/1.7) in the demo.

ABC’s freshman sitcom American Housewife got off to a solid start, virtually tying it’s Middle lead-in among viewers (both pulling in roughly 6.5 million) and beating it in the demo (growing to 1.8 from The Middle‘s 1.7). TVLine readers gave the Housewife premiere an average C+ grade. At 9 pm, Fresh Off the Boat (5 million/1.5) returned up in the demo from its May finale (1.2), while The Real O’Neals (3,8 mil/1.2) also ticked up (from a 1.1). Agents of Shield (2.8 mil/0.9) was essentially flat at 10/9c.

Over at The CW, The Flash fell from 1.3 to a 1.0. At 9/8c, rookie dramedy No Tomorrow sank from a 0.5 to 0.3.

Fox’s much-hyped Brooklyn Nine-Nine/New Girl crossover didn’t lift either show. In fact, they both shed a tenth in the demo (0.9 from 1.0).

Lastly, CBS’ procedural one-two-three punch of NCIS, Bull and NCIS: New Orleans dipped slightly.

1. Celina says:

I guess it wasn’t just me who was disapointed with flashpoint. Because, with all the fun things they could’ve changed, they’ve decided to mess with Joe! 😡

• Patrick says:

Its not just that. I don’t like sad, morose, Flash (show and the character). Dark Cisco is the WORST IDEA THE SHOW COULD HAVE COME UP WITH. It was a fun show. It is getting less fun.

• Celina says:

Exactly! Everybody loved the show because it’s light, fun! We already have dark (arrow). I don’t know what they were thinking!
        They need to fix this ASAP!

• sarah t says:

I agree, the things we loved about the show (fun Cisco, caring involved Joe and his good relationship with Barry and Iris) have been altered now. I’m sure we’ll see less of a difference as the season progresses but still, a little disappointing.
      I’m also wondering if there are any other repercussions over on Arrow (other than Diggle’s kid now being a boy). I’m guessing they’re likely is…

2. Ken says:

What about Scream Queens ratings last night?

3. Neemo says:

Great job, The Middle! It really improved ABC Tuesdays

4. Saynay says:

Great news for This is Us.

Last night’s episode of The Flash was better than the premiere, but I’m still iffy on how the season will develop.

I guess No Tomorrow is done.

5. Carla Krae says:

What’s with the incomplete reporting of numbers lately? It just looks lazy now.

6. Nicolás says:

No Tomorrow is looking like a No Renewal.

7. kmw says:

Awesome for This is Us. I would never believe a show would gain from The Voice. I am happy that That The Middle didn’t do too badly on its new night. As for that ” crossover” I thought it would help both of them a little I didn’t expect them to drop. Poor FOX cannot get more than one or two nights with decent numbers

• Larc says:

This Is Us ratings jump shouldn’t be any surprise. It’s new time slot provides a good escape for CBS Tuesday night denizens disappointed by Bull.

• MMD says:

And that works for me. I tried, really tried to like Bull but couldn’t get beyond the first 15 minutes last night. I love This is Us, something I rarely say about a tv show.

8. Kristina says:

Really loving This Is Us and excited to see it doing well!

9. RedReddington says:

Glad Agents of Sheild is doing well in the DVR ratings, because this new timeslot is slowly shedding viewers. Ugh.

10. HAP says:

The ratings for This Is Us are climbing simply because people are coming to the realization that it is likely the best show on network TV. Watching last night, I could help but wonder how amazing this is.

11. Kevin K says:

Bad news for No Tomorrow :-(

12. B says:

Small rant: It’s a pain when networks schedule programs 1 minute over the hour or half hour. My DVR only records 2 at a time (it costs too much to get one that handles more), and when there are multiple programs I want to record, something gets left out. If shows began and ended on the hour, it would be fine, but because of the off-scheduling, the DVR sees 3 shows trying to record at once since one runs a minute over. This ploy doesn’t make me watch something live or keep me present for commercials; it makes me skip that show (in the most recent case, New Girl — the only thing I watched on FOX).

–Aside from that, I’m sorry to see No Tomorrow do so poorly. I hope it does pick up with DVR viewing. It’s different from pretty much everything else out there, and it’s lots of fun. It doesn’t seem like a great match with The Flash, though, so I hope CW gives it a shot elsewhere in the schedule.

• TV Gord says:

I agree. If I hadn’t been quick on the remote when it switched over to This Is Us, I would’ve missed the nice surprise at the very end of the episode. Fortunately, This Is Us had a healthy recap at the top, so I didn’t miss anything. If I hadn’t been home, though, I would have been hollering at my DVR when I got around to watching.

• I’m sad about No Tomorrow. I agree with you – very different and fun. The ratings are a total bummer. :(

13. Chelsea says:

Scream Queens was fun last night! I hope people would tune in too.

14. Maria says:

…tying “its” Middle lead-in. Not “it’s”.

15. Boiler says:

Another ABC example of cancelling the wrong show. They will rue their decision on Nashville which tied or beat AOS in demo and had about 50% more viewers. Who would ever think Paul Lee should be better

16. Nero tTVfiddler says:

This Is Us looks mighty good so far – great news for NBC. The show will gain new viewers in the 9pm slot (linear, live viewers… music to the ears of the show’s sponsors/advertisers.) All-systems-go for This Is Us… if the writing can hold up, the series has star potential.

17. Ally Oop says:

I’m enjoying both This is Us and No Tomorrow. Not surprising that No Tomorrow is getting abysmal ratings, the CW’s romantic comedies generally tank in the ratings. The CW is like two different networks; it has its 9 superhero/supernatural/dystopic shows and then 4 romantic comedies/period dramas. No Tomorrow should have been paired with something else. Both The Flash and Supernatural are CW’s highest percentage ratings for male viewers and No Tomorrow is a more female-aimed show.