american horror story roanoke season 6 episode 5 recap

American Horror Story: Roanoke Recap: House-Swarming Party

In the teasers for “Chapter 5” of American Horror Story: Roanoke, Matt informed us that “there was no way out” of the pickle in which he and Shelby had been left at the end of “Chapter 4.” But, since we’re nowhere near the end of Season 6, presumably, Wednesday’s episode couldn’t reduce them to, as Mrs. Miller put it, “nothing more than prey” to The Butcher & Co. So how did the couple escape from the mob on their doorstep? Read on and find out.

american horror story season 6 episode 5 recapPAST TENSE | As the episode began, historian Doris Kearns Goodwin flashed us back to the days of Dandy’s ancestor, Edward Philippe Mott (a bewigged Evan Peters) as he built to house his beloved artwork what would become the Millers’ home. No sooner had he moved in with his manservant/lover, Guinness, than supernatural shenanigans began to bedevil him. After brutally punishing his staff for the mischief, the aristocrat learned — in the most lethal way possible — that The Butcher and Ambrose were really to blame. (Side note No. 1: Before Edward was taken outside and killed, didn’t his bedroom bedlam bring to mind the ghoul who emerged from a mattress in Hotel? Side note No. 2: Shout-out to Dandy’s demise in 1952!)

american-horror-story-season-6-episode-5-recapFIGHT OR FLIGHT | Back in present day, The Butcher was offering the Millers “a merciful death” if they surrendered to her to re-consecrate the land. Rather than do so, Matt pleaded with Shelby to take Flora, run for the truck and go. Unfortunately, before they could get out, “you could feel the house coming alive around you,” as Shelby put it. Ghosts of all sorts “corralled us like animals,” said Matt, “for an easy slaughter.” However, when things looked bleakest, the trio were led to the relative safety of the woods through tunnels beneath the house by Edward, who noted that “the trophy misprized is to die in peace.” In no time, they’d been apprehended by the Polks, whose mama (Frances Conroy) had kept what was left of Elias alive. At least until she realized that he didn’t taste good. Turned out, the Polks had only wanted the Millers’ house “to keep it empty for The Butcher” as per an age-old agreement.

THE AXE FACTOR | Meanwhile, Lee was seething over Shelby having gotten her picked up for questioning in Mason’s murder. When she was finally released, she learned via texts from Matt that he had Flora. At the same time, the Millers managed to escape from the Polks before they could be driven back to their haunted house to be sacrificed to The Butcher. That is, they escaped briefly. Lot (Chaz Bono) soon retrieved them, setting the stage for his mom to whack Shelby’s ankle with an axe to ensure that they wouldn’t run again. At that point, “I gave up,” Matt admitted. For her part, Shelby reflected on all the things she wouldn’t get to do in her life — like, erm, open her own yoga studio. Returned to The Butcher, the Millers watched in horror as she prepared to slaughter Flora. Lee had just arrived on the scene when Ambrose rebelled against his mother, dragging her into the fire (burning up with her). Before Piggy Man could finish what The Butcher had begun, Lee rammed him with a car, and she, Matt, Shelby and Flora fled to a nearby hotel.

So, what did you think of “Chapter 5”? Excited to finally get some Cheyenne Jackson in “Chapter 6”? Hit the comments.

1. Evan says:

I thought the big twist was tonight :( that preview killed me! I have no clue what to expect but with all this hype, it better be good.

• It is recommended to you Watch american horror story season 6 full episode => VIOOZMOVIE.NET
      Here you see the film full HD quality
      Update 2016 film box office
      It supports all languages

2. steven says:

Did I miss something here? They found Flora already? They didn’t even act relieved that they found her.

3. Spence says:

That was… really bad. Like, a really poorly written episode. This really showed the largest flaws of this season..

4. Cc says:

So I’m confused ? Are they done with their story? Is this season going to still be about them? Or someone else ?

• Dez says:

I think this season will be short stories with different cast members, but all revolving around the land. Keeping the butcher, the family and fingers crossed… Evan Peters. Great season love everything

• LAwoman says:

The preview at the end of the episode seemed to indicate that the crew went to the property for footage. So the focus may now shift to that group of characters. All I know is that I was so happy to see Frances Conroy. I like this season much better than Hotel.

5. Tina says:

Hasn’t Cheyenne Jackson been off camera the whole time? The filmmaker interviewing the Millers sounds like him. My guess is that he’ll try to investigate the house for a follow-up documentary for the second part of the season, or they’ll recast entirely.

6. Cori says:

Evan Peters! Finally!!

I’m wondering if the big twist has to do with the handprint the ghost left on Flora. ?!

7. That sound you hear is the show sucking.

8. Simon says:

How are some of you confused!? I thought this was the best episode of the season. Naturally Evan Peters always makes an episode better.

9. Quinten says:

At least this season actually seems like it has a thought out story. It’s obvious they came up with a concept for the last three seasons but never knew what they were gonna do. It seems they actually know where they’re going this year, even if we the audience don’t. Much better than last season already. Excited to see the twist and where this season goes. The actors have been given some really great material and I’m really hoping we get to see the re-enactors actual characters. Like I want to see Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe in a scene together

10. Quinten says:

Im really happy it seems like they’ve actually had a plan for this season, unlike the last three seasons where it’s been obvious they’ve come up with a concept and just figured the story out as they went along. This season is different, and already better than last season. I’m excited for the twist next week. I really hope we get to see the re-enactors be actual characters, like I wanna see Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe in a scene together, that would be awesome. So far so good

11. Consuella says:

Gaga sux as an actor. She’s uglier than vow. Move on…..please…..

12. Yana says:

If you don’t understand obviously you weren’t paying attention. It was a well writen short story and I’m excited to see what else there is to come.
    Btw none of the shows scared me before I’m not easily scared but that grudge looking girl scared the ships out me!

• Thomas says:

Being logical and clear is not the same thing as being well written. Even in the course of this incredibly weak season, tonight’s episode was a total throwaway. It did very little to advance anything other than how they finally got away.

• Quinten says:

Completely agree. And btw them getting away is a huge plot advancement…? I’m just hoping the second half doesn’t throw away all the ground work they’ve laid. I hope we still get to explore the already introduced characters, maybe just in completely different ways.

13. Rich says:

So glad they didn’t disappoint me. I was half afraid I wasn’t going to see any blatant homosexuality in this show this season. Every show these days has to have homosexuality and interracial relationships that are predominantly black male/white female.

• Cheyenne says:

Why does that bother you so much! Would it bother you less if it was white male/black female?

• Quinten says:

And that’s a problem? You prefer to have just a white male and white female? Like is this a real comment? It’s called diversity. Well you certainly come off as a massive bigot.

• abz says:

You do realize, the creator of this show is Ryan Murphy who is also a gay man. He also created/directed Nip/Tuck, Glee, The New Normal, The Normal Heart, etc., ALL of which had many LGBT characters and dealt with LGBT issues. Get used to it. You don’t hear gay people constantly b*tching about all of the heterosexuality in each and every single TV show in existence. Homosexuality exists plain and simple and many gay people want to see LGBT character representations and stories being told on TV.
      Also what era do you think this is? Why shouldn’t they have an interracial relationship on the show? I’m not crazy about Cuba Gooding Jr. on the show, but that’s just because he’s a meh actor to me. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the casting people didn’t actively search for actors of specific racial backgrounds and that they know that Sarah Paulson is a great actress and that Ryan Murphy enjoyed working with Cuba Gooding Jr. on American Crime Story and probably thought the two of them would make good show leads for this season. Your comment is pathetic!

• Gina says:

I really think that a lot of people who are confused by the show this season don’t really understand what’s going on in general. This has been the least confusing season so far, at least for me. That said, I really enjoyed last nights episode and I was happy to see Evan Peters again.

• This season appears to be a straightforward story–with emphasis on “appears to be.” We’ve already been told by the creators that we aren’t watching what we think we are watching. We think we’ve been watching a Paranormal Witness episode, and the story line hasn’t been hard to follow. But that doesn’t mean we know what’s going on.

14. Lew William says:

Was terrible… Period.

15. Bris Aust says:

I enjoyed the return of a few familiar faces this episode. Looking forward to the rest of the series. Getting interesting more and more …… Bris Aust

16. Debbie says:

It looks like next week, they will be using a different approach that is often used with these supernatural shows by bringing in a psychic and having a seance during a 48 hour lock down inside the haunted house.

• Bris Aust says:

I think your going to be right . I have watched all this series from S1 and I expected a lot. This Season seems a little stuck for ideas and sometimes feels like a confused wondering mess, but I am hoping that the rest of this season makes me want to watch the next season . Still loving this Season , just seems a little tired. Bris Aust

17. CJ says:

Thinking somehow the filming crew will now be part of the story and they are the ones being haunted, killed by the spirits . The family will probably wind up staying at the Cortez hotel tying in last season,

18. Jenn Velasco-Cafagna says:

I thought the crew might end up being a show about debunking paranormal claims, like a modern day Houdini. Still a great ensemble cast that carries the show every season.

19. Maetta says:

Best show on tv ever scares me every week but i wouldn’t miss it each season gets better than the last keep up the good work

20. Tamara says: