Supergirl Spoilers

Supergirl EP Reveals James' Future as DC Comics' Guardian, Explains Why He and Kara Are 'Best as Friends'

As Supergirl‘s second season continues on The CW, Kara and James’ fractured relationship is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Following a press screening on Tuesday, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg revealed that Mehcad Brooks’ character is going to try his hand at crimefighting, adopting the persona of DC Comics’ shield-toting Guardian — and he’s not telling Kara. (Oops!)

“James is going to decide that he can no longer be a sidekick, so he’s going to become a vigilante,” Kreisberg explained. “He’s going to become Guardian, complete with the shield, which is going to cause a massive problem in his relationship with Kara because he decides not to tell her. There’s this new masked vigilante, and she has her own feelings about vigilantes. … And he’s recruited Winn to help him. Winn is his man in the van. Winn and James together is like comedy gold.”

As for why Kara ended things with James at the end of Monday’s season premiere, Kreisberg explained that the writers wanted to tell a relatable story, one in which a friendship becomes something more — even if it shouldn’t.

“We sort of felt like we were pursuing that relationship more because we felt like we had to than any of us was really truly feeling it,” he told reporters. “We realized the best scenes between them were the nice, sweet scenes where they were being friends.”

Kara and James will remain a part of each other’s lives, so it’s anyone’s guess how their relationship might change in the future. But with this Guardian drama on the horizon, I wouldn’t hold my breath for a second date.

Your thoughts on Kara and James’ sudden split? James’ future as Guardian? Drop ’em in a comment below.

Reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. I was so hoping Diggle would but I have no issue with Jimmy become the Guardian I mean in today world it hard to take him as a photographer anyways

• Preacher Book says:

Ouch !! Say all the professional photographers reading your comment.

• Jim says:

In the old Superman comics, like from the Silver Age, you wouldn’t believe what happened to Jimmy. Like everything happened to Jimmy at one point or another. Guy had the craziest life in the DC universe, and that’s really saying something. So, sure. “Jimmy Becomes the Guardian!” is something that could happen I guess. For a little while. But if it’s going to be a permanent thing that might start to feel a bit too much out of character. I do understand that it feels like a bit of a waste to have Mehcad Brooks, a really tall and buff dude, and not have him punching anything on a superhero show, though, so I get it.

• Eric says:

The fact that the actor playing Jimmy Olsen is tall and buff is a problem for me. I like Brooks but he is miscast. Jimmy should be an Everyman character Brooks is an Adonis, so it is hard to root for him romantically or otherwise. Heck he is taller and more buff than Superman. WIsh they could use flashpoint to change him into Pete Ross or somebody.

• Carlos Benitez says:

Jim Harper is suppose to be guardian not james olsen

• You saying this is like when he became a woman, a big headed person, a giant reptilian man, and stuff like that?

2. Sam says:

I hope they stay friends and the show continues being great!!!

3. Mark says:

Kara and James had no Chemistry at all. It felt extremely forced. So I’m glad it’s over.

• Patrick says:

As he said, the platonic chemistry was out of this world. They were great when they weren’t forcing the romance stuff.

• He was like family. Like her big brother’s best friend that has been around for years and she feels comfortable around.

I was confused they tried to do a Jimmy Olsen romance. Its not supported by the comics. Her regular Joe Boyfriend was Dick Malverne who has a cameo in a Season one flashback. Kara was known for her weird boyfriends, like the Merboy and the centaur. But her main love interest for decades has been Brainiac 5. She’s an alien, she has an alien boyfriend. I guess they thought that may have been a bit much for regular audiences but they story has heaps of potential.

• Jason says:

This is like Oliver and Laurel season one of Arrow all over again. You wrote something that didn’t go over well and instead of doing your job and fixing it you just toss it in season two and act like it never happened. Honestly I could have taken them breaking up but what they did was not honoring the story they made in season one. its frustrating to watch again.

• Daphne says:

Hey, if we’re going with the Arrow metaphor, Kara and James are the Oliver and Laurel and Winn is Felicity (adorkable little nerdish who likes the hero from a distance)! Melissa Benoist has way more cute chemistry with Jeremy Jordan! Although, on the chemistry chart, she has yet to beat what she had with Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen/The Flash (even though I really like him with Iris on his own show). So maybe we just haven’t met Kara’s big love interest yet? Let’s see how this plays out. But I think most of us will agree that the chemistry just wasn’t there between Kara and James and that relationship felt forced last season (and it could have been handled better in the season 2 opener)…

• Jason says:

Fans don’t seem to get it “chemistry” is a well writen story between actors, and plot. Two actors can hate each other and have “chemistry” is the story is there. If James/kara did not connect the way you wanted it to. Do your job and write it better don’t throw it out becasue the entire season one was rocky. Thats what has me upset as a fan and writer. Do your job

• Tamara says:

I agree. Patrick S. and Jennifer G in Dirty Dancing is a perfect example of good writing that created chemistry. At the time, those two actors hated each other. But their chemistry was amazing bc of the story. Same with the lead actors of Nicholas Sparks Notebook.
            Although I also understand when actors are able to create that special spark that makes the romance believable

• KatsMom says:

Jason — Yes. Spot on. I agree I felt the same way about this. It’s like they were reading comments online over the summer and decided they needed to reboot because a few vocal people weren’t feeling Kara and James. Just like you said though, I think there were times when the chemistry between them was palpable because the writing (and directing) were good. Other times? They rushed things and had some cheesy writing that dragged them down. I don’t think they did themselves any service by having Kara turn into the biggest flake ever and 10 seconds after being really excited about kissing James, she’s like, “Whoops…not feeling it…my bad.” It really wouldn’t have killed them to have them go on a couple of dates and realize that the relationship wasn’t going to work. It’s not unusual when friends try to take things to a different level. Have them realize that things were instantly serious because they knew each other so well, but neither of them were ready for that. Something…other than, “I loved you yesterday, but today, not so much.”

• Dude says:

Im afraid with Berlanti already saying a “significant” character is going to explore their sexuality that is going to be Kara. I can deal with Winn, Alex, even james but you can’t make super girl gay

• ash says:

Why can’t they?

• Dude says:

The same reason why you can’t make arrow, flash or superman gay. They never were and it doesn’t make sense to make then gay now!

• Becca says:

So you’re fine with interspecies relationships (Kryptonian and a human), but god forbid those species both identify as female? Yeah I’m calling bull

• Dude says:

I could care less what you call it. Super girl has been in several interspecies relationships before both cartoons and comics but she has never been in her history a lesbian. I don’t think there is anything bull about me wanting that too stay the same. Some creator can make another really popular super female and make her a lesbian if they want. But leave super girl alone

• KatsMom says:

It’s not going to be Kara. It’ll be Alex. If they’re going to explore sexuality, check the roster for the workaholic with no social life first.

• roxanne says:

I agree

• There is a key difference. Oliver and Laurel/Dinah are canonical love interests, they should have moved heaven and earth to fix it. Kara and Jimmy are not a comic thing. Its something they smushed together and hoped it would work but it didn’t.

• Dea K. says:

Couldn’t agree more!! So glad we are moving on from this!

• Many people are glad they finally realised that their romance was never meant to be.

4. Danielle Roberts says:

I thought it was strange they built the relationship all last season just to drop it in a short and seemingly insignificant scene. It could’ve played out much better.

• Jared S says:

I agree. I was never able to get into this relationship. I tried, since they were pushing it so hard. But this just felt too rushed. They should’ve played it out over the first two eps since it’s kind of like a two parter. Or at the very least have an actual conversation about it, not just the whole I like you but not like that and then done.

5. LK says:

Thats the right move.. They never worked as anything more than friends… Not sure i buy him becoming a vigilante without telling her though… will see how it plays out.

6. Wordsmith says:

Yeah, I’m totally fine with the “just friends” choice. The only scene where I felt like they had a memorable spark was in the pilot where they meet for the very first time. Since then, it’s all felt pretty obligatory.

7. Kara says:

While I gradually lost interest in the pairing as season 1 progressed, I feel like the writers handled the abandonment of this relationship poorly. I can totally see Kara making the decision she does, but it was sort of clumsily written – almost as an afterthought? Something you pumped up THAT MUCH should warrant a little more than what they came up wrote.

Having said that, I’m glad they won’t be focusing on them right now. I enjoy the team relationships more than any romantic ones at the moment.

8. Emily says:

i thought james and kara had a lot of chemistry in the beginning. but then i started to lose interest. idk, the romantic scenes felt flat to me. maybe they just weren’t written well enough. but i don’t like the way the writers handled things. james and kara should have slowly realized they should be just friends. it shouldn’t have happened in one episode, especially the first episode back.

9. Eran says:

I don’t mind them going off the romantic route but honestly, I was tying up shoelaces at four years old with more skill and attention than the way this once-major plot line was tied up. Even when you want to kill off a plot that’s not working for you, be a professional about it – use it as a segue into another major story.

10. Asia says:

I wasn’t even all that invested in Kara/James but I still call shoddy writing on this. All that build up for nothing.

11. Cyn says:

Thank goodness! Those two have I chemistry whatsoever.

12. LKE says:

This feels like network politics. CBS was in favor of the relationship, but CW has a different strategy for the characters.

13. Jason says:

What tone deaf thing to say. Another black best friend in a CW TV show and that didin’t even honor the relationship they set out in season one. Thats such bad writing. If they have issues fix them don’t dismiss it in the lazy way they did

14. Carla Krae says:

The split would be more believable if they’d gone on a date and realized this doesn’t really work when they try it out. Because Kara getting cold feet just hours later and deciding to remain friends? What? Hours. Not days or weeks. Hours.

15. Joey Padron says:

Awesome he’ll become a hero in new season. It’s better he and Kara stay just as friends, they didn’t work as a couple.

16. Diggory says:

I think its great how after Laurel, Iris, season 3 Felicity and the Hawks , the flarrow writers finally learned they can’t write love stories very well

17. clintbrew says:

i thought they were setting up eddie mcclintock has the guardian unless he E-1 Guardian which would be cooler cus hes roy harper uncle also supergirl gotta get over her feeling about vigilantes cus she teaming up with some soon

18. ALM says:

I confess that I am a bit surprised that people are complaining about the “relationship” ending so quickly. The chemistry was so bad that was the realistic way to end it…quickly and abruptly. To me, I think this would be a great opportunity to send Jimmy back to Metropolis when Superman returns. I think the big problem with the character is the way the entire role has been written from episode 1.

19. Glenda Bacon says:

Why is that HOT POC on CW is always just a friend?! James is the ALPHA male on that show and he isnt dating?! That is unbelievable!!!!! I guess when they introduce the Martian Girl..who is played by a Black Woman….then we will see some tyrp a love triangle between minorities and then a boring bland Vanilla coupling……….

20. Charissa29 says:

Sounds like Supergirl will no longer be the protagonist in her eponymously named show!

21. It took Lois and Clark 3 years on The New Adventures of Superman and 5 on Smallville to go together, give Jimmy and Kara at least 3 before you start to judge.

22. ScottJ says:

Strangely enough not every character in a TV show needs to be dating to be interesting. Kara doesn’t need a love interest, although I have a vague concern they might go that way with Mon El. But I can’t see how he could work as a series regular unless the shows de-powers him very rapidly. I’d far rather Adam Foster comes back anyway.

23. minie says:

hell no please..if we add nother vigilante in Supergirl show,it will separate the story,geez…

24. Carrie says:

I was disappointed that they ended the romantic relationship that way. I like them as friends, but it was weird that they seemed so in love with each other last season, only to end it before it even began in the Season 2 premiere. He kinda seems like the perfect guy for her. He knows her secrets and isn’t intimidated by her. Oh, well. I hope they’ll get together later on in the series.

25. I’ᴠe recently started a blog, the infоrmatіon you provide
    oon this website has һelped mee tremendously. Thank you for all of
    yoᥙr time & work. “If you see a snake, just kill it. Don’t appoint a committee on snakes.” by H.
    Rosѕ Perot.

26. Luli says:

Happy that they are done. Not a fan of the character or his relationship with Kara. But it did seem so out of te blue to break them off after one epidode with all the build up they had last season.

27. Lee says:

Personally I really liked James and Lucy. Also I totally love the humor with Winn and James. I agree that sometimes the romantic subplots of a lot of the characters felt a tad ‘forced’ for me. I like a slow grow personally. I’m excited to see where the show goes from here. Hopefully it’ll get it’s footing on the new station and iron out any kinks from season 1

28. Carlos Benitez says:

James olsen was never suppose to be guardian that is jim harper alter ego name

29. RB says:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m sensing the ugly “Ism” in the WB/DC universe.
    All of a sudden Kara’s not into James and also the PAINFULLY SLOW development of Barry and Iris on the Flash. But overnight Kara and Barry will be an item…Really? I think that the Execs at the WB have decided that it is not “Good Marketing” to have Americas sweethearts Supergirl and The Flash both in committed relationships with African Americans. We all got to enjoy watching the story arc of Oliver and Felicity, so why not the so why not Kara/James and Barry/Iris…Hmmm? (I won’t even mention Wally and Jessie). I wouldn’t care if they dated and broke up, but we didn’t even get to see either couple explore their relationships on camera. Come on, it’s almost 2017…I’m a little disappointed. :(

30. Gene says:

I think the writers did James wrong. They moved him from a relationship “supported by the comics” [Lucy Lane] to one which isn’t [Kara]. Then they move him to being a friend. Too cold!

31. If “James Olsen” becomes the Guardian, then “James Olsen” IS NOT his REAL name. It COULD actually be “Malcolm Duncan”.

32. lydiasarver says:

I honestly don’t understand how you can build this potential relationship up to then just toss it out before trying it out completely. Unlike others that have commented I saw a lot of potential for them, but it needed to be a slow burn not a quick flame to blow out. I’m not sure where they’re going with Kara and her love life but I think James was her best shot at normalcy as her and Winn were definitely better off friends. Eh shoot me down or crucify me but that’s my thoughts.

33. diaskeaus says:

Episode 3 made me really uncomfortable. It wasn’t fun TV. I just want to see Kara kick butt, take names, and I don’t want to be constantly reminded about the problems I see every time I read or watch the latest presidential debate.

34. And I’m done with Supergirl. I’m so sick of bad writing – TV is in dire need of new writers who understands how TV and fandom work.

35. Alfred Montgomery says:

I for one truly enjoy the romance between Kara and James. Scenes from season 1 with them obviously enamored with each other, but afraid to act on it were very well done. To have it just squashed in 1 episode of season 2 makes no sense at all, and the way it was done was very disrespectful to the James character, he can’t even be seen to be upset about it, I mean really!!!. I do agree it seems that the Supergirl staff was concerned about loud voices complaining about a black James Olsen, but when he became Kara’s romantic interest the roof blew off and people became rabid. The building of that relationship and surrounding relationships was what I enjoyed most about the show. Now it seems to have lost a certain feeling on the show as well as my feelings that they seemed to have buckled to outside forces even after starting with something pure. Will try to stick with the show, but if the latest episodes are an indication of how this will go, doubt I’ll be watching.

36. Kristina says:

Seems like I’m in the minority but I’m really disappointed they went the “just friends” route with James and Kara. I really liked them together. They’re great as friends, but I guess I was seeing something different than other people were, cause I thought there was plenty of chemistry but I do agree the writing didn’t do any favors. And it kinda stinks they broke him and Lucy up in favor of a relationship that crashed and burned before it even started :(

• Rex says:

I agree with Kristina. I really like James and Kara. The writers didn’t give it a chance. I am as frustrated and disappointed with Supergirl this year as I am with Arrow. In both shows they had a chance to show that heroes could be in a healthy relationship and still live out their call to make a difference in the world. I used to get up early on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to watch Supergirl and Arrow before I went to work. Now, they are the last shows I watch and I’m even a couple of weeks behind. If they don’t put Felicity and Oliver back together by Christmas, I’m dropping Arrow. I’m willing to give Kara and James a bit more time but not a whole season.

37. Matty says:

To be honest I thought Jimmy was one of the weakest characters in series 1. Seeing how just about everyone else was super or genius I could understand him trying to prove something. As for the Supergirl romance thing I think it should take more of a back seat, or the series risks becoming a gender swap Lois and Clark series clone.

38. Lynn Barker says:

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE KARA WITH THE NEW GUY THAT LIKES HER, AND IS HER PARTNER IN CRIME TOGETHER.

I THINK SHE CAN SETTLE HIM DOWN, I HOPE SHE FALLS FOR HIM

LYNN

39. It is not fair that the flash and Iris have a relationship, but not James and Kara. It is ok for white men to bed black girls, but not for black men to bed white girls. Racism still persists!

• Andy says:

Exactly Jaqueline! FINALLY someone pointed out the huge Elephant in the living room. Even in 2017, Hollywood still can’t show and Black Man with a White Woman. If they do, they get broken up for ridiculous reasons, or one of them dies.

I know for a fact, White Male Supremacists had a HUGE PROBLEM with James and Kara being paired up. The Racist websites “Stormfront” and “DailyStormer” were up in arms screaming about “White Genocide” they same garbage that happened in Star Wars and the reason why Rey and Finn did not book up. Though you are right EVERYWHERE you look on TV and movies, it’s a Black Women/White Men couples…Heck White Men with ALL RACES and for some reason, that is respected. B.S. I for one stopped and will never watch SuperGirl because of this and now I believe, they are already pairing her up with a WHITE Guy who looks like you usually frat boy Justin Bieber type Mon El. Double Standards here in America are disgusting.

• Clemente Catts says:

Yes, because if a White man don’t conquer it no one else is supposed to. You can’t put a Black man and a White woman together and think it will fly because anything other than white males won’t fly! Christopher Columbus, discovered America,because the natives who was already here didn’t count as humans!

40. Woodrow Goff says:

I want supergirl & James to have a relationship. After l saw them kissing.You could see that thay happily to be with each other!!

41. Charles Jackson says:

I’m confused in season one you give James a girlfriend but he has feelings for supergirl and she has feelings for him then she tells him that she just want to concentrate on doing what supergirl do next thing you know here comes the new guy and what she told James just went out the window