Chicago Fire Recap

Chicago Fire Recap: Horror Story

Chicago Fire‘s Season 5 premiere had all the trademarks of a horror movie: an unhinged ex who lurks in a dark alley, ominous mood music and a bloody conclusion.

There’s a definite air of crazy surrounding Stella’s former husband Grant during Tuesday night’s episode. Still, she tries to play off the potential threat as no big deal, even though she has proof that Grant was secretly in her apartment. She doesn’t know for sure when he was there, but we do: while she and Severide were in bed together. Shudder.

Chicago Fire Spoilers“He wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Stella insists. Maybe not, but he does try to hurt her, physically and verbally, behind Molly’s. Severide walks in on the scene and lunges at Grant, slashing the other man’s throat, possibly fatally. Let’s hope this doesn’t turn into a prolonged legal battle for Severide, although that would be a good way to tie in to Chicago Justice.

Meanwhile, Dawson is having doubts about being a foster mom and firefighter even though she has support now. She and Casey are really committed to each other, and he’s smitten with Louie, too. He even tells Susan Weller that he’s not interested in pursuing a political career because he wants to concentrate on being a firefighter — “among other things.”

But with the good comes the bad: Dawson is worried that Louie will once again be left an orphan if both of his parents are running into burning buildings. She asks Boden to be assigned to ambulance until the drama with Jimmy blows over, which might actually be never after his latest outburst.

Chicago Fire Spoilers“You got my brother killed! I’m going to have your badge for that!” Jimmy exclaims in front of the entire firehouse after Boden denies his request to be back on truck. His insubordinate behavior gets Jimmy suspended — but not for long. The higher-ups inform Boden that the youngster is going to be reassigned to truck while a full investigation is launched into the brother’s death. Looking for some stability amidst all the chaos, the chief asks Dawson to stay on ambo, and she can barely contain her smile.

Other highlights from the season opener:

* Severide sweetly offers to move out so Casey, Dawson and Louie can have the apartment. Not as sweet? His “I’m not great at monogamy” response when Stella says he can stay with her until he finds a place. Cruz sums it up best with, “I’ve seen a lot of highway accidents less horrific than how you just handled that.”

* Antonio is awestruck while watching Brett save a life. She, too, is awestruck – by his muscles. “He’s in really good shape,” she observes to his sister. Gabby’s puzzled face as her brother and friend awkwardly flirt at Molly’s is the best.

* Brett figures out Mouch is behind some rather steamy firehouse-set fiction posted online. (The character names — Lawson, Jay, Manimal — gave him away.) Rather than outing him as the author, she suggests that his works need a female voice. As a lover of trashy romance novels, she proposes they write together and get published.

Fire fans, what did you think of the premiere? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Liz says:

Great way to start the season. Can’t wait until next season.

• ameraleigh says:

I thought the episode was one of the series weaker ones, the entire time I was watching, I couldn’t help but think, gees welcome back to the Gabby Show. The show is in need of some fresh new story-lines and ones that don’t eventually tie in to whatever Gabby is doing.

• wrstlgirl says:

I actually felt like they spread the love around more in this ep. Granted Gabby and her constant whining are the least of my favorite parts of this show, I mean even when she has what she wants she always finds something to whine about, and, of course, everyone in her world has to grovel for her. That aside, I’m really looking forward to Severides story and Brett/Antonio are cute as hell. Just let Gabs have her own life please. There’s absolutely no reason to have her in the middle of those two.

• Erin says:

Me too, felt they spread it around more evenly this episode too. And I didn’t even mind Stella who I have been a bit apprehensive about (I have loved every other character from the get go but she was super abrasive from the beginning).

Wasn’t one of their best episodes but the cliffhanger has set it up big time and the various storylines entertained.

• wrstlgirl says:

I meant to add to my comment and forgot, maybe it was just me but Louie doesn’t seem to like Casey much. Even when Casey spoke words of encouragement to him Louie didn’t even acknowledge that he was even there. It seemed really awkward.

• Charlotte says:

Yes! I’m not sure I want another longgggg season of the Gabby Show. They’re ruining this once GREAT show with every single episode about her. As for Stella, please get rid of her. I used to plan my Tuesday’s around this show. I’ll give it 2 more episodes and if it’s still the Gabby show, I’m done. Next show please, actually I’d probably watch a rerun of anything instead of the Gabby Show

• mag says:

I didn’t watch last night. Felt like it was going to be another Gabby story line. Watched NCIS New Orleans instead.

• Sally McLinn says:

As always, Good episode

2. Wonderful article! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our site.
    Keep up the great writing.

3. amurp says:

I’m so glad Dawson is back working on the ambulance I liked her so much better when she was a paramedic. And that Jimmy person can just go away and then bring Mills back to replace him.

• Jim says:

Least believable firefighter ever. But I can’t believe they leaned it into so hard for so many seasons only to finally admit it doesn’t work.

• MzTeaze says:

I was hoping Jimmy would disappear with Laura and Eddie Winslow’s little sister (Family Matters). She went upstairs in one episode and just disappeared, never to be seen or spoken of again. His character is boring and adds nothing to the show.

4. Sara says:

It would be great if Boden actually got in trouble for once for his blatant favoritism. There was the thing with Chili last year (which he TOTALLY mishandled considering the way he turned a blind eye to Severide’s substance abuse issues) and now there’s this thing with Jimmy. If you aren’t one of his chosen few, expect to be dropped for insubordination and have your career trashed.

• Shaun says:

Chili and Jimmy are brand new practically.The others been there for years.

• Jess says:

ummm excuse me but Boden had every right to fire him….you don’t call out your boss like that and not expect to be fired….and as for Jimmy’s brother, that was a horrible accident and there was no way he could have been saved without someone else dying. so get off your high horse…and he gave Severide hell to for the substance abuse. chilli was a hot mess and even she eventually saw the error of her ways.

• Sara says:

If Gabby was the one with Chili’s problems, Boden would have protected her and would have gotten her help. He talks a big game about how the station is family, but he only means his chosen few. As for with Jimmy, his brother is dead, just like with Chili’s sister. Cut them some slack to allow them time to grieve. This is the Chili situation all over again and sorry, but Boden is looking like an inconsistant jerk to me. Boden just seems to not like giving new people a chance in his house and that is problematic for someone in his position.

• Vanessa says:

Chili wasn’t just coming in hungover or tired she was drinking ON the job. She was drunk ON the job. She was caught by a lieutenant going to her car to drink/get more booze while ON the job. The job which revolves around saving people’s lives and requires a clear head. He didn’t mishandle it at all, if anything Boden was too nice in the situation and should have been far more harsh.

Jimmy also is completely out of line. The idea that Boden is wrong for calling out/writing up an insubordinate employee who disrespects him blatantly in front of half the house AND accuses him publicly of getting another firefighter killed AND publicly states he’s coming for his badge is ridiculous.

5. Wordsmith says:

Brett and Antonio make a good pairing, but you’re right – probably the best bits of that subplot were Dawson’s creeped-out reaction shots.

6. LMHARMON says:

Unfortunatlyy I missed the premire but love this show!Hope to see it on line. The read through seemed good but wasn’t sure about the Gabby issue.

7. sunshine says:

I don’t have it in me to watch another Dawson show, I’ll give it a couple episodes to see if they can get the camera off her but I don’t have high hopes. I don’t understand how they can’t see she is the worst part of the show and fans dislike her immensely.

8. Zainab says:

LOVED THIS EPISODE
    *Dawsey going strong😁😁
    *Firehouse fanfiction lol 😂😂
    *Open to the idea of Brett&Antonio
    *Hopefully Stella’s ex isn’t dead
    *Really want this Jimmy/Boden drama to end real fast
    *Really Really HATE this thing going on between Kidd/Severide just STOP. When he said he wasn’t into monogamy I was so happy this relationship is hopefully going to crash and burn
    **Honestly the only person I want Severide to end up with is Brett even though there’s a very slim chance of that ever happening

• Dbra says:

I so agree. Severide is the reason I watch this show. The only person I liked him with was his best friend and the possibility of Brett. Can’t stand STella. He diserves better.

9. Chloe says:

I’m fine with the idea of Brett & Antonio but the way they “introduced” the idea seemed a little heavy-handed. He suddenly looks at her & is in awe & she’s suddenly taken by his physique, as though neither of them had ever laid eyes on each other before. I would have liked it to start a little more slowly.

And, yes, in spite of the other storylines, it was still too much the Gabby Show.

• Lily says:

I think the pace of their romance is fine. Antonio just smiled at her on the ambo and she just commented on how good he is looking in passing to his sister – not like they were going at it. I think they are cute together.

10. Ruby says:

Enjoyed it but the cliffhanger from last season was overhyped. He just left the apartment with the knife? . . .ok
    Love the Antonio/Brett pairing – so cute together.
    Don’t get all the Gabby hate from women. I thought all of the cast had a good share of the screen time it was not all about her. But there are fans who love her character and those fans add to the ratings of the show. I am beginning to think she could only have five lines and some would say she is hogging the spotlight. Guess you see what you want to see. . .lol

• wrstlgirl says:

it’s funny that you add “from women” to your Gabby comment. My bf leaves the room when Gabby comes onscreen, lmao!!!

11. Watching it right now, its kind of weird