Exclusive

The Middle Premiere Sneak Peek: Axl's New Girlfriend Dumbfounds the Hecks

Axl’s new squeeze is going to have Frankie longing for the days of Morgan Edwards.

In TVLine’s exclusive clip from The Middle‘s Season 8 premiere (Tuesday, 8/7c), the Hecks meet April (Awkward‘s Greer Grammer), who could definitely benefit from taking a public speaking class — or perhaps by going back to kindergarten and starting over from there.

Simply put, April is… kind of an idiot. I mean, she’s lovely and charming and seems to make Axl very happy — but you can practically hear the wind whistling through her ears as she tries to form intelligible sentences.

Hit PLAY on the video above to meet April for yourselves, then drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. N says:

She’s fine for Axl

2. Jen says:

It’s like I’m watching an awkward X the middle crossover. Her character is exactly the same.

3. Marie says:

LOVE The Middle!

• Ann Froewiss says:

I agree Relaxing show, w/o hearing profanity and shootings,It’s nice to know programming can be done w/o it. .It sounds corny, but a TV script w/o profanity is hard to find today. Family TV productions are needed to keep us in the same room.

4. Jenn says:

@jen totally agree with you! I love awkward and you’re right it is as if I’m watching an awkward crossover. Her character’s exactly the same.

5. Lisa Echerd says:

Ugh! This seems like an especially annoying character. I liked Axl’s last girlfriend much better.

6. This makes absolutely no sense. He dated Cassidy and said that her being smart and deep made him want to be a more substantial person. And while Devon Levin was not a great student, she was smart and quick and that is what Axl found attractive. Early on, he was disgusted by his manager at the movie theater who was beautiful but stupid. This really is out of character and ruins his arc. I am irritated

7. Kar says:

Love, love, love The Middle. Best show on tv!!!

• Carlos says:

It’s my favorite network comedy (I also love HBO’s Veep). The Middle is funny but also has heart and the main actors are all very good.

8. Paula says:

April needs to go (and she can take Jeremy with her)! Axl should be with Ashley and Sue with Darrin. I miss both of those characters so much! April is just annoyingly dumb and Jeremy is a pretentious buffoon.

9. Bring back Darrin!!!!!! I can’t stand Jeremy ( he reminds me of some of the college pseudo intellectuals I met in school!). Axel’s girlfriend was a disappointment but I will ride this out to see how it improves. Jeremey needs to get written off. Maybe this could make Mike realize how much he does like Darrin and we can get Darrin back!!!!

10. Lori Alderman says:

I don’t like the April character on the Middle. It was funny to see her on the Premiere, but I don’t think I can take a whole season of her. Too stupid. Who came up with this idea? Ugh

11. mah says:

April reminds me of Yvette Mimieux in the old movie Light in the Piazza. Maybe she will end up with Brick.

• Paula says:

I must have watched that movie two dozen times while growing up thanks to a local channel’s seeming obsession with it. So thanks for the memories! But how dare you attempt to foist April on Brick… you know he and Cindy MUST be endgame! I always look forward to the Hecks celebrating Halloween but April’s presence ruined it for me this year.

• mah says:

I just thought that if April was like Yvette, Brick would be the most understanding and kind. But I see your point about Cindy. Thanks.

12. Dee says:

I just saw the Thanksgiving episode & April is worse than Axl was at the beginning of the series. Jeremy was awful, and Frankie is not that likeable either. If they don’t get rid of April, I think I will have to give up on this show. She is the poster dumb blonde.

13. Barbie says:

They are officially jumping the shark with April. Next she’ll be expecting. she’s terrible for the show. They’re trying to save it with a baby?!?!? Doesn’t help most shows. At least give Axl a girlfriend we can embrace. One less tv show for me to watch.☹️

14. Al says:

April is Awesome! She is my favorite month!!