Exclusive
Sleepy Hollow Tom Mison Season 4 Spoilers

Sleepy Hollow Season 4: Tom Mison on That Porch Scene, Crane's New Partner and Life After Abbie

When Sleepy Hollow debuted four seasons ago, Ichabod Crane was a time-transplanted Colonial Army captain with an eidetic memory, a yen for donut holes and a keen ability to apply historical wisdom to modern supernatural snafus.

But over time, series star Tom Mison notes, the peculiar genius was as likely to save the day as he was to be moved to the brink of tears by bespoke emoji while hopped up on dental anesthesia.

“What really worked with him in the first season was that he thought he was the smartest person in the room, and most of the time, he was,” Mison tells TVLine in an exclusive one-on-one interview ahead of the show’s New York Comic Con panel Sunday. “Whereas then he became a bit more of a buffoon.”

But Abbie’s death in the Season 3 finale, as well as a subsequent move to Washington, D.C., and a new gig for the surviving biblically foretold Witness, are the kind of things that sober a guy. So when we meet up again with Ichabod in the Fox drama’s upcoming fourth season, which premieres in early 2017, he’s “in a new place, with new people. That puts him more on guard,” the actor adds. “There’s a little less buffoonery, which I’m very, very pleased with. Because it doesn’t do any favors for Ichabod — or Tom.”

In a candid chat, Mison gives us the lowdown on Ichabod’s new partner Diana (played by True Blood alum Janina Gavankar) as well as some insight into his final days working alongside former co-star Nicole Beharie. starting with the Witness’ emotional farewell in the Season 3 finale.

Sleepy Hollow Season 4 SPoilers Tom MisonTVLINE | Ichabod and Abbie’s good-bye on the porch swing was a pretty monumental scene. What do you remember about shooting it?
I remember Nicole and I talking mainly about how cold it was [outside] [Laughs] We were very aware. It’s difficult not to be aware of how good a thing we had. I mean, there’s no disputing it. The characters were terrific together. And I think we worked really, really well together.

[The porch scene] wasn’t the last thing we shot together. You know, before the porch scene, there’s a bit in the archives where she takes me into the porch? That was the very last scene we shot together. That was strange. We’d both worked terribly hard to find this relationship, and we knew we had each other’s backs. When there were tough days, or when there were scripts that were very difficult to read — let alone perform — we’d help each other through it. And so, yes, it was peculiar knowing that would come to an end. But then also, I… didn’t know that there would be another season.

TVLINE | Nobody knew there’d be another season.
So as much as [it was] the end of Ichabod and Abbie, I thought it’d be the end of the show.

TVLINE | When we pick up in Season 4, how different is Ichabod from the man we last saw in Season 3? How has Abbie’s death and this new take on his mission changed him, if they have changed him?
There are a lot of similarities. You don’t suddenly see him wallowing and pining and tearing his hair out and howling “Abbie!” at the moon. Because that’s not really his manner. Lyndie [Greenwood] and I were talking earlier about [how] it makes Ichabod and Jenny far more driven now, because… [it’s] for Abbie, rather than despite Abbie’s death.

TVLINE | You’ve had to perform a lot of exposition in the first three seasons. This season, we meet Alex and Jake, who work alongside Ichabod in this new, secret government group. It seems like there’s the opportunity for them to maybe take on some of that.
Oh my God, I can’t tell you how grateful I was when I saw that. Jake is a fanboy, and Jake is so eager to show Ichabod that he can fight alongside him, that [portrayer] Jerry MacKinnon gets to do some of the exposition. So mercifully, there’s a little less for me. Don’t worry, I still get to exclaim at people rather than talk with them. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Talk to me about Diana. We see their first interaction in [the sizzle reel that aired before the show’s New York Comic Con panel], but it’s unclear… there’s a lot of shooting and yelling and things like that.
It’s Sleepy Hollow, after all. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Exactly. How do they get on, immediately? Is it an antagonistic relationship at all?
Yeah. She has just lost her partner, and doesn’t believe in the supernatural world, and is thrust into it with a man from 250 years ago. That might sound a little familiar from maybe three years ago. So she, having lost her partner, and Ichabod loses his… there is a hole that needs to be filled, whether they will admit it or not. Janina and I seem to have found something quite nice, where we don’t want to fall straight into each other’s arms and be partners. And hopefully — I haven’t seen any episodes yet — but hopefully, that reads.

Are you looking forward to Sleepy Hollow‘s new season? Sound off in the comments!

1. CourtTV says:

Okay, maybe there was a course correction after all. Sounds like it could be entertaining again after such a bad third season. I remain hopeful.

2. Taylor says:

Tom gets that this show worked because of his amazing partnership with Nicole. They were the greatest duo I’ve seen on TV in ages. The downfall of this show still makes me sad.

• bobbie says:

I actually didn’t like the character Abbie, over the years she just seemed to get more angry, don’t know if that was the writing, directing or actress.

Looking forward to the new season and hope we get more Jenny.

• preta4 says:

Taylor, I feel the exact same way and suspect that those who “did not like or care for Nicole”, will NOT feel that way about this new woman (don’t believe me? Keep watching and you’ll see what I’m talking about, but hope I’m wrong.).

3. Matt C. says:

He doesn’t seem enthusiastic about this season at all. I can’t believe how far downhill this show has fallen since that amazing first season.

• Alichat says:

I thought he seemed enthusiastic during the panel. He definitely doesn’t have the same chemistry and short-hand with Janina as he did with Nicole, but their working relationship is new so I expected that. But he seemed excited about the new season. I’m hoping it goes well because I like Tom and Lyndie’s characters.

• preta4 says:

Matt C., it’s called faking it (?) in spite of your circumstances, for those of you hanging on, they’re really gonna have to bring it, and I “knew” Fox would up the show ti January.

4. Rose says:

I just wanted to know why all of a sudden Abbie is gone when it looks like they would be closer than close? I’m waiting to see how fast Ichabod is romantically linked to this Diana! Just saying and you know what I’m insinuating!😕😕😒

5. preta4 says:

Moved on already, will NEVER EVER be the same for me and MANY others, NOT looking backwards as some “chemistry” can NOT be improved upon. I wish them well but can’t wait to see where Nicole ends up next.

6. I was planning to watch but the time away has changed my mind. Ichabod and Abbie were the attraction. I don’t care about him alone or this new Diana. Good luck to anyone else wishing to give it a try but I’m done with Sleepy Hollow.

• Eliza says:

Agreed. I loved watching the witnesses together. I’m not even sure I would have watched a show with just Abbie had they killed Crane off. The show worked because of Abbie and Cranes partnership.

7. Mantra720 says:

There’s only four purposes to this season; spackle between “Hell’s Kitchen” seasons, racking up a state tax credit, house down payments for the actors just going through the motions, and to delude future Netflix viewers that there’s more episodes. Otherwise, I don’t care. You shove off one of your leads the way you did Nicole Benharie, and all the respect I have is lost for your show. Good luck having the same amount of viewers as my local theater company gets for their “My Fair Lady” revival.

• Eliza says:

They should be greatful American Idol ended. That’s literally what saved them: needing something to fill those empty American Idol hours.

8. Jake says:

I literally use to rush home from classes to watch sleepy hollow because of Nicole and Tom. This just does not feel right. I can’t watch it because it’s not the same. As a writer myself it made absolutely no sense to kill Abby and say she did all that she was meant to do? For who?? Not the fans Abby had so much more to give but the actress clearly was not treated well at all by the new show runners. I’ve already prepared myself after the finale to rewatch s1-3 and leave s4 for others to enjoy because I’d watch and get mad that Abby was not there and that “Diane” was being forced down our throats.

• Eliza says:

Jake I would do the same thing, only it was making sure I got home from work in time to see it live. The finale was awful. I think that’s one of the things that makes me so upset about killing Abbie off. The fact that they basically said that her only purpose in life was to guide Crane. They were partners! Equals! She wasn’t his magical spiritual guide. They couldn’t even give her a decent send off.
      This show used to be such a joy to watch. It had so much potential. I’m so mad that they wasted it. I know that people will watch this upcoming season, and I don’t begrudge them for doing so. I have no desire to watch anymore. I don’t even know if I can watch the previous seasons.

9. Looking forward to a new Season. I hope they can make it work. One of my favorite shows.

10. TT says:

I’m not sticking around for S4. Such a shame because this was my favorite show. It was just not a good way to kill of any character, but especially one that was the co-lead and a fan favorite. It was magic in S1 especially the chemistry with Ichabod and Abbie. They had major issues in the middle of S2 and S3 was a mess. The bright spot in S2 & S3 was the relationship w Ichabod & Abbie. The magic is gone and there is just too sour a taste left after the S3 finale for me. I wish Tom the best but I’m out.

11. Carol says:

It is a wait and see, take on it. I loved the first season.

12. Lindsay hester says:

Hes can not wait

13. Ana says:

Yes Im looking forward to this.
    Why at the End the government. Took him. And hoe will be his new partner and what happened to Betsy Ross?

14. Barbara Brown says:

I Was When Nicole Barri Left The Show But in All Honesty I Didn’t Just Watch The Show For Abbie Alone,I Love The Whole Concept of This Show,and Of Course I Love Tom Mison!!!!! And the Rest of The Cast !!!!! Can’t Wait For Season 4 to Start !!!!!!!!!!!

15. Cheyenne says:

The show ended for me when they killed Abbie. The relationship between Crane and Abbie was the heart and soul of the show. Without Abbie, there is no show.

16. sunshine says:

I’ve loved this show even though season two with his really dull wife was a dud. I’m looking forward to watching Tom Mison pull off another great season. He’s capable of it and I’m going to sit back with a grin and watch him do it. Here’s to some weird history being brought to twisted life and Ichy striding tall through it.

17. preta4 says:

I’d already read this but wish them all the best going forward, but will definitely NOT be returning to view any more of this series. What’s done IS done and there’s NO going back for me at least (I’ve already moved on). I am still missing Nicole and the relationship that Ich and Abbie had, time marches on but going forward with this series, just isn’t in me to do. Hopefully they will do better by those of you staying behind.

18. Jee says:

I’m still upset that they wrote Abbie off the show. They were a team the witnesses and it began with them and should in with them. I will not watch the new season despite how much I like Ichabod, it’s just not the same

19. lana says:

Doomed to failure. Sorry. Love Tom and Nikki though

20. lexlennon says:

Doomed to failure. Sorry.
    Still love Tom and Nikki though.

21. Jamal Greene says:

I loved them together that had a chemistry together and with the sister I hope they find a way of bringing her back into the show I don’t think this new girl will have the same impact but I love the show and it’s cast me and my wife tape every time it came on so on this off season we watched re-runs

22. Jamal Greene says:

The show and its lead character has a chemistry together Abbie and nicabar Kane would have make a great love interest they fitted together with the addition of her father made it more interesting I was shock that they killed off Abbie and I hope they find a way to have her return as a ghost or spirit to help him

23. Special Lady says:

Just started watching this show. Nearly done with Season 2 and just learned about the death of Abbey. Sad that they killed her off of the show. Like many fans, I feel that Ichabod and Abbey’s chemistdy made the show. Not so sure I’ll be watching the new season.