Billy Bush Suspended NBC Today Show Donald Trump Video

Billy Bush Suspended From Today Indefinitely Following Trump Video

His apology wasn’t enough: Billy Bush has been suspended from NBC’s Today show indefinitely, “pending further review.”

In an internal memo sent out to Today staffers on Sunday night, senior producer Noah Oppenheim said that “NBC has decided to suspend Billy, pending further review of this matter.” He added that “I know we’ve all been deeply troubled by the revelations of the past 48 hours” and “there is simply no excuse for Billy’s language and behavior on that tape.”

“That tape,” of course, refers to the infamous 2005 video that surfaced on Friday, showing Bush and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump making extremely crude remarks about women. The video has created a political firestorm, with Trump issuing a video apology late Friday night and many GOP lawmakers distancing themselves from him.

Bush issued an apology on Friday as well, and was expected to appear on the Today show, where he currently co-hosts the 9 am hour, on Monday morning to address the issue on-air. “The plan is for him to have a chance to apologize,” an NBC source told The Hollywood Reporter. But that plan is apparently out… and so is Bush, at least for now.

Should Billy Bush lose his job at NBC’s Today? Or does he deserve a second chance? Hit the comments and share your thoughts.

1. Jimmy says:

Bush’s career may be over. As someone who spend his time engaging in feel-good stories and interviewing celebrities he may now be TV poison. Not sure NBC can bring him back like they did with Brian Williams.

• sthomas086 says:

Yea all one of them was outright lie, the other engaged in typical male banter that apparently even straight men have to act outraged about.

• Anna says:

It’s really pathetic that there are people commented that talking about sexually assaulting other humans is just typical male banter. You must think pretty poorly of men.

• H says:

You don’t know many men. It’s very common.

• There’s a huge difference between talking with other men about consenual sex and talking about how you can just kiss women on the lips and grab them inappropriately whenever/wherever/however you want. Bragging about how you can get away with something because you’re “a star” just shows that you know that it’s wrong, but you don’t care and do it, anyway, because you think the rules don’t apply to you, and there won’t be consequences.

• JakeM says:

“You don’t know many abused, never sought help, really sad, man-children.”

FTFY!

• Lucifer says:

You feminists are the biggest hypocrites out there. Lena Dunham admitted she molested and emotionally abused her sister for 10 years, Amy Schumer admitted she raped a guy who was so drunk “he wasn’t even there” and you all not only rally behind them, but have no qualms about them being boosted as role models for younger women.

Donald Trump specifically said “when you’re a star, they [women] let you..” do things to them. Last time I checked, if you let someone do things to you, it’s consensual.

• trista says:

Amy Schumer did not admit to raping a guy. Amy Schumer was the one raped. Have you even read her book? She was the one who was raped.

• TV Gord says:

Also, Lena Dunham was a child herself when the incidents she described happened.

• TV Gord says:

I guess I’m not a typical male. I thought I was. Having women all around me on my family tree, I haven’t ever had a Trump-Bush-type conversation. I suppose I should feel as though I’m missing out. It doesn’t make me a big hero that I try to treat everyone the way I waht to be treated. Until now, I thought that’s what made me typical.

2. Rebecca Standfast says:

Because he said stuff 11 years ago?! Who didn’t say stupid stuff 11 years ago?

• Temperance says:

Yes. Me. Most of us.

• Collette says:

ITA Isn’t there a statute of limitations on everything except murder and treason? Not to mention freedom of speech and expectation of privacy being applied. Is PC so out of control that if you yell “I’m gonna kick your azz” at your sibling out of frustration it should be considered a genuine threat? Billy is a glad hander who was just catering to the “star” and it is ancient history. Get over it.

• You clearly have no clue what freedom of speech means. It applies to the government, first of all, not private companies. It also doesn’t mean you are free from the consequences of your words. There is no statute of limitations on that.

• Antwon303 says:

I don’t think he should lose his job but it is damaging. I can see why NBC would want to distance themselves. I think they should give him a paid vacation for two or three months. This is a HUGE story. I think it needs time to die-down and he can go back on the air and see how the viewers respond.

• Benjamin says:

Yes, when he was at the spry, naïve, innocent age of 34. At his job. Talking to a 59-year-old man. On tape. Urging a woman to hug someone who spoke about assaulting women moments prior.

• JakeM says:

Uhm, most 59 year olds getting ready for their social security check?

3. TOM says:

Why suspend someone who was a different person 10 years ago?

NBC is just suspending him because of the public outcry and the Today show / network executives do not want to fall behind in ratings. Billy Bush has been with NBC for most of his career. he made a mistake -10 years ago- he deserves a second chance.

• pamela says:

Exactly, it was only done due to public outcry and we all know most networks don’t have a backbone.

• DarkDefender says:

The problem is that 10 years ago, Billy Bush was 34yo (Trump was 59). If you can talk that crass, you act that crass. Both men were old enough to know better. I am not buying the “I was naive” card. Don’t buy it at all.

It is unacceptable at any age to “banter” about committing sexual assault.

• Mike says:

So then you must hate Bill Clinton who was accused of raping more than one woman…

• H says:

He didn’t talk about it on video, he just did it. In America that’s what counts.

• Sarah says:

And Trump has been accused of rape by 3 women (Ivana and two pending civil lawsuits, one by a woman who claimed she was 13 at the time) and groping and sexual harassment by Jill Harth. Those are just the legal claims. But I guess that was Ivana’s, Marla’s or Melania’s fault, right? Silly me I didn’t know it’s always the wife’s fault until school by Trump.

• Lucifer says:

Sarah, doesn’t change the fact that Bush has been accused of raping about 12 women (possibly more as some wish to remain anonymous) and Hillary has basically been his accomplice through it all.

4. Lk says:

His job was to put people like trump at ease enough to make those comments. It was his job to build a relationship to secure further interviews. If he had blown the interview and relationship with trump he would have been fired in 2005.

5. Jennifer Sweat says:

Honestly he should lose his job. Or be demoted. He was almost worse by encouraging Trump and then saying to AZ well aren’t you going to hug him and what about me? I mean really she gave them a hand shake it was business and after their conversation you know what he was doing. If Trump is held accountable then Billy should be too. Unfortunately you can’t fire the presidential nominee.

• Mike says:

So you’re perfect? You’ve never made a mistake? Wow, must be nice.

• sthomas086 says:

I think what I like most about all this, is men acting shocked and outraged by this.

• anon says:

You know what? I don’t know Jennifer personally but yeah, I can safely assume that she’s probably never said anything close to what was said on that tape.

• Sara says:

That’s not making a mistake. That is describing commiting sexual assault. That is harrassing women. They were no innocent statements. Billy Bush torpedoed his reputation and his level of trustworthiness. His female coworkers and interview subjects can no longer trust that he isn’t saying disgustly sexualized things about them behind their backs.

6. diane says:

He didn’t even say much. The dope helped the show bury him, which they were gunning for anyway.

7. Mike says:

This is getting ridiculous. So now we’re not allowed to make mistakes. Not allowed to be human. Yeah, he said something he shouldn’t have TEN YEARS AGO. How does that affect who he is today? He’s obviously been doing good work or they wouldn’t continue to promote him until now. I guess everyone at NBC is perfect. I wish he had other job offers so he could tell NBC to go F off. This whole thing is ridiculous.

• Anne says:

If your mistake is committing or bragging about committing or encouraging others to commit a sexual assault….then no, you aren’t allowed to make a mistake.
      Victims of sexual violence have to live with that “mistake” for the rest of their lives; why shouldn’t the perpetrator (and his supporters) be punished for that.

• Collette says:

Saying something and actually doing it are two different things. Fantasy vs reality. Humoring a guest was his job and that’s not always very tasteful.

8. Jenn D says:

I do not think he should lose his job, at least not permanetly. A few days, maybe

9. Sabra Litherland says:

From the get-go I was unhappy with him. I’ve watched today since Jane Pauley days. There’s a certain standard I’ve become familiar with…Bush never reached that standard. He’s brash, self centered, and unsophisticated.

10. Kim says:

Do not fire him! He was only Trump’s ear during that tape. Billy is older now and probably regrets that day with Trump.

• I don't like Bush, anyway. LMAO says:

Allegedly, Bush said some inflammatory statements, also. NBC edited the tape and didn’t release those. He not only encouraged Trumps behavior, but joined on. Pathetic. He’s a loser. I trust Trump more than Bush, and that’s not saying a lot! LOL

11. Lane Mozart says:

He’s not worthy of a second chance..That’s show biz!
    Let’s move on..Brian Williams deserved a 2nd chance.

12. Boris Walsh says:

Get rid of him!. He says that he was inmature back then?..he was 33!!

13. Send him to Rulers to be a bun boy and get booty popped every night at lights out.

14. Have you ever said anything that you regretted and are ashamed of what you said????? We all make mistakes but our conversations are not recorded. Now you have to be afraid of who is recording you. Not to say that what he said was by any means right, but mistakes are meant to be forgiven

• anon says:

Saying something you regret is like saying that someone’s cooking is terrible or their kids aren’t very well behaved and they turn out to be right behind you. That’s a mistake. What Trump was saying was intentional and the only reason her gave a (terrible) apology is because he got caught.

• Anna says:

Sure, but people pay for their mistakes every single day. Should all mistakes just be swept under the rug just because every person makes them? Martha Stewart can tell you her insider trading was a mistake until she’s blue in the face, but she still went to prison for it. My cousin mistakenly trusted a business associate, and now is losing his business because of it. Sometimes, there are ramifications for your mistakes, and that’s how the real world works.

15. SJ says:

Wow? Seriously? For remarks he made 11 years ago? America is now officially wussified. People are so touchy. We’re at a point where you can’t say anything without offending someone else. I’m so glad that we’re not quite there yet in Germany…

• Paolo says:

Yeah, because egging on and laughing with a man who LITERALLY BRAGGED ABOUT COMMITTING SEXUAL ASSAULT should have zero repercussions, right?

Instead of saying “Whoa, Donnie, you’ve gone too far!” he laughed with him. He consented to his deplorable thoughts. He laughed, acknowledging it was alright. Give me a break!

16. Susan Keller says:

Yes he should lose his job! That whole thing was disgusting. It made me sick to hear Billy Bush laughing @ trumps remarks. (Apologizing isn’t enought, he was going along with it.)

17. Thomas says:

He should be given a second.chance. Brian Williams lied and manipulated news as the most watched anchor on television. He was.given a new life. Al Roker, whose pompous attitude toward Mr. Bush was applauded by some, has often embarrassed NBC, is obnoxious almost daily. And, NC should have known this. Their program, their tape. There were AWOL.

18. dewyprincess says:

Please, get rid of him, like yesterday. On Friday he was just annoying. Now he’s gross and annoying.

19. Sara says:

I can’t imagine that women will be comfortable being interviewed by him anymore. And women are The Today Show’s core demographic. Knowing the scummy and degrading things he says about women and that he condoned and laughed at sexual assault does not stand with the Today Show brand. On top of all of that, he has been an unpopular addition anyway. Cut him loose.

20. Sarah says:

I don’t see how they can fire him for something that happened on another job before his employment. However, they have a right to suspend him pending an investigation because it shows a lack of judgement when dealing with situations on the job and on camera and/or miked. He also used profanity and was insulting to guests and laughed when his co-worker was insulted.

These are the same type of situations that he has to deal with currently in his very high profile, high pay job, so they have a right to make sure that he hasn’t abused his position on their program as well. He may also have a morality clause in his contract as many people in the entertainment and infotainment industry have. In that case they may have a reason to terminate him just based on that. Either way, he is expected to be professional in his job and to have the trust of the people he interviews. And in “at will” employment situations, he can be fired for any reason not covered by federal or state guidelines, i.e. discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

More than likely if he hasn’t done anything similar at his current job, he’ll just get reassigned. That’s what they did to Brian Williams–hiatus then a demotion.

• jj says:

He made those comments while working for NBC which is still the company he works for, so it’s not really “another job”.

• Sarah says:

Good point, I didn’t know that it was an NBC show. Still I would hope they have some additional reason to fire him–unless he has a morality clause in his contract.

21. Katrinka says:

Billy Bush shouldn’t have been on the Today Show in the first place. His goofy frat boy persona was OK on Access Hollywood – he wants to be everyone’s buddy. He may be a different person now, he may not. How would we know? I do know that he was 33 years old at the time, married & had a 7 year old daughter. A tad bit too old to be using the “I was immature” excuse.

22. tony proclo says:

I never liked him on any show. Way to smarmy

23. Claire says:

I understood Billy Bush nodding along to someone else’s inappropriate comments when his guest was someone who could have gotten him fired for disagreeing with him. However, after the comments are made, he proceeds to tell the woman to hug Trump, which makes him just as disgusting Trump himself.

I guess I wouldn’t fire him for something that happened over a decade ago, but he needs some kind of sexual harassment workshop.

24. Ronnie says:

They will probably downgrade him to a special correspondent doing reports out of the studio for a while. He was never a good fit with the morning crew anyway. And he’s always come across as arrogant which has made him unappealing for many.

25. Aflem says:

Maybe they can find a place for him with Brian Williams on MSNBC…

26. Tomm Huntre says:

So Willie Geist was bumped off TODAY for that fool???

27. David Santos says:

To everyone saying that it was just a mistake and that no one is perfect: I agree that no one is perfect and that everybody makes mistakes. No one is saying people aren’t “allowed” to make mistakes. But when they do make one, they ought to face the consequences.

Yes, it was a long time ago, but so what? Was he literally a child back then? Do we know for a fact that he doesn’t think that way anymore? No. So why should he get a pass?

28. Gloria V Lee says:

Yes, Billy Bush should lose his job at NBC. All public persons, male and female should be held accountable for derogatory comments. This is not about political correctness. This is about civility in all public discourse. We’ve got to reestablish respect for each other.

29. AngieD says:

I think that it’s the sum of how he handled the Lochte mess, as well. Between the 2 incidents, there’s a pattern of ‘boys will be boys’ . Sexual harassment is not a new issue – my employer has training anti-discrimination and anti-harassment courses required for all employees for the past several years. He has to work with many females and, by other reports, he is not the most popular person on the set. So, sure, a suspension is appropriate.

30. Jim says:

He should not lose his job. But then again NBC should have never hired him, not a good fit. They got rid of Ann Curry, now Natalie and Willy. The most ” likeable” people on the Today Show. If you think you have bad ratings now just wait! And no one seems to take responsibility for their actions anymore and just blame someone else. That’s why they think they’ve made NO mistakes and are PERFECT! Anyone could be fired from their job tomorrow by something they said or did in the past but that does’nt mean you should be.

31. Nancy says:

Hell yes

32. Paula says:

He should most definitely be fired (and hopefully never be allowed to work on tv again). And it is becoming apparent to me that many posters on this site are really horrible (yes, deplorable) people seemingly possessing neither a conscience nor basic human decency! Defending and making excuses for these degenerates? I pity every female of any age who has the misfortune to be in your presence!!

33. Rheinmeister says:

Had they left him on Access Hollywood I think he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and they could have moved on from it. He’s on the more serious morning show that it calls into question his ability to realistically stay there. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they fired him. Sucks for him after moving from LA. Maybe he could go to CBS and work on Entertainment Tonight – oh that’s right Nancy O’Dell is there….awkward!!!

34. ROSEMARY HARRIS says:

I guess Billy Bush doesn’t remember what Connie Chung did to Barbara Bush in an interview. She hasn’t worked since. She proved she had no integrity.

35. regina diaz says:

That’s what he gets for bringing up a private trash talk conversation between two adult men. He should have thought about it before he leaked it out trying to damage Donald Trump and discredit his chances for President. A total Bush attack and he most assuredly doesn’t care about being suspended he got done what he wanted to but Donald Trump will surely clear his name and likely get more votes out of this.

36. Susan says:

The point that bothered me too was the way Billy asked Arianne to hug Trump. Skin crawling moment for me. Lower… You’re fired.

37. Lame says:

He’s hosting a show that caters to women . I think that alone disqualifys him. The network had no choice or lose all credibility .

38. Andrea says:

The difference between Brian Williams and Billy Bush, for me, is that Brian Williams got into hot water by stating something as fact, on-air, in his position as anchor, that turned out to be false. Brian brought forward that story from his past himself. He was the one who brought it into the present day again, and it bit him in the butt. Billy’s comments, while inappropriate and worthy of a suspension, were not something that he chose to bring forward from his past. He did make them on-air as Access Hollywood reporter Billy Bush They were hot-mike comments that were brought forth by the Washington Post and were made more than a decade ago before Trump was anywhere near public office. I’m bothered by the retroactive nature of Billy Bush potentially being fired over something that he said over ten years ago that he had no way of knowing would become such a major point years later. Trump chose to become a candidate, which means your past gets very public. However, Billy Bush is not a candidate and didn’t knowingly bring this upon himself, unlike Brian Williams.

39. Deb says:

As far as Billy”s role in this, what I find the most disturbing is how he can be heard giggling as Mr Trump is making these sexist comments. Anyone who finds these types of comments funny is just s guilty as the person making them.

40. Ana says:

He should not lose his job nI ever know what’s going to come out of trumps mouth everybody becomes a victim when he’s around. Trump is a lose Canon

41. Mr. Smith says:

You have to be kidding me? Over 50 million copies of Fifty Shades of Grey have been sold, and you suspend Mr. Bush for this?

This is the country of Double Standards.

42. Brian says:

No excuse for the same behavior that has been tolerated for years from this smarmy douchebag? That is almost as funny as the Republicans that are now jumping ship from the same misogynist they endorsed despite the fact that he is the same exact person he has been for decades. F U NBC.

43. Susan says:

Billy Bush looked as though he saw a ghost coming out of that bus, and I thought he was a breath of fresh air on the somewhat “stuffy” TODAY show. I can say I find Al Roker extremely boring and sometimes says what I consider controversial things…Billy has a family and I’m sure if he gets the opportunity he can be the proper news anchor that NBC hired in the first place. Give him a second chance, don’t let him be a result of Donald Trumps many disasters!

44. Larry says:

YES!!! Thumbs down!

45. Laura Thorne says:

Well well well here we go again. . .Paula Deen said the “n” word while getting robbed as a bank teller 30 years ago.
    Na a a there’s no statute of limitations because we must reach back while we’re young dumb and pea- green ignorant and pay consequences TODAY. NBC is like all the rest of the leftist media hacks who love their ratings. No different. Nevermind the women in Slick Willy’s life, right ??!?? Right !! Best line of the 2nd presidential debate ; ” Because you’d be in jail ” ha ha ha !!

46. Phil says:

All I’m gonna say is this… If this is a big enough issue for Bush to get fired over, then how can anyone actually vote for Trump? If he wins the election after this, what we’re essentially saying is “if you’re a tv show host and participate in bragging about your groping women, you lose your job, but it’s totally fine for the president to do it!”

47. Chaya says:

Out. It’s a joke thinking Today is a new show, but even so, he was disgusting too.

48. Writerpatrick says:

I get the impression he’s being punished more for being friendly with Trump. This is something that happened a decade ago, not just recently. He could have a case for wrongful dismissal.

49. parstl says:

In the news and entertainment industry, talent is judged on their ability to keep and draw audience. Good broadcast ers are let go and demoted all the time for failing to keep ratings or for behaviors. That’s the downside of receiving high salaries. It’s the business. He was in the industry when he engaged in the banter and it appears the network consider s him a threat to the public good will. And really…we all know his career was boosted by his relationship with the Bush family. So it is now hurt for his association with and condoning the Trump comments.

50. Jeff says:

All you perfect people that have “Cast the first stone” This bothers you so much why? I am far from perfect and TV has more Sex than ever! Don’t ever hear about them apologizing! All I hear is how it is good TV! These actions Trump talked 11 years ago are insinuated on more TV shows today than not, yet you all watch them!