Flash Season 3 Ratings

Was Flashpoint Trip Too Short? Stealth Five-0 Spinoff? Arizona's New Grey's Love Revealed? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Saturday Night Live, Westworld, Scorpion and The Flash!

1 | After watching Netflix’s riveting Amanda Knox documentary, were you surprised at how little you actually knew about the case going in?

2 | When it comes to MacGyver‘s “hacks,” didn’t Burn Notice‘s Michael Weston do a better job of explaining to us the science? Like, how does a coin clamped in jumper cables cut through steel?

3 | TVLine reader Natalie asks of Chris Vance’s Hawaii Five-0 visit: “Wasn’t that episode Harry-centric enough to feel like a backdoor pilot? Or at least an introduction to a character we will meet again this season?”

alec-baldwin-trump-cold-open4 | In the interest of fairness, shouldn’t Saturday Night Live‘s Kate McKinnon use age makeup and some padding to play Hillary, if Alec Baldwin is going to sport full prosthetics as Trump?

5 | Why did Once Upon a Time‘s Evil Queen need to exhaust The Dragon’s magic stash just to get to Maine? Doesn’t she just need a train ticket?

6 | Are you relieved or disappointed that Madam Secretary‘s Elizabeth won’t be President Dalton’s VP?

7 | Given how sterile and passionless their relationship was at the start of Masters of Sex, would you have ever guessed that Bill and Libby could be so… hot together?

Westworld8 | Westworld‘s Man in Black has gotta be a host that somehow went rogue, right?

9 | Shameless fans, how mad are you that Lip dropped out of college?

10 | When Fear the Walking Dead‘s Travis went all Rick Grimes on Chris’ killers in the Season 2 finale, did he change the show from one that (your recap comments have long suggested) you love to hate to one that you sorta begrudgingly like?

11 | Do Conviction‘s Hayes Morrison and Scandal‘s Olivia Pope share the same coat closet?

Scorpion12 | So… Scorpion‘s Walter stopped for a haircut on the way to Lake Tahoe?

13 | Is Bridget Regan guest-starring on Grey’s Anatomy as A) Arizona’s new girlfriend, B) Owen’s sister or C) both?

14 | Would The Flash have benefited from extending the Flashpoint arc to two or three episodes, to get the full impact of Barry’s new life? And if Reverse-Flash is alive again in the present – or did he travel back to the future after dropping Barry off? – does that mean Eddie died in vain?

15 | Wouldn’t No Tomorrow‘s Xavier just be considered a creepy lunatic stalker if he weren’t so damn good-looking? Also, did you notice the pilot’s shot-in-LA-but-set-in-Seattle-after-the-fact dissonance? (So many palm trees!)No Tomorrow

16 | Did Empire drop the ball with its take on “Black Lives Matter” by making the charges against Andre part of Tariq’s plot to bring down the Lyons? And can anyone remember a time when Tiana had more to do than coo and purr and shake her derrière on stage?

17 | We get that it’s an Arrow plot point, but it’s silly, right, that a police department would have a special “anti-crime” Blindspotunit? What does Felicity’s detective boyfriend think she does all day? Does she have a cover story? (What are you willing to bet he turns out to be corrupt?) And how do we get her one of these Blindspot computer purses?

18 | If you’re an undercover cop like Frequency‘s Frank Sullivan, isn’t it a really bad idea to bury gifts for your daughter in your family’s yard — and then sit in a car nearby and watch her dig them up? And how did the CW series’ old age makeup compare to Mandy Moore’s on This Is Us?

19 | Would Designated Survivor‘s President Kirkman really have made time for a TV sitdown so soon after the attack? Hadn’t he just addressed the nation?

20 | Isn’t How to Get Away With Murder‘s Annalise long overdue to have one of her flashy courtroom stunts backfire completely? That said, has there been a more satisfying slap on TV this year than her wicked rebuke of that creepy, ladykiller client?

T-Mobile Nicki Minaj21 | There’s no way “Steven” was in the same room with Nicki Minaj when they shot this T-Mobile commercial shoot, right?

22 | Would it make sense to cast Star Trek alum William Shatner as anyone other than himself on The Big Bang Theory? Wouldn’t it be a stretch to cast him as someone else (perhaps, as TVLine reader “Luis Roman” suggests, as Howard’s father) and expect the characters not to see a resemblance?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Quinten says:

9. Didn’t he get expelled? I’m thinking it’s more of taking time off than full on dropping out, considering what he’s going through it’s probably the smartest decision for the time being.

2. Luis Roman says:

Damn you people are good!

3. maregolden says:

#14. Thinking about the Flash time travel stuff makes my head hurt a little. I can’t wait to see how going back and having Barry’s mother killed again made Iris and her Dad estranged from each other.

• shunda1177 says:

Same here!! Trying to explain things when time travel is involved just hurts :-) I do think they could have stretched “Flashpoint” out to at least one more episode. And it will interesting to find out what caused the rift between Iris and Joe.

• Mary says:

Yeah, I had been expecting it to go for around two to three episodes, not be one and done. Oh well, the fall out from it definitely won’t be.

• Al Youstic says:

I thought that they could have an entire week of “Dark Timeline” episodes for the season premieres of Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, and LOT. That would have made the entire storyline much bigger, and we would have seen how the other heroes were affected by altering the timeline. Barry then would have realized much more what a big idiot he can sometimes be.

• V says:

Once this is resolved, I SERIOUSLY hope Barry finally learns his lesson. NO. MORE. TIME TRAVEL!!!!

4. Winter says:

4. To be fair Alec Baldwin is just playing Trump while McKinnon could be playing other characters in the show and not have time to spend in the make up chair putting on prosthetics. (At least I would think that I haven’t watched SNL in year.)

9. Lip didn’t really have a choice he was expelled from school. Of course I do find it disappointing that he’s not trying to go anywhere else.

15. Isn’t it the whole joke that she should be treating him like a weirdo but he’s just so damn cute and charming? Also don’t you think this show would work better as a half hour?

5. skrable2a says:

Here’s one: Since the Timeless team can’t go back to a time period THEY’VE already visited, why can’t a SECOND TEAM go back to the day before the Hindenberg incident and — using intel from the first team’s visit — stop the sabotage plot?

• CSB says:

I had a similar thought. It seemed like way too convenient of an answer. But that always is the way with time-travelling “rules”.

6. Luis Roman says:

3. I came upon my wife watching the H50 season premiere and I nearly plotzed. Did they actually go balls out and bring in a Jack Lord impersonator?
    6. i t would make the “Madam Secretary” somewhat superfluous, wouldn’t it? Plus, since she’s already served as President temporarily, even a full time VP job would feel like a step down.
    14. I had hoped “Flashpoint” would either be a two-parter or a two hour premiere, but it sounds like they’re so stuffed to the gills with guest stars, I understand why they kept it short.
    17. As far as I’m concerned, you can call Arrow’s ACU the Antil Competence Unit.
    19. The Capitol and most of Congress, the Cabinet and the SCOTUS just got blown up. I think people are going to want to see the President on TV as much as possible.
    21. I’ve been closer to Nicki Minaj than the guy in that commercial was

• Carmen says:

# 3 – they had a body actor, CGI’ed the face, and I don’t know this part but I think they had a different voice actor. It was pretty cool! Tho obvious CGI

7. kate says:

I did think Flashpoint was going to last for like three episodes to start out the season, and it makes me worried that the after effects will end after three episodes. And, well, fingers crossed that maybe Eddie’s fate was avoided as one of the beneficial Flashpoint effects, I figure photos showing Rick Cosnett around the set wouldn’t be a big deal since he and Jesse Martin became like theater nerd besties and they do side projects. Barry kind of needs a big brother, if Eddie is on the same sort of path he was on when we last saw him.

I’m just assuming Felicity’s new boyfriend is actually Prometheus and I’m also figuring that we will be complaining once that is revealed in the second half that Arrow just took the same storyline Flash did for the first two seasons so Flash didn’t do it again.

8. Bella says:

3. Yes, I wondered that, too. I liked Chris Vance’s character, Harry, and would happy to see him either as an occasional recurring character on Five-0, or with his own series.

9. Larc says:

13. I don’t care about Arizona. I may be the only one who wishes she had stayed in NYC.

• fiberlicious says:

Nope, you’re not. I’ve hated her since she went all drama llama on Callie for saving her freakin’ life.

• sayer says:

Arizona was in a plane crash and Callie let Alex take her leg while she was operating on Derek’s hand. That operation was not life or death, she should have left Derek and tried to save Arizona’s leg. Callie was a selfish bitch kept trying to have sex with her, then seduced her. Sorry glad Callie is gone. Jessica Capshaw is awesome, she makes me LOL every time she is on the screen.

• Jamie says:

Nope nope nope. To everything that you said.
          That operation was life or death. Alex told Callie that Arizona was septic and that she was crashing. Her leg was severely infected from the wound that had been rotting out there in the forest for a week without antibiotics, and she would have died if they didn’t amputate. Callie leaving Derek’s hand (and effectively leaving him unnecessarily disabled instead) would not have changed the fact that her leg needed to come off. We would have had two disabled surgeons then, and Derek wouldn’t even be able to do his job.

And Callie was not selfish for trying to have sex with Arizona. She was trying to coax Arizona back into her life instead of letting her waste away. If Callie hadn’t have pushed, Arizona would have laid her bed indefinitely instead of going back to work, playing with her child, hanging out with her friends, having sex with her wife, etc. – you know, having something of a life instead of drowning in that bed. Callie saved Arizona, and then Arizona continued to dump on Callie and cheat on her. And Arizona is just as selfish and self-absorbed as ever – see this episode. So annoyed that Arizona is onscreen while Callie is gone.

• Anna says:

You’re not. Hated her character for a long time now. This episode just reminded me of how much more I enjoy the show when she’s not there…

• Erin B says:

I fully agree. Arizona is the worst. I like Jessica Capshaw, but I don’t think the writers could do anything at this point to make me like her.

10. Giovanni says:

No. 2 — Man, I really miss Burn Notice. Such a quality, fast-moving hour of TV. Truth be told, I miss most the older USA shows — Monk, Psych, White Collar…

• KLS says:

Agreed. USA’s “Blue Sky” period is way better then what they’ve got on now.

• PatriciaLee says:

They hit a human race high, with that blue sky USA format. We need that blue sky warm fuzzy place to count on, to go to in between stuff. Hopefully, the brains in suitworld will bring back at least half the shows on USA in the old blue sky, format. I wish they would have TV movies to continue the previous shows.

• BWine says:

I miss the old USA shows too. As a matter of fact, I still watch Psych reruns, or at least I did until the show disappeared from Netflix earlier this month…

• Katrinka says:

I miss all the old USA Blue Sky shows too. I think what they’re broadcasting now is mostly Doom & Gloom. ION just started showing Psych again, so I’ve got that going for me.

11. Kevin K says:

#4 – Alec Baldwin’s Donald Trump is the best. #11 – Hayes Morrison from Conviction is no Olivia Pope in my opinion.

12. Rick Katze says:

14 The Flashpoint changes are still there to some degree. In many ways it was a sad story so I’m not complaining that they condensed what we have seen to date in the first episode. But there are clearly more ramifications which we will see in the next couple of weeks. They will cause conflict but maybe not the same amount of sadness.

13. HAP says:

What struck me most about Amanda Knox is what a physical toll the ordeal took on her. She looks ten years older than her actual age of 29.

14. Alex only has to play Trump, so they can go more elaborate with his makeup. Kate McKinnon has to be able to get in and out of makeup for other characters. Plus, her facial expressions are so much a part of her portrayal. I’d hate to see them hide her under makeup.

15. Adam says:

Umm, it’s still Flashpoint. You saw that there was still a difference to the ‘universe’ when he came back. He’s still going to want to get back to Earth 1 normality. We haven’t even seen the Cisco or Caitlyn of his ‘new’ reality that he came back to. Who knows what else is different. This is just the beginning of the story arc.

16. MissEllys says:

8. YES
    16. Why oh why did Tariq tell Andre he was behind it…instead of helping him out of it thus sneakily getting him to owe him one?

17. JJ says:

9. Yes!!! I want Lip to break the Gallagher trend and finish college!!

18. Dr.Bombay says:

OMG! Chris was killed on FTWD? I stopped watching after season 1 finale but seeing him die would definitely be worth watching!

19. Lore says:

What about Code Black and Chicago Med, 2 different days, 2 plots about a trans woman and it was the same actress

20. Pia says:

Now I want to rewatch Burn Notice.

21. KT says:

On “No Tomorrow,” the world must be ending, but there is no way that many palm trees could thrive in Seattle.

22. kirads09 says:

My burning questions all surround Blacklist! SPOILER ALERT!

Again (like every week) I scream – has no one on this show ever heard of a paternity test?!
    What is up with Liz’s “visions” of her mother? Should we be worried about her mental state? Could the journal be a planted fake?
    Is the thing about Kirk’s disease true?
    Given all the obfuscation and subterfuge Red is capable of I question whether anything is real anymore or just created to get Red what he wants in the end (whatever that is!) and/or support a lie he is selling.
    So Kaplan is still holding on to life – yay – but what??? Exactly who was that who found her? One of Kirk’s men perhaps?
    Who was that woman with Aram?
    It was quite an episode last night. I am extremely curious how they are going to play the spinoff. Obviously it means a parting of the ways somehow for Liz and Tom – I guess we will see.

• I agree with all of your points. I am frankly getting tired of the who’s Liz’ Daddy thing and the search for Agnes. Why is the Post Office team o n ly ever bailing Liz out? They need to get back to the original Blacklister of the werk, with no tie in to Liz or the baby

• TV Gord says:

Red never lies. That’s a thing with him.

Also, I don’t think Liz and Tom have to part. They can both be off on different assignments and just appear on their separate shows. There’s a possibility that Agnes won’t be back with them anytime soon, so that would solve a lot of problems, but if they do get her back, hopefully the two shows won’t both be on Thursdays so one of them can stay home with her. ;-)

• Kat says:

I think Red lied about lying. Red is a sociopath. So, he lies. BTW, I love Red. I accept him for who he is.

I like watching Tom with Agnes. I’d watch that show.

Kirk as Liz’s father doesn’t feel right. I’m not saying Red has to be her father. I just don’t like it that it could be Kirk. No, I am saying make Red her father. Let Agnes call him grandpa. Whatever the endgame is for Liz and Red’s relationship, the writers need to get there now. I want to get back to the blacklisters. I mean, the ones who are one and done, not the ones that are blacklisters for a couple of episodes, then stick around for more episodes (except for Tom or whatever his real name is). Answer the question of who Red and Liz are to each other and move on. This is not the primary reason fans watch the show. But it could become the primary reason I stop.

23. ScottJ says:

14. I am surprised the actual Flashpoint was so short, but I’m pleased it was. How could the show have kept it going longer? We’d seen the alternate versions of most of the main characters, so what else was there to do? The timeline was always going to revert back so there was no point having any big significant plot points or story-lines.

24. fiberlicious says:

6. Naw – this way she still has something to do!
    11. And the same writers?
    12. That was my first thought, too!

25. xyz says:

The Flash hasn’t returned to his timeline. It is still flashpoint.

26. KLS says:

10. Maybe. But it took 2 years and 21 episodes to get there. (FTWD)

27. Lala says:

That slap from Annalise gave me life…it was so darn satisfying!

28. Tom says:

4 | In the interest of fairness, shouldn’t Saturday Night Live‘s Kate McKinnon use age makeup and some padding to play Hillary, if Alec Baldwin is going to sport full prosthetics as Drumpf?
    ~
    My guess would be quick change
    ~
    ~
    Just because VEEP dealt with Selina not being Vice President doesn’t mean It’s a smart move for Madam Secretary to change Elizabeth’s status
    ~
    12 | So… Scorpion‘s Walter stopped for a haircut on the way to Lake Tahoe?
    ~
    Love makes us do crazy things. I’m sure there’s some place he could have gotten it done
    ~
    ~
    Not that I watch but both sounds plausible I’m guessing
    ~
    ~
    Sitdowns are a different animal than addresses in the midst of a horrific attack
    ~
    ~
    *nods* But sometimes these things happen, I mean, Smallville was a thing on Chuck, but then boom, Kristin Kreuk played a brief love interest for Chuck so……Plus all the other genre actors that were on that show. I mean, Chuck and Ellie’s parents alone, c’mon.

29. TV Gord says:

I agree with those who say Kate McKinnon can’t wear full Hillary prosthetics for a live show, As for alec, aren’t most of his “Trump prosthetics” already built in? ;-)

30. 13. Either A or B is fine with me… but C would annoy me. I mean in the last few seasons, we have had Penny who was involved with Derek’s death and then shows up as Callie’s girlfriend, and then Riggs being in the war zone with April then coming to Seattle and having a past relationship with Owen and his yet to be seen sister. I think that particular plot point has been seriously over played at this point. Plus I mean, Callie was Bisexual where Arizona is not, she is a lesbian. Owens sister having been involved with Riggs, would in my opinion be again rehashing a story line we have already done, Arizona deserves someone who is into her and only her.

• sayer says:

I agree. I am hoping Bridget Reagan is Arizona new love interest, not Owens sister. Arizona does not need another bisexual love interest.

• Jamie says:

Eyeroll. I get not wanting another love triangle, but it’s always annoying to see that biphobia is alive and well.

31. jj says:

yes! Anti-crime unit is such a weird name given that all cops should anti-crime

32. Marci says:

The foreground looks like Palisades Park in Santa Monica. But it looks like the Space Needle is in the background. What the heck were they trying to do?

33. PatriciaLee says:

2. Burn Notice was genius until they killed off the brother, etc., so we’re making do. I could visualize the coin getting hot and doing a hot beam thing to cut through. No one cared the way Michael did, that you got.
    3. Could we be so lucky? I loved him in The Transporter and Prison Break. Now, that I think about it, I say YES! (just don’t make him a 5o villian…please…)
    4. Hmmm…maybe a grey dress with a more pale face, less dark eye makeup, and more pale hair, since that is what she uses in real life. The words would have been good enough, not younging her up. But Winter made a good point about her having
    11. Same set?
    12. I, actually, thought he took the time to get spruced up, thinking, good call Walter.
    18. I thought nuts, at first, but when I learned it was a birthday present (so once a year) I accepted there was a communication system between them.
    21. Steven’s face is clearly in the back for a few microseconds when she is walking away. They were probably in the room for two seconds that segment.
    22. They could have him play two roles, one as himself and one as Howard’s father. That would be fun.

• PatriciaLee says:

4. But Winter made a good point about her might having to do different scenes and sketches, during that filming. (drat that we don’t get to edit–maybe, someone will finish the sentence in the original post.)

34. Eric Cousino says:

#21 I am not even sure Nicki Minaj was all there for the Tmobile commercial

35. Ram510 says:

14) I thought Flashpoint was going to go on for a while, like 8 episodes or until midseason. I felt the premiere was very well done so I was surprised but kind of relieved by the fast pace. Like last season, they drug out that Zoom storyline for waaaaay too long. So brief but not a bad thing

36. DarkDefender says:

My question –> How is it after all these years (over there) that FRINGE has topped the ratings again? Better yet, are you glad Astrid’s dad finally met the gang?

• Kat says:

LOL. I watched “Fringe.” I mean, this year I watched every season again (Thank you, Amazon). I love “Fringe.” “Timeless” is no “Fringe.”

After watching the pilot, I do not feel compelled to watch “Timeless” any further. I don’t like its ‘rules’ and ‘Astrid’s dad’ is just a plot device to create drama.

I miss Walter.

37. partisan says:

8: There’s a fan theory that the man in black is the one from the original movie and that the events of the movie represent the “incident” that occurred 30 years ago. MIB became self aware and he has been coming back to the park for 30 years trying to create more self aware robots like himself.Just a theory but makes you go Hmmm.

38. Kevin In CT says:

I have a question. Does Frank Reagan ever eat any of his dinner or just butter his roll to death? :)

39. SharonP says:

I’m just angry as all hell ang a lot more angry that Toby’s car on Scorpion got trashed. My first car was that car. So I loved and adored that car. How dare them destroying that fine automobile.

40. Chuck Gorman says:

I think it is still possible for Elizabeth to be the VP on the ticket if he runs for a different party. Highly unlikely but still possible.

41. Lex says:

Not to be mean, but I thought I was watching the Walking Dead one day and it turns out it was just Hillary Clinton. She goes from ‘awake’ to ‘about to keel over’ way to much. It’s scary. She’ll win and we’ll barely see her. That’s my prediction.