The Young and the Restless Steve Burton Leaving

Young and the Restless: Steve Burton to Exit CBS Soap — Find Out When

Steve Burton is putting another daytime drama in his rearview mirror.

The soap vet will leave CBS’ The Young and the Restless when his contract is up in December, he tweeted Thursday evening.

Burton made a name for himself — and won a Daytime Emmy — as General Hospital‘s Jason. He moved to Y&R, where he played Dylan, in 2012. At the time, he told the hosts of The Talk that the network had accommodated his requests for a work schedule that would allow him to maximize his time in Tennessee, where his family lived.

No word yet on Burton’s final air date or whether Y&R plans to recast the role.

1. Dave says:

Fabulous news. Boring actor. Boring character. Useless and a waste of money.

2. Marge says:

Hooray! His character Dylan is BORING.

3. PH says:

I know that Dylan was definitely not a fan-favorite character (and for good reason, considering Steve Burton only came to Y&R because of JFP) but I will miss him on the canvas. He was never the most exciting character but he was always a steady and reliable one and I definitely enjoyed his growth as he realized that he was Nikki and Paul’s son.

• Renee Handy says:

I really feel young and restless is losing major actors has to bee, losing too many major actors, they are just not saying the real reasons. They are constantly repeating same story lines, many good actors, sofia pernas, ro

• Amanda Ventresca says:

What is JFP

4. Big Cheddar says:

I was actually starting to like Dillion now, especially since he hates Victor. I wonder if they’ll recast the part, since he’s tied to two legacy characters.

5. Claire says:

How long until he’s back on GH?

• I don’t think he’s going back. He left there because of the writer and executive producer, and the EP is still there.

I don’t think Billy Miller’s leaving the role of Jason any time soon. He had his chances to move to primetime when his YR character was really popular, but he chose to stay and then go to GH instead.

• dman6015 says:

If the execs at ABC and the producers of GH want Burton back, and he’s willing, he’ll be back. I don’t see that happening, though.

• Josie says:

He has already said that he is starting a new business of his own. Helping beginning actors how to act right and cut out all the bs on the way

6. Jean Wyatt says:

I will truly miss Dylan. I wish he could go back to GH. Loved him on that show. Thanks Mr. Burton, you are a great actor. Always putmgod and family before anything else. Good Luck.

7. matty says:

Not a shock at all. I assumed when Jill Farren Phelps left that he would leave as well.

8. J anet says:

I have waited for this day. Patiently hope he returns to gh show changed so much without him.

9. Becky says:

Well, not a big surprise…I have been watching Y&R since its conception…just tired of the coming and goings all the time…seems too much lately… u just finally get used to somebody and boom, they are gone yet again..really? Jill, Nikki, Victor, Sharon and Paul have all been there since the beginning…don’t hire people if they are not going to stay…may help your following…I saybring Adam back…that would help…

10. Jean says:

So sad that Steve Burton is leaving the role of Dylan on Young and Restless. One of my favorite characters. He was such a good lovable character and wish that he was continuing on with the show.

11. Jean says:

So sad that Steve Burton is leaving Young and Restless as Dylan. I loved his character and wish he was staying.

12. rose Samuel says:

Oh no they have to find a new man for Sharon .Dylan is the best cop ever.Love Paul though. Sorry to see Dylan go his character will be missed. Good luck to him

13. Shara says:

I was sad when SB left GH. I began watching Y&R, following him to that soap. I couldn’t stand Y&R. Stupid. Redundant. Snooze-fest. So even though SB was on, I bailed. I have watched GH for 25+ years (LOVE it!) at this point I wouldn’t want SB back as Jason. I like Billy in the role. (Not that SB would return.) Hopefully SB will be happy with whatever he decides to do in the future.

14. BlueEyes28 says:

Sad to see this.:( He was my fave.Can only hope he return as Jason cause Billy is not JM.

15. Paula says:

Bye, don’t let the door hit you on the way out! At least now Y & R has gotten rid of one useless character. Do not want him back on GH, either. Hoping Burton opts for retirement in Tennessee.

16. John says:

GH cant afford his demands

• Anna says:

You’re right. If they can’t afford Tyler Christopher, then they definitely won’t be able to afford Burton, who wants to be flown back and forth to Tennessee.

17. Stella R Haynes says:

I’m really sad he is leaving the show I liked him playing Dylan. I hope he goes back to general hospital. They are getting rid of too many people they got rid of Sage and Adam. I guess they want to put Nick and Sharon back together again now that is boring.

18. Pat says:

I watch Y&R every day or try to. I think you are a GREAT actor and will miss seeing you on the TV…Hope everything goes well for you…God Bless

19. Miss D says:

Come back to GH!!

20. John Jackson says:

Steve, you played a good character, I like how you played it. Good job. and good luck to you. You will be missed.You pattened that role brother

21. Future Story line…Finally the truth comes out about Sharon with all her lies and etc. Sharon tries to plead with Dylan how much she loves him. Dylan takes the baby walks out the door crying that’s my baby. Few minutes later Nikki walks in tell Sharon ” You destroy my son life”.Then the scene changes where there is knock on Nick door. Dylan hands the baby over to Nick with Paternity test to prove Nick the father and not him. Nick and Dylan have a long talk where Dylan explains everything. Dylan leaves the house and gets shot killed by Sharon…

Overall two characters off the show. Never liked Sharon when her character change from the beginning the way it turnout to be. Then Dylan character never really thrilled me when Nikki and Paul were his parents. Think the writers were trying to get Nikki and Paul together which backfired.

• Sharon’s not going anywhere. She’s like Elizabeth on GH. Almost everyone hates her, but the writers are so afraid of alienating a few vocal supporters on social media that they can’t fire her.

Isn’t Adam the actual father of the baby, or am I remembering incorrectly?

22. dman6015 says:

Wherever Phelps goes, so goes Burton. She got fired in June, so it’s no surprise he’s leaving.

23. Mary says:

I figure it wouldn’t be too long once Jill got fired. She is the one who brought him on and worked around him in scheduling. Oh well good luck.

24. Addie Eleby says:

Will he go back to General Hospital?

25. Tina says:

maybe now he will visit his Franklin tenn resterant more frequently so I could see him ,the food is great and the music is too

26. Amanda says:

I’ll miss him. Really liked Dylan and sad to see him go. I’m hoping they won’t kill him off but just let him leave town to reunite with Avery. I don’t think they’ll recast but was liking him as a cop. Now they really need to bring Adam back with a recast since Nick and Chelsea will have baby Christian and probably be a couple, and then find out Adam is alive and is Christian’s real father.

27. Ann says:

Not Dylan anybody but…send Sharon……by all means Phyllis and Billy(sickening)….what Stitch gonna do w/o his War Vet comrade??!!

28. Jon Hayes says:

No loss at all. Just promise to bring the silly “Sully” issue to a close so Miranda can move on to something more interesting.

29. Kristi Lyn says:

I miss him as Jason on GH!!!

30. Kevin K says:

Really shocked about Steve Burton leaving Y&R. They were others that have left the show from the likes of Kelly Sullivan and Justin Hartley.

31. Juke says:

Please don’t let him come back to GH. The new Jason is so much better and more interesting.

32. ann says:

Please come back to General Hospital – PLEASE we miss you so much

33. Leslie Skemer says:

I think that Chloe’s baby, Bella, is fathered by Victor’s sperm donor. It will be sorry to see Steve Burton leave Y&R.

34. Brenda says:

Best of luck,Steve. Hope to see you as a primetime lead soon. As for Dylan, I hope he proves Victor and Chloe set up Adam and that Chloe was in the cabin the night it blew. I want him to figure out everything about Sully. I hope he calls out Nikki for standing by Victor, Paul for being afraid to do the job, Sharon for being a liar. I hope he leaves town and tells them all he never wants to speak to any of them ever again! A cop on a soap that actually wants to put someone in jail for more than 5 minutes, I knew that wasn’t
    Going to last.

35. A. D. says:

Get back on GH now!

36. Sarah says:

I’d love him back as Jason, although it probably won’t happen with the role filled. Still he’s a soap actor and that means he’s likely going to Days or playing a different role on GH.

37. Layla Jones says:

I wish him the best but I hope he doesn’t return to General Hospital. I like the new Jason.

38. shadester says:

If he went back to GH I would start watching again.

39. Kathleen Anderson says:

It would be funny if both guys just switced rolls. Since Steve Burton originally played Jason Morgan and Billy Miller played Billy Abbot.

40. Pat holdahl says:

No recast!

41. Susan Majoris says:

I have followed Steve(my brothers Name) all the years he played Jason and was thrilled when he signed to play Dylan. He is one of the best actors in Day Time TV and he will be sorely missed. I wish him all the best in the world and hope we see him soon back on TV he’s one in a million.

42. Pat Frank says:

Steve,will return to gh?After you leave y&r I wood love to see the real Jason back .Billy will always be billy on y&r.Nothing wring with him But it would be nice to see him back on y&r.And see Patrick back on gh.I just come love seeing the real people they made there name on the 2 shows.

43. carol says:

I’m sorry but I’m sorry to Se Jason leave. And I’m really tired with the baby plot. How far out do you intend to go poor baby’s going to have 3 dads. I’m leaving the show until you get a fresh story line. Maybe show needs a new head writer sorry show is stale sence Adam lef.

44. Dianne FINGER says:

Will you be returning to general hospital?

45. Mrs Hollie says:

Hey, Dylan/Mr. Steve B
    It has been a pleasure watching on both the G& the Y&R and look forward to see you in other series of day time TV/ Movies due to your eagerness for more work while your dad continually held you back. I also think you should have been given the opportunity to investigate Sharon’s deceptive behavior and all involved meaning her involvement in Sages death .over all, your character is very loving and supportive. And your patience with Victor , was amazing. Good Job Steve. Love you 😃👍💜

46. danielle enbody says:

The character of Sharon needs to go as well. Her storylines are ridiculous, as this baby storyline…

47. Jamona Dixon says:

Sharon need him as her love interest. We are so tiered of not having a stable couple like Bob and Kim who was on As the World Turns or like Lauren and Mikel,these are genuine couples.They let viewers no classic relationship still exist on the soaps.This make me work harder in my marriage.Dylon is a good guy on this soap we need him to stay or get a replacement.

48. Renee Strandloff says:

Sorry to see you go, is it possible we could see you back on General Hospital in the future?

49. Ann says:

Sorry to see “Dylan” leave The Young and The Restless. IMO he and Sharon are one of the better couples on the show.

50. Allycia Schmidt says:

I loved him as well on General Hospital. I wonder what he will do next?