the-walking-dead-10-most-memorable-moments photo gallery

The Walking Dead's 10 Most Memorable Moments

As we nervously near the beginning of Season 7 of The Walking Dead — and the end of the unfortunate soul that Negan and Lucille were using for batting practice in the Season 6 finale — we can’t help but feel a little reflective. And yes, for the record, we were feeling that way even before AMC announced that its two-hour retrospective special The Walking Dead: Journey So Far would be premiering on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 9/8c.

Rather than merely wax nostalgic, however, your friends at TVLine decided to put their heads together and attempt to whittle down half a dozen seasons of post-apocalyptic mayhem, walker carnage and heartrending drama to only the monster smash’s 10 most memorable moments thus far. How did we do?

Click on the gallery below to peruse our selections for yourself, then hit the comments with your picks, preferences and objections to our wholly subjective list.

1. wrstlgirl says:

OMG you’re gettin’ me all excited!!! I agree w/your number one. That was one of the most surprising moments of the series IMO. I would like to add Noah’s death scene to the list though.

2. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Holy Sh*t I can’t wait for MY favorite show to come back on!!!!! MOST DEF. going to watch the 2 hr. special.

3. Dale’s death was definitely one that got to me. I don’t think it would have fit anywhere on this list or could replace something, but if there were a ‘bonus’ moment, I’d pick it. The truth is there are too many to count. The first time my breath was ever taken away by the show and I thought ‘this is impossible’ was the night Rick killed Shane, then Carl killed walker!Shane, and *then* we got a shot of the massive hoard of walkers descending on the farm. What an amazing and terrifying closing shot.

4. The Beach says:

Carol’s single-handed takedown of Terminus was one of my high points,

5. Lilly says:

These comments so far prove the point I was going to make: I don’t know how on earth you narrowed it down to just 10! Now, I know this show has had its issues. It has its boring episodes. But there are far too many astonishing “moments” to narrow it to 10. MAYBE 20 would have scratched the surface. Well done in the attempt, though, TVLine! I get freakin butterflies in my stomach every time I think about watching (facing) the season premiere on October 23!

• Ermagherd says:

At least it’s better than that outrageous spin-off, I gave that up in lets see…3 episodes maybe….!
      In any case, this show is the bomb and even during it’s lows it has still been faithful, I will always love it. And yea, I miss Hershal too, his death was disappointing.

• Allie says:

This! I tried so hard to watch and enjoy it and it did absolutely nothing for me. I fizzled on it. The heroin addicted kid is so annoying I just wanted him to die. The only thing I liked about it was that it was set in L.A. My hometown, so, of course that part is cool. I wish they’d swap casts and put TWD folks in L.A. and the L.A. folks in Georgia.

• Lilly says:

I’m still hanging in with FearTWD … though I’m one of those taking hits online for watching AND complaining! But, hey you’d really love Fear now … they moved out of California into Mexico … and just for kicks they’ve decided to be authentic and make us read subtitles half the time!

• Ermagherd says:

Nah, it looks really stupid. And maybe the main cast could vacation in LA with a few zombies but otherwise I think it would be stupid. The setting in Georgia is perfect, there’s something so old and deserted about it that fits in perfectly with the eerie storyline. I kinda had a feeling when they said it would be set in LA that it just wouldn’t work. I was looking forward to the spin off and when I watched it I was like; what on earth have those creators reduced themselves to? I was like, I hope Rick comes along and ‘mistakes’ the whole lotta them for zombies and blasts them. I know it’s in Mexico now, I was bored one night and caught like half an episode and it looked even more pathetic and distorted than the last time I saw it. Like it’s nuts really, hard to believe it’s even part of the same show. I think they should actually just rename it and let it float alone in the whole tv stratosphere, cut the ties with TWD you know? Kinda insulting to the actors on the original who worked so hard to get it to where it is today for this to come along and regurgitate a load of garbage in it’s wake. I hope you’re being sarcastic about loving it now. It’s like 2 seasons in and from what I’ve seen so far, the majority are giving in the thumbs down, I’m not really surprised. And the cast in TWD, omg they are legends!! Rick and Maggie have always been my favorites, nobody could ever beat a cast and actors like that.

6. MrMank says:

Not sure which ones I’d replace, but the two moments I would absolutely add were the first attack on the camp in season 1 (Amy getting bitten…OMG!!), and the final battle for the prison (I mean, you could make a top 10 from the moments in that scene alone)!

7. Wordsmith says:

For me, Sophia emerging from that barn will always be the iconic moment from this show.
    It was all of the things this show does well: cinematic, unexpected, macabre, and emotionally devastating. Seeing how it affected each of the characters there in that moment was a masterful piece of acting and editing.

• Lilly says:

Absolutely agree. I also noted at the time all those people who were so determined to open that barn door (while Rick was trying to respect Hershal’s wishes) were stunned to inaction when Sophia emerged. It was Rick who shot her. I always thought that was a classic example of Rick being the REAL leader of the bunch (at least at that time).

• cej says:

Yes! Love everything you said. That whole segment starting with Shane confronting Hershel about the “sick” neighbors, his opening the barn doors, Rick screaming at Hershel to take the walker he was holding so Rick could help, Maggie nodding to Glen that it was ok to go help kill the them and then finally Rick shooting walker Sophia when Shane couldn’t. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

8. Jess says:

Surely Carol’s Terminus take down should be on here? That was a huge moment. And then I’d also add the Carol and Daryl reunion, it was very memorable. And I think you’ll be needing to update the list when the season 7 premiere airs because the Lucille scene should be on it too.

• wrstlgirl says:

The Daryl/Carol reunion was a very sweet but honestly, I think Rick and Carol’s reunion was far better considering what went down between them. But, having said that, I don’t think either was grand enough to be in the top 10.

• wrstlgirl says:

and how can we forget Rick and Carl reuniting with a presumed dead Judith. Okay, I’ll stop now, could go on forever I think, lol.

• Jess says:

Well I think it’s all a matter of individual opinion. There are moments on this list that I think could have been bumped off for others. But the Daryl/Carol reunion was a highlight for a lot of people so that’s why I’d say it should be there somewhere. Basically, though, I think the list just needs to be longer. It’s too hard to come up with only 10 for six seasons worth of material.

9. Lauren says:

When Daryl first sees Zombie Merle should be on the list

• Allie says:

Yassss! That was so sad. I think Merle had potential to live on. I almost wish they had a Dixon Brothers spin off. I also think Rooker was the most realistic looking Zombie…something about his eyes made him look really scary and creepy. It shows what a great actor he is. I loved the Daryl/Merle scenes. Miss him.

10. Steve F. says:

Honorable menition: Dale’s death in Season 2. “Sorry, brother…”

11. SeanC says:

Terrible list. #10 was one of the cringiest moments on the show, #3 you’re showing yourself to be a basic fanboy #2 lol you gotta be joking #1 come on really? maybe it was a big deal in the comics but it was not a memorable or great moment on the show.

12. Carols’daughter walking out of the barn was the first real heart wrenching moment for me. I will never forget that scene. The second, when Daryl had to kill his brother.; cried at noth. Love the show!

13. Allie says:

Arghhhhhhh, I’m still so sad that Beth died. Daryl never gets any love and he’s over due to get a nice girl! Why was she killed!! They were so perfect together. I keep thinking there will be some weird twist that will let Beth come back. At least she lives on in fanfiction.

And, if AMC dares to kill off Daryl, I’m gone. I only watch for NR’s brilliant portrayal of Daryl.

• Gaara says:

Eww. Last I checked 40-year-old Daryl was not a piece of trash going after a 17 (or barely barely legal) year old. Disgusting.

14. Maggie says:

Hershel being beheaded should be in the top 10

15. Susan Lew says:

Carol and Daryl (plus Rick/Carl and Judith) reunion at Terminus, Hershel’s death… and I agree with others, Sophia walking out of the barn is closer to the top of the list!

16. Karen Murphy says:

I’d replace the governor 1 with the death of Hershel. That episode made me cry like a bby. Still miss him. Cannot wait for season 7!!!

17. Sakala Audrey says:

The most memorable moment was at the prison and how they migrated to Alexadria.

18. Walker 101 says:

Could have added Beth that moment got me good

19. Lisa says:

Hershel’s death should have been there. It was one of the most memorable for me.

20. tracy russo says:

Carol when she was cooking a casserole and the wolves came into Alexandra.Also her blowing up at Terminus. And Bob when the Terminus people were eatting his leg. Tainted meat! The death of Beth. Daryl blowing up some of Neegans people. The whole entire meeting everyone from the beginning to Rick and Glen….Rick finding Lori and Carl. To Carl getting his eye shot out to Ricks would be girlfriend getting ate by zombies.

21. How did Beth’s death not make the list??? That was way more traumatic than the Governor and Michonne’s fight, which shouldn’t even have made the list.