Arrow Recap Season 5

Arrow Premiere Recap: One-Man Show

Oliver Queen is burning the candle at both ends, as The CW’s Arrow let fly with Season 5 on Wednesday night.

In his role as “Mayor Handsome,” Ollie has been “sleepwalking” (as Thea puts it), late for meetings and appearances. And when he does show up, his thoughts aren’t always politically correct (such as when he lambasts the SCPD’s rampant corruption… in front of the SCPD). As Oliver explains to his sis, the office of mayor allows him access to actionable intel to employ in his other job. And if he’s slacking as a politico, it’s in part because Green Arrow has been going it alone even since Dig and Thea hit the bricks, in the wake of Laurel’s murder.

Felicity has been riding Oliver hard to bring in some new recruits — namely, “Wild Dog,” Evelyn Sharp (fka Wannabe Canary) and “Mr. Ski Goggles” (she’s still workshopping the name). But Oliver says nyet to the idea, holding onto the hope that he can get the old band back together. When Oliver gets word that Quentin Lance has slipped back into town, he finds the formerly top cop off the wagon, Donna-less (a fate we wish on no man) and morose. (“A drunk needs a reason to stay sober,” Lance notes, “and I’m fresh out, my friend.”)

While Oliver juggles his two worlds, a new criminal emerges — Tobias Church, a street tough who has left Hub City and Blüdhaven in his ruthless wake. He quickly lays down the law with SCPD’s dirty cops, before launching his plan to make his mark and “take down the biggest guy in the yard,” meaning Green Arrow. And to that end, his men crash the Black Canary statue dedication to take hostages, Mayor Queen included.

How Oliver extricates himself from that situation ties into the first of this season’s flashbacks, where Oliver has gone to Russia to make good on his promise to Taiana, to kill Constantine Kovar. Running afoul of a local gangster along the way, Oliver’s bacon is saved by Anatoly Knyazev, by way of a first painful lesson on how to dislocate one’s thumbs to free tied-up hands. Anatoly questions Oliver’s extremely circuitous path back home, sensing that he is avoiding his future by perpetuating the past. Anatoly cites a Russian saying, that “a shark that doesn’t swim drowns.” Meaning, Oliver needs to move forward (or “Always forward,” as Luke Cage might say) at some point — by the end of Season 5’s flashbacks, ideally! Anatoly warns Oliver that his mission against Kovar is a suicidal one, but the Bratva brotherhood can help him — if Oliver survives the punchy, kicky, stabby initiation.

Back in present-day Star City, Oliver uses Anatoly’s trick to escape his zip ties and — gulp — snap the neck of Church’s guard, in the name of protecting his secret. Thea, having begrudgingly suited up as Speedy, arrives on the scene to assist with his exfil, but they can’t grab the hostages yet due to explosive trip wires surrounding them, so they bolt. Back at the lair, Thea rips her brother for putting killing “back on the table.” Oliver counters that Malcolm was right all along, that Green Arrow must do what’s necessary or not be out there at all. (After all, had Oliver killed Damien Darhk when he had the chance, Laurel would still be alive.) Speaking of Laurel, Felicity reminds Oliver of the promise her made on her deathbed, and in flashback we see that she beseeched him, “Please don’t let me be the last Canary. That way, a part of me will always be out there with you.” Out by the Canary statue, Oliver unsuccessfully tries to reach Dig in Chechnya, before Lance arrives to offer a handful of cops Green Arrow can trust “to help in whatever way we can.”

Oliver coordinates with said cops to infiltrate where Church has the hostages, and the mission is largely successful — though Church gets away. Oliver is determined to stop the new baddie, so he leaps out a window and shoots a rappelling arrow into the getaway chopper. Climbing inside the bird, Green Arrow and Church slug it out, until the archer gets pushed out the open door. Luckily, Oliver has a nifty “parachute arrow” (!) to ease his landing. arrow-season-5-felicity-maloneBack at the lair, Oliver becomes amenable to the idea of adding new vigilantes — as well as Curtis, who took a beating while tracking Wild Dog — to the team. After, he finally connects via Skype with Dig, who agrees it’s a “good idea” to rebuild the team. When Dig asks if Oliver has any notion of “back to normal” with Felicity, the hero shrugs… while we see his ex-fiancee return to the loft at the end of a long day, to receive a welcome shoulder massage from new boyfriend Detective Billy Malone.

Then, in a final tag, we meet the other new adversary on tap for Season 5: the dark archer to be dubbed Prometheus, who takes out one of Lance’s “good” cops.

1. Mike says:

I thought it was a solid episode with lots of potential setup for the season! The only part that bothered me was the hype about Laurel’s “secret.” The payoff was rather lame. As a huge Felicity hater, she was back to the likable season 1 & 2 Felicity which was nice! I’m still curious about the Flashpoint ramifications on the team. Overall, it was a great premiere!

• tvloverSA says:

Was pretty happy with that I hope they keep that up and let her relationship be private so that she can be fully there with the team and not a distraction like the last two seasons.
      I hope Oliver gets his play boy thing nomore emotional connection was pretty happy with the killings also he had become very soft

• Jim says:

It was really solid but the last two seasons also started out really solid and then devolved into frustrating, unsatisfying messes. On another note, at least the stunts were high quality again. And hey, parachute arrow!

2. Quinten says:

Well then. It was better…but come on. Those were Laurel’s last words? I’m just so nervous they’re gonna try and make Felicity the new Canary which would be a terrible terrible decision. Beyond terrible. The only way I’m gonna be happy with them making another person the Black Canary is if it’s Black Siren or yet another Laurel Lance. I just hope Barry ends up messing with the timeline more and she ends up back alive by midseason. Sigh.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I recall us teasing the Laurel flashback over the summer and evvvveryyyyone saying, “Oh, but it was revealed in the Comic-Con trailer!”

;)

• Good to know they continue to disrespect Laurel even in her death. First that ugly ass statue that looks like no one on the design team ever laid eyes on Katie Cassidy and then having her give Oliver permission to hand her mantel over to Fefe on a silver platter (like everything gets handed to Fefe) when they put her through hell to earn it in the first place.

• ash says:

This is my greatest fear, I would HATE that. That kind of decision would be a major deal breaker for me.

3. Jeff hunter says:

Loved this Show Tonight it felt like an ode to season one;on a side note,sorry to sound a perv but for those of us with a Foot fetish Miss Small finally showed “the goods”, again sorry for sounding like a perv but it was good that it happen…I’ll shut up now!jeff

4. Sil says:

I liked it. It set up a lot for the season to expound on. The fight scenes were like in season 1. I like Oliver as he was in season 1. Good to see Diggle but in the last 3 minutes.

5. french5851 says:

The new bf turns out to be a bad guy, right?

• stacy030 says:

I would put money one it.

• Elizabeth says:

That’s the vibe I totally got.

• kath says:

Pretty sure he stays a good guy.
      Da^^, I hope this is Flashpoint and not the real timeline.

• kath says:

Then Felicity is going to look like an idiot for being with him.
      They must hate Felicity this season, to make her look shallow for moving on from Oliver so fast, and to pick an evil guy to do it with.

• Elizabeth says:

But it’s the one kind of guy she hasn’t dated yet. I’m not saying I like the decision but it’s possible. Also there’s no reason to talk about all the corruption in the dept. and the only guy who we’ve “met” dies and he’s a good guy. There has to be someone else we know who’s bad.

• Befastordontbe says:

You do remember she’s the one that walked out on him right? You do remember she moved onto Ray in less time when she was still supposedly in love with Oliver and not mad at him, right?

I mean if moving on with a dude after 6 months makes her look shallow, how does moving on with Ray in like a month make her look?

• lurk says:

Oliver said he would never be with her, and didn’t want a life outside the hood. Felicity told him she wasn’t going to stay around and watch him die. Was she supposed to put her life on hold when he told her they would never be together? What year do you think this is?

• kath says:

Oliver dumped Felicity in episode 3×1, after an incomplete first date.
          She got together with Ray in 3×18, which aired in March, six months later.

• bob says:

most likely watch makes his job to know more about the green arrow easier getting close to her

6. Drew says:

I didn’t mind doing tonight’s flashback at all. In fact, I wish you had a poll about, as I’m curious what others thought. Maybe it’s because we know we’re nearing the end of them, but I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out that Ollie makes the decision to finally return from the dead in these flashbacks.

7. QueenB says:

Those were her last words?! I can’t

8. Gina says:

Was that scene with the baseball bat a little nod to Chad Colemans TWD stint? Or coincidence?

9. kath says:

I enjoyed it until the last few minutes. Then they lost me.
    The fights were good and it’s nice to see determined Oliver again. The flashbacks were great. I love Tobias Church and Paul Blackthorne knocked it out of the park.
    =
    The bad:
    Enough of What Would Laurel Do. If you’ve forgotten, Laurel was the one always trying to kill people – the gf abuser, the cop, Komodo — and Oliver had to keep stopping her.
    Good to see that Thea is as self-centred as always.
    =
    The worst:
    Not only giving Felicity a new boyfriend, but introducing him just as Oliver is hopeful they may get back together. BAD HACK WRITING.
    The Moonlighting Curse was not because the couple got together but because the writers then broke them up again and gave them new love interests.
    =
    Unless I hear that Felicity’s new boyfriend is a result of Flashpoint, I think I’ll skip the next bunch of episodes.

• Ars041 says:

This small portion you didn’t like is not a reason to stop watching plus if you keep up with the show you knew it was coming ahead of time. Give her new bf a chance before passing a verdict

• kath says:

The boyfriend is so obviously temporary, I’ll just wait until I hear it’s all over.
        I’m disappointed in the writing. There are better, more creative ways to keep Oliver and Felicity apart than this tired old trope. Hated it on every show from ER to Castle to Murdoch Mysteries when the show would put the couple with other love interests just to keep them apart. It ruined my enjoyment of the rest of the show.

I’ll catch up with Diggle and Tobias Church and Curtis and Lance when I don’t have to rage at the boyfriend any more. Not really that interested in the new team..

10. wgsecretary says:

OK, I admit that I am not someone who religiously follows Arrow. I watch it, but mostly because I watch Flash and Legends. I also watch Supergirl, which will fit into the Arrowverse now. But, can someone refresh my memory as to why Diggle is back on active military duty? I think I missed that part.

11. datdudemurphy says:

That was the most I’ve enjoyed Arrow in a long while…..looks like it may be a return to form.

Looking forward to the season now.

12. Arrow lover says:

I think I remember Stephen Amell giving an interview a few months ago and he mentioned that there would be a very good looking man this season that fans feel they can trust. He said the character ends up being a bad guy. I am wondering if it is Felicity’s new boyfriend!

13. The Carpooler says:

I remember when Stephen presented the “end of the wig” a few seasons ago. Looks like he’s back in it, at least for a while, in this year’s flashbacks. Bwahaha.

I enjoyed the episode a lot.

14. Deborah says:

SPOILERS follow.
    Great premiere. The excitement was back tonight. I have missed the Oliver/Arrow episodes where he is fighting on his own. There is a darkness and a grittiness the show always had before Oliver assembled his band of merry men. The entire kidnapping sequence was terrific. From the moment Oliver was taken, the show was alive. Seeing Oliver stand up to Church and his henchman while sitting tied to a chair and being able to make threats that sound and look credible is a particular strength of Amell’s. Loved the moment where he tells Anton Church he’s stupid. Loved the moment when Oliver showed his hands (unbound), it was exciting in a way I haven’t seen in a while… as surprising and exciting as the parkour moment in season 1 pilot where I went, “oh my gosh, I can’t believe that just happened”. It’s the reason I signed on to watch Arrow. Tonight’s show (minus hospital scene) had all of that again. The show was so alive that when Ollie was fighting Church in the helicopter there was a moment I really thought he would throw Church out of it. I was on the edge of my seat. A terrific first episode.

I hope the writers and show runner will let things rest on Oliver solo more consistently this season. I like seeing Oliver unleashed – being a force to be reckoned with. Seeing him backed against a wall and letting him do his thing is what made Arrow – reminded me of Season 1 & 2.

I’m only worried with the push from Felicity and Diggle to recruit, recruit more ‘help’, we won’t get to see the Oliver/Arrow-centric episodes for long. The group supehero dynamic of Season 3 & 4 might be tempting with those big time group choreographed action sequences, but IMO they can’t hold a candle to the suspense of Amell on his own. This premiere has me wanting more of that! One can hope.

15. That was a solid A- episode.Barring a few things,pretty pumped up for season 5.I actually liked this a whole lot better than the flash premiere.

16. Tehneiyat J Macci says:

Ugh they gave Felicity boyfriend so fast she is suppose to get over engagement and the strike just like that in 5 months by being with someone and so serious that staying at her house ughhh..Other then everything else was great

17. 134sc says:

Even the most jaded ARROW fan has got to admit that was a great episode.

18. Lori says:

Yesss , the Arrow I loved from season 1 is back so far. This was a great episode ,Church seems like a formidable villain. They got me hooked back on the show.

19. Agent 86 says:

Wow. They’re really determined to destroy any remaining respect for or credibility of Laurel Lance’s character aren’t they?

I’m kind of baffled that the team of people behind Arrow are so tone deaf that they thought having Laurel declare her undying love for Oliver on her death bed, while simultaneously revealing that her primary motivation for being the Black Canary was to be close to Oliver, jump on board the “Olicity” wagon as endgame and champion her replacement as “Black Canary” with another character, is in any way appropriate or sensible.

20. Sharon Mulloy says:

Loved the parachute error. Reminded me why I loved the Green Arrow when I picked up my first JLA comic some decades ago

21. Eric J. says:

Was it just me or did the poor police officer – who got killed st the end by Promethius – look almost identical to Felicity’s new boyfriend?????? It’s racking my mind!!!

22. Gerri says:

Arrow did not disappoint. I thought this was a good season opener. Everything Stephen said it was going to be was spot on. I am a huge fan. The Russian scenes were badass. It was great seeing the OTA characters again. I just couldn’t see felicity with someone other than Oliver in the loft. I am sorry if by saying this I upset a few. Tobias Church is a good addition. Looking forward to the next episode. On another note, IGN gave them a 7.2 rating that is so wrong, I don’t know what they were watching.

23. Joey Padron says:

Season premiere was so good. Good start to season 5. Happy to have the show back!

24. Dee says:

This was a great season premiere!! And I too was shocked/thrilled to see the parachute arrow!

25. lordofluck says:

I just hate how there is another archer as a bad guy, there are so many archers that it is getting ridiculous.

26. Red Snapper says:

It was a solid premiere. I can’t wait until the band gets back together though. I don’t mind them adding a few more or running some sort of vigilante training school. I don’t know how long they can maintain the Oliver trying to balance his duties as the Green Arrow and the Mayor. It’ll get old fast, at least for me. The flashbacks don’t seem like they will be as annoying as the last couple of seasons but that could change. I am hopeful about the season so far.

A couple of questions/thoughts about Flashpoint. Do we know how the timelines match up between The Flash and Arrow? Like are they running concurrently or is one ahead of the other? If so then there could still be ramifications from Flashpoint across the other shows. Maybe Arrow hasn’t reached the point in time when Barry comes back or something like that. I’m hoping for something along those lines otherwise there was a lot of wasted potential in using Flashpoint. They either way over-hyped it or its some sort of red herring leading up to the mass crossover event. Which I am still hoping to be some sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths event. I wouldn’t be that disappointed in it if they had called it something else but the whole point of it is that it changes the universe.

27. John NYC says:

“Until they’ve gotten some clarity for themselves, there’s not much room for the relationship side of things at the moment. But we’ll see where it goes.””

The relationship side of things seemed quite cozy as a matter of fact. But, sure, three could be a crowd as the saying goes.

28. The best part of the episode, Davied Nykill from Stargate. Atlantis was in the episode. I almost didn’t notice him

29. K.D.S. says:

The bad guy in this episode reminded me of Negan from TWD.

30. dancmh says:

Felicity is 100% dating Prometheus. It’s the CW. Prometheus will kill the boyfriend before winter break only for it to be revealed in an end scene that Prometheus actually was the boyfriend. Think Zoom/Jay without the flashy blue lightning.

31. btm says:

Really entertaining episode. They kept the ‘ship to a minimum, inclusive of angst, and there was a lot of solo Arrow, with someone other than Felicity acting as conscience/foil (Thea). Best of all, they have returned the protagonist to the point where he is a morally flawed hero. Much of what made the first season great was in that premiere.
    There was just the right amount of Diggle and Felicity, I thought. Both are excellent secondary support characters, but I’m not as much of a fan when the show puts them front and center. They can have Lance chew as much scenery as they want, though, since he’s always stellar.
    Sadly, the show will lose a lot of its season one vibe when it shifts to the recruitment montages, which are poised to start in episode two. The show has rarely benefited from adding characters, particularly more vigilantes, to the mix.
    The Bratva flashbacks are shaping up to be really good this year. Flashbacks are not inherently terrible; it depends entirely on the story lines. This taut story line looks like it will serve the present-day plot nicely and is therefore interesting.

• Rob Watkins says:

Agreed about the flashbacks. I like it as storytelling device, and this season since they have a checklist, I think there’s a good chance for them to craft a story that hits all those beats instead of the past two seasons where the number of flashbacks gave us what amounted to very little. Plus, I have an affinity for Arrow’s take on Anatoli/KGBeast.

32. Sean says:

Over/under on how long it take to reveal that Billy Malone is Prometheus, or working with him?

33. I’m seeing a lot of brats in the comments section.
    “There shouldn’t be a new BC! Bring Laurel back!”
    “Felicity has a new boyfriend too soon! Bring back Olicity!”
    And we only just had the premiere.
    Those of you who are outright whining make the rest of your respective fandoms look like entitled brats. Not a good look.

34. Luis says:

A. MORE TRICK ARROWS!!!!!!!!!!!
    B. Will the writers unmask Felicity’s boyfriend as one of Church’s bad cops within in the first four episodes, or will they drag it out so we get one of those REALLY GOOD Felicity cry faces from EBR?
    C. You just knew the lesson Oliver would draw from the end of last season is that he never should have stopped killing people.
    D. I’m most interested to find out how Thea is going to evolve over the course of the season. She’s always been the most underrated character on the show to me and I hope the writers bring some focus to her development over the course of the season.

35. brenna says:

An excellent episode. I’m so glad Arrow is back. The best action scenes are always the ones with the focus on Stephen Amell. Loved the trick arrow with the parachute.

36. BenM says:

I loved it. The first time I’ve looked forward to the next episode of arrow in a long time. I won’t go so far as to say it felt like season 2,but it was close. I hope they can keep it up! More heroics + +more fights – forced CW melodrama = my dream come true for this show.

37. Dmac says:

So, Felicity is so distressed she finds herself another boyfriend???

38. Terry Auxier says:

i can’t believe felicity is dating how could you get over a guy so quickly? hate that part but LOVED all the rest. so glad arrow is killing again. hate to see bad guys get away

39. Nikki says:

Am I the only person who thinks there’s a possibility that Prometheus is Tommy? I mean he did die with the building crashing on him but Sara died too and she came back. Considering the seasons theme of Legacy, I can’t shake the idea of Tommy being the new villain. Coming back to rain all hell on Oliver for Laurel dying last season; wouldn’t that be perfect?

40. Sarah says:

Loved all the fight scenes, it felt honestly like one of their better episodes in a long time. I do wish we could do without all the relationship drama that inevitably happens. Just stick Felicity with Oliver already and let everyone move on.

• Tara says:

I agree!! Just stick Felicity with Oliver, it’ll be nice to see them survive through everything, anything as marry couple :)

41. Clau says:

Apart from the fact that I’m totally not liking the new boyfriend apparently living in the loft… Hello? Since when is Felicity moving so fast? For one
    Also, he’s a detective? Felicity’s a smart girl, did she never even entertain the possibility that that guy might be with her for other reason than liking?
    Just saying. By now she’s not exactly hiding that she’s working with the Arrow.

Otherwise, good episode.
    And I was never completely against killing. If it’s necessary, do it. Not like he ever killed good people.

42. I am not Olicity fan but EBR I am hers I dont want her to be Black Canary either and I have written to Arrows Writers Room because I feel Felicity deserves her own idenity with all the hatred that people has throwed at EBR and her character she deserves something better than what she has been getting I like that Felicity has a new boyfriend and I hope she will leave TA an stay away from Oliver and Diggle only because EBR gets blamed for everything that the Arrow show and people can find to blame her for and she dont write the show i really hope that she excepts the offer from Agents of Shield after her contract is over with Arrow