Vice-Presidential Debate Winners Losers

Vice Presidential Debate Results: 13 Obvious Winners and Losers

Vice presidential candidates Tim Kaine and Mike Pence squared off in their first (and only!) televised debate Tuesday, and even though this face-off didn’t come with its own Will & Grace revival episode, it still made for a memorable 90 minutes of television.

And while you’re free to debate over which potential VP “won” Tuesday’s big event, Team TVLine is — as always — shining a light on some of the evening’s subtler winners and losers. Moderator Elaine Quijano, the late Ronald Reagan and even Donald Trump’s nemesis Rosie O’Donnell have all (somehow) earned spots on our list.

Browse TVLine’s gallery of winners and losers from Tuesday’s debate, then drop a comment with your own thoughts below.

1. Daya says:

If I had to select a book…er…VP by its cover, I would go with Tim Kaine. He looks like he should be on a classic sitcom like Mama’s Family or something.

(With this election, we should all have a little comedy in our lives each day–that’s my PSA!)

• Lange says:

It’s like Washington had a popularity contest and no one won. Kaine comes off as a jerk like the pool hustler in My Cousin Vinny. Pence comes across as Casper Milquetoast. Trump is a petulant bully and Hillary is a shrike. The comedy comes in with the smooth and persuasive Bill Clinton turning into a loose cannon. Loved how he totally trashed Obamacare.

2. Scott says:

Mike Pence won HUGE

• Temperance says:

Pence never even had a chance. Gah… he lied (poorly) fro start to end.

• “PENCE” FULL OF WISDOM…… OUR BELOVED VICE PRESIDENT MICHAEL “Mike” PENCE THANK YOU! GOD BLESS YOU-WE LOVE YOU!

GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST! ABBA FATHER WE ARE FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR YOUR GREAT LOVE & KINDNESS THAT ENDURES FOREVER*******BLESSING US PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP & VICE PRESIDENT MICHAEL “Mike” PENCE. WITH YOUR ANOINTING AND BY YOUR POWER THEY WILL BRILLIANTLY LEAD AMERICA TO SAFETY-PROSPERITY AND GREATNESS AGAIN! HALLELUYAH, IN JESUS NAME! VICTORY IS OURS!…….
        For the LORD our GOD is the ONE Who Goes with you to Fight for you Against your enemies to Give you VICTORY. Deuteronomy 20:4
        So do not fear, for I AM with you;do not be dismayed, for I AM your GOD. I WILL strengthen you and help you; I WILL uphold you with MY RIGHTEOUS RIGHT HAND. Isaiah 41:10
        “It’s not by might nor by power, but by MY SPIRIT Says the LORD Almighty” Zechariah 4:6

• Mary says:

If you mean he won because he didn’t explode like his clueless running mate, then yes I guess in your eyes he might have. Funny though he never did defend his candidate, that in itself was telling. I will say that Kaine might have interrupt a few times but honestly he had valid points which Pence couldn’t answer. Donald is bad enough but sorry anyone who would vote for someone who is clearly a bigot speaks loudly on what type of person they are. Pence forgot that in the US we have what you call separation of Church and state. Kaine was right on in saying why don’t you trust Women to make their own decision and Pence had no response – I wish Kaine had the opportunity to question Pence on his LGBT just to see his head spin.

• CommonSense says:

Please try to be objective and consider ALL of the issues. You may enjoy the movie “Hillary’s America” as well. I learned a lot about American politics for the past 200 yrs that most do not know. Very enlightening. I think Donald is used to speaking his mind and is not a polished politician. He stands for strengthening America…period. He may not be a silver tongued politician (that we are used to), but I believe his heart is where it needs to be right now. Our country is in serious trouble and if we continue down this path , the freedoms we enjoy may become a thing of the past. $20 Trillion in debt is the most troubling issue that plagues our nation…and security of course, not lgbt, healthcare, etc…social issues should be addressed after our country is strong again. He must be willing to sacrifice a bit personally (less free handouts), for the sake of our children and grand children’s futures. Let the

• Mary says:

Sorry wouldn’t waste my time on watching a film by a criminal alt right producer. Speaking your mind is one thing, demoralizing certain groups of people is another. What you call unpolished politician I call lack of human decency and quite frankly it shows how incompetent he is on the issues. You do realize that ALL citizens are entitled to that so call freedoms you think we are losing and for you to say that it shouldn’t be addressed is unbelievable. Did you watch the debate last night? if you are worry about the debt only,both policies would cost us but Trump’s would cost us more. You talk about sacrifices but sorry Trump has made none whatsoever yet his policy benefits only the top 1%. Do you honestly believe it is fair that millionaires pay little to no taxes yet the average citizen does? Sorry something wrong with that picture. Security – you can kick out all illegal immigrants and Muslims and you still won’t be safe. Have people forgot about the McVeigh, Roach, Lenza the list goes on. I have consider ALL the issues and I want a knowledgeable President who acts like a sane rational individual. I want a President to have a calm demur in times of crisis and not spew out BS before all facts are known. I for one do not think Trump is that great of a businessman. Many Entrepreneur have not screwed the everyday workers or for that matter file bankruptcy 5 times to get out of paying their debt. He might have you snowed but sorry I can see past the smoke and mirrors.

• Temperance says:

Nonsense. Trump has very little upstairs to speak. He has a rather severe mental illness, and you;re confusing ‘speaking your mind’ for ‘blathering whatever crosses your mind’. He flip-flops on virtually every issue from hour to hour. Seriously. He has no coherent point of view or plan, and he really is completely ignorant on virtually every topic a president need to know. He DOESN’T READ. If that doesn’t terrify you, you have a deep problem tha need to be addressed.

3. Lala says:

Kaine..YES!

4. parstl says:

Caine did the most for his ticket this year while Pence made a case for his leadership of his party in the future.

• Coop says:

The only thing Kaine has done for the Democratic ticket is help secure Virginia. He was a boring “safe pick” for VP, which was exactly the right decision by Clinton given who her opponent is.

• Mary says:

Kaine is spelled with a K not C. Pence wouldn’t stand a chance in H..l if he ever wanted to run for President in years to come. He would have only the religious conservative vote and sorry not enough of them. If people really did research and learn about this man view he wouldn’t get past the primary.

5. Davidj says:

It pains me to say, but I think Pence won the debate. Kaine reminded me too much of an excited little puppy and did way too much interrupting, even if ultimately he was right in most of what he was saying about Trump.

But Pence appeared so much more calm and professional that I’m afraid that’s all most people will remember in the end.

• Temperance says:

Pence lied from beginning to end – that’s all I remember. You can’t elect a pathological liar and an anti-American bigot, no matter how creepily eerily calm he was.

• Swear says:

So you not voting for Hillary…..

• Temperance says:

Why wouldn’t I? I don’t drink FOXwash. There is only one actual alternative to ensure the mad man doesn’t take office.

• Jesse says:

“You can’t elect a pathological liar…” Umm… well, the majority of the US voted for Obama TWICE!

• Whatevah8 says:

And I’d vote for him a 3rd time if I could. I remember the nightmare Obama had to deal with after Bush waived bye-bye from his helicopter.

• Freedomlover says:

“Temperance”- sounds like you’ve been drinking a again!! Kaine tossed out some real whoppers about hillbillery’s “charity” (which Pence correctly stated gave less than 10 percent). Kaine was a typical media talking point determined to drown out any opposition by volume, not truth. Lets hope truth wins out in the end.

• Mary says:

Do your own research regarding the foundation not Fox news. Pence lied it wasn’t less than 10%. Do a little research about Trump’s foundation if you dare to really open your eyes. Only one candidate has been caught with pay to play and I will give you a clue it wasn’t the Women.

• Elf says:

The Clinton Foundation has an A+ rating from Charity Watch. The details are all easily available at Politifact. Then again, I’ve found that Trump supporters don’t seem to care about facts if they conflict with their preconceived notions.

By the way, that 10% figure refers to money the Clinton Foundation gives away to other charities as grants. The Clinton Foundation itself provides most of its charitable services directly, which accounts for the bulk of their spending. Only 12% of the money spent by the foundation goes towards overhead, salaries and fundraising, an excellent figure for any charity.

• Mimi says:

THIS

I loss all respect for him when we watched him lie to us repeatedly on national TV for the benefit of Donald Trump. It was a sad day for him and the Republican party. I am so upset that the Republican party and our country have allowed us to be dragged in the mud by Trump.

6. pence makes a WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY better candidate than Donald Dipstick
    not saying he could win or that i would vote for him just that he should be the top spot over his running…..living organism

• just want to add that in my opinion it was a draw between them

• Mary says:

I agree about the draw, but I really didn’t expect much from the VP debates. Pence has a better demeanor than Trump but there is no way I would want him to be President. That is another clear reason not to vote for TP, if heaven forbid the fool is elected and something happens we would be stuck with this A+ bigot.

7. Temperance says:

Pence (the Cryptkeeper) pretty much bald-faced (and very unconvincingly) lied from beginning to end. They weren’t even good lies. He lied about Trump not saying something Clinton has been showing in an ad campaign, where – completely in context! Both of the companies I work for dropped their Indiana vendors over Pense’s bigoted, anti-American laws and they won’t take any new bids from the state until those laws are reversed. Frankly, he’s a revoltingly amoral human being.

• Elf says:

Yeah, someone new to politics this year would think that Pence had no idea who his running mate actually was and what he’s said. his continued denial about what Trump and he himself had said would be comedic if the situation weren’t so important.

8. datdudemurphy says:

Based on tonight, the GOP should have gone with Pence as their presidential nominee.

He came across very poised, calm, professional, and far more intelligent than that clown running mate of his.

Kaine….he disappointed me. In the past he’s come across much better. Tonight, he reminded me of a Democrat version of Donald Trump.

• Angela says:

Yeah, I appreciate Kaine’s eagerness to try and call Pence out on his BS, but the constant interruptions were annoying when Trump did them in the first presidential debate. Kaine should’ve just calmed down and waited his turn.
      I said this elsewhere, but I felt for the poor moderator. I think she did a good job of trying to keep the questions balanced between the two men, but my god, how many times did they both talk over her?

• Steven says:

datdudemurphy, your picture is my face after the debate.

• BM says:

You do realize that how someone looks or comes across is only secondarly to what they are saying and doing, right? And what Pence said or did (as Governor) isn’t really better than what comes out of Trump’s mouth. Pence might not start WWIII, so yeah, world, but I’d hate to be LBGTQ or female/a non-white male in a Pence adminstration. Scary thought.

• Temperance says:

Judging on everyday, the GOP has gone so far off the deep end, they’re nominating the insane and the religious extremists of the worst flavor. It’s horrifying.

• Elf says:

You’re hilarious Nora. And delusional. Please, come over to the real world. We have cocoa. And there are no threats of eternal damnation.

• JScout says:

Again, Nora. You’re looney and no one wants to hear about your religion.

• Temperance says:

Yes, a moral-free liar that looks like a villainous mortician from a horror movie is very impressive. NOT. He literally LIED for 90 minutes. That’s not Christ-like.

• datdudemurphy says:

The GOP are definitely out of touch with society…..

But, the article wasn’t asking “who won everyday?”
        The article was about the debate tonight, and in the debate tonight, Pence came across much better.

• Temperance says:

If ‘better’ means ‘creepy and deluded’, perhaps. Of course, the 90 minutes of lying might have had a real impact on Pence’s (poor) performance.

• datdudemurphy says:

I didn’t get “creepy” at all.
            Possibly deluded….but I took that as him desperately trying to cover for Drumpf.
            Kaine came off as childish and antagonistic.
            Pence seemed comparatively mature and calm.

I get that you don’t like Pence, but his performance was better….This doesn’t mean I want him or his running mate to be anywhere near a government office of any kind.
            I’m basing my opinion solely on the performances of that night.

9. Angela says:

LOL, yeah, I got a real kick out of Pence trying to downplay or deny Trump’s weird interest in Russia and Putin. That was interesting.
    Regarding other topics in the debate, of course Pence won’t be able to defend Trump not paying taxes. ‘Cause then he and his Republican buddies would have to take that “lazy moochers getting around the system” attitude they have towards poor people and apply it to the rich guy for a change. Also, when Trump finds himself on food stamps, or trying to decide whether to pay rent, medical bills, or heat, then we’ll talk about him “struggling”.
    And regarding Pence’s whole thing about “a culture of life” when he was talking about the issue of abortion, hopefully that means he’ll support gun control measures as well, so we don’t have to hear more stories about children being shot and killed in school. Right?

10. the media has already declared who is the winner… however the viewers are entitled to their own and looks like Assange will earlier than Nov8th..

11. N!loofar says:

Pevne was better in debate style

12. So Happy says:

Pence performed with class and dignity. Kaine interrupted and was name calling just like he called Trump out for.

• Temperance says:

You can’t have ‘class and dignity’ while lying out all dozen sides of your mouth.

• TV Gord says:

I have to laugh at Pence and the supporters of his side when they claim Clinton and Kaine are hurling insults. All they are doing is repeating Trump’s words back to them. They DO sound ugly when you hear them, don’t they?

• Mary says:

I don’t know if it is class or dignity when all he did was smirk or laugh when Kaine pointed out Trump’s own words and yet never defend any of them. If this man really believe in what Trump stands for he should have had no trouble defending him. Umm maybe that should be the clue that he just wants to be on the ride but doesn’t really agree with him.

• Temperance says:

If ‘class and dignity’ means ‘creepy and deluded’, perhaps. Of course, the 90 minutes of lying might have had a real impact on Pence’s (poor) performance.

13. peterwdawson says:

Don’t like Pence at all but he held his own. I went into this debate basically thinking of them both to turn on the bland and while they did Kaine probably should have calmed down a bit, it seemed like shotgunned a taurine drink or something.

14. CK says:

If we are judging on future presidential ambitions and style, Pence won. Pence has cemented his place as the frontrunner in 2020, if Trump/Pence loses. However, his inability to defend Trump and his approach of saying that “xyz” didn’t happen only hurts Trump. Outside of Kaine interrupting, it was the most glaring part of the debate and only invites constant coverage of Trump actually saying the things that Mike Pence said he didn’t. He also raised/shifted the bar on substance for his candidate. At times it felt like in the absence of stated Trump policy on issues, he introduced his own. In terms of readiness to be Commander-in-Chief, he upstaged his candidate and set a bar that he’s shown he’s not capable of competing at. I think Donald Trump will notice these things and since he does follow news coverage, I do think the sentiment that Pence was setting himself up for 2020 is going to get to him and I don’t think he’s going to react well to that.
    Kaine did what a VP needed to do. He defended his candidate and he didn’t create an unfavorable contrast to his candidate. He lost the battle, but I think he will win the war.

At the end of the day, voters will decide because of Clinton/Trump and their debates. I think Hillary is going to outperform what Kaine did tonight easily. I don’t believe that Trump is going to outperform Pence. Unlike Pence, he’s going to defend himself and that is when he starts to unravel. When he is asked about Alicia Machado or the Khans or birtherism, he is going to relitigate them because he believes he was right/wants to win on that subject.

15. Greg says:

I am disapp ointed that Kaine bragged about Hillary helping to kill Bin Laden. Unfortunately no one mentioned her role in Bengazi where American lives were lost. No American should vote with out watching the movie 13 hrs. Also every Clinton supporter should watch Clinton Cash, and Hillary’s America. the bias of the media drives me absolutely insane. Kaine keeps referring to Trumps taxes we all know he is on the up-and-up if not the IRS would have gotten him a long time ago. name one American that pays more taxes than they’re supposed to or have to. criticize Trump about illegal aliens coming into our country. Watch the show Border Wars. Clinton wants to bash Trump about the things he said 20 years ago to a pageant winner. What about the things she said about the women that mr. Clinton was having affairs with. as a lawyer mrs. Clinton Bragg about getting a client off for raping a child, said she knew he was guilty. talks about how she supports women and their rights but accepts donations from countries that treat women inhumanely just to advance her position politically and financially. Wake up America we all live in the biggest business in the world, it’s called the United States of America. It should be ran by a professional businessman not a backsliding fake lifetime politician and before you have any comments on what I have to say watch those movies and that show and see if your opinion stays the same. by the way Pence won in a landslide regardless of what the biased media wants to say

• AMEN! “PENCE” FULL OF WISDOM…… OUR BELOVED VICE PRESIDENT MICHAEL “Mike” PENCE THANK YOU! GOD BLESS YOU-WE LOVE YOU!

• Cat says:

That’s only because the true Mike Pence wasn’t on show, the one who wanted to pass a law to make women pay for their aborted children; the one who thinks all gay people can be ‘cured’ by conversion therapy and while he talks about adoption instead of abortion then wouldn’t allow gay people to adopt. No person should have a right to tell a person what they can and can’t do to their body. I personally would never have an abortion and yes I think partial birth abortions should be illegal but a women should have the right to choose to go through a pregnancy or not.

• Mary says:

That is because Pence knew it is a non issue because she was not responsible for their deaths. He read and understood the final findings, even though it is obvious Trump and his supporters cannot comprehend. How come Pence couldn’t answer the moderator’s question about home grown terrorist. Maybe you should do some actual research beside Fox news and alt right sights. Maybe you should understand the constitution. Like it or not ALL even criminals have the right to an attorney. Attorneys are sometimes force to defend even if they know their client is guilty. Your right America does need to wake up and get educated. Sorry the government is not a business, they are not in it to make a profit that is where your misconception lies. Trump, which is questionable about his business savy, cannot walk away because he thinks it is a bad deal. If you see nothing wrong about him not paying Federal taxes when the rest of us have do, then you are fooling yourself that he is for the American people. Your right deductions are allowed but his tax plan won’t change any of the loopholes, in fact the only ones who are going to profit are the top 1%. People who don’t understand history are doomed to repeat it. Reagan trickle down economy didn’t work then and guess what it won’t work now.

• elf says:

Greg, there were 13 attacks on U.S. Embassies under GWB with over 60 lives lost. Did you demand that Condeleeza Rice be prosecuted with the same maniacal zeal you have for Clinton and Benghazi? And clearly even after nine Republican witch hunts to smear her, they couldn’t find a single thing that could have been done better under the circumstances, but you know better than congressional investigators, don’t you?

You’re going to blame Clinton for doing her job as a lawyer? Are you not familiar with the sixth amendment? Everyone, repeat EVERYONE is entitled to the best defense available. And she never bragged about it, that’s a gross exaggeration by the knuckle dragging right.

The videos you’re referring to are laughable and discredited amateur hack jobs.

And America is NOT a big business. To try to run it as one would be a disaster. Your man Trump says he’s smart because he avoided paying taxes. If he was so smart then he would not have lost a billion dollars in a single year to begin with. There’s no way we can trust a man who relies on declaring bankruptcy and not paying for services rendered to run the country’s finances. He has spent no time in public service and knows nothing about how the government works.

The only place that Pence won last night is in style. He gets the style points, hands down. But on content he lost by a mile. He consistently denied things that Trump and he himself are clearly on record as having said, as if he doesn’t even know who his running mate is.

16. Kaine was so annoying with his constant interruptions and canned one liners. Also, can any politician ever answer a question directly without deflecting or attacking the other candidate? Finally, when did it become so bad for candidates to actually admit they agree on something? It’s not like they are 2 aliens from different planets. Hell, the more common ground they (and we) can find, the better.

• Temperance says:

The Golden Retriever was just that. The Cryptkeeper was creepy and lied the entire time. It was just as we expected.

17. Bright says:

Tim Kaine was more composed as Pence looked rattled with questions and was looking not prepared. Pence was always staggering to proffer solutions. Inadequate preparation. He also took to his boss high temperament.

18. Donna Dougherty says:

Debate was hard to watch. Left the room when they were all three talking at the same time!
    Popped in an out for most of it. Pence was very poised most of the time. A calm, controlled temperament that would give me confidence with a nuclear button.

• Temperance says:

A creepy clam is important when the guy fully support anti-American values like the ability of patent to torture their children is ok? Because you know, he wants to remove your rights unless they service the Christian religion. You do know that, right? The very last person aside from the deeply mentally ill (like Trump) you want to give the ‘button’ to is a deeply frightening religious zealot like Pence. He’s just another flavor of Hamas.

19. Sean says:

Pence won – hands down. Kaine looked like a petulant child, constantly interrupting and looked foolish. The moderator looked like a paid representative from the Clinton campaign.

• Temperance says:

Pence lost before he arrived. And once he did, he just badly and brutally lied the entire time. He’s creepy, anti-American values, and a rather astonishing serial liar.

20. Patrick Nicks says:

Kaine,is talking facts, Pence can deliver hardly defending his Boss

21. Coop says:

Pence won the debate comfortably. Unfortunately for him, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. VP debates don’t matter.

• elf says:

Pence won on style. He lost HUGE on content.

• News Hound says:

Pence’s content would have been a lot stronger if he’d had the questions in advance like Hillary and Kaine. It’s easier to repeat practiced answers than come up with ex tempore responses.

22. Simon Jester says:

Seriously, why isn’t “We all lost” one of the poll options?

23. Bryan says:

This was not a debate. This was two “politicians” not being able to give eachother time to talk, a moderator who lost control, resulting in a chaotic cacophony all too often.

No one won, but who lost? America.

24. dru mont says:

If you vote for the Trump/Pence, you will be voting for anti-LGBTQ legislation. The Supreme Court will be packed with rightwing extremists. We will live in a theocracy. Pence is a borderline Christian terrorist.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Oh grow the hell up. You people have been squawking about the “coming theocracy” since the early 80s!

• Collette says:

And if Hillary wins we will see even mid-sized cities and towns become war zones and ghettoes. The out of control gravy train needs to be brought to a screeching halt. Bringing in millions of refugees and allowing illegals to stay and granting them rights to benefits from a system they’ve never paid into is suicide. It has to stop.

• Mary says:

You do realize that many of the Americans who received benefits haven’t contribute either right? Sorry but your analogy doesn’t fly because as you so elegantly put it ghettos have existed through out time and the reason for many of them is inequality. I know you all like to blame Obama and Hillary if the sun doesn’t shine but maybe you still can’t comprehend that to this day we still have racism and inequality. Because one chooses not to acknowledge doesn’t make it not real.

• Temperance says:

Thanks for the illustration of the fact that you have absolutely NO idea whatsoever about Clinton. Put down the FOXwash – it doesn’t even makes sense in the real world anymore.

25. E. D. Boddy says:

The only reason we have VP debates anymore is so the networks can self-satisfyingly replay the “you’re no Jack Kennedy” line over and over again. And as it turns out, contrary to his claim, that “senator from Texaco” was NOT a good friend of Kennedy!

26. MMD says:

Glad I live in Canada so didn’t watch but TVLine’s gallery is definitely the WINNER! Gotta find the humour in it somehow.

27. Babygate says:

Hillary obliterated Trump and Pence made Kaine look like a chump.

28. Temperance says:

The biggest loser? The pretense that Pence has even a shred of morality.

29. georgee says:

I was watching to see if Kaine would talk about Hillary October surprise, telling the truth about something. And that would be a real surprise.