No Tomorrow Recap

No Tomorrow: Will You Give The CW's Apocalyptic Rom-Com a Second Date?

It’s the end of the world as we know it (maybe) on The CW’s new dramedy No Tomorrow, and the guy behind the doomsday theory is fiiiine. But did you fall for his charms like the show’s heroine did?

No Tomorrow RecapBefore you chime in with your thoughts, a recap of Tuesday night’s premiere: Evie (The L.A. Complex‘s Tori Anderson) is a play-it-safe kind of gal who works at an Amazon-like company warehouse. She’s got a supportive family – maybe too supportive — that’s pushing her to accept a proposal from her sorta boyfriend Timothy (Defiance‘s Jesse Rath), even though he barely speaks above a whisper in group settings (a fact cleverly emphasized with subtitles).

Evie can’t bring herself to say yes, especially not after meeting Xavier (Galavant‘s Joshua Sasse), the neighborhood looker she’s been admiring from afar. Fate finally brings them together when his beer is mistakenly delivered to her place, but there’s just one problem: He believes an asteroid is going to decimate Earth in eight months and 12 days, and he’s done the math to prove it. Is he right? Who knows? Is he crazy? Maybe. Is he crazy hot? Yes, duh, and the show knows it. (Refer to the stripping a couple paragraphs down.)

Even though her alarm bells go off, Evie is also intrigued by Xavier’s vision of living life to the fullest, without the constraints of the things you have to do. He shows her his “apocalyst,” a book of things he wants to do before the world ends, and invites her to partake in an activity. They go for a dune-buggy joyride in the desert, which ignites the sheltered Evie so much, she can’t keep her hands off Xavier afterward.

No Tomorrow RecapNow it’s time for something on her list: singing in public. Last time she did that during a school musical, she threw up, so Evie freaks out when Xavier blindsides her by submitting her name for karaoke. As she mumbles her way through the beginning of Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again,” Xavier starts taking off his clothes and threatens to strip down to his birthday suit if she doesn’t start singing. (I couldn’t possibly have been the only one to go, “Nooo!” when Evie finally began belting her heart out, right?)

The incentive works, and Evie kills it onstage, but her happiness quickly turns to anger when she discovers Xavier sent a nasty email to her “demon breath” boss (the always funny Amy Pietz, Caroline in the City), nearly getting her fired. He tries to win her forgiveness by gifting her with a pogo stick – she’s always wanted to try it – which she promptly tosses. When it bounces out of the trash can at her, she gives it a shot, eventually falling and hitting her head. Thankfully, Xavier is secretly watching and calls 911.

Turns out Evie has a serious heart condition, which wouldn’t have been discovered if she didn’t go to the hospital, so the accident actually saved her life. Seizing her second chance, she sweetly turns down Timothy’s proposal, crossing that off her own apocalyst. Then she visits Xavier to let him know she’s in, but she’s going to do this on her own terms and at her own pace.

For a rom-com with a complicated, offbeat premise, the pilot of No Tomorrow feels effortless. The ridiculously charming Anderson and Sasse just click, the jokes and visual gags land, and the secondary characters are memorably funny. Heck, even Evie’s nephew scores a laugh with his “No, thank you” response to Timothy’s lame knee-pads birthday gift. If I had one complaint, it would be that Xavier’s cousin breaking out of prison is an unnecessary cliffhanger that feels like it’s from a different show.

What did you think of No Tomorrow? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Gwynevere says:

I was pleasantly surprised with this pilot. To be honest, most of the new Fall Season Pilots have been pretty big let downs, for me anyway. That isn’t to say that they were all awful, most of them I have seen though are the same old stories, with different characters and lack so much originality.
    I did however, very much enjoy watching the Good Place, Westworld, This is Us and Pitch were all great! I still am curious to see how Pitch is going to give us several seasons of “great stories” for us to watch, let alone one full season but I do like it so far. That isn’t to say I have watched every new pilot either. Some of them are just not my taste and this is just my opinion. I respect everyone’s opinion and understand not everyone loves the same things that I do. That being said…
    No Tomorrows pilot was a pleasant surprise and I quite liked it. I can’t day I am suprised because it is on the CW these days because they have started airing some great shows the last few years. I am happy that ot has an original feel and it doesn’t have the same old boring stories that a lot of shows do now. The cast was very charismatic, rhe main characters played off of one another very well, the story was interesting, funny and it was well acted. I am pretty excited for the next episode and I hope it continues to keep my attention. Usually I have to watch a few episodes of a new show to make my decision on whether to keep watching because some pilots can be slow moving while introducing these new characters, giving us backstory and laying out the story for us etc etc. This pilot was not like that for me. I want to know more and I want to keep watching.
    Oh geeze, I am sorry I typed so much here but I do hope peiple enjoyed it and that it continues being a good, fun show.

• Aj says:

Well said! I agree with you

• jr. says:

Watched because I didn’t want to watch debates. The show was ( IMO ) bad. It was a one shot idea, for a movie, and created no interest to want to follow the characters.

• jj says:

agree with your thoughts on the pilot and on the longevity of pitch. I’m curious where they will go from here because at this point I feel like the premise is much better suited towards a mini series (or at the least a shortened season)

• Sarah says:

Agree, haven’t seen them all, but so far it’s great that there are so many good quality quirky, character driven shows. I’m so tired of the crazy amount of violence on most shows, didn’t have much left to watch. This season has been a surprise, now just hope that some of these shows survive or end up on Netflix, etc.

• Seun Fayiga says:

Couldn’t agree with you any less. Shows like No Tomorrow are a breath of fresh air. Tired of all the shows of violence, mystery, puzzles, etc. I don’t know whats the trend that every show wants to go dark or being dark is the best. I will continue to watch this show for as long as its good and is on air

2. Shaun says:

Heh,I like this show very much.

3. AJJJ says:

Didn’t have that high of expectations going into it, but after watching the pilot, I will definitely be tuning in next week!

• Lisa says:

I agree! It was a silly, fun pilot and I’m curious to see how they’ll keep the story interesting and not repetitive but I really like it. I love Evie & Xavier because it’s an easy attraction but not an easy relationship, which is nice to see on a show – no “will they/won’t they” but “how will they make it work.”

4. Seun Fayiga says:

This show was epic. I never expected this much fun. Omg, No Tomorrow wins all the way. Its episode was way better than The Flash. Great one. Looking forward to it every week. It was really effortless. I guess the ending cliffhanger was not need as the recap said but i feel they just did it to show how crazy Xavier really is about siezing the day. Its an A for me.

5. Tyler Babbitt says:

Wait. I can’t be the only one who thought it was terrible? Granted, I realize I went into it comparing it to Jane and Crazy Ex, but WOW. That was terrible! Every cliche in the book, and every time I guessed something it came true.
    1) Hot blonde who is actually super quirky and weird and doesn’t quite fit in!
    2) I’m so Type A lol my fear is pogo sticking and be unorganized! lol!
    3) Also it just so happens I puked at the elementary school musical years ago and I haven’t sang in public since!!!!
    4) Omg you surprised me out of nowhere with an unscheduled karaoke session in public? You’re crazy!!!!!!!!
    5) What’s this weird beat in the background that plays when comedy is happening just like Jane the Virgin?
    6) Let me get my feminist rant out of the way about how I am who I am and have a certain way before agreeing to your crazy ways!

Guys, seriously. This was a terrible episode of television. I wanted to like it and the actors tried their best, but ugh.

• everart says:

Take a breath, it’s just a silly tv show, an hour of election news and you’ll be okay.

• Trevor says:

If by type A you mean anal then yes she is that, but she is not what other people consider type A like her boss. She is a beta and X is trying to get her to come out of her shell and live a little. Type A ppl take life by the horns and don’t let go.

6. Sarah says:

I loved it, it was fun and quirky, dealt with day to day neuroses with a smidge of philosophy, and the leads had good chemistry.

It will only improve now that it’s being filmed in Vancouver–as a Seattleite the palm trees in the pilot were a little unnerving (extra points though for the real shots of Seattle in the opener and the fake Space Needle popping up all over LA!)

7. The best part of the pilot, Xavier, that stud

8. Kathleen says:

It was light and fun and charming and Xavier kept taking his shirt off! I’ll keep watching! There’s not much else on that isn’t a bummer these days.

9. Belle says:

This is one of the few new shows that have scored big for me…great pilot episode, can’t wait for an early full season order :)

10. Rachel says:

Wasn’t planning on watching it but took a chance and I’m glad I did. Will definitely keep watching!

11. B says:

Really enjoyed the pilot. Light-hearted, fun, great chemistry between the leads, and it made me laugh. I’ll absolutely keep watching.

12. ninergrl6 says:

Absolutely charming. Loved it.

13. Sarah says:

After the second episode, I loved it even more!

14. Teresa says:

Love ❤️ it soooo please make season 2

15. Marie Fazzone says:

I thought No Tommorow was refreshing and different! Love the main characters and their chemistry was off the charts! I binged watched it on Netflix. Would love to see it get renewed.