2017 Renewal Scorecard

2017 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Cancelled? What's on the Bubble?

NBC

This Is Us:
Officially renewed for Seasons 2 and 3
Timeless: Additional episodes ordered: Season 2 renewal is a long-shot
Trial & Error:
Premieres March 7
The VoiceRenewed for Seasons 12 and 13

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR THE CW!

1. Donna Salvi says:

Isn’t this way too premature? I don’t understand why you are even starting your predictions when shows haven’t even been on a month.

• KLS says:

If that! Click-bait. (Got me though :) )

• It’s not like it used to be, if ratings aren’t at a certain point, networks don’t keep shows around. It’s not too early.

• Bartimeus says:

Networks are way, way more patient now than they were 6 or 7 years ago. CBS may be the exception. Fox used to yank a show mid-run and you’d have to go hunting for unaired episodes, and they almost never do that anymore, ABC has gotten better with that as well, and The CW is exceptionally patient compared with UPN and The WB.

• Noibha says:

They do the scorecard relatively early, that way us AusHoles can keep track early. Some shows go QUICK. Remember Emilys Reasons Why Not? Me neither.

• A fan of TV says:

Inevitably some or a chunk of new shows will be gone in a matter of weeks, if not days. It’s not too early for many of those shows, and also how early it is makes a game of watching things slide from sure things to safe bets to gone…just have fun with it or you know, wait to read the post for a month or two :)

• Jim says:

The page is going to be running all season long, so might as well create it with the start of the season. To early to put much stock in the predictions yet, though, for sure.

• LaDonna says:

First cancellations will start any day now. Networks are so quick to pull the plug anymore, that if a show doesn’t show some promise after 3 or 4 episodes, it’s gone. It’s really not too early.

• xyz says:

We had the first cancellation already

• donald marazo says:

LaDonna is spot on about promise after 3-4 episodes. Like your common sense comment.

• Michelle says:

I know and it is obsured! Why can’t they give them better shots. Sometimes people don’t even know they exist until a few episodes in or even until the 2nd season then they binge watch the first season. People have their favorite shows which usually come before new shows so they tend not to know about them right away until they hear about it from someone or see an ad for it especially if they normally don’t watch that particular channel. Keep Quantico, Conviction and Notorious for another season. I think they will do great. They r great shows!! Watch them and u will see for urself! I think shows should at least run for two seasons unless it completely tanks(which means almost no one is watching it!). They need to relax on their standards a little especially with people now a days not watching things on tv as much as they use to and watching more online and on apps like Hulu and Netflix.

• Patricia Coleman says:

I agree they also need to get rid of some of the reality shows that are dumb and makes no sense then you wonder why the other shows don’t get rating.

• John NYC says:

Once things start to get canceled why not start keeping score?

• Election watching affected everything for many people. Not me . Watched and on
      DVR every week.

• Kim Austin says:

Secerets and Lies should get a chance and be picked up for another season !!!

• Noibha says:

I’ve been trusting this list less and less every year. I know scream queens isnt the same as last year, but i still die laughing every week. KEEP SCREAM QUEENS!

• Thom says:

One of the categories is “Too early to tell.”
      The renewal scorecard is a year-round feature.

• GregJ. says:

I hope Scream Qeens gets renewed. I know it didn’t do well in ratings, but it’s still a great show.

2. Jan says:

What about Braindead on CBS? Silly but fun.

3. GraceM says:

Most shows haven’t premiered yet in the fall but you’re already predicting whether they’ll return next year?

Shouldn’t you wait until early next year for predictions?

4. Drew says:

I love these renewal score cards but always find them hard to read. Would you consider grouping the series by “category” under each network with headings for your 8 bullet items: Too Close to Call, Safe Bet, etc.? When a shows’s status changes, the show just moves from one grouping to another. (The prior status can remain as you do it today, with a strikeout, when you move the show.)
    This would make it SO much easier to see status at a glance: “oh, Fox canceled 3 shows already”, or “oh, NBC has 6 shows on the bubble”. This would be a lot easier for this reader (me) and hopefully many others, so I hope you consider it…

• opus says:

I disagree completely. Most people are looking for specific shows. Your way, they’d have to search through each category until they found their show. This way you go to the network, then find the show right away. Much easier!

• slo mobile says:

Drew, very good idea. That would make it much easier to extract useful data. Also, when a show changes categories(strikethrough, lighter shade text), the date of the change and the new category should show on the same line. For consistency, so that every listing has a date, shows currently in a category, should show the date they entered.
      This way we can see “3 networks cancelled 8 shows within a 2 day period”.
      opus, it will still remain just as easy to find the specific show you are looking for. You will still go to the network, then scan down the list for the specific show you are looking for. Just ignore the category headings and any strikethrough text.

5. auntiemm says:

Wasn’t NCIS renewed for 2 seasons?

6. El S Boy says:

Why does CBS have Good Wife spin off and not Star Trek Discovery ?

• A fan of TV says:

I thought Star Trek was on Netflix? Or did I read Netflix would distribute it then stopped caring as I don’t have traditional cable?

• dlraetz says:

CBS online. I don’t think they’re doing the scorecard for Internet releases

• El S Boy says:

That was the point, Good Wife spin off & Star Trek are both on CBS All Access
        so it’s both or neither but only one seems weird !

• grazelled says:

I think they’re showing the first episode of Good Wife spin off on the CBS network as well as CBS all access, maybe that’s why it’s on this list with the * beside it.

7. Drew says:

CW: Significant Mother. Yes, it’s from last year, but its fate is still listed as “on hiatus/TBD” at other sites so I would love an update!
    (I may have been one of the few, but I really enjoyed this show for it’s simplistic charms and the often nearly-nude Nathaniel Buzolic.)

8. Libradino says:

Why is Timeless left off of NBC’s list?

9. i dont see to tell the truth where is that

10. Brooke says:

why is Designated Survivor and Speeachless listed as too early to tell? it got the full season pick up

11. Carole Harnoff says:

Blue Bloods could go either way? I thought that their ratings were really good…please advise…

• MMD says:

That could be because Tom Selleck only resigned for one season and may want to see how he feels next year. Just a thought,…………………………..

• drhenning says:

It 100% depends on whether Selleck wants to continue… He has to fly in to shoot the show where as all the other actors pretty much live around NY anyway… makes you wonder if it’ll continue long enough for Danny’s kids to grow up and want to be policemen.. not sure if it’ll make it that far.. The CBS shows on Friday skew older but that’s who’s home watching TV…

• ronlake28 says:

If you have caught any of Tom’s guest appearances on talk shows, he is all in for doing more of Blue Bloods. The too early to tell is TVLine hesitating to commit itself; nothing else.

• PatriciaLee says:

Don’t forget Harry’s Law that had high ratings, but not in the demo. Drat, love them both.

12. kmw says:

Most of FOX’S shows should be it could go either way given how they are struggling. Empire and their cartoons are their only safe bets so far. Gotham should be a safe bet as well but since FOX doesn’t own it I understand its designation. Even though its early in the season you never know when a network will pull the plug on a show

13. natalia h says:

I just realized that 80% of the shows I watch are on the CW.

14. chiguy79 says:

You all do realize this is the post that gets updated throughout the TV year, not just a one-time post looking into a crystal ball. They refer to this post (the yellow link up in the very top) whenever anyone asks about a shows status.

15. Couch Mom says:

Already? Wow!

16. Michael Andrews says:

What about Whose Line is it Anyway?? Has it been renewed for next summer??

17. iHeart says:

can you please revise the Cable scorecard and remove a good chunk of the shows that have been cancelled for more than 2 years?

18. Kristina says:

I don’t understand why everyone is saying that Notorious is dead. It’s doing low 1s, which is what all of Thursday’s scripted fare are doing except Grey’s, which is doing better, and Rosewood, which is doing worse. Plus, isn’t it a lowest man on the totem pole type thing? A number of ABC shows still have to premiere. I know that these days shows can get cancelled quickly, but ABC historically takes their time with these decisions. Also, Notorious didn’t go down in week 2, which almost all new shows do. So I don’t get why we’re all giving up on it.

• Liz says:

I just started watching and love it! Hope it doesn’t get cancelled. Although it reminds me of their other failed attempts like Into the Deep and Off The Map.

• amy Fuhrmann says:

Couldn’t agree more. Love this show. Quantico is on the bubble too. Bummer!! All the good shows get taken away. I loved mistresses too and they left that on a cliff hanger. Not happy

• Nancy says:

Yeah, me to. I just came into this page trying to find out when a new episode would be arriving in my dvr. sad. I hope it comes back.

19. Jason says:

I thought that the good wife spinoff was supposed to be online only.

• Billie says:

It said it will go to online CBS All Acess. I guess it will premier on TV then go online. Get you hooked then make you pay extra for it.

20. Ray says:

My Diet is Better than Yours?

21. Still in mourning for Grimm :(

22. mooshki says:

I’m surprised you didn’t list ‘Man With a Plan’ as ‘likely cancellation’ based on what people are saying about it. ;)

23. Nick says:

That The Family dig was tres harsh!

24. I wish the CW would pick up Grimm. There are a lot of us out here that love it. It is at least original and I am always glad to see Supernatural that is always fresh and is always great!!!Thanks ‘CW’ for getting it!!!

25. John NYC says:

Wow the preview copies that bad eh?

Yeah I suspected such.

26. Sarah says:

Why does Bones have “Officially cancelled…” and not just “Final season…”? There’s a difference between a show “ending” and a show being “cancelled” (imo) and Bones is ending.

• John NYC says:

Perhaps the difference in where the conclusion decision originated: the show or the network.

When it’s the network then that’s “canceled”.

• Sarah says:

@John NYC
        To me, cancelled is when the decision is made halfway through the season or at the last minute.

• CaliGalLA says:

the show was cancelled last year, some sort of legal royalties thing. they are allowing a final, half season. since it wasn’t the show’s choice, but the network, cancelled seems the most appropriate word.

• kmw says:

i noticed that too and you are right it should say final season. I thought it was a mutual decision to end it not that it has been ” cancelled”. Oh well I guess it doesn’t really matter anymore But I am still saddened nonetheless that we wont have Bones around anymore

27. Trent Thorne says:

i love conviction already i hope it doesn’t get canceled

28. Larry Hester says:

Well here is my 2 cents. Bull – BORING – Cancel, Blackish – Cancel, Law & Order SVU – PAST IT – CANCEL, Big Brother – BORING – CANCEL, Bachelor – PAYING FOR SEX – CANCEL, Bachelor in Paradise – PAYING FOR SEX – CANCEL, Quantico – RENEW, Modern Family – CANCEL – PAST IT, Madam Secretary – CANCEL, Scandel – CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL, Grey’s Anatomy – PAST IT – CANCEL, Elementary – SHOULD HAVE BEEN CANCEL LAST SEASON.Dancing with the Stars – PAST IT – CANCEL.

• wrstlgirl says:

So I take it you’re a Quantico fan??

• ronlake28 says:

Actually with those comments you gave us less than 2 cents.

• amy Fuhrmann says:

Wow. That’s a mouth full. A lot of those shows are awesome! Grimm rocks and I’m sad they are ending it, but at least they are giving it an ending. Madam Secretary is awesome, law and order awesome, big brother is a summer tradition, love it, scandal is good, elementary is amazing, bull was just ok but could care less either way, love the bachelor but hate the paradise one and dancing should have left years ago. But a lot of the shows are great if you see them through.

29. Kelly says:

Dear TVLine- much love because your awesome- but please refer to your own article on September 6, Hells Kitchen has been picked up for two more seasons
    Hugs

30. Chloe says:

Shouldn’t it be Season 3 for The Carmichael Show?

31. Mark says:

Shouldn’t The Amazing Race be noted as a “Premiers at mid season” since it isn’t on the air yet?

32. Ruth says:

Oh come on..give Nortorious a chance. I like it and I have sure seen a lot worse. It’s only been on twice!!

• ronlake28 says:

Unfortunately, early ratings, even just two weeks can doom a show because it scares away those who might have watched it but now say what’s the point.

• greysfan says:

THIS! I love Notorious but Americans don’t as usual. I’m sick of the comparisons to Scandal. Its NOT SCANDAL! You guys never give it a chance. I’m sad it is unlikely to survive. The casting is perfect and the chemistry is there. If ABC cancel it i hope Netflix or cable pick it up because it deserves to stay.

• Wanda says:

Me too. I like the show

33. parstl says:

I think it’s a month too soon

I agree with others about Brain dead
    It was my favorite show of thr summer.

34. ToyCannon says:

Match Game and Pyramid are listed, but where is To Tell The Truth?

35. j says:

Isn’t bob’s burgers already renewed through season 8? Shouldn’t you update that?

36. dman6015 says:

Two weeks into the new season, with some Fall shows not even premiering yet, and the Death Watch list is out. Jumping the gun a bit, Michael.

37. bluemalak says:

Cannot cancel Elementary! Love that show. Really liked American Gothic too, would love to see that one come back.

38. drhenning says:

Let’s hope that when TV Line does a post like this for cable/internet shows, it doesn’t include show that were cancelled 2-3 years ago..

39. Lange says:

This list was eye opening for me. I realized that I watch little or nothing on ABC without Castle and almost nothing on Fox.

40. m. smith says:

Thank God for other networks, ABC, CBS, FOX, and the CW shows sucks. What have happen to good tv shows, they are not being shown on either of these stations. Day and night time programming sucks. It use to be one of the other but know they just suck, so tired of boring talk shows, reality fakers, and new shows that make u laugh hard at the attempts of pathetic writers. I will stick with HGTV, National Geographic, Discovery, and Spike

41. Steve Barnes says:

It seems like every year I find less & less network tv to watch. I have my returning favorites but there is only one new show that has any interest to me and that’s MacGyver…and that’s a reboot (topic for another day). The CW has a lock on the tights brigade and NBC is trying to make us weep…constantly. Netflix and British tv. that’s the answer.

42. Robert Quade says:

Thank God I gave away my TV—Three minutes of program, fifteen minutes of commercials, three more minutes of program, back to the same commercials. I now have Netflex on my computer and it is wonderful to watch a program from beginning to end without any interruptions.

• ncmacasl says:

so… Streaming Exercise videos?

• ronlake28 says:

a little bit of tipping the scales unfairly with the difference in show vs. commercials, but I get your point and I agree; commercials are a burden but unfortunately a necessary one for the networks.

43. BAM says:

How is Big Bang Theory a sure thing when all of the casts’ contracts are up at the end of this season?

44. Dee says:

dr ken is missing

45. I liked Conviction. I didn’t think I would. liked the supporting characters more than the main character who seemed more like poor little rich girl.

• Laura C says:

Me too, I don’t care for the lead but like the supporting characters. I’m only watching for the premise of the show because I am in to the work of The Innocence Projects & others who work on behalf of wrongfully convicted. I know there ARE cities that have developed Integrity Units.

46. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL SCORPION!! PLEASE.

47. lucy says:

Like the Supernatural. So glad to see it made it for another season. I would love to see The CW pick up the series Grimm.JMHO

48. Laura C says:

Wow, the season JUST started and they are already predicting? Give it a rest, some of the NEW shows have only had 2 airings. Geez. That said, Blue Bloods BETTER be renewed.

• ronlake28 says:

There is no doubt that the mighty Friday Night Slayer will be renewed and you can take that to the bank and deposit it

49. ncmacasl says:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend won EMMYS & Golden Globes for the CW – It ain’t going anywhere!

50. Mike Mudd says:

The Good Place hasn’t been officially renewed yet? That is forking bull shirt.