Making a Murderer

Making a Murderer's Steven Avery to Be Interviewed by Dr. Phil Next Week

We’ll get a Making a Murderer update next week when convicted murderer Steven Avery speaks to Dr. Phil.

Avery, who was the subject of Netflix’s Emmy-winning true-crime documentary series, will call into the daytime talk show as part of a two-part episode airing Oct. 3 and 4 (check local listings), the show announced Thursday. Since Avery is still in prison, he can’t appear on the show in person, but his new fiancée Lynn Hartman will sit down with Dr. Phil and discuss her relationship with Avery.

Avery’s phone call to Dr. Phil will be his first TV interview since Making a Murderer debuted in December. He was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in 2007 for the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach, but the Netflix series made the case that he might have been framed by local cops who had a grudge against Avery.

Avery’s nephew Brendan Dassey was also convicted in connection with Halbach’s murder, but he recently had his conviction overturned, in part due to the evidence presented in Making a Murderer. Avery, who maintains his innocence, tells Dr. Phil he doesn’t want to marry his fiancée until he’s out of prison: “I want to wait ’till I’m out, and I don’t think that’ll be too long. Right around the corner.”

Making a Murderer will return for a second season on Netflix, and will look at new developments in the Avery case since Season 1 aired.

Do you think Steven Avery is guilty of murder? Hit the comments and share your Making a Murderer theories.

1. HAP says:

I don’t give a crap about Dr. Phil.

2. Kay Hornes says:

Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey are both 100% guilty. Spending life in prison is not punishment enough for these animals. Avery likes to be in the media and likes the attention. As for his new girlfriend, why would someone marry a murderer? Low self-esteem or has a hidden agenda to get media attention?

3. My7kids says:

I think they are both innocent and they will be freed

4. Dan says:

Not guilty.

5. Rob says:

As an Australian Ex cop of 28 years, I am in NO DOUBT that these two (Steven and Brendan) are innocent. The whole Law enforcement contingent from patrolman, through to detectives, to prosecutor (D.A. Kratz) in Manitowoc County are so incredibly corrupt with regard to this case and the blatant targeting and obsessive compulsion to destroy this family. As a Cop, I feel disgusted in my fellow law enforcement family over there in Manitowoc. They should feel a great deal of shame. The only certainty I know is that all concerned who were involved in the prosecution of Avery and Dassey will continue to find it impossible to have a decent sleep. Karma is also sitting and waiting, and they know it.
    N.B. I watched the entire Netflix ‘Making a Murderer’ . As a former cop, you know these guys are innocent. As for the judges……., all I can say is thank God I don’t live in that area, where the judges have such little clue, shame on them as well, they let the system down.

• Tim says:

I grew up in that one horse town and had to deal with some of those very exact law enforcement people. Let me tell you if they don’t like you they will destroy you as a team because They make their own way to make the power of the badge work for them. Since their reputation was destroyed by the first wrongful conviction and then all that money was at stake for the law suite . I know them to well. They love revenge. But karma got them again. 100% innocent. Without a doubt Zeller will set it all straight

6. Rebecca LeeMarie Erb says:

I believe that Brenden is innocent.
    I don’t believe that Steven is guilty.
    I actually believe that someone else killed Teresa Halbach. Period.
    There is a lot of psychic people who believe this as well. There were 3 then 5 and then a 6th who were apart of the rape and killing…dismemberment happened elsewhere. Pigs were also seen eating her body as well… A body does NOT burn easily either. A body would absolutely NOT burn in a bonfire and a smelter would have been used if this actually did take place on the Avery property. The lack of humility by the Manitowac County police department AND judiciary system therein also play a part in the unfolding of this ongoing saga. The truth has NOT been told…and Justice has NOT BEEN FOUND NOR SERVED.
    -Rebecca Erb