Pitch Recap Season 1 Episode 2 The Interim

Pitch Recap: Wave It Off, Wave It Off

Need to catch up? Check out last week’s Pitch recap here.

In baseball, “waving off” a pitch happens when a pitcher decides to go against a catcher’s advice and instead throws whatever kind of ball he or she deems best. It happens a lot in this week’s Pitch and, indeed, becomes Ginny’s life mantra as she navigates the expansive, landmine-filled territory of her instant stardom.

Don’t want to do what the team captain says? Wave it off. Don’t want to listen to your aggressive (though experienced) agent? Wave it off. Don’t want to be a silly cog in a sillier Jimmy Kimmel Live! bit? Wave it off like a fly circling the potato salad at a picnic.

Elsewhere on the Padres, though, life is not quite as shiny and new. Oscar makes moves to oust Al as manager (Al’s big mouth doesn’t help any), and Mike spends the hour complaining about his crunchy knees and broken heart. We also learn how Ginny and Amelia got to know each other, and we watch the first moments of Mike and Amelia getting to know each other better… if you catch my baseline drive.

Read on for the play-by-play of “The Interim.”

ROAD TRIPPIN’ | “Ginnsanity” is in full effect as the Padres hit the road for Los Angeles and an away series against the Dodgers. The effect is not lost on the team, which is plagued by petty arguments started by fragile ego’d baby-men and near fistfights between fragile ego’d baby-men. So Lawson takes everyone out for drinks to celebrate Ginny’s first win… but only a few of the guys show up.

On the team bus the next day, the players reenact the “Seat’s taken” scene from the beginning of Forrest Gump, and Ginny is forced to sit next to Lawson… who needles her for waving off his pitch suggestions in the previous game. She reminds him that her fastball tops out at 87 miles per hour, so she doesn’t always trust it. “You may not always trust your fastball. You need to trust me,” he reminds her.

BATTING A THOUSAND, AL | The Los Angeles trip is plagued by some video of the team manager Al, shot a few years before, in which he talks about then AA-League player Ginny and how her beauty means that a lot of his guys would welcome her in the locker room. It’s very old-school and not terribly politically correct, but… have you met Al? Also, sports journalists are used to having to cover scandals involving steroids and explicit sexts; I can’t imagine any baseball reporter worth his or her salt really caring about this so-called controversy.

But anyway, the video is yet another reason for Frank to fire Al, and the team owner calls Oscar into his office and lets him know he wants to begin the search for an interim manager. Unaware of any of this, but realizing that helping Al would reinforce her position as “one of the guys,” Ginny tells Amelia to put out a statement in support of the team manager. (There’s also a sweetly awkward scene in the away locker room in which Al apologizes personally to Ginny; I know he’s a dope, but the line “The world kind of passed me by when they made the Internet,” endeared him to me.)

But Amelia thinks standing up for Al isn’t in Ginny’s best interests, so she ignores the request — which doesn’t make the pitcher at all happy when she finds out. We learn, via flashback, that Ginny’s brother, Will, was managing her (badly) until Amelia came knocking. When Amelia was able to fill a minor league stadium with Ginny supporters — and rally the local press to cover the event — Will realized that he had no idea how to be the kind of agent his sister really needed, so he stepped aside. “You’re the boss, don’t you ever forget that,” he tells her tearfully. “Dad would’ve been so proud of you. Of course he wouldn’t have said it, but he would have been so very proud of you.”

GINNY ON KIMMEL | With her bro’s advice in mind, Ginny appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, rocking a pink sleeveless dress and soft curls. She’s an OK guest, but things get interesting when she refuses to take part in a comedy bit about decorating the clubhouse called “Ginny Baker, Redecoraker.” Instead, she uses her time on the show to publicly support Al, calling him a good man, and to comment on a sports-related rape case that’s been in the news. “We don’t need to make sure every girl goes in the right room, we need to make sure that every boy knows it’s wrong to rape,” she says. The crowd really likes this.

After the appearance, Ginny politely but firmly reminds her agent, “I call you off, Amelia. Not the other way around. I’m the boss.” And in a quick flashback, we see how Amelia’s husband left her after their second round of IVF didn’t take, which prompted her to reconsider everything and quit on a whim after seeing some news footage of Ginny playing ball. “I will go with you!” Eliot announces (without being asked) after she walks out of an inane meeting, making him the Dorothy Boyd to her Jerry Maguire. He’s even holding a bag of goldfish crackers! (But do they have manners?)

LAWSON STRIKES OUT | Earlier in the episode, Mike mentions to Ginny that his ex-wife wants him to stop by their Los Angeles home to go through his stuff. He talks a big game about how she really wants him back; when we meet her, we realize that his ex is Rachel, an on-camera sports reporter (played by Once Upon a Time‘s JoAnna Garcia Swisher) with whom he is still in love. Lawson gives a long speech about how he understands that she had an affair and left him because she always came second after baseball. “What if I called it a career, end of this season, maybe next?” he asks hopefully. “Would you take me back?” But… big swing and a miss there, dude. “I’m engaged,” she tells him.

A sad Lawson later busts up another locker-room scuffle and attempts to rally his guys, citing how hard Ginny works — which we saw in a training montage earlier in the hour — and how “We’re gonna shock the world, and yeah, we’re gonna do it with a pretty girl in the dugout.”

Pitch Recap Season 1 Episode 2The Padres win, and the team goes out to a club to celebrate. But when Ginny hits the dance floor, Lawson takes off. He winds up back at the hotel bar, where he finds Amelia working on her computer. When he sits down next to her, she closes her laptop in the most seductive manner I have ever seen someone do that. I didn’t even know it was possible to shut down a computer in a come-hither way. But there you have it.

Oh, and Al is almost certainly out of a job. But he’s aware of it.

SHIRT OUTTA LUCK | In other news: Blip’s slump-buster tee shirt fell apart in the wash, but Evelyn is there on the road to sex him back into good spirits. Plus: She buys a new/old shirt and effectively makes him a new slump-buster, and it works. For what it’s worth, Mo McRae and Meagan Holder are so good together and so good in these roles. I’d watch a show just about them.

1. isaaedi100 says:

Loving the show and how it kinda winks at the camera. Katie Nolan is the best part!

2. jenndeve says:

Really enjoying this show so far. Hope we hear a full season pick up for it as well. Strong ensemble and interesting storylines. Love that they’re tackling actual issues.

3. Kaylin11 says:

I couldn’t get past the “I slap asses” scene.

• Katherine215 says:

That’s a shame. The rest of the premiere and the second episode were excellent.

• wrstlgirl says:

hey, haven’t talked to you in while. Good to see you. I have to agree, I’m enjoying Pitch very much.

• Katherine215 says:

Good to see you too! I didn’t comment much over the summer, but fall TV (and the election) has me going again. :) I just replied to you in the ratings post about Pitch, haha! I really love this show.

4. LWolf says:

This show is really growing on me. And I’m loving Mark Paul Gosselaar in this role.

5. Jim says:

Gave this another shot this week and I’m glad I did, this episode was much better than the very lackluster and predictable, boring pilot. I do question why we don’t see the brother in the present day, or the mother at all. Clearly neither of them are in her life anymore either. Is the brother dead too? In jail? Something else?

• sara says:

Why would the brother be in jail? Typical suggestion.

• Jim says:

Because jail takes you away from your family? Death, or jail, or military service, I mean, what else takes you away from your family so completely that you wouldn’t be at your sister’s first major league baseball game when she’s the first woman to ever play? He’s not in the military since we saw him just about a year ago in flashback tonight, so that leaves death or jail. Or a family estrangement the likes I can’t even conceive of, especially since we just saw what their relationship was like. We’ve seen nothing of her mother so maybe they’ve never been on good terms, but after tonight that can’t work for the brother. So why shouldn’t I think jail?

• Katherine215 says:

Her mother was in the stands in the premier. A family estrangement is just as likely as any other family estrangement on tv. Or they just didn’t have him fly to San Diego for her debut due to episode time constraints or budget. Being in jail is completely at odds with what we saw of his character tonight.
          Your racism’s showing.

• Jim says:

Her father was also in the stands, except he wasn’t. I’m just going to do us all a favor and ignore the end of your comment because I’m black and you clearly don’t understand the first thing about what racism is, princess. At least you mean well.

• :-) says:

Ummm…jail is your go to? Wow! May i ask how you got that idea? I don’t like to make assumptions about people based on little evidence. We saw the mom in the pilot. Also the reason we may not have seen mom and brother more is possibly because this is the 2nd episode and the show is rolling out a story in a less than straight forward way. Pitch is a good show. I’m comfortable giving them a season to tell me about Ginny. I just hope fox agrees.

• Jim says:

I promise you it’s suspicious that they aren’t showing her mother or brother in the present day. Clearly part of the story is she got this far, finally, and none of them are around to see it. Maybe they’re all dead, but I doubt it. Let’s keep watching and see.

6. MarcNYY618 says:

If you can roll with the premise that someone with an 87 MPH fastball, no matter the gender can be called up to the big leagues and succeed, it’s a great show. In reality, I think this pitcher, no matter the gender, would either get shelled, or would have to eventually go to the bullpen in a mop up role at best.

• Meg says:

Off the top of my head (being a Red Sox fan) Tim Wakefield and Steven Wright. Both starters, both have slow fastballs.

• matt says:

Jaime Moyer was succeeding at the end of his career with a fastball like that. So is Jered Weaver. It is possilbe

• Katherine215 says:

This was debunked in the premiere recap. Greg Maddux and RA Dickey were also pitchers who didn’t throw 95+ and instead were successful based on pitch location/command and mentally keeping batters off balance. It’s not impossible at all. A hitter used to seeing pitches in the mid to upper 90s from other pitchers is going to have a very difficult time recognizing consistently slower pitches from her.

7. wrstlgirl says:

I’m loving the relationship between Ginny and Mike. Not sure where they are going with it but he is definitely becoming very protective of her and I like it.

8. hopemullinax says:

The Pilot was a little messy, but episode two really delivered!

9. Erin says:

Still really liked ep 2, but they’re painting with such broad strokes. The scripts really need to get tighter. If they had given any detail on the lacrosse rape story, it would have been WAY more effective. The Amelia/Lawson ending could make some narrative sense (her mentors on and off the field, crippling loneliness, searching for ANY type of connections), but it’s a really weird choice for the second episode. Seems especially off for Amelia as Ginny appears to be her whole world right now, and for her to do something that might mess with that is inconsistent. Amelia’s entire characterization was sloppy though. I’m positive that Dan Fogelman can (and hopefully will!) do better than this.

10. Will says:

Loving this show – I hope it survives cancellation.

11. Kim Hanson says:

“Teach boys not to rape.” Really? So that’s where we’ve been going wrong. The writer should be fired for such a horrid line. Or rather the director or producer for accepting it. This show has possibilities but if brain dead dialogue like this keeps creeping in, it will end soon.

12. Jed Fish Gould says:

This was a very important epi for one reason, in my experience: As a long-time KROQ air personality, I have heard several times that artists would prefer to be interviewed by myself, Jed The Fish, than other air personalities. Why? Because sometimes the artist does not want the funny. Sometimes the artist, as in this episode with our fantastic female pitcher, does not want the funny. It is a credit to Kimmel to have recognized this when deciding to accept the premise of Ginny Baker not wanting to do a decorating segment on his show. Fiction meets reality when the writers and the performers have a meeting of the minds. Now I must get back to my cooking.

13. Mel says:

I really love the idea of a woman in a baseball team and I really like sports movies even if they are full with cliches. But this show is not made in a good way. The main charecter Ginny I’m not sure about her acting skills? She is gorgeous and her body is really athletic. But her acting? Ali Larter is awefully bad in this role. I think she has never been a good actress except for her role in Heroes. The dialoges are badly written. AND Ginny is not a batter! Thats such a shame! Baseball is really a boring sport. But at least it would have been more intense if she was a batter. Its super boring to watch her pitch balls :/