Fall TV Preview

Arrow Season 5 Trailer: A Killer Oliver, Felicity's Beau, Dig Returns and More

Oliver Queen is, once again, a killing machine.

In a new trailer for Arrow Season 5, the masked hero puts death-by-lethal force back on the table, which is a “a huge step backwards,” in Thea’s opinion.

While Oliver certainly makes his might known on the streets of Star City, taking out criminals left and right, he can’t do it alone. With Big Bad Prometheus on the streets murdering people, Team Arrow takes in some new recruits, who are put through the ringer by Ol and Dig. And they’re not the only ones being initiated: In flashbacks, Oliver renounces his family as he joins the Bratva.

Also spotted in the sneak peek: Felicity smooching her new boyfriend, Mayor Queen getting shot and Oliver doing the salmon ladder… in a business suit.

Arrow Season 5 will feature a variety of fresh faces, including Rocky IV opponent Dolph Lundgren (as a Big Bad in the Russia flashbacks), Popular alum Carly Pope (as a Coast City reporter), Chicago P.D.’s Josh Segarra (in the series-regular role of D.A. Adrian Chase aka Vigilante), Reaper‘s Rick Gonzalez (as the DC Comics character Wild Dog), The McCarthysTyler Ritter (as SCPD Detective Malone), Blindspot’s Joe Dinicol (recurring as Rory Regan aka the vigilante Ragman) and former WWE grappler Cody Rhodes in a guest role TBA.

Katie Cassidy — who is now a series regular across Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow — will return in the season opener to spill what Laurel told Oliver before her death.

Arrow returns Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 8/7c on The CW, where it now leads into the freshman drama Frequency.

Press PLAY above to watch the video, then hit the comments with your thoughts on back-to-dark Oliver.

1. NC says:

Can’t wait!!!!! Hopefully this season will be much better than last season

2. R says:

Is it the boyfriend? Or is it human target? Does Arrow’s PR department care about the female characters at all when they can’t make room for more Thea or Felicity in a 2 minutes long promo? Needs way more Diggle too. Is this the year I’ll be caring about the Bratva storyline a whole lot more than present time or should I just blame PR again…

3. Rachel says:

Looks good! The darker the show the better it is so I hope that’s the direction they go this season.

4. Christian says:

Hopefully Dolp will get to show off his skills. Not like Marc Dacascos in Agents of Shield or Hawaii5.0 where a skilled martial artist doesn’t get to satisfy his fans.

5. katie says:

@R – Great call on Felicity kissing the Human Target! I didn’t even think of that, but this trailer clearly covers more than the premiere. And it also shows Oliver getting shot, which is supposedly in the Human Target ep. Makes me think Felicity’s new “boyfriend” in the premiere is the result of flashpoint wonkiness.

The new season looks violent and brutal. And this trailer actually got me excited for the flashbacks, which I’ve hated for the past two seasons. I’m cautiously optimistic!

6. Evan says:

Once again the writers proving they have no idea what they are doing!! They specifically said Felicity broke up with Oliver because she was too messed about the nuke killing all those people to be in involved with anyone, yet there she is making out with someone!! She would be much more tolerable if she was a recurring guest star!

7. Joey Padron says:

The trailer for new season looks good. Excited to watch new season a week from today!

8. Lizzie says:

Good trailer with lots of great stunts. I’m impressed there and I liked the Bratva stuff which surprises me because flashbacks have been bad for so long. But I’m not happy how the one scene of Felicity focuses on her kissing someone. She’s more than a love interest. I hope the trailer is not indicative of things to come. There was barely any Diggle too. I hope there’s more for both of them.

• rinaex says:

“She’s more than a love interest.”

She hasn’t been much more than that for a long time…

• R says:

Really? Because she’s the woman in season 4 who’s had storylines of her own. The problem is that they don’t see to care enough to develop them. Paralysis storyline, over right after it started supposedly because they didn’t have enough time. Being the CEO of the company and then wanting to mainstream the microchip to the public as a way of helping people outside of the arrow business, but then they fired her from Palmer Tech. Havenrock hasn’t been touched yet but I’m hearing spoilers for this season so I’m willing to wait. The only storyline they seemed to care enough for is the one that involved another male character, her father.

• R says:

Instead of shooting down people who are complaining about the treatment of female characters on tv (and let’s not dwelve into the flash with Iris), how about you encourage some change? Would be nice.

9. btm says:

I too would applaud a return to an altogether darker Arrow this season, where the characters take steps back and forth on the morality spectrum. The best seasons of the series to date saw the main character struggle with establishing and then occasionally crossing that line.

10. Meg says:

Hoping I am going to love Arrow again. The trailer looks promising. Can’t wait to see the Flashpoint related stuff. Here is to Season 5, may it be epic.

11. abbyrose says:

SALMON LADDER!!!!!

12. R.O.B. says:

I like how even the trailer had to throw in a 10 second flashback

13. ninamags says:

I might give this show another chance.

As long as it focuses on the superhero aspect and fighting crime and stuff, it might draw me back in.

14. i really didnt care for the trailer to much not excited about Arrow S5 because its focussing more on the new TA and killing than going back to basics Oliver and Felicity are over because of the hatred againest Felicity and Olicity they have shutout Emily Rickards and David Ramsey and replaced them with newbies that didnt have anything to do with making Arrow the best show on the CW also Lance Katie Cassidy killing BC was unthinkable it should have been someone like Donna Smoak and your wright\ Emily Rickards has only been used as a love interest and she is a fantastic actress its ashame why hasnt she got a suit they have passed her up so many times thats the only thing that will make me comeback to Arrow EBRFAN

15. Is Michael Dorn the voice of Prometheus?

16. Carrie says:

That actually looks good. The last couple of seasons sucked pretty badly.

17. Brigid says:

Wow, that actually looked good. I can’t wait for the fans to complain about how these kids just started training and shouldn’t be able to fight, I mean that’s how they were with Laurel and she already had some defense classes and started training with the boxer. Hoping this season is more like S1 and less like the rest.

• rinaex says:

People still had some hope for logic and well thought out plots back in S3. I think most of that hope has faded for many. As someone who also thought that Laurel’s BC story was ridiculously escalated, I’m just going to shrug and move on at this point and am simply hoping for a season that doesn’t fall apart halfway through.