Exclusive
This Is Us Season 1 Episode 2

This Is Us Sneak Peek: Is Kevin Regretting His Manny Walkout?

Quitting a job you hate can be an exhilarating feeling. The immediate aftermath, though… not so much.

In this exclusive sneak peek at the second episode of NBC’s This Is Us (Tuesday, 10/9c), TV heartthrob Kevin (Justin Hartley) struggles with what to do next after walking off the set of his cheesy sitcom The Manny. He shares his fears with twin sister Kate (Chrissy Metz): “They own me, sis. I don’t know what I’m gonna do.”

But Kate is ready to reassure him with a much-needed pep talk: “You’ve succeeded at everything you’ve ever tried.” She encourages him to confront a network executive at a Hollywood party and tell him, “Manny out!” (Hey, that line always worked for Seacrest.)

Kate’s own confidence fades, though, when Kevin begs her to join him at that fancy Hollywood party to lend some moral support. (She cries, “I don’t have anything to wear!”) Looks like both twins have some nagging fears they’ll have to confront.

Press PLAY on the clip below to see Kevin and Kate’s sweet heart-to-heart, then hit the comments to guess what other twists might be coming up this season.

1. Z says:

Some people may say this show is hella cheesy but I think it’s a really great positive show. It has characters everyone can connect with

• I didn’t think that I would like it, but was pleasantly surprised how much it spoke to me. In a short amount of time, all the characters were fleshed out as believable and interesting. I’ll be DVR’ing the series to watch each episode.

2. Whatevah8 says:

I really like this show and i didn’t think I would since I didn’t like Parenthood.

3. bryce says:

I like how the show criticized Manny’s use of him shirtless to “make it better” but had no problem taking Milo and Justin’s shirts off whenever appropriate. But hey, I’m definitely not complaining.

• Joey says:

While I admit I have not yet watched the episode, I would point out from the scenes I’ve seen that when Milo and Justin were shirtless, those were during bedroom scenes. In the Manny scene, he’s just walking around a living room set, joking about breastfeeding.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good sneak peek clip. Can’t wait to see new episode! Pilot episode was so good.

5. Piers says:

I have to pass on this. The premise is so flawed it’s impossible to overlook it. A black foundling raised in a white home yet he sounds black turned out great, but his “siblings” turned into an angry, angst ridden actor and a compulsive glutton? It doesn’t compute.

• knd says:

He sounds black? Really?

• heather says:

You clearly didn’t watch, or didn’t pay attention when you did. The black guy ain’t so great. None of them are. That’s sorta the point.
      (And what exactly is “sounding black”? A black guy speaking?)

• Piers says:

I didn’t mean it to be offensive. Have you never spoken to someone on the phone [service rep or whatever] and known they were black just by their diction and inflection? Even after 4 or 5 generations in Chicago or other northern industrial city black people still sound like they are from the south and slur certain words. You don’t need to see Ice T or Jamie Foxx to know they’re black. You only need to hear them speak. Blacks raised under different circumstances like Rick Fox or Lester Holt don’t sound black. So, on This is Us they should have gone with a black actor who didn’t sound black. It’s just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

• Joey says:

You can still offend someone while not meaning to offend them. And while I wouldn’t assume you’re a virulent racist, what you said was still racist.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Just as how Harry Reid famously referred to Obama as “not having a negro dialect, unless he wants to” — but we didn’t hear a peep out of the SJWs regarding it.

• Cas says:

I guess I sort of get what you are saying. Except I thought he sounded fine. And do you nitpick at every show you watch?

• Nora says:

@ Piers,I like how you say you don’t mean to offend anyone and go on making your bigoted comments. You really sound ignorant .

• Piers says:

I’m sorry you feel that way. It’s my perception and not bigoted. Back in the day a trained ear could easily pick up on speech variations between many ethnicities. Even though English was their native language, the neighborhood concentration of their own ethnicity developed it’s own cadence. Think Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady being able to place a Londoner within a mile or two of their home. It isn’t bigotry, it’s science and a good ear.

• A says:

What a hilariously ignorant comment.

• Brigid says:

@Piers: You do not sound racist at all. The only people feeling offended are white people who feel guilt because they know exactly what you are talking about. You can hear a person talk on the phone and know what nationality they are by just listening. It’s not bigoted, just life.

• Nora says:

Hey guess what Brigid…I’m black and found everything Piers said ignorant, and bigoted. I didn’t think I had to put my race when I commented, but because of your dim witted comments, I felt I needed to.

• Tai says:

I’m. It white. I’m still pretty offended by Piers. I’m offended whenever someone tells me that I speak well or that I sound white. I guess I missed where all black people sound exactly the same and that we’re apparently supposed to sound “ghetto” by default. Never you mind the fact that this assumption makes no sense. And anyone who uses that thought as a rule of thumb might not be racist, but they are painfully ignorant.

• ADone says:

This is INCREDIBLY offensive, whether you mean it to be offensive or not…. which I don’t understand how you can’t understand that. I don’t think you paid much attention to the show either. But it’s not just the ‘sounding black’ comment that is offensive, it’s the whole basis of your comment that only blacks should have problems, that the black kid should be messed up. That, because he’s black, he should have had more issues than either of his siblings (and yes, when you’re adopted your siblings are your siblings, not quotations required) simply because he’s black and adopted and they’re white and not.
          Not all children who are adopted develop issues about it. And the fact that he’s so successful in his chosen field could be a major indicator that his goal was to prove that he was better than biology. Not better than his ‘black biology’ but better than his drug addicted parents (I feel like that would have to be clarified for you). White kids have just as many issues as their minority counterparts. The ‘glutton’ as you put it, could have psychological issues that stem from something that happened in the intervening 36 years that we don’t see. The ‘angry, angst ridden’ actor could just be unhappy with his job, since that’s all we see of it. We don’t seem him angry about anything else, other than that he gives his sister a peptalk and freaks out about turning 36. I freaked out about turning 31 and I don’t think anyone would call me angry or angst ridden.

I feel like you took the surface elements behind the show and didn’t bother with the emotionality or subtext.

• Nora says:

You’re being kinder to Piers than I can ever be. I thought his whole comment was offensive and bigoted. I do like your comment though.

• A fan of TV says:

Finally got to watch the premiere this weekend, and will be back for more! Cleverly constructed, and overall thrilled Mandy Moore’s character wasnt the heart-wrenching twist that had been previewed in all I had read, since it looked for much of the ep she would not survive childbirth!

• Esteban says:

Amazing so few typos typing thru the eye holes in your robe.

• lanna says:

You haven’t watched and yet you’re going to make a quick judgment on the series. Well I watched and all 3 siblings have problems. I don’t see any of the siblings as being angry, but all of them trying to find their way through life.

• Nora says:

Piers, it would be nice if you actually watched the episode before you commented on it. I actually watched the episode and found all 3 siblings had problems and flaws. Also, I found none of them angry, each have turned and are going through mid – life crisis. I intend watching the second episode because I thought it was well done.

• A fan of TV says:

Wow. One: you’re awfully imperceptive even though you believe yourself to be the opposite. Youve decided you know the family’s entire history, each character’s entire nuance, through one single episode of flashbacks that doesn’t even show the kids as they grow. It’s cool that despite no evidence you’ve written the characters’ whole histories and then pop out with utter racism as your own ill-informed conclusion, then call yourself a scientist. Hahahaha please, keep up the comedy, you’ve got a lot of practicing to do!

• That is like the worst thing you can say, yes different races, cultures, regions sound different and you can pick up on it. Yes, we all make assumptions based on what we think might be true, based on what think of a race, culture, or region.

But what you don’t get that makes your statement offensive is the fact that you basically state you don’t like it because their no way a black guy, that sounds like a black guy could be raised by white people (strike one, as if someone that sounds black can’t be sucessful), you also implied that out of 3 siblings their is no way, that only the adoptive black child is the one that turns out well. (strike 2, first off the white brother isn’t a complete mess, he’s not happy with his career and freaked out about. The sister is overweight, so she’s also not a complete mess. The black brother looks for his birth father, so obviously a bit of a mess too. Lastly, their are tons of families where one child raises above the rest,

I think that’s the underlining point of the first episode, as cool of a twist that was, the main reason that they were able to pull it off is, that they figure most people wouldn’t compute that a black made with have white siblings and vs versa. The creators counting on people not making the contention base on persecutions. I didn’t get the time difference, but I did wonder if the black guy was adopted by white people, mainly based on my own biasness that a of black kids are adopted by white people.

6. Laura says:

I didn’t think I would like this show, but the first episode was phenomenal, looking forward to tonight.

7. Montiek says:

The only thing that slightly bothered me (but I understand that it was done to avoid spoiling the surprise) is that there was no interaction between the twins and their brother. I don’t even recall a scene where one of them makes (or receives) a birthday call to (from) an off-screen person.

• aac says:

There is at the beginning of the episode, while he is reading his email. Happy B’day Bro…

• Jennifer says:

For those with quick eyes, when you see Sterling’s computer screen, there is a “happy Birthday” message from “Kevin” (I missed it the first time). TV Line has a list of the in show spoilers.

8. Jennifer says:

I watched the premiere. I wanted to like this. I really did. I’m going to give it one more shot, then make a decision. I’m tired of the time jumps / flashbacks on almost every show I watch. can’t do another. And that beard on Milo. Just no. (I know it was stylish then, i just can’t see it)

9. Nora says:

@ Piers, the sad part that their are people out there that think there is nothing wrong with your comments. You might sound intelligent to some, but you sound blissfully ignorant and racist to me. You’re no Henry Higgins, and your good ear science must be a hit at Klan rallies.

10. Jules says:

This is gonna be soooo good!

11. Jared says:

I LOVE the twins relationship. Can’t wait for Tuesday!

12. Paula says:

Perhaps now a lot more people will discover what we Justin Hartley fans have always known. This man is an incredibly gifted actor capable of excelling at both drama and comedy! His looks have probably put him at a disadvantage, though (snicker).

13. jack says: