Jane Pauley to Succeed Charles Osgood as Host of CBS Sunday Morning

During his final broadcast earlier today, Charles Osgood announced that longtime contributor Jane Pauley will succeed him as host of CBS Sunday Morning.

Osgood, who has anchored the program since 1994, first announced his retirement on Aug. 28.

“Charles Osgood set the standard for CBS Sunday Morning, and it’s a great honor to be given the chance to further our show’s legacy of excellence,” Pauley said in a statement. “I look forward to bringing loyal viewers the kind of engaging, original reporting that has made the broadcast so irresistible for so long.”

“Jane Pauley is the ideal host for the most wide-ranging news program on American culture, our beloved CBS Sunday Morning broadcast,” CBS News President David Rhodes said. “Charles Osgood is a television news legend—and so is Jane Pauley.”

Pauley, a former Today show co-host, first joined CBS Sunday Morning as a contributor in April 2014. She has since been a regular substitute host.

Osgood will continue to host his daily radio segment The Osgood File on the CBS Radio Network, as well as make occasional appearances on Sunday Morning.

Press PLAY on the video below to see the official announcement, then tune in for Pauley’s first show as CBS Sunday Morning anchor on Oct. 9.

1. Susana says:

Love Charlie.
    i’m going to missed him
    This isbthe End of an Era

2. Marcie says:

Great choice for a replacement.

3. Phyllis says:

Charles, we shall miss you.

4. Ted says:

Excellent choice. I was really surprised to see her fill in for Scott Pelley on the news a couple times this year. Had no idea she was with CBS although it probably happened way long ago.

5. J. Barr says:

Charles Osgood will be sorely missed in our household. He had a depth of character that is unmatched.

Unfortuately, I am appalled at his choice for replacement anchor. Jane Pauley seems artificial, awkward and lacking in warmth and genuine spirit. I am sadly disappointed.

6. PFitzDC says:

Reliably classy tribute for a classy guy. Jane Pauley is a great choice as successor..

7. Kim tankersley says:

Started watching the show a few years ago and have grown to love it. One of the more informative shows. Will miss Charles… Jane will do well following in his footsteps.

8. Writerpatrick says:

I knew it. She has the experience with morning shows.

9. dman6015 says:

“Charles Osgood set the standard for CBS Sunday Morning…”
    Not to take anything away from Osgood, he’s great, but another Charles, Kuralt, most definitely set the standard for CBS Sunday Morning. He was the host for the first 15 years.

• Klm says:

Absolutely right. Charles Kuralt’s voice is what I hear in my head when I think of Sunday Morning. He’s the voice of my childhood. Charles Osgood did a wonderful job, but Charles Kuralt set the standard. I think Jane Pauly will do well there, too.

10. Diane Jennings says:

I’m sorry. I have watched CBS Sunday Morning News since it started. Love the hosts. They had a lot to do with my watching the show. Unfortunately, Jane Pauley doesn’t do it. She never will. She doesn’t give that ‘home’ feeling that I loved about this show. I’m through watching it.

11. Candy Wagner says:

You have just lost a longtime, avid & faithful viewer!!! Can’t possibly start a Sunday morning with Jane Pauley’s whinny voice and twang much less her far left liberal slant! It even comes through on an “arts” piece! RIP “Sunday Morning”!!!! Loved Charlie and she is NO replacement!

12. James Johnson says:

CBS – You’ve made an excellent choice by picking Jane Pauley to replace Mr. Osgood. I hope she has as long a run as his.

13. Scott says:

I loathe Jane Pauley. I have loathed Jane Pauley since she paraded her smug, supercilious demeanor on the local news here in Indianapolis. A 30-year fan of ‘CBS Sunday Morning’, I will not watch again until she is replaced.

14. j.r. Green says:

NO one in the news have been half as good as Jane Pauley. It fits her like a well tailored glove,
    beautiful, soft, and strong. This is the only sunday show I record for archive. Well Done…..