Nashville Season 5 Video CMT

Nashville Cast, New EP Talk Season 5 on CMT: 'It Feels Better' — WATCH

Is the Nashville cast happy to be back at work on a CMT-bound Season 5? Based on an exuberant new behind-the-scenes video recently released by the cable network, you bet your boots they are.

“Well, I never had a doubt for a second,” star Charles Esten says of the country-music drama’s prospects once ABC cancelled it in May, but he can barely get the sentence out before dissolving in laughter. And he’s not the only one in a very good mood: Castmates Clare Bowen, Sam Palladio, Jonathan Jackson and Lennon and Maisy Stella — as well as series creator Callie Khouri and new co-showrunner Marshall Herskovitz — wax excited about the upcoming season throughout the two-minute clip.

“It kinda feels, in some ways, like a new show,” Jackson says.

“Honestly, I think it feels better,” Lennon Stella adds.

The video also makes sure to address a few top fan concerns: This season — which will premiere on Thursday, Jan. 5., at 9/8c — will have fewer characters, more of a focus on music and longer scenes.

Not pictured in the promo: Hayden Panettiere, new hires like Jen Richards, and Herskovitz’s fellow new showunner Ed Zwick. However, you can get a glimpse of the possibly-eventually departing? Connie Britton if you look real close. (Hint: She’s wearing a baseball cap.)

Press PLAY on the video above to see it all, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Ian says:

Im just ready for the premiere!

2. LE says:

Why no Hayden or Connie?? It’s so weird listening Sam and Claire real accets ha

3. Courtney says:

I skipped the back half of Season 4, but now I’m ready to jump back in for S5. Woooo. When this show is good, it’s SO good. A couple of years ago it got me through a pretty dark time, so I’ll always have a soft spot for it.

4. Phil says:

Sounds like they know the problem areas – no breathing room for dramatic scenes, no breathing room for the music – and then intercutting dialogue OVER the songs when we do get them.
    Fingers crossed this “reboot” works because there IS a really good show just over that away – away from the unnecessary drama!

5. Jared S says:

I wish someone would ask Connie if she’s leaving so we can know one way or the other. I love her and she’s what brought me to the show, but I will continue to watch even if she departs. I just want to know!

6. Chris says:

Chris Carmack isn’t in the video either!

7. sunshine says:

Wait, what’s CMT? I thought this was going over to Netflix or Hulu or something. I wish reviewers would be more careful to cover the W’s…WhoWhatWhereWhen. They assume we know what they’re talking about and give too little actual info.

• Janet says:

Country Music TV. Love, love, love the show. Starts Thursday Jan. 5, 2017

• Britt says:

How difficult is it to type the THREE letters into a search engine?

Yes, reviewers should include all of the details…but you could have answered this question in less time than your typing..

8. Anita Gift says:

I’m so excited !!! Can’t wait to see what’s new this year.