superior-donuts-big

Superior Donuts Nets CBS Series Order

Judd Hirsch is cooking up — actually, make that baking up — something big at CBS.

The network has ordered 13 episodes of Superior Donuts, which stars the two-time Emmy winner as the thick-skinned owner of a small donut shop in a rapidly gentrifying Chicago neighborhood, TVLine has learned.

The half-hour, multi-camera comedy also focuses heavily on Hirsch’s “enterprising young employee,” played by The Eric Andre Show‘s Jermaine Fowler, who also serves as an executive producer.

Additional stars include David Koechner (The Goldbergs), Maz Jobrani (Better Off Ted), Anna Baryshnikov (The Mysteries of Laura), Darien Sills-Evans (Treme), Rell Battle (Key and Peele) and Katey Sagal (Married With Children).

Based on the play by Tracy Letts, Superior Donuts premieres midseason on CBS. Will you be tuning in? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Daniel Wexler says:

Great cast. Looking forward to checking this out.

2. lurk says:

I read the play by Tracy Letts it’s presumably based on; it’s a fantastic play. I have no idea what they’ve done to it to turn it into a CBS sitcom, and I’m not sure I want to know, but I admit I’m more likely to check it out in a morbidly fascinated kind of way..

3. Riana says:

Having seen the play, I’m interested in this.

4. Kevin K says:

Hope either Kevin Can Wait, Man With a Plan or The Great Indoors gets canceled soon once the network makes room for Judd Hirsch’s new sitcom until mid-season. No complaining

5. Eric says:

More likely to cheer for a Judd Hirsch show than a Kevin James one (in no small part due to the fact that I’ve already seen James), so I hope the quality is there and the ratings are too.

6. CoryB says:

Within days of Kevin Can Wait premiering CBS picks up a comedy for midseason. Definitely not a good sign.

7. herman1959 says:

Yes! This sounds perfect for me, and I’m hard on half-hour comedies.

8. Donna Salvi says:

Judd Hirsch and Katey Sagal together? HEAVEN

9. Jakay says:

I’ve seen the play and making a half hour sitcom out of it sounds pretty bad. But I guess we will wait and see. It’s a great cast, even if Michael McKean would be a better choice for the donut shop owner than Judd Hirsch. They’re just really different types. If they’re keeping th other characters from the plays would that make Katey Sagal the Irish cop and David Koechner the crazy Russian from down the street?

10. Joey Padron says:

I remember read about the show being in the works. Glad it got ordered to series. They have a great cast on the show. Looking forward to check it out next year.

11. Andrea says:

Will I be tuning in for Judd Hirsch? Absolutely!

12. jericho says:

So the people at CBS finally watched Kevin Can Wait and realized they needed something to replace it asap? Makes complete sense.

13. Mr. Smith says:

Sounds great! Better than the current comedy offerings.