Designated Survivor Recap

Designated Survivor: Does President Kiefer Sutherland Get Your Vote?

In the wake of calamity, “Designated Survivor” Tom Kirkman got sworn in as the unlikely President of the United States this Wednesday night. Does ABC’s new D.C.-set drama get your vote?

Dez (as I am choosing to call it around the office) stars 24 alum Kiefer Sutherland as the aforementioned Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, who was on the verge of being demoted to the Chairman of the International House of Pancakes (or the like) when the President and his entire Cabinet are killed in a bombing of the Capitol.

Kirkman learns of his DESIGNATED SURVIVORincredible ascension while being whisked from the place he was quietly watching the State of the Union to the White House, where he meets with the Joint Chiefs of Staff to get the 411 on the attack — which, right now, is zero. Kirkman suffers expected jitters, as witnessed by speechwriter Seth Wright (House‘s Kal Penn), who unwittingly speaks for the many in expressing massive doubts about the new POTUS. Still, Kirkman is all they’ve got for right now, so he’ll do the best he can do. Kirkman has a wife, Alex (Californication‘s Natascha McElhone), who is an attorney; a son, Leo (Tanner Buchanan), who after going missing is eventually tracked down at a dance club, where he was peddling drugs, by Secret Service agent Mike Ritter (The Last Ship‘s LaMonica Garrett); and an adorable moppet of a daughter, named Penny (McKenna Grace).

Meanwhile atDESIGNATED SURVIVOR the bombing site, we meet FBI analyst Hannah Wells (Nikita‘s Maggie Q) and the investigation’s lead agent, Jason Atwood (Malik Yoba). (Thank your lucky stars the revised pilot scrapped Hannah’s comically bad blind date.) There’s little for the FBI to go on at first, until the search team uncovers a “dud” bomb that failed to detonate. Maybe its mechanics/materials will offer a clue? Hannah meanwhile cannot help but notice that there has been no chatter, no bragging or chest-puffing, on the dark web, where terrorists are typically happy to lay claim to an attack. That, to her, suggests that whomever was behind the Capitol bombing is not done.

Ultimately, Kirkman is informed by JCS Deputy Chairman Cochrane that Iranian destroyers appear to be moving to cut off the channel through which a bulk of the world’s oil supply travels. Kirkman allows Cochrane to get some jets in the air, but before declaring war he takes a meeting with the ambassador to Iran. Borrowing a suit from a staffer, the President assures the ambassador that he is “as straight a shooter as you will find in D.C.,” so he means it when he says that unless Iran pulls back its destroyers, the morning headlines won’t be about the United States‘ Capitol being destroyed. The ambassador, having claimed no awareness of his country’s military aggression, agrees to make sure the destroyers are docked within three hours.

His first eighth of a day or so on the job done, Kirkman then sits himself down before the television cameras and doffs his horn-rimmed glasses, bracing to addresses the nation for the first time as POTUS, to be the “Presidential voice” they need to hear during this horrible time.

What did you think of Dez? And just for fun, I’ve embedded below the poll The West Wing‘s “designated survivor” scene:

1. Yes, “Designated Survivor” gets my vote. I watched as a skeptic and was won over. My 1st ABC show in too many years to remember.

• TomC says:

I agree with your whole statement. As a general rule I have written off so many ABC shows but the promos for this one were intriguing. Kiefer Sutherland, in my opinion, did a good job. I found him believable. Only complaint would be the usual formula teen and the gung ho general. It has me hooked for now.

• mrmcgee says:

Agree. The General could’ve been dialed back just a notch.

• Annie Sisk says:

I’ll cosign that. The general in particular could be pulled back considerably and still get the point across.

• Pretty sure the General is involved somehow in the bombing, stealing a plot from the 9/11 conspiracy crazies’ theories. There’s too much focus, imo, on the family. Sure, Kirkman is a super dad and husband, but I hope that they don’t pull a Homeland where Dana’s arc ruined the show. I want to see more of the political stuff–how will he put together an entirely new government overnight, what maneuvers and jockeying will people be doing to fill the power vacuum, all the while leading an investigation into determining who’s responsible all the while fending off a trigger happy general.

• Jim says:

This show really, really, really, REALLY didn’t need an obnoxious drug dealing teenage son. I enjoyed everything else, but I hope that angle gets nixed immediately.

• @NavyResGirl I agree with you there I was a skeptic at first after I watched it, I was literally blown away. It will be definitely on my watch list.

2. Jimmy says:

I really like it. I’m interested enough to see how it plays out.

3. SayNay says:

For some reason I felt like this pilot episode needed to be a bit longer. At least maybe through the speech. I’ll keep watching for another episode or two, but I’m worried this is going to fall off a cliff like Quantico.

• dan says:

After 40 minutes I said “reminds me of Quantico” and I turned it off.

• Rob says:

No way was this show like Quantico, no stupid music every 10 seconds, no weird camera tricks, not centered on young beautiful actors who are there only because of their looks etc… I stopped watching Quantico half-way thru the first season, no regrets. Designated Survivor has a good solid story that has some actual truth, because the story could really happen. I think it was an inside job made to look like it was done by terrorists.

• Boiler says:

Not to put words to what the other 2 people meant but I am guessing there doesn’t seem to me to be a long term story. What happened with Quantico is the reason I am not watching this show.

• dan says:

Quantico was a mystery about who planted a bomb at Penn Station and the supposedly innocent person who is framed for being a terrorist and has to solve the mystery. This show is a mystery about who bombed the Capitol and the supposedly innocent person who becomes president and has to solve the mystery. I agree the two shows have their differences (Kiefer Sutherland has some depth to his acting), but I saw the troubled teenager storyline just like Quantico, the aggressive government employee(s) just like Quantico, and the ridiculous plot holes just like Quantico that didn’t make this enjoyable to me (don’t get me started on how a three-year Cabinet member would be so stupid to say “what is a designated survivor” when being told he is it). Maybe I’ll try again if I hear its great, but I spent last year waiting for Quantico to get better and it just kept spiraling downward.

• Saynay says:

This is exactlying my concern. The concept is interesting, but over time it’s likely to break down and turn into a mess of a show or something completely different than what you signed up for.

4. K says:

I will definitely keep watching.

5. chuckiechk says:

LOVED IT, I was glued to my television. it started with a bang and didn’t slow down. I’m hooked!

6. Abena says:

Kiefer is in a class by himself when it comes to pulling you into a character. I’m there already- rooting for Tom and despising his foes! Its really great having Kiefer back on tv-😊

7. Lysh says:

I think I was TOO looking forward to this show that it didn’t quite live up to my expectations, but it was still pretty good. I don’t think I’d want to go to the White House right after the Capitol was bombed. Go to a bunker or something. Everyone seemed so calm. And the situation room looked super high tech. Also I don’t really believe the teenagers would still be raving cluelessly – we all have cell phones with alerts. But I love Kal Penn, the general is super shady, and the story is intriguing, so I’ll tune in next week.

8. laurelnev says:

Okay…I said I was unsure of if I’d like it or not. I didn’t hate it, and it was WAY more sci-fiey than I thought, but I am in no way hooked. Dude SHOULD have been Education Secretary or should have been given a more urban planning/civil engineering background. NOBODY calls it Washington there; even Kal Penn says he was mugged in DC. But the low level cabinet nerd really reminds me of a former neighbor of mine, a low level, middle aged cabinet nerd, so the characterization is appropo. STILL think it would be a better match to something like SHIELD than a great Nashville replacement, ending the night of sitcoms. But I’m in for a couple of weeks anyway. My biggest complaint was it was slow…but pilots often are as they pretty much have to be all exposition. But they need to recast Penny with someone who can act a little better. Cute kids are a dime a dozen. ;)

9. longannoyingpenname says:

I don’t know. I thought it was way too much happening in an hour. I can’t remember anyone’s name and I can already tell the teenage son is going to be a cliche television teenager. Maybe they needed to do a ninety minute premiere to get the ball rolling. I’ll give it another week.

10. With Keifer Sutherland as the main character – this show is going to be ABC’s biggest hit in a decade or two. Too many commercial breaks is the only complaint. They should put more together instead of every 5 minutes. Excellent show – I’m a fan already.

11. Paige says:

Fantastic! President Kirkman just needs to ring up Jack Bauer to find and kill the perpetrators.

12. mike says:

I like it and will also be tuning in next week can they please kill that general in the next episode he the only Character I din’t like.

13. Kevin Fowler says:

Show will be cancelled within 13 episodes. No way anything like this would happen.

• Matt says:

Yay its a tv show guy. Lots of things happen in tv that wouldn’t happen in real life.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Sorry if you going to make a TV drama in present time it has to be realistic.

• drhenning says:

oh like Scandal??

• ndixit says:

In what world are you living in? Have you seen some of the shows on tv?

• Kevin Fowler says:

I watch Law and Order SVU. At least those stories could actually happen.

• ndixit says:

Ok, then you don’t watch a lot of tv. SVU is a very specific show that aims to be very grounded and real. A lot of popular shows, including this one, do not.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Let’s get something straight designated survivor is listed as TV drama not Sci-Fi. The minute they listed this show as TV drama and not Sci-Fi they had a responsibly to make look like what was happening was possible. Otherwise they should have listed it as sci-fi and then people like me would have nothing to complain about.

• Tatharnio says:

As Kal Penn says in the episode the position of Designated Survivor exists BECAUSE somebody foresaw the possibility of this happening. Just because something like this hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it COULDN’T happen.

The only thing I found a little unrealistic was that they would bring Kirkman straight to the White House. If the Capital Building was just bombed I would think the White House and Pentagon would be under strict lockdown being potential targets. Keeping him in the undisclosed location, or moving to a secure unnamed bunker would probably be the more likely move until they could rule out any threats to those prominent seats of government.

• Katherine215 says:

Oh, I’m sure you’d find something to complain about. After all, you’re complaining about television being realistic like it’s the 1950s or something.

• Dysturbed says:

There is a long list of successful shows that take place or at the time they aired took place in the present, and took liberties throughout the duration of the show, and went beyond reality. How is it only a problem with this specific show?

• Kevin Fowler says:

Because this one goes way over the top. Something like what happened on show WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

Well since this is an ACTUAL precaution that the government takes, it not only is considered “possible” but could actually happen.

So… I guess the United States Government thinks this could “actually happen” but I guess that’s not good enough huh?

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

hmmm well I guess the Zombie Apocalypse is going on since Walking Dead takes place in present time too.

Or hey, just the apocalypse since Last Man on Earth takes place in the present.

Or maybe we’ll have Naval officers tracking and hunting terrorists like on NCIS (since what the real NCIS agents do most of the time is handle divorces and legal matters for sailors)

If you only watch tv that is “realistic” I imagine your TV is off most of the time.

• Jerri says:

I thought JAG handled legal matters for sailors… NCIS – Naval Criminal Investigative Service, investigates crimes related to/involving the naval (military) corps

• Kevin Fowler says:

Walking dead and Zombie Apocalypse are listed as sci-fi fantasy shows. Designated Survivor is listed as TV drama, not Sci-Fi.

• texmike says:

I think 9/11 showed us that the unthinkable can happen.

• Will says:

Hey guys – stop feeding the troll.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Please, This attack during state of the union and planes or trucks were not involved. The way they are setting it up, it has to be inside job, why because there is no way terrorists could get bombs in capital building. Anyone who thinks a Terrorist can this is an idiot.

• Xoxo says:

Ummm like how the 4th flight on 9/11 was either on the way to the white house or on the way to Capitol Hill… most likely the later… so yeah deeply unrealistic that an attack on that building could happen….

• Kevin Fowler says:

At least a plane hitting the capital building would have been realistic. Unlock bombs in the capital building, And they are already hinting at inside job, enough with the conspiracy theories already.

• cuius says:

How likely is it that the American public have the choice of an ailing grandmother or a dodgy property “billionaire” as a President – “No way anything like this would happen”

• Christine Zeltner says:

Interesting that you say it could never happen. There were scenarios in the government that hypothesized that terrorists could fly planes into buildings. One scenario had them flying into the twin towers. Naivete said that could never happen here. In the world we live in, terrible things are possible. Just because you don’t believe it can happen, doesn’t mean everyone else should have their head in the sand.

• Linda says:

It not supposed to imply that it will it is a fictional show

• Kevin Fowler says:

Sorry, every TV drama I ever watched at least a hint of truth to it. If this show is supposed to be fictional than it should listed as sci-fi. And never mind the fact is is insulting to us in the military and those of us who were at Pentagon on 9/11.

14. Ava says:

Liked the show… But not wild about the choice for wife. That was disappointing.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Show will be cancelled. Not even close to realistic.

• Vi says:

We all have different tastes and want to watch shows for different reasons. I like to be entertained and I don’t always want to go behind shows to say things like ‘never happen’. Or ‘ not even close to realistic’. For those of us that like the show, I hope it’s not cancelled. For you, use the remote to change the channel.

DELETED

• Vi says:

Yet you are commenting on the show, so you must have watched …hence you must be brain dead too. People hoping that shows get canceled, start thinking about somebody other than yourself, think about all the actors, producers, directors and everyone else involved in the show, they lose their job because you can’t change the channel. Smh

• vanvon says:

You must work for CBS or NBC!

• Kevin Fowler says:

And you must work for AMC. Only people like would keep THE WALKING DAD on TV for six seasons when the story never moves forward. That’s right CBS and NBC have the highest rated and longest running game shows on TV, and they suck.

• kmw says:

Not with numbers this show got last night. Realism has nothing to do with a show staying on the air

• Kevin Fowler says:

Come on the pilot always has good ratings. Why because everyone is watching it to check it out. We’ll see how the ratings are when no one continues to take responsibility for the attack and when people get sick of this conspiracy of going on after 13 episodes.

• kmw says:

Or you could go with the latter part of my statement that realism has nothing to do with shows staying on the air( or ratings for that matter, look at Scream Queens, terrible numbers but still on the air) Also given the lackluster state of most of the other ABC shows( excepting Grey’s Anatomy and their reality shows) if this show stays anywhere near a 2.0 or even a 1.5 it will get a second season, even Quantico tanked near the end and got renewed. Just because you want it cancelled doesn’t mean it will be

• drhenning says:

are you kidding me??? Natascha McElhone is wonderful.. at least in this show, her husband won’t be a sleeze like in Californication.

• :-) says:

I agree on the wife. She didn’t feel right. I kept wishing she wasn’t their. The only scene with her that worked was the one where Kal brought to her awareness that she’s the first lady.

15. RUCookie says:

I’m in, I liked it.., good pacing, good characters and already I am rooting for some and rooting the demise of others.

16. Mariana Trench says:

l liked the show and will give it some time to get its bearings, but IMO the drug-dealing son sub-plot has to go.

• Steven says:

I agree. I loved the pilot, but making the son the stereotypical rebel teen is such a lazy plot. I actually groaned at the preview.

• ndixit says:

Yeah, that was stupid. The situation itself is dramatic and traumatic that it would actually be refreshing to have a unified normal family who don’t have wayward misbehaving children. The story would be interesting enough if they got into how these normal kids dealt with becoming the first daughter and first son and being so heavily scrutinized.

17. Jasper says:

I think it’s going to be a top show. I am hooked. GO USA
    STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

18. Sarah B says:

I don’t watch much TV because I have little time, I find a few shows I like and wish they were better written….Designated Survivor captured my attention past my bedtime tonight randomly and kept me up watching as I was hooked. I have no criticism about the writing, which is rare for me, and I can’t wait to see what happens next as if they nailed it in the first episode this is going to be great (and that never happens, there is usually room for improvement)! Kudos to the writers and directors, I can tell this is going to be my fall must-watch show!

• Chris F. says:

The last time I felt like this about an ABC series what when we were blessed with “Lost”, and we all know how great of a series that was. I never got into “24” but Kiefer Sutherland as the Designated Survivor has captivated me once again. Can’t wait for the next episode.

19. Kevin K says:

I give Designated Survivor an A. I’m always a huge fan of shows like 24 and Homeland and the Kiefer Sutherland led series is the best if not one of the best new dramas of the season.

20. James D says:

thought it was outstanding. maybe a little unrealistic but duh it’s a primetime drama. I was worried going in that I’d just see Jack Bauer playing president, not to say Kiefer isn’t an excellent actor because he is and was long before Jack, but he played Jack with such authority I grew attach to him as that character. I was pleased to see that wasn’t the case I really loved his character. I’m definitely hooked can’t wait for the next episode. BTW supporting cast was great as well.

21. Leanne Hager says:

Fantastic !! Kiefer at his finest as always

22. Leanne Hager says:

Kiefer at his finest as always. Fantastic show ! Can’t wait for more

23. Jerri says:

I’m on the fence with this one. Sutherland seems too presidential compared to the character he’s supposed to play. The hoodie and the sunglasses Kirkman is seen in for almost half the episode, didn’t really sell the whole ‘Secretary of some really low position who got fired this morning, but is then thrown into being the president of the whole country’ thing. OTOH, the bathroom scene with Wright & Kirkman was a nice touch and it’s part of the reason why I’m on the fence with the series as opposed to never tuning in again.

Sidenote: The scene where Kirkman looks out the window and sees the mushroom cloud in the distance…? Did they spend all their money on Sutherland’s pay check? Also, that many people die in ONE go for him to become President? Even the Cylons got several shots off for Roslin to get the Presidency.

24. texmike says:

I think it’s going to be a hit. I’m in!

25. I'm Batman says:

Give Kiefer and the show the Best Drama Emmy right now! Voting is closed! Best tv drama in decades. In the same class as: Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, L.A. Law and very few others.

26. James Shaw says:

I really enjoyed this pilot, not least because it has (in its own way) finally fulfilled something that I have bee wishing for quite a while: make either a TV or movie version of the Debt of Honor – The Bear and The Dragon arc of the Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy. This pilot really felt like the end of Debt of Honor, and I well and truly look forward to seeing what happens next.

27. Bj says:

I like Kieffer Sutherland. He’s been great in the shows I have seenThey have been excity and kept my interest. This 1st was very good.

28. Nina Pinzarrone says:

Fantastic, gripping, everything I was hoping for and more.

29. Will says:

Wow…starts off fast and just…does…not…let…up. I’m paying attention. You felt like how Kirkland felt. Count me in!

• ameraleigh says:

That’s a good way to put it, put into that situation I think the first thing that most people would do is to go and throw up, his reactions felt very real, I loved that they didn’t just have him take on the job and be fantastic at it straight away.

30. Mark says:

I wasn’t sure what I would think, expecting Jack Bauer 2.0. This definitely isn’t that, but it is a very good show. I’m hooked.

31. Lisa says:

I gotta say, I loved it. I can’t wait for next week’s episode!

32. Iris says:

I liked the first half, loved the second. Aside from the main characters three others stood out enough for me to remember their name (Aaron, Emily and Mike). Kiefer S. was fantastic as an understated badass. Some aspects were as good as I expected, Kal Penn, Maggie Q, the writing. Others better than I expected, the wife, the married couple chemistry, the Conspiracy at the White House plot. Some as meh as I expected (the kids) but I didn’t hate them either. It bodes well so I will definitely watch episode 2.

33. Maria says:

Loved it.
    The writing, the pacing, the music (yay for Sean Callery), the husband-wife chemistry were all great. We will definitely tune in again.
    Wondering if the son’s name (Leo) is short for Leonard. If it is, that would make the kids’ names Leonard and Penny.

34. Bark Star says:

It was good but it doesnt have legs for a TV show. This has miniseries written all over it.

35. MarcNYY618 says:

So far, it’s my favorite of the three new shows I’ve given a try. I liked it slightly more than Lethal Weapon and more than Good Place.

36. Aeol says:

It started off bad. Weird, stiff, like some kind of badly staged play. I almost turned it off at the first commercial break. It got better, and I love KS, but the opening scenes were brutally uncomfortable and lacking chemistry. I hope it improves.

37. Elaine says:

Reminds me of “The Last Ship”.

38. btm says:

I’d give the pilot a B+ or thereabouts. Keifer Sutherland is a star and the show crackles whenever he is on the screen, which was almost the whole pilot. This is going to be a huge hit, no matter how realistic the premise. Sutherland can carry a show.
    The core cast is great, especially Sutherland, McElhone, Penn, and Maggie Q. I’m a fan of Ricci as well. The Deputy Chairman of the Joint Chiefs was far too much of a caricature, and his role in the pilot was significant. Yet if IMDb is right, he doesn’t reappear after the pilot. That is very good news, although it will be somewhat jarring to have him up and disappear after sucking up all the air in the room during the war room scenes and issuing an ominous warning in conversation with the Chief of Staff. Good to see the show runners opted not to bring him back, though. From my perspective, we didn’t see enough of Adan Canto (Chief of Staff) to develop a strong opinion either way as yet. He’s a recurring player, in every episode shot to date, so that’s going to be a major character.
    I haven’t the slightest interest in the first son and his drug travails, and barely a glimmer in the first daughter. Since it appears they appear in less than half of the episodes (3 of 7) they have in the can, maybe the kids will be shunted to the background. I hope so.
    They need to figure out how to have Maggie Q interact with the White House cast in the coming episodes. On the whole, I liked it and will keep watching. I think the show will do well, but it isn’t immediately clear if a show with this premise can last for multiple seasons.

39. ann says:

I thought it was dumb when Keifer asked what the designated survivor was. I think a cabinet member would know that!

• Aeol says:

This is such a minor thing, but it bothered me SO MUCH that when he was at home talking to his wife, the clock on the wall said it was almost 8:30. The SOTU starts at 9 pm! Wouldn’t he have already been in place, preparing to attend the speech, even if he hadn’t yet been given Dez status?!

• dan says:

Me too! Little things like this drive me crazy and are so easy to fix either in the writers’ room or during production. Just one of the reasons I couldn’t take this show too seriously.

40. Seun Fayiga says:

Everyone is overhyping Kiefer Sutherland. He did a good job required of him, yes. But its nothing as spectacular like people are saying.

41. Ted says:

Jack (tom) has saved the USA so many times in the past, its about time he became president!

42. Ra LaMothe says:

The premise of this show resonated with me, especially in the dark and grim world we live in now. I thoroughly enjoyed the amazing irony of Kirkman’s situation and his wholly apparent jitters after having just been demoted by the President in the morning and end up having his job by the end of the day – pursuant to his line earlier which turned out to be foreshadowing. Love this show already and with Kiefer at the helm, I have no doubt it will be every bit as exciting as his 24 days.

43. Katherine215 says:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s absolutely nuts that we stick all of these important people in one room one night a year and leave only ONE person to take care of business if this happens in real life?!

• dan says:

Although the designated survivor premise is true, during a typical State of the Union address not all Cabinet members and Supreme Court Justices attend for various reasons. I’m sure there are also members of congress who don’t attend. Maybe it’ll be discovered in future episodes that there are other members of the three branches who are alive but weren’t in line to be President.

44. GWG says:

I was torn between watching Designated Survivor and the riot in North Carolina, I chose
    Designated Survivor. So far so good and it has no biased media trying to spin it!!!!

45. MMD says:

Not fair Matt to stick Pres. Jed Bartlet at the bottom of the article although Kiefer Sutherland seems up to the challenge. This is going to make viewing so confusing since I am already invested in Madam Secretary where Keith Carradine is President.

I have never watched a KS starring show but I think it is a hoot that a Canadian raised actor, albeit born in Britain but both parents are Canadian, is playing the President of the U.S. Someone should notify Drumpf so he can start a birther investigation of a tv president. LOL

46. GWG says:

Had two choices last night. Designated Survivor or News coverage of the riot in North Carolina. I choose Designated Survivor, because it was good and it had no biased media
    spinning it!!!

47. kmw says:

I thought it was terrific. Kiefer Sutherland is just great to watch and believable in this role. All the supporting players were good as well. I will be back again next week

48. Mommaknowsbest says:

Believe it or not, I have not seen Keifer Sutherland in any program’s before last night. I was very impressed. We will be watching Dez each week!! (And I agree with @NavyResGirl – this was the first scripted show in YEARS that we’ve bothered to watch on ABC!)

• ReneCat says:

Oh,Mommaknowsbest ,If 24 was too violent for you you should try Touch! It was an amazing and beautiful show! Try binging it on Netflix I don’t think you will be disappointed.

49. ReneCat says:

Oh HELL YEAH President Sutherland gets my vote! First ABC show i’ve watched in years that didn’t have funny videos in it . Now, if the Always Be Cancelling network can just keep their head on straight and do right by this show I might forgive them for cancelling Miracles and the Night Stalker reboot.

50. David Roche says:

A very pleasant surprise….