Criminal Minds Jane Lynch

Criminal Minds: Jane Lynch to Return for Season 12 Arc as Reid's Mother

More than eight years after her last Criminal Minds visit, Jane Lynch is set to reprise her role as Reid’s schizophrenic mother.

Lynch in fact will return as Diana for a pair of episodes, to air in early 2017, as part of a “heavy Reid story,” showrunner Erica Messer told TVGuide.com.

Lynch first guested as Diana in the long-running thriller’s Season 1 finale. She last played the role in back-to-back Season 4 episodes, when a case sent the BAU to Las Vegas, where the character lives.

Lynch’s other TV acting credits include, of course, Glee, CBS’ one-and-done Angel From Hell, Two and a Half Men, Party Down and The L Word.

Criminal Minds opens Season 12 next Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 9/8c, on CBS.

Want scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. That’s awesome that she’ll be back for a couple of episodes!

Don’t forget that Jane hosts Celebrity Game Night (fun show!)…and Criminal Minds starts next week, not tonight! :)

2. sarahst92 says:

So happy about this. Reid is my favorite character so “heavy Reid story” sounds good to me. Can’t wait to see what they’re coming up with. Loved Lynch’s portrayal as his mother.

3. Steven says:

Very excited for the new season. Pretty sure this will be to kill her off, but I hope not.

• Emily says:

That was my exact thought…which, Jesus, between Morgan being gone and Hotch leaving and something up with his mom, Reid is going to be pulling some emotional weight this season.

4. GraceM says:

It’s been eight years since her last appearance? Wow!

5. Amber says:

Yay!!! Although I’m afraid this means she will be killed off and how much heartache does poor Reid have to go through? :(

6. Shirley Hitzel says:

No Hotch-No Watch

7. Angela says:

YAY Oh, that is fantastic news! About freaking time.
    I’m nervous about the description of her return being part of a “heavy Reid story”, though. If the show kills her off, I swear…

8. Stephanie G. says:

With the return of Emily Prentiss and now a promised “heavy Reid story” that includs his mom, I am excited for season 12!

9. dean says:

Remember what happened when they brought the woman he was in love with onto the show?

Remember what happened when they brought back the man he loved most for an episode?

Yeah, I can’t get excited about this. Too afraid she’ll die.

10. SoFla says:

Not even her return will get me to watch the show anymore. Sad how it has fallen as it was once a great show.

11. Jill Grieve says:

I thought Diane died. Didn’t they do an episode where Reid was grieving the loss of his mother? He even tore apart his own apartment.