Lost in Space Toby Stephens

Lost In Space: Toby Stephens to Star as John Robinson in Netflix Reboot

Netflix’s Lost In Space reboot has found its patriarch.

Black Sails‘ Toby Stephens is set to star as John Robinson in the streamer’s 10-episode remake of the classic series, TVLine has learned. The role was originated by Guy Williams in the ’60s version, and later played by William Hurt in the 1998 feature film.

Stephens, who recently wrapped production on the fourth and final season of Black Sails, is the second actor to board the Legendary TV-produced family drama/sci-fi adventure. He joins the previously-cast Taylor Russell (Falling Skies) as John and Maureen’s eldest daughter Judy Robinson.

blast_off_johnNetflix’s “reimagining” of Lost in Space (which is slated to launch in 2018) will take its cues from the original series and follow the Robinson family as they are forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and their own personal demons.

The project hails from writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter), with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) set as showrunner.

1. Ian says:

Now I need to know who the mama will be played by!

2. HAP says:

Little piece of trivia- Guy Williams was born Armand Catalano.

3. PatriciaLee says:

Eeeek….Noooo! He was the best Rochester, ever! Ahhhh….grrrr…Netflex has struck me in the heart and is reeling me in! I never thought I would see the day, but I’m going to subscribe. Drat, and so goes the last of the 60’s holdouts. Oh, and we are so fortunate. It’s going to be terrific.

4. Nicole Walker says:

This is shaping up to be epic. Glad he’s continuing his action-ing after Black Sails. Now in space!

5. jr. says:

If they are going to change it up a bit, I still think Wanda Sykes would make a great Dr. Smith!

6. LIS biggest fan says:

PLEASE be sure Prof Robinson is written and portrayed as a strong, loving, father…… Not the disintrested whimp he was in the movie. The loving family is key to success!!!!

7. TVFan says:

Are Bill Mumy or Matt LeBlanc going to have any kind of cameo/role in this new production?

• Gracie Noble says:

From what I understand, Mumy passed on the movie (and he would have actually had a substantial role) so I doubt he would want a cameo now, which is too bad. As for LeBlanc…God forbid! We could do better than that for Major West.

• JunkChuck says:

Gain new appreciation for LeBlanc’s turn as Don West by imagining that it’s not LeBlanc but rather Joey Tribbiani getting his big break. LeBlanc as Joey playing West turns a really average movie into an epic. Joey!

8. Arlene says:

How does this work? Does Black Sails get cancelled because its lead gets a new role, or does he get a new role because the show he starred in was cancelled?

• Thea says:

They went in knowing season 4 would be the last. Bittersweet, but I can’t wait to see what other roles the rest of the cast get into. 😊

9. Jasie says:

Would love to see like Sharon Leal in the mother role.

10. D Hewitt says:

I see a failure coming. John Robinson was a great character, but, he was defined by one actor. Be ORIGINAL, and don’t foul things up like the last 2 reboots. Get a new family, and don’t satirize the 60’s show.
    Best advice a long time fan of the series can give!

11. sdjoyce46 says:

Look forward to this reboot, but they have to have a very similar robot, please. It was my favorite character of the show as a kid.

12. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back later in life. I want to encourage that you continue your great work, have a nice afternoon!

13. My spouse and i ended up being really peaceful that Edward could finish up his reports while using the ideas he acquired through the blog. It is now and again perplexing just to possibly be offering strategies the others may have been making money from. And we fully understand we need you to thank because of that. All the illustrations you have made, the easy site navigation, the friendships you will make it easier to create – it is most great, and it’s making our son and our family reason why this situation is excellent, which is rather vital. Thanks for everything!

14. What i don’t understood is in truth how you are now not actually a lot more well-preferred than you might be now. You are so intelligent. You already know therefore significantly in relation to this subject, produced me in my opinion consider it from numerous numerous angles. Its like men and women are not interested except it one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. All the time care for it up!