DWTS Season 23

Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Someone get Merriam-Webster on the phone, because Dancing With the Stars redefined the word “filler” on Tuesday night.

Rather than use the special-night broadcast to showcase more new dance routines, the ABC series instead stretched its first elimination of the season across two unnecessary hours. (Not even American Idol was this self-indulgent! Er, at least not most of the time.)

Before it was revealed which Season 23 amateur got the boot, we were reminded of the contestants’ first two performances — this time with the help of hidden microphones that picked up every word uttered on the dance floor and backstage. (The takeaways: The judging panel is vocal while watching routines; Erin Andrews gives excellent pep talks; and Amber Rose had a major wedgie on Night One. #TheMoreYouKnow)

Charlie Puth and Gavin DeGraw performed. Contestant interviews went on and on. And finally, finally, we were given the season’s first batch of results, denoted below:

FOUR COUPLES IN JEOPARDY
Maureen McCormick and pro Artem Chigvintsev
Ryan Lochte and pro Cheryl Burke
Jake T. Austin and pro Jenna Johnson
Amber Rose and pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy

ELIMINATED
Jake T. Austin and pro Jenna Johnson

Now, tell us: Were Jake and Jenna the right choice for elimination? Who’s in danger heading into Week 3? Share all of your thoughts in the comments section below.

1. Steve says:

Should’ve been Rick Perry, but Jake would’ve been next up.

2. mommaknowsbest says:

No, No, No!!! Rick Perry first!!! Jeezzzz.

3. Angela says:

No real opinion on Jake one way or the other, but how in the hell was Rick Perry not even in jeopardy, let alone eliminated? That truly baffles me. But it’s truly strange that Rick Perry’s still there. Morbid curiosity/fascination keeping him on, perhaps? I dunno.

4. Rachel says:

Not surprised. She’s a new pro and he’s not currently on a show. Should’ve been Rick but he’s got conservative votes plus Emma is popular. The show will continue to highlight Jenna, helping her in the future.

5. DWTS101 says:

Rick should be the next to go.

6. Lisa says:

Rick Perry should have gone home before he even started!

7. Elizabeth says:

I am more than happy that Jake is gone. He didn’t have any appeal as far as I’m concerned. I hope Rick Perry is next to go though.

8. AngelWasHere says:

Rick Perry should have bit the dust. Locate’s pity party is getting on my nerves tho. I was hoping like hell he went home tonight.

• AngelWasHere says:

Lochte I mean. Stupid auto-correct.

• Happy says:

I glad Ryan Lochte stay. I like him . People just need to leave Ryan Lochte along. This isn’t the Olympics this is Dancing with the Stars . He did nothing wrong..

• Anita says:

I’m glad he stayed im not surprised he was in the bottom tho cause he was tied for the 3rd lowest score but yall should stop being so childish just because he was childish in august

• Danielle says:

DWTS rarely has Latinos on their show.. Ryan and Laurie represent gold medal winners and their Latino heritages.. Good for them.. Laurie is a terrific dancer,, seems Laurie will most likely be the winner.. The race car driver seems to be the best dancer from the male celebrities..

• Priscilla Stroud says:

Yes yes yes. He love stealing everyone’s thunder. Such an attention grabber…in my opinion.

9. Beth says:

Rick Perry should’ve gone first and then Jake.

10. Jeannie Ramsey says:

I haven’t watched the second night since the first part of the first season….boring and unnecessary…all we want to know is who gets voted off. I liked the one night format so much better…as far as first night losers, I think the show is set up so that older “stars” or less popular ones will get voted off first…

11. Shaun says:

Gah,Jake is mostly at fault,just so terrible at executing.Jenna to blame for him not following the music all dance.

12. Aeol says:

My goodness that was exhausting. My in laws were visiting from overseas and I thought my FIL was going to stab me at one point, there was so much crap on this episode! Bye young Disney psrson, no idea who you were.

13. ED says:

That’s a shame. Haven’t watched this season because of Lochte, but Jenna was one of my favorites from So You Think You Can Dance, so I was excited to hear she was bumped up to pro status. Usually they try and limp the ex-Disney stars farther along than that. Here’s hoping she gets a better partner next season

• Anita says:

What you mean by limp ? the disney stars been great on this show some of the best ever, their the only group besides gymnasts who’s been consistent on excelling on their seasons….Jake is the worst by far and never has a Disney Star gotta such low scores on their first two weeks…Dwts doesn’t try and do anything

• Snoots57 says:

Although your comments are a wee bit immature, you are passionate and that makes your comments fun to read. But Good Lord, Anita, do try to add more structure to your stream of consciousness – maybe use a little punctuation and always remember: spell check is your friend (yes, even on a phone!).

• Anita says:

Lol I know thats somewhat the point but my auto correct really isnt though because it changes my words !!! I’m 20 years so I do have immaturity still on my side…I stan certain stars because of my youth..

• Anita says:

Plus there is no edit button for me to edit my response btw…so it’s not like I can delete a comment or change it

14. Anita says:

I’m happy Ryan didn’t go home, people can just be so petty it’s not even that serious he’s a nice guy who just happened to lie once damn..hold grudges much !!!! Anyway I’m happy Jake left disney doesn’t need any more embarrassment He was just awful with no personality

• Pete says:

I agree, they giving Lochte those Sabrina votes lol but Jake needed to go I never seen such a young contestent do so poorly on this show smh

• Anita says:

Kyle Massey was way better and I thought he was the worst young disney star but he was the most entertaining out of the DS stars. Jake had nothing, he doesn’t even have a cute face… he looks like he had too many burgers

15. How the heck did Rick Perry not get kicked off, he sucked wind. Had me laughing on Monday.

16. MMD says:

Dave – if you’re around I was wrong and you were right. I didn’t watch but I had predicted after the cast announcements that Ryan Lochte would be the first to go home and you said no way. I am officially now eating crow. :-)

17. The Kaibosh says:

Gone Diego Gone.

18. Ralph Bryan says:

I really like Rick Perry as a fellow Texan and lawmaker but he really is a crappy dancer. Sorry Rick buddy.

• Nancy Brock says:

I don’t like Rick Perry but I thought he improved tremendously from week one to week two and that wss never acknowledged

19. Margaret says:

It’s tough to see any one eliminated but I think the right choice was made as far as next weeks elimination I say either Ryan Lochte or Rick Perry is going home.

20. Margaret says:

Elimination is tough. Either Ryan or Rick are next

21. Carmen Toranzo says:

It was very unfair he never had a chance, giving two fast dances back to back ,he definitely showed he can dance and has rhythm ,unlike some of the other dancers that have two left feet.

22. Don Nicastro says:

Of the 4 couples standing in jeopardy, the couple that did not deserve to go home were the ones that did! The new president of ABC is making yet another bad decision by bringing back the Results shows and milking it to 2 hours. Remember, she is the one who cancelled NASHVILLE and GALAVANT. (The former president of the network cut DWTS to one night a week and loved NASHVILLE and GALAVANT).

23. Priscilla Stroud says:

Yes he should have gone but, Rick Perry should have gone with him.

24. Anita Galliher says:

Nobody was inwatchable, but Rick Perry was worse than Jake T Austin. Should have been the governor!

25. Just one of the reasons why I just don’t watch it anymore. They drag out EVERY episode with all of that backstage stuff (which I couldn’t care less about!), plus, there are also numerous “performances” that I don’t care about seeing either. Just let them dance, critique their performances, and just give the scores, for goodness sake!! We don’t need to know their life stories, their most embarrassing, most exciting, or the saddest times in their lives! NO ONE is interested in that stuff! Just dance! BTW… I miss Brooke Burke_Charvet! I stopped watching when the new girl became a host. She does NOTHING for the show. Let Tom host it alone!

26. Billie Cothrun says:

Worse show ever; waste of 2 hrs. Dances were not the real thing; stupid TV theme music not the beautiful music and costumes in the show of past years. Do it right or drop it.

27. Karlene Osboure says:

Yep! That was the right decision .