Emmys

UnREAL's Shiri Appleby Stands By Season 2, Predicts a 'Better' Season 3

Shiri Appleby knows that Season 2 of UnREAL was, shall we say, polarizing. But, ahead of Season 3 (which starts filming in February), the Lifetime drama’s writers are “really focused already on trying to figure out what worked and didn’t work,” she promised TVLine’s Michael Ausiello on the red carpet at Sunday’s Emmys.

In the wake of Season 2’s criticisms, the show’s scribes, she continued, are busy strategizing “how we can do better and improve for Season 3.”

Not that the actress doesn’t appreciate the gambles that Team UnREAL wagered after roaring out of the gate with the well-received Season 1. “I think the writers took some really big swings,” she said, “and tried to discuss some big topics, which… is commendable.”

Press PLAY on the video above to check out the whole interview — including Appleby and co-star Constance Zimmer’s approach to Emmy night.

1. hurley says:

Season 2 was amazing! Not polarizing for me!

2. I really don’t think it’s fair how everybody on Unreal is more or less apologising for Season 2. I loved it but even if I didn’t, I know a lot of shows have crappy seasons and I never hear their show runners or cast apologising. They should be proud of the season and their hard work and approach the next season with optimism and confidence. If Ryan Murph didn’t apologise for AHS 3-5, then nobody should have to!

3. Jason says:

it wasnt them tackling the issues that was at fault. For me the show just got too dark. It wasnt fun anymore and it focused way too much on Quinn and Rachel. it lost its balance

4. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I don’t get it. I enjoyed season two even with the less than appealing Bachelor. I didn’t care for him but the season was fine and in some instances better than season one. We found out more about what happened to Rachel, etc.

5. Geo says:

There’s a difference between a show dealing with big issues versus just exploiting them for cheap effect. UnReal season 2 didn’t “deal” with issues, they simply exploited them. The problem was they did things like having a black man get shot by the police and, rather than following through with an actual storyline that dealt with how this affected the African-American characters, they instead chose to focus on stupid soap opera hysterics of their white characters. It took them nearly an episode and a half after the shooting for us to see a scene centered on any of the African-American characters at all, and the guy who actually got shot didn’t even appear on the show for many episodes after the shooting (and then was barely on). UnReal season 1 felt like a sharp, smart show that had a focused critique of reality tv; season 2, though, felt like a show that had absolutely no idea about what it wanted to say about social issues other than throwing in images from the actual news every once in a while but using them for the cheapest, laziest reasons.

6. ClearlyDemented says:

Yeah, season 2 was a hot mess. It was somehow very contrived and a run-away train simultaneously. I really liked season 1, but I also really liked season 1 of Grey’s. Sometimes shows with a good voice just become another soap opera.

7. Jess says:

Season 2 was awful. Can jeremy please die?

8. Traci says:

season 2 was great, I loved every episode!!

9. Gina says:

I feel like Rachel needs an actual really good love interest who will stick around and help her to not be so crazy anymore haha. I was kinda sad with the direction they took Jeremy. I loved him at first and him and Rachel and their relationship in the first season. Now it’s all ruined and I can’t stand him. For some reason I liked Adam the best with Rachel. Wish they could find a way to write him back in and have him stick around permanently. I wasn’t a big fan of Coleman either. But oh well.