Emmys

UnREAL EP Marti Noxon: Don't Blame Me for That Disappointing Season 2

Confession: I did not know Marti Noxon had completely abandoned Lifetime’s UnREAL after co-writing the Season 2 premiere when I interviewed her Sunday evening on the Emmys red carpet. I had read the reports of creative friction between her and fellow co-creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, but I assumed — mistakenly so, it turns out — that she had maintained at least a tangential involvement in the series.

VIDEOS UnREAL‘s Shiri Appleby Stands By Season 2, Predicts a ‘Better’ Season 3

That misunderstanding led to a somewhat awkward moment toward the end of our brief Q&A, wherein I lightly grilled Noxon about the polarizing reception the drama’s second season received (including from TVLine’s Kim Roots). And she very politely informed me that, well, it was not her fault.

Press PLAY on the video above and then promptly hop in a shower to wash off all the secondary ickiness.

1. Tori Coop says:

Research for an interview? Research? What is research???

2. the weird thing is gertrude said that Noxon up and left mid season 1 to take care of divorce guide season 1 (the rich female white women with problems show) and she was surprised she rejoined for the promos of s1 of UnReal

3. Jaz says:

I read the headline and I was like “You’ve got to be kidding me?!” But I’m was presently surprised.

It must be hard to see a series you put a lot of time and effort into creating take a turn (in my personal opinion cliche and offensive trash) and then being wrongfully blamed for it.

Now the haters know EXACTLY where to direct their hate mail. If I was Noxon I’d have put my hands up waaaayyyy before now!

4. Lambsilencer says:

In all fairness: Nobody knows everything by heart, and sometimes little things like this slip one’s mind. And on Red Carpet events such as this, one never really knows who will be available for a (normally very short) interview, and you have to be spontaneous with your questions. And he was candid about his mistake in the very first line of his article.
    Mistakes happen, to everyone. He was candid about it, so no reason to be mean about it…

5. KJ says:

That explains a lot!

6. EM says:

I would have sent out press releases to everyone to let them know I didn’t have anything to do with season two if I was her. Not sure the show is recoverable.

7. Lulutoo says:

What was icky? She handled the question very well.

8. Lois says:

To be fair, that could’ve been way more awkward. It was actually a very well-handled misunderstanding, which is the mark of a good interviewer I think!

9. Liz985 says:

Never assume. You make an ass out of u and me.

10. D says:

It was reported elsewhere over the summer that a major reason for season 2 being so bad was because Noxon wasn’t involved. This isn’t exactly a secret.

11. Alyssa says:

Ahhhhhhh… That explains why season 2 was so underwhelming. I have been a huge fan of Noxon ever since her days on Buffy. It makes me sad for UnREAL that she’s no longer involved, but happy that it wasn’t her fault!
    Also, I though her extremely subtle “shade” was super classy. Love Marti!

12. Not a Bravo fan says:

Fair enough, she was not at the helm during UnReal season 2 that thought it was OK to toy with murder as if it was the Breaking Bad of fake reality TV..
    But can she take the blame for the train wreck that is Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce at least? That show was supposed to be feminist, empowering and push things forward for women as per the premise and the promotion they’ve been doing from the start. Instead we’re stuck with women who are doormats and some crappy story line that makes the lead a pathetic and egotistical mess. Not even Edelstein can save that show when the material is not there in the scripts. How about Abby parents her kids before wanting to hold on to her husband’s mistress’ baby simply because she’s approaching menopause (which as a self helped books author she should know the symptoms of)? Or how about she stops letting men treat her like garbage, Jake first? Marti’s writing for that show feels like it comes from the 80s and I am being kind. It’s not doing the service it should.

13. Luli says:

No!!!! I’m so sad she is not coming back for S3!! I read that she left in season 2, but I hoped that she would come back. The show really changed after she left.

14. Whatever says:

From my completely unresearched understanding; the LIfetime brought Noxon in to help Shapiro, a newbie to scripted program to shape the show into shape, hence the co-creator credit. Shapiro was unhappy that Noxon for not being there 100% due to her commitment with Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce in Unreal’s season 1, and resulting in Noxon leaving after Season 2 premiere. Shapiro may be a great with shaping and running reality programs, but it is not the same as scripted programs, may be it’s not a bad idea for Lifetime to pair Shapiro up with a more experienced show runner again for season 3.

15. Whimsical says:

I’m still blaming you for the disappointing Buffy season 6.

16. spindae2 says:

To be fair the premiere was probably one of the weaker eps of the season.

17. geegee says:

Maybe she should write her next show based on exploring these animosities.

18. erik says:

She’s great. Did awesome work on Mad Men, and, of course, made Buffy what Buffy was. Of course, Joss Whedon gets all the credit (but if you know anything about the comic books that came after the show and are under Joss’ control) you know that that credit is undeserved.