Gotham Recap Season 3 Premiere

Gotham Season 3 Premiere Recap: Monster Mash

Fox’s Gotham opened Season 3 with a bit of heartbreak, steering Jim Gordon into a new line of work. Meanwhile, Fish Mooney aimed to assemble an army, Barbara and Tabitha did some clubbing and Bruce Wayne threw stones at the wrong birds.

Having gone to patch things up with Lee, only to find her kissing some other man, Jim poured himself into a whiskey glass, spending his nights as a bounty hunter who rounds up Indian Hill experiments for $5,000 a pop. (The GCPD wants the “monsters” off the streets, sure, but Mayor James sees them not as threats but souls in need of help.)

The “big fish” for Jim, however, is, fittingly, Fish, for whom Penguin has offered a million-dollar reward — dead, alive or cut into sticks. Jim gets a bead on Mooney, only to run up against some of her enhanced goons, including a batty man as well as Marv, a creepy guy whose touch rapidly ages you, into dust if he holds on long enough. Later, news reporter Valerie Vale comes to Jim with a “tip,” from Selina, on where to find Fish, but that turns into a trap that captures Miss Peabody. Hugo Strange’s No. 1 is “commanded” by Fish to “fix” it so Mooney’s DNA doesn’t deteriorate each time she uses her “ability.” When Ethel insists she can be of no help, Marv turns her into skin and bones.

Meanwhile, Bruce has returned from a months-long retreat to Switzerland (though yes, Selina, Italy is better), where he built up the gumption to give the Wayne Enterprises board members an ultimatum: If you’re with the ominous Court of Owls, get in touch with me. And get in touch they do, when at episode’s end, the henchman known as Talon grapples with and bests Alfred before whisking Bruce away into the dark night.

Elsewhere:

* Penguin and (the hysterically lovelorn) Butch commended Barbara and Tabitha (Happy Bisexual Awareness Week!) on the opening of their club, The Sirens, though the ladies declined to pay him for protection. Nor did they wish to pony up to his gangland rival, whom Babs bludgeoned good — before Penguin ultimately put a bullet in the ding-dong’s melon.

* Bruce’s long-haired doppelganger, who was glimpsed at the end of the May finale and will come to be known as “Five,” lurked in shadows mostly, receiving a food handout from an oblivious Selina and then spooking Ivy Pepper, who mistook him for Bruce. Ivy in fact would then go looking for her best gal pal, only to get mistaken for a spy by Fish’s henchmen. Marv grabbed the street rat for but a moment, before she plunged into a grisly drain pipe and got washed away, fated to resurface looking… different.

Want scoop on Gotham, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. steven says:

I hope that Lee comes back.

2. Tomm Huntre says:

I really enjoyed this episode. Last year did t really hold my attention. I see a ton of possibilities for season three. Extremely strong start to the season!0

3. ndixit says:

Good premiere. I hope Fish Mooney doesn’t last long though, or at least remains toned down.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good season premiere episode. Good to have the show back. Excited to see the next episode!

5. LADY_in_MD says:

That was a good season premiere
    Why do I love evil Barbra so much??!!

6. James D says:

good premiere. I’m glad it’s back on.

7. Red Snapper says:

I thought it was a great premiere! It was a good mix of where are they now and an introduction to new characters and story lines. I am very interested in seeing what the do with the Court of Owls arc and how the doppelganger fits into it. Also, was it just me or did Miss Peabody’s necklace resemble the Court of Owls masks? I couldn’t decide if it was on purpose or not.

8. Kiwi3 says:

Good kickoff to the new season! Really looking forward to it!

9. MarcNYY618 says:

Ok, why is Fish Mooney still on this show? Jada Smith is a terrible actress, and the character wasn’t popular at all. Not only that, when she left the show, the show took off creatively.

She’s the villain no one wants, in a city that doesn’t have the hero it needs because he’s like 12.

10. All I can say is, THAT DAMN SEXY ALFRED

11. Cas says:

I enjoyed it. I don’t mind Fish. I love evil Barbara. Also, it looked to me like Lee was kissing the doppleganger Jim that escaped with the other crazies. I didn’t see his face but from behind it looked a lot like him. Also really not a fan of Lee.

12. Writerpatrick says:

Now we know how they’re aging up Ivy. Putting in a character with the power to age people almost seemed like it was done just for this purpose. I wouldn’t be surprised if he dies in the next episode since his job is done.

13. grys03 says:

Been a good start to the new season so far – both Gotham & Blindspot have returned to their best.
    Nice to see Gordon a bit more edgy. Fish is way better than she was in season 1. & Babitha were awesome :)
    Alfred gets beat up as usual. & Bruce is still a wimpy shy of useless though his dialog has improved. Hope we see him fill out & at least hold his own occasionally.

14. Sawyer says:

So is Leslie Hendrix (Law & Order: Criminal Intent) the mistress of the Court of Owls? I saw her name in the front credits and she’s listed as “Kathryn” on IMDB.

15. Good start to the season. Introduce a couple of arcs, close up a couple others. I prefer things to wrap up onscreen, rather than a comment or blurb somewhere else where you could miss it.