Dancing With the Stars Season 23

Dancing With the Stars Recap: Which Couple Will Be the First to Go?

Judging by Dancing With the Stars‘ new standards, Monday’s episode of the ABC series was fantastic, simply because no protestors rushed the stage and derailed the broadcast. (Pretty low bar… but it is a reality competition show, after all.)

Still, even without any Ryan Lochte-related drama, the second installment of Season 23 was genuinely a strong outing. Confidence was higher, routines were more involved and, if Amber Rose and Maksim Chmerkovskiy’s Game of Thrones dance is any indication, the season’s entire set design budget has already been spent.

The first elimination of the season won’t happen until tomorrow night — but before we get your predictions on who will be ousted, let’s revisit the evening’s best and worst performances on TV Night.

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Laurie Hernandez and pro Val Chmerkovskiy (Jive) — In the interest of enjoyable recaps, I solemnly swear that Laurie and Val won’t be the only couple snagging top honors every week — but this early in the competition, how can they not? The Olympic gymnast’s energy was so infectious throughout her Ducktales-inspired routine, and her footwork so crisp, that it’s virtually impossible not to consider that Mirrorball hers to lose. At least until her fellow competitors rise to the occasion. Judges’ Score: 32/40

MOST PLEASANT SURPRISE
Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds and pro Allison Holker (Argentine Tango) — Who knew the X-Files theme music could be so sensual? Who knew Babyface could pull off those kicks and flicks so effortlessly? Who knew two dancers could get that close without actually kissing? Babyface and Allison’s steamy number left us with quite a few questions, but one very clear answer, too: The R&B singer should not be counted out as a real contender. Judges’ Score: 30/40

MOST UNCOMFORTABLE PLOT
Jake T. Austin and pro Jenna Johnson (Cha-Cha)Go, Diego, Go! may have been the animated series where Jake got his big break… but couldn’t he and Jenna have finagled a Wizards of Waverly Place-inspired performance instead? Turning a theme song intended for 5-year-olds into a sexed-up Latin dance was just wrong — and the young actor’s sloppy footwork didn’t help, either. Judges’ Score: 24/40

WORST OF THE NIGHT

OK, your turn! Which Dancing contestant do you think will get the boot first? Leave your predictions in the comments section below!

1. Angela says:

I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. I was kinda thinking similarly.
    I loved what Babyface and Allison did with the “X-Files” theme. I wasn’t sure how they could turn that music into something to dance to at first, but yeah, it worked quite nicely. He’s among my favorites thus far. Leslie, too (and ah, man, hearing the “Ducktales” theme again…meeeeeeemories…:D). And I don’t know how far Maureen will go, but I’m glad she seemed to have much more confidence in herself this week. I’d be fine with her sticking around for a while longer, too.
    As for other stuff, the “Taxi” and “Bewitched” dances were cute and charming :). And I got a REAL kick out of seeing Vanilla Ice getting all Al Bundy on us :p.

2. hector says:

Laurie Killed it….but Jake getting the boot, worst disney star ever !!!!!!!! pleasent surprise from Babyface

3. Drew says:

So two episodes in and no mention has yet been made the Jake T. Austin was on The Fosters. Leftover tension there? Even if not, I agree his was the most uncomfortable performance of the night.

4. MMB says:

I would cut the field down considerably… Rick, Amber, Ryan, and Jake should all leave ASAP!

• Anita says:

Jake should be the first then Rick but I have a feeling hes gonna be that one terrible dancer who makes it to the quarter finals…..Ryan and Amber have potential especially Ryan

• Elizabeth says:

As usual Laurie was fabulous… I really like Vanilla Ice’s positive personality,, I think he could do a lot better… I think Ryan could improve… I thought Megatron looked cute as Urkel because he is so tall… Jenna and Gleb are the sexy couple… I find Jake a little boring but at least he tried.. Anyway,, I love the show..

• Koko Handy says:

Yep, Jake and Rick can both go – in whatever order – but soon. I think Ryan has potential; he just has to get there.

5. Diane says:

That XFiles routine was fab. Go Babyface and Allison!

6. Anita says:

Jake is terrible its time for him to leave !!!! Disgrace to Disney

7. Jerry says:

Are we just not going to congratulate Terra on doing fantastic on one of the hardest dances to do on this show….The quickstep is way harder than the Argentine Tango

8. Michelle says:

I’d choose Rick Perry to leave first, but I suspect lots of Republicans will vote him through and keep him in a while longer.

9. Beth says:

Can we give props to #teamstopandgo, James & Sharna? I thought they did great for only 1 1/2 days of practice/

10. Nancy says:

I think Jake should leave first. I think almost every one knows who’s going to walk off with the mirror ball this season!

11. Jmw says:

Ryan lochte is a slime and a scum . Goodbye

12. Belle Book says:

*WORST OF THE NIGHT
    I think we all know who gets this honor. His name rhymes with Mick Cherry, and that 22-out-of-40 score was possibly a little too generous.*

If you mean Rick Perry, I agree that he was the worst of the night and I’d definitely say that the 22 was too generous. He should have gotten a 20 at most.

13. Henry vera says:

Ryan Lochte AND HER PARTNER SHOULD THE ONE THAT WE WANT OUT…

• David H says:

Wow, and you used all caps so it MUST BE IMPORTANT

I think Jake could do better with a more seasoned pro. I also think they killed a potentially wonderful moment with Maureen McCormick with such terrible costuming and choreography – why was Marcia wearing a doo-rag?

• jp says:

sorry – I love cheryl and don’t want her to go. I think it will come down to ryan and laurie at the end. Guess you can stop watching.

• 1234567 says:

News Flash: Ryan Lochte is a man

14. Sara says:

Ryan should have gotten at least one 7, but I liked his attitude after the scores when Tom asked if he was disappointed and he seemed happy with the scores. He has potential. Laurie is going to win, without a doubt. I wanted to like Amber’s more than I actually did. Maureen and Vanilla Ice were overscored in my opinion. Either Rick or Jake should go home first. I would prefer Jake to go first, as at least Rick actually tried to dance, rather than just pose while his partner danced around him like Jake.

15. Anna says:

Why is no one talking about Jana and Gleb?! Ugh. Their chemistry is crazy, although people immediately assume she’s sleeping with him because she’s going through a divorce. I figured there’d be more OTH fans here to vote for her.

16. Plankton5165 says:

Jake will leave first, no surprise at all.

17. BeeBop says:

Were we the only ones who thought Jenna’s costume was a really icky especially the dark spangles in a most awkward place – I felt a little queasy just watching the routine but maybe it was just me. Jake hasn’t been given very good music to dance to and I actually find Perry to be more charming than expected so think it will be Jake going home. That said it is the first week so it could be anyone.

• I agree! it was horrible! I thought maybe I was the only one, and came across this thread just by googling icky go diago go DWTS costume. It was hard to look away I just couldn’t stop staring at it thinking.. My GOD! That’s awful, who was the costume designer??

18. macd says:

Once again, Derek Hough showed his genius by managing to turn an impossible-to-dance-to melody (the theme from “Taxi”?!!!) into an elegant foxtrot. Hough & Henner are this season’s class act and provided the evening’s only moments of finesse and fun. My thanks to Len for being the only judge to give them the high score and praise they deserved. Judge Julianne looked like hell and seems to take far too much pleasure in underscoring her vastly more talented brother. Jealous much, Jules? The sublime Cheryl Burke is also doing wonders with Ryan Lochte, not only dance-wise but also bringing out his appealing, likeable, down-to-earth personality. He also has a lovely, loving mother, and I wish both of them the best.

19. AngelWasHere says:

“Turning a theme song intended for five-year-olds into a sexed-up Latin dance was just wrong.”

Yeah I was also thinking the same thing. I was so uncomfortable. LOL!

I want Lochte to go, but Rick Perry will be leaving tonight.

• Tawnya says:

DWTS hardly ever has Latin people on the show as pros or celebrities .. The show isn’t diverse enough so I hope half Cuban Ryan stays on longer and of course Laurie will probably win the contest… Amber seems a little uncomfortable,, I thought she would have danced a lot better.. Best wishes to all the contestants…

20. Mommaknowsbest says:

Please get rid of creepy Rick Perry.

21. DennyT says:

obvious ploy to force out dancers, and ignore public’s voting. producers decide which couples compete in match-ups, and by doing so, they can manipulate and protect certain dancers by matching them up with contestants that will most likely lose against the protected contestant. with immunity. voter’s are left with only half the celebrities eligible to be voted off. In this way, impact of public votes is diminished.

22. Sharon Burns says:

I think Val’s partner is good and very sweet, but I really think the judges praise her to much!! That’s the same way they did Bendie Erwin. In the judges eyes she never does anything wrong. They are some real good dancers this year, and I just wish the judges would stop that praising one contestant and give credit were it’s due. That kind of stuff kinda ruins the show for me!!