Emmys

Emmys 2016: Grade Jimmy Kimmel's Opening Monologue, Return as Host

It wasn’t high-fiving the President of the United States, but it certainly came close.

Jimmy Kimmel Live! host Jimmy Kimmel kicked the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards Sunday —  his second time emceeing the broadcast — with a caravan through current TV.

An opening taped piece found Kimmel catching a ride to the ceremony in The People v. O.J. Simpson‘s white Bronco (with Malcolm Jamal-Warner), Modern Family‘s Dunphy minivan (with Ty Burr, Julie Bowen, Nolan Gould, Sarah Hyland and Ariel Winter), Veep‘s presidential limo — (with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tony Hale and chauferred by Jeb Bush, of all people) — James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke car (complete with Wham! flight of fancy) and a Game of Thrones dragon (piloted by Emilia Clarke).

Some highlights from the intro:

* “Did you know you can make $12 an hour driving for Uber?” Bush asked Kimmel, later wondering aloud what being nominated felt like.

* “The Emmys are so diverse this year,” Kimmel joked, “the Oscars are now telling people we’re one of their closest friends. We’re not, by the way.”

* Kimmel pinned Donald Trump’s political successes on his Celebrity Apprentice producer extraordinaire. “Thanks to Mark Burnett, we don’t have to watch reality shows anymore, because we’re living in one.”

Downton Abbey star Maggie Smith’s yearly absence from the broadcast was noted. “This year, she had a Sunday ceramics class she couldn’t get out of,” Kimmel joked.

Watch Kimmel’s opening bit (at the top of this post) and monologue (below), grade his intro and overall performance via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choices!

1. CourtTV says:

I laughed so I liked it obviously. I also blame Mark Burnett.

2. Terri W says:

sorry..do not think it’s funny to make a joke about the muder of nicole brown sumpson and ron goldman..kimmel s remark to cuba gooding jr. was uncalled for.

• rowan77 says:

Grow a sense of humor. It was over 20 years ago and comedy should be inappropriate at times.

• CG says:

Perhaps you should grow a sense of what is appropriate–making jokes about a murder victim, isn’t–2 years, 20 years or 40 years later. Here’s hoping you never lose a family member to a violent crime–if you do, you can call Kimmel to be host of the funeral. SMDH

• rowan77 says:

As it turns out, I have lost a family member and more than one friend to a violent crime. And since when is comedy supposed to be about what’s appropriate? I choose not to wallow 20+ years after the fact – and it doesn’t mean I don’t miss them or that I wasn’t torn apart when it happened. I just have a sense of humor about the world we live in and about myself. You, apparently do not. Sad for you.

• KatsMom says:

How exactly was the Gooding joke uncalled for? There was no disrespect shown to the deceased or their families with the joke. The essence of the joke was the quality of Gooding’s performance. Maybe if Gooding had somehow managed to humanize OJ and make audiences sympathetic to him, raise the idea that he really was innocent, I could see your point. But, if anything, as the joke ultimately pointed out when Kimmel suggested Gooding was actually guilty, was that the miniseries ultimately highlighted what a horrible miscarriage of justice that trial was. If I were the families of the victim, I’d be thankful for that somewhat small consolation, as difficult as it undoubtedly is to have their nightmare back in the public’s consciousness once again.

3. Kevin K says:

The opening was so hilarious not to mention they had a shot of the van from The A-Team. Kimmel and Corden were so funny when they sang Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham! during a Carpool Karaoke montage.

4. Eileen maltais says:

Did you not have any money,to hire a real celebrity,that would bring it

5. Eileen maltais says:

Cheap labour jimmy kimmel

6. Ann says:

I thought his opening monologue was good. I felt the Maggie Smith admonishment was a bit much and went on too long. It was also unfunny and just inappropriate to call her out when there are so many who don’t attend the Emmy’s, he should have been more respectful.

• Marcie says:

I agree. I didn’t like that very much. She’s quite old, while the photos he showed of her attending previous awards ceremonies was from a long time ago. Disrespectful.

• Whatever says:

Precisely! Traveling from England to a hot LA just for the weekend to turn up for award show that goes on forever is not exactly gentle on anyone’s health. Beside Dame Maggie doesn’t need to network or maintain profile for work.

7. Stephanie says:

I usually like these things. As a conservative I get tired of all of the rude comments and jokes. I know there are conservative actors but they are never invited to speak or they don’t care to put up with the liberal rudeness. I won’t be watching anymore.

• elf says:

Or the conservative actors just aren’t very good and don’t win many awards, depriving them of the opportunity to give acceptance speeches.

8. c-mo says:

Thanks for posting both vids, they were hilarious! I’m not a big fan of awards shows, the acceptance speeches are too political and preachy, so as in past years, I watched shows I DVR’d and the football game.

9. TV Gord says:

I thought Jimmy was hilarious and the entire show was very entertaining. I’m also getting quite a laugh from some of the humorless people in this comments section.

10. Donna says:

I truly enjoyed the Emmys. Bizarre how Jimmy Kimmel looked so much like George Michael. Come back next year.

11. Kathy P says:

He should apologise to Dame Maggie Smith for his insulting remarks. I wonder whether he will be making long haul flights when he is in his eighties. I am pleased to see that she has risen above his cheap comments with a dignified and amusing repost. James Cordern for host next year please.

• TV Gord says:

You must realize that he’s telling jokes and that part of the joke is that a woman in her eighties doesn’t need to cross the ocean to pick up some puny American award. Are you really that humorless?