Emmys
Emmys 2016

Emmys 2016: Best, Worst, Weirdest, Funniest and Most Moving Moments

Don’t be sad because the 2016 Emmys are over. Smile because, thanks to intrepid YouTube users, you can watch the Stranger Things kids deliver PB&Js made by Jimmy Kimmel’s mom whenever you like.

The 68th Primetime Emmys took place Sunday night, bringing TV’s best and winningest stars to Los Angeles’ Microsoft Theater for hours of teary thank-yous, exuberant acceptance speeches and well-composed, “It was an honor to be nominated” faces on those not lucky enough to take home a golden trophy.

Of course, we couldn’t let the three-hour telecast go by without singling out our favorite moments, be they hilarious (a Veep EP’s plea for someone to take his parent-volunteering slot in the morning) or head-scratching (what color was that actress going for, exactly?).

So click through the gallery on the right for our take on the hottest, wittiest, prettiest and weirdest moments from this year’s ceremony, then hit the comments: What were your must-sees from Emmys 2016?

1. Z says:

The Lead Drama actress category was so stacked I would be happy for any of those women to win but I have never clapped so hard when tatiana Maslany was anoounced as the winner.

I know it’s a bit crazy but I was kinda disappointed when Dame Maggie Smith won, same with Ben Mendelson.

• Ron says:

Same, same, and same. That Lead Actress category was probably the toughest of the night. I also would’ve been happy for any of them, because they all deserve it. But when Tatiana was announced, I jumped up and cheered so loudly–partially out of complete shock, and partly out of sheer excitement for her.
      I think Ben Mendelsohn is great, but I think he might’ve been my last choice in that category. Also, I worship the ground Dame Maggie Smith walks on. Such a living legend. But I really believe that award should’ve gone to Lena Headey. For me, Lena had the best performance of anyone nominated in that category.

2. Kate says:

Patton Oswalts’s speech was great. It was a lovely way to dedicate it to his wife and made you hope she is waiting for him! For a worst moment, cutting off Aziz Ansari.

• Kim R says:

I just came to the comments to say this. It really touched me and it must have been so bittersweet for him that she wasn’t there to see him win his first Emmy. For any of us who have lost someone, the big moments just magnify their absence even more.

3. Brian says:

Good show. Loved the Veep and People vs. OJ wins and don’t even watch Orphan Black and even I was happy to see Tatiana win.

4. Kevin K says:

Jimmy Kimmel spoofing Carpool Karaoke with James Corden was hilarious not to mention singing Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! BTW, Kimmel does a great parody of George Michael.

5. dan says:

Jimmy Kimmel was the weakest part of the show, except for the bit with Matt Damon. Why did Taraji change dresses and put on a wig for presenting? Surprised and happy that Ben Mendleson won for Bloodline. Also pleasantly surprised that my favorite episode of Master of None won for best writing. And really pleased about the OJ mini-series love (but I would’ve been shocked if Cuba Gooding or Travolta won). The In Memorium segment and the tribute to Gary Shandling were well done. But Kimmel’s comment about next year’s In Memorium having to top this year was groan worthy and the audience didn’t laugh. Too bad ABC feels compelled to use Kimmel as host. The PB&J bit was a total ripoff of Ellen having pizza delivered to the Oscars (and didn’t they sell Girl Scout cookies this past year?).

6. Lala says:

I’ve never been so bored in my life…I was quite excited about some of the wins but generally it was a yawn fest..same old winners. Matt Damon was funny though.

7. TV Gord says:

I can’t remember when I last enjoyed the Emmys this much! Thanks to Jimmy, and Tatiana and Rami are the new face of Emmy! Just great, that’s all.

8. MalsDoxy says:

I only watch 2-3 hours of TV a week, haven’t seen any of these

• Snoots57 says:

Uh. Thanks for sharing that, I guess? :-)

• Ron says:

Well, given that there are 168 hours in a week, I would think the chances that the only shows nominated just happen to fall within your 2-3 hour a week window are pretty slim, to say the absolute least. I also find it odd that you’re visiting and commenting on a website dedicated to television when barely 1% of your week is devoted to watching television…

9. M3rc_Nate says:

Love that the speech from Alan Yang. Even as a white guy it has been annoying to hear Hollywood preach diversity non-stop but only ever talk about black people (the second most represented color/ethnicity in Hollywood, with the rest not being even close). I also like that he didn’t blame it straight up on Hollywood, but makes a true that rings true; in Asian families there is a strong cultural push to get into careers in the medical field and such, but a disapproval of the arts such as acting or directing. To have more Asians in Hollywood there has to be a slight cultural shift where parents aren’t so against their kids following that career/passion path.
    I will say this, while I found Kimmel to be funny, my biggest issue with him no matter where he is, is that he goes negative. He likes to pick at people and enjoys making things awkward and uncomfortable. Sometimes it’s funny but sometimes I expect a actor to come out (a little self righteously) and say “that was rude.”

10. parstl says:

I discovered Orphan Black streaming this summer and was hooked. Tatiana was so deserving as were all of the actresses in that lead category. I thought she was a long shot but was elated to see her and the show get the recognition. The Emmys were far more enjoyable than the Oscars this year and more supportive of diversity.

11. Personally I thought the Memoriam was really nice this year. Even if a lot of it did feel like a punch to the gut.I mean I knew some were going to hit hard (Rickman, Bowie, Wilder), but some of the others surprised me at how hard they hit me. Of particular note was the double one for Jack Larson and Noel Neill. Doing their’s to the clip of Jimmy & Lois introducing themselves was rather heart wrenchingly inspired.

12. Tom says:

How come nobody’s mentioned the poor taste that was the “Dr. Bill Cosby” announcement?

13. Terri says:

Jimmy kimmell is simply biggest J K today! Love ya and you did fabulous tonight! Xo

14. Shira Simon says:

It’s “sheket b’vakasha.”

15. hurley says:

I just learned that Aziz Ansari isn’t gay! I don’t know why but I thought that for a while! Any way, random thought, it was a good show.

• TV Gord says:

That’s hilarious! People used to be shocked when someone turned out to be gay. Now, it’s when someone is straight! I guess that’s progress. :-D

16. AM says:

I can’t get over the fact that they showed clips for Lead Actor in a Drama but failed to do so for Lead Actress in a Drama. That would’ve taken, what, 90 seconds tops? Could’ve cut out some of Kimmel’s bits earlier.

And I can’t decide how I feel about the look on Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ face during Kate McKinnon’s acceptance in light of her later announcement about her dad’s passing. Unfortunate timing, or an eye roll because of Kate’s mention of her father no longer with us and Julia’s loss was much more recent?

17. Ro says:

Best part: NYPD Blue presenters (I miss that show), Rami Malek’s line and Veep’s showrunner acceptance speech. Worst part: I’m not a big Jimmy Kimmel fan. Bring back Ellen or Tina/Amy,

18. mo says:

and we all wonder why Terrance Howard is angry and difficult about not being recognized? and feeling like he has to stand up for himself? Ironman

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

He should be angry. I really don’t understand why he doesn’t get any recognition for his acting. I think he’s great as Lucious Lyon. And I’ve been a fan of his since ‘Hustle and Flow’.

19. Kim says:

Am I the only one that cringed when they passed out PB&Js to celebrities? There are so many homeless people that they could have given them too. I’m sure a lot of them just ended up in the trash.

20. LOL says:

That social media gaffe is made all the worse by the fact that Cuba Gooding Jr. didn’t win

21. Zazz says:

The best line of the night was ….we can only afford one Epipe