Fall TV Preview

Rocky Horror Picture Show on Fox: Watch the First 5 Minutes Now

Anyone up for a science fiction double feature?

Fox at midnight gave eager beavers a five-minute sneak peek of its upcoming Rocky Horror Picture Show reboot on Periscope, and thanks to one tech-savvy fan, the clip has made its way onto YouTube. (UPDATE: The video has been pulled offline.)

While we don’t get to see any of the principal cast performing — nor is there a pair of gold undies in sight — we do get to enjoy Ivy Levan serenading the audience with the show’s first number.

Fox’s Rocky Horror also counts among its cast: Laverne Cox (Orange Is the New Black) as Dr. Frank-N-Furter, Victoria Justice (Eye Candy) as Janet, Ryan McCartan (Liv and Maddie) as Brad, Reeve Carney (Penny Dreadful) as Riff Raff, Adam Lambert (Glee) as Eddie, Annaleigh Ashford (Masters of Sex) as Columbia and Christina Milian (Grandfathered) as Magenta.

Rocky Horror arrives Oct. 20. Hit PLAY on the video above, then drop a comment below: Will you be watching?

1. Isaac says:

After seeing this, I’m a bit more excited. Gives a us an updated version to create new callouts.

• Chuck says:

I’ve seen the first 30 minutes and this is the best part. I did a preview of what I’ve seen on my website, hotchka.com, if you’re interested to read it.

2. Eric says:

Hopefully this reboot can attract a new, young audience who may be reluctant to watch an “old” movie, but as a fan of the original, I don’t have much interest in this and this video didn’t convince me otherwise. There is no surpassing the classic. I’m 21, and many people I know (myself included) flock to a local theatre every month for a midnight showing of the original film; if there’s one thing I hope for this movie is that it introduces newcomers to the characters and story, and shows people just how cool Rocky Horror is, even at 41 years old.

3. Walkie says:

Victoria Justice in very little clothing is enough for me to watch.

4. The Beach says:

Love the usherette. If this is an indication of what comes next I’m pumped. But from photos I’ve seen of Rocky, he looks like a brunette. It’s just a little thing but if you’re going to stay true then “I’ve been making a man, with blonde hair and a tan” should mean something.

• Chuck says:

There have been stage versions where the lyrics were changed to “with dark hair and a tan.” I believe the recent BBC America broadcast of the London stage show did that. I’ve seen the first 30 minutes up to the “Sweet Transvestite” number and the lyric here is “blond hair and a tan.”

5. Shaun says:

Never understood the appeal of this weirdo movie

6. Paul Ketz says:

What a star making moment for Ivy. I love it! I love her! And I am glad she is getting the exposure she needs through this project. I hope we see MUCH more of her in the near future! Huge fan.

7. iHeart says:

hey who played the projection guy there? I kind of want to say is that Meat loaf? but there’s no way that’s meatloaf

8. Chuck says:

I’ve previewed the first thirty minutes and this is the best part. If you’re a fan of the original, there’s nothing here to make you forget it. In fact, they seem to go out of their way to not let you forget it with dialog that’s hits every beat and pause exactly and some shot-for-shot moments (like the shot of Brad kicking the flat tire and Janet’s legs following him away). The whole thing is actually a movie within a movie, so it occasionally cuts back to an audience in the theater doing the audience participation lines. The biggest gripe — and nothing against her — is the casting of Laverne Cox. You can’t have an obvious female with prominent breasts, dressed in a spangly, Las Vegasy showgirl outfit convincingly sing the line “I’m not much of a man by the light of day.” No kidding … you’re a woman! A woman (trans or not) dressed in female attire is not a “sweet transvestite.” The casting makes absolutely zero sense. It’s like no one associated with this project has any idea what a transvestite is, not even Adam Lambert who should have taken the role but turned it down to not offend the trans community. What?! Unless at some point after what I saw they do address the fact that this Frank-N-Furter is trans … but that seems to be an unnecessary plot device to justify the casting. We’ll have to wait and see on that. And unless that does happen, there really isn’t anything new except for this opening number.

• Well Chuck, in my opinion, this is the comment of the year! Unfortunately the media/movie/tv producers have been blurring the lines between drag queens, transvestites and transgender girls for as far back as I can remember, Unintentional or not, its been done AND it makes life difficult for us.

But either way, you showed your wisdom with that post
      thanks

• Cassie says:

Thank you. I’m a big fan of the original, and casting a woman in that role (which they also did in the Glee Rocky Horror episode) is missing the point. I have nothing against Laverne Cox since I’ve never seen her in anything and don’t know much about her, but the casting just doesn’t make any sense to me.

9. Matthew B Lawler says:

Unfortunately I was unable to view the video it says it’s been blocked by Fox

10. Writerpatrick says:

FOX has already blocked the video making this whole article pointless.

11. Carol C says:

Darn, didn’t catch it in time. Guess I have to wait a month plus to watch it.

12. datdudemurphy says:

i feel a little better knowing that they got Tim Curry to at least cameo

13. Lyn says:

I’ll watch it for Adam Lambert but I’m not optimistic about the rest of it.