Donald Trump Dr. Oz

Trump Shares 'Excellent' Health Report on Dr. Oz, Dodges Exercise Question

“Is Donald Trump fit to be president?” It’s a question Americans will be asking themselves until Election Day — and it’s one Dr. Mehmet Oz attempted to answer on his show Thursday.

“The health of the candidates has become a front-and-center issue in this campaign, and the call for transparency has never been louder,” Oz began at the top of the hour. “We’ve also invited Secretary Hillary Clinton, and she’s considering.”

Oz began by asking Trump what he does for exercise, to which Trump implied that merely speaking to a crowd in a hot room is a “pretty healthy act,” likening it to a sauna. “I guess that’s a form of exercise,” Trump concluded. (This would have been a good time for Oz to challenge Trump’s claim, but he decided to go the Matt Lauer route and let it slide.)

Next, Oz asked Trump a series of basic questions about his health. The 6-foot-3, 236-lb. candidate admitted to being on a statin to treat his high cholesterol, but boasted about his other high-functioning facilities. “I try to stay out of the sun for the most part,” he said when asked about his skin. “I’ve had no major problems.”

Trump also did a little sweet-talking, telling Oz that wife Melania is a “big fan of the show,” adding, “This is, in a way, like going to see to my own doctor.” (For the record, it is absolutely not like going to see one’s own doctor.)

Then, the big moment finally arrived. Trump whipped out a letter from his doctor — “respected guy, good guy” Dr. Harold Bornstein — with a breakdown of his latest physical. Click on the thumbnail below to see the full-sized document:

trump-document

“If a patient of mine had these records, I’d be really happy and I’d send them on their way,” Oz said after analyzing the documents in full.

When asked why he didn’t release his records sooner, Trump replied, “I didn’t think it was necessary. The public’s known me for a long time and they’ve never seen me in the hospital. I had my appendix out when I was 11, and that was the last time I was in a hospital. That was a one-night deal.”

The allegedly hard-hitting episode softened further with a visit from Trump’s daughter Ivanka, who waxed poetic about what a great grandfather he is. She even defended her father against the “false narrative” that he doesn’t respect women.

“I think I could lose a little weight,” Trump finally concluded in the episode’s final segment. “I’ve sort of always been a little bit this way. It’s tough because of the way I live, but the one thing I would like to do is to drop 15 to 20 pounds.”

Did Trump’s appearance on Dr. Oz appease your concerns about the candidate’s health? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the special episode below.

1. JBC says:

Honestly I was never concerned with Mr. Trump’s health, as he seems to be pretty energetic doing all those rallies. Hope Mrs. Clinton will go on Dr. Oz. More concerned with her recent coughing spells and head twitches and of course the collapse at the 9/11 memorial. Since she is on strong blood thinners with history of concussion and blood clots, it would be good to know more about that. I wish them both good health.

• Dave says:

She’s unfit to be President from many aspects but the physical aspect is definitely up there. She shouldn’t be ashamed. Many older women are in failing health. She needs to take it easy. Unfortunately for her, the job as president does not warrant taking it easy.

• Katherine215 says:

Good lord, sexist much? Her health is not failing. She keeps a more hectic schedule than you or I could ever hope to maintain, she comes into contact with thousands of germy people a week, and she got sick. The human body does that sometimes when you overwork it. I know it’s hard, but try and grab back hold of reality.

• The Kaibosh says:

Yeah and FDR was unqualified too right?

• Rob Horine says:

My mom had a recent stroke. And she’s doing better than Hillary. And my mom is 3 years older than her.

Funny, media was worried about John McCain’s skin cancer (rightly so) but brush aside Hillary’s health concerns with cries of “Sexist”, “Misogynistic” and “Conspiracy Theories”.

• Mary says:

Did you forget that Hillary released medical record many months ago, and yet Trump and the GOP kept spewing s..t about it. Yes she got sick, like most normal human beings. It doesn’t make her unfit to be President. Trump being overweight and having high cholesterol, especially the types of food he eats, puts him at a higher risk of keeling over before she would.

• JBC, energy levels aren’t an indicator of health unless they are consistently below normal. There are millions (like NBC’s late reporter Tim Russert), who exhibit above-average energy, but die from sudden cardiac events. Trump takes a statin to reduce the ill effects of a poor-quality diet (daily fast food, as he admits).

It’s a typically American approach to medicine. We can’t “force” patients to eat well and do normal exercise, so we have to prescribe drugs to counteract the problems created by food and lifestyle choices that impact our health. Mrs. Clinton has to take Coumadin because high-altitude air travel increases the risk of DVT in senior citizens, and she has had multiple previous episodes of clotting. If she flew less, she might not need it, but candidates don’t campaign by rail any more.

Both the major party candidates appear to be in typical (or average) health for their age, neither “excellent” nor “poor”. Neither is clearly superior to the other by these measures.

2. Dave says:

Excellent Mr. Trump. Now perhaps the liberal media can shut the hell up about this. Everyone knows Mr. Trump is healthy.
    It’s the Democratic nominee who’s health remains a very interesting topic. She lies, hides, and her campaign does her no favors by keeping things on the down low. That’s not transparency.
    Thank you Mr. Trump for doing this, even though you didn’t have to. I bet Dr. Oz will have his hugest rating to date. So a win for all.
    #trump2016

• LADY_in_MD says:

Maybe the conservative media can shut the hell up about emails too oh wait after 8 congressional hearings they still are talking about it

• Mary says:

You are thanking a reality personality going on a reality show and saying not much of anything. It is unreal. To tell you the truth I never really questioned his physical health because with his diet he is just going to drop, However; I 1000% question his mental health. I love it when Trump and his supporters make a mountain out of a mold hill. Gee NORMAL human being do get sick, what she had is not life threatening. Just to inform you, he didn’t go on the show to clear up his health history – he could of done that like every other normal candidate. He did it for a publicity ONLY, it is called FREE PR. Get a clue.

3. Steven says:

I can’t wait for him to lose and go back to low rated reality tv where he belongs.

4. Guy says:

Yiiiiiikes. These comments are a MESS. LOL @ Donald Trump supposedly being more transparent.

• Angela says:

I’m honestly stunned by people who say, with a straight face ,that Trump is trustworthy and transparent and presidential material. They’re clearly not seeing the same kind of Trump campaign I’m seeing. At all.

5. HAP says:

I have to admit to being baffled by how close the polls are. On one hand, you have a person who has been in public service in both state and national platforms for decades. On the other hand you have a serial liar and carnival barker who hosted a reality TV show. Just does not make sense to me.

• Dave says:

That’s because that person who has been in public service is corrupt, a liar, a fraud, and under her time as SOS, caused the death of soldiers. She has proven time and time again that she’s an establishment greedy politician. That’s why the polls are close. That’s why Trump will win.

• T.E says:

Greedy? Wtf? Trump is the one of the most corrupt candidates to EVER run for president. Just because he’s not a politician doesn’t mean he doesn’t know dirty politics. Besides, democrats ought to be glad if he’s elected. He’ll deliver the death blow to the Republican Party.

• LADY_in_MD says:

So the republican lead congress who denied more money to help better security for diplomats abroad had nothing to do with it? And Dave why aren’t you angry about the 13 embassy attacks and 60 people who were killed under President Bush?

• Mary says:

Trump has been proven a liar and a fraud yet that doesn’t stop you from supporting the clueless man behind the curtain. You can’t fix ignorance, but maybe you should take the time and actually read the final report, the one where she was not responsible for the death of anyone. Were you this outrage during Bush administration, who the lost of lives was way more. The polls are close because it is obvious we have way more angry people who obviously blame the Government for their failures.

• Freddie says:

If I understand Dave correctly, Trump will win because U.S. voters are too dumb to know when they’re being manipulated and too partisan to realize when they’re being sold a bill of goods, so they’d rather take a reality TV star with zero platform, an avowed sympathy for Vladimir freaking Putin, a history of bankruptcies and human-rights violation and a complete refusal to release any personal information over a record of 40+ years in public policy, human rights and international relations. How the mighty have fallen.

6. Lysh says:

As long as someone’s not going to die a month into their presidency, health has never been a concern to me. It’s the quality of their character and what they’ll do for our country. I would rather have Jed Bartlet, who had MS, than Trump at his healthiest.

• Angela says:

People should also consider the VP options available here, too, if, God forbid, something did happen to either Clinton or Trump shortly after taking office. I’d be okay with Tim Kaine taking over the country if something happened to Clinton.
      The idea of Mike “I believe in gay conversion therapy” Pence taking over if something happened to Trump, on the other hand? Downright terrifying thought.

• Steven says:

In Jed We Trust

7. T.E says:

A son of Muslim immigrants hosting a guy who wants to ban people like his parents from the U.S.
    Wow. Denigrating your own kind just for ratings. That’s a new kind of low, even for Dr Oz.

8. Charissa29 says:

This is what you are talking about after the Newsweek article? Jeez!

9. Going by the numbers the doctor gives, Trump is just shy of being clinically obese. He would have to lose a minimum of 36 pounds to be in the “normal” range. That means cutting out the daily fast food, and doing some normal kind of exercise.

Having to take drugs to stay normal on cholesterol, and being nearly obese, is not “excellent health”. It’s average, for an American senior citizen. It’s unfortunate that Mr. Trump is one of those guys who would view a diagnosis of “average” as an insult, or that his doctor seems to feel the need to act as a political advocate.

• John NYC says:

Strikes me as a similar sort of celebrity doctor as “treated” Michael Jackson. No favors are done for the celebrity patient in the long run that way.

The bloated face, the baldness, those numbers (if accurate): he’s not getting appropriate care whatever he’s paying the guy.

• Steven says:

Weight for a president has never been a concern for me. Taft weighed 354 pounds when inaugurated. His lack of experience, violent temper, sexism, and racism is why he should be disqualified.

• I agree with you. I just went with the con job aspect of the medical reveal in this instance. My main objection is the generally obnoxious behavior. I’ve fought bullies. I won’t vote for one.

10. Kim R says:

To be completely honest, it is not Mr.Trumps’s physical health that I have been concerned about.

11. John NYC says:

Nope. Get an independent clinical review from the Mayo Clinic (they have an excellent executive screening program) and I’ll take it seriously. Another love letter from that same gastroenterologist (why not Trumps heart guy since he’s got heart concerns at least?). No deal.

Just like a similar love letter from his accountant won’t substitute for his tax returns.

Gies for both if them: independent reviews or legal tax documents. Not press releases.

12. Kosha, Slezak's Sister says:

Paging Dr. Spaceman… Dr. Spaceman… (30 Rock reference for those that don’t know/remember!)

13. Trump gets around with no problem.
    Interviews, greeting the people, seeing leaders, no problems at a 9/11 event and more.
    Can’t say the same for Hillary Clinton.
    Heck, she can’t even stand up.
    Her body double can.
    Hillary is fooling no one.
    She is done.