Blindspot Season 2 Ratings

Ratings: Blindspot Returns Up 20 Percent, AGT Finale Hits 5-Year High

NBC was out to boost sampling of Blindspot before the sophomore drama settles into its new Wednesdays-at-8 home, and it succeeded.

Leading out of a strong America’s Got Talent finale, Blindspot returned to 7.1 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, down sharply from its apres-Voice Season 1 premiere (10.6 mil/3.1) but up 20 and 15 percent from its May finale and hitting its best numbers since Nov. 16 and March 28, respectively. TVLine readers gave the opener an average grade of “A-.”

AGT opened the Peacock’s night with 14.4 million viewers and a 2.8 rating, surging 48 and 33 percent year over year to deliver its biggest finale audience in six years, and its best rating in five. All told, AGT delivered its top-rated season since 2013 and its most watched cycle since 2011.

Elsewhere on the night….

CBS | Big Brother (6.1 mil/1.8) was down a tenth week-to-week.

THE CW | Penn & Teller (1.4 mil/0.4) was flat, while Whose Line (1.1 mil/0.3) ticked down.

FOX | MasterChef (4.5 mil/1.4) was steady, but down a tenth from its previous finale.

Cable ratings (e.g. American Horror Story) famously come in much, much later and as warranted are reported under separate cover.

1. Bigdede says:

What about Big Brother?

2. Kevin K says:

Hope Blindspot won’t suffer a sophomore slump not like what Revolution did a few years ago. The series feels like coming out of Alias and/or Nikita.

3. John NYC says:

Rollicking good start for Blindspot. I’m confident they’ll keep it up.

4. gort says:

Up from the finale? Matt, usually the sites compare ratings to the previous season opener. You did that last fall too. Of course it’ll be up from the season finale.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I have thought about it (a lot) and I’m OK with this comparison, but I do thank you for checking. In an age of 426 TV shows, the “news” will be when a premiere comes anywhere close to matching a year ago.

5. Riana says:

Let’s not kid ourselves. It was boosted by lack of competition.

• John NYC says:

Which, of course, was the intention; in the hopes some portion of those “extra” samplers will get intrigued and become regular viewers.

• kitsunesaru says:

Well a boost is a boost. Could be people who watched season one over the break, or could be new people who decide now they’ll keep watching. The real test will next week when it’s at 8.

• Writerpatrick says:

It’s also the first returning show of the season. People simply wanted something to watch.

• Tracy288 says:

Exactly what I was thinking. I’m going to give it three airings in the hopes that the arrival of Archie Panjabi helps, but I definitely don’t buy into the hype that this is going to be a number 1 show.

6. kmw says:

Good for Blindspot but it wont get those numbers at 8 o clock but still NBC had a good night especially with America’s Got Talent. I didn’t think this show would still be so strong

7. td says:

The Archie Panjabi bump!

8. drhenning says:

I was a Castle first watcher last season on Monday nights but did a catch up with Blind Spot.. It certainly isn’t family fare at 8pm but I guess networks don’t really program or care anyway it seems. Strong opener

9. James D says:

Glad about Blindspot numbers but I expect them it to fall once it’s in its new time spot. I hope it stays steady though once the initial highs of a new tv season begin to settle; I love the show.

10. HAP says:

In my opinion, Blindspot is not an 8pm show. Was shocked when NBC announced the time change. And am I the only one that thought there was a bit of stunting going on, what with how much screen time Archie got in the opener? As I recall, she will only be recurring.