Blindspot Season 2 Premiere

Blindspot Recap: Mommie Dearest

And just like that, emerging naked from a duffel bag in Times Square doesn’t seem so bad after all.

Blindspot returned for Season 2 at a special time Wednesday night — before moving to its regular 8 pm home next week — and somehow, the episode managed to make Season 1 look like a stroll through paradise.

Having her identity wiped and her body inked? Playing a major role in the death of an FBI director? Killing her former fiancé and getting arrested by her new beau? Compared to what Jane Doe experiences in the opening minutes of Season 2, all of last year’s hardship seems positively peachy — and we haven’t even touched on the family reunion that takes place near the end of the hour.

Below, a breakdown of the episode’s biggest moments:

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS JANE DOE? | As series creator Martin Gero teased to us at Comic-Con, the premiere picks up three months after last May’s high-stakes finale, and Jane’s life — which I had assumed was already at rock-bottom — has somehow gotten even gloomier. Having been taken into CIA custody shortly after Weller arrested her, Jane has been holed up at an Oregon black site all summer, where she experiences daily torture at the hands of her captors. But Jane, arguably the biggest badass on NBC, is slow and sneaky about her planned escape — and when she gets an opportunity, she beats up all of the men tormenting her and snags the keys to a truck that takes her far, far away from Oregon. (Camden, N.J., to be exact.)

Blindspot Season 2 PremiereMeanwhile, Weller and his FBI cohort have resumed their run-of-the-mill, pre-Jane missions — y’know, boring assignments that involve taking down counterfeiters by way of epic bike chases. But just as Zapata and Reade begin to wax nostalgic about the thrilling tattoo investigations of yesteryear, a helicopter touches down at the site of their latest arrest, and out walks… Kalinda Sharma! Er, Nas Kamal, rather, played by The Good Wife‘s Archie Panjabi. (But she and Kalinda have strikingly similar fashion sense, no?)

Let’s get Nas’ spiel out of the way first: She’s the director of an off-books branch of the NSA, called Zero Division, which has been tracking what seemed to be disparate terror attacks for the last six years. Over time, though, it’s become clear that those incidents are all stemming from the same group: Sandstorm. Nas and her people believe that Jane is also a Sandstorm operative, and was sent to the FBI via duffel bag to take the bureau down. Though it’s suspected that Jane was planning to betray her Sandstorm team before she got all those tats, she’s still very much entangled with the group, who is readying its biggest attack yet — and if the NSA and FBI can find Jane, they could very well stop Sandstorm, too.

That said, neither the FBI nor Jane are thrilled about working together again. Consider this the CliffsNotes version: Once Jane is tracked down, working as a maid at a New Jersey motel, she and Weller come to blows over their heavy emotional baggage; Reade and Zapata don’t trust Jane, Jane doesn’t trust anybody; it’s really just business as usual. But the FBI team agrees to work with Jane once more, if only to avenge Mayfair’s death.

MAMA WHO BORE ME | After Jane spills all of last season’s secrets to Nas — including her murder of Oscar — she agrees to go undercover within Sandstorm and once again team up with her handlers there to get more intel on their impending attack. She meets up with a Sandstorm operative named Roman (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Luke Mitchell), and together, after making their way through a harrowing traffic stop and a trip to the hospital, they come face-to-face with the elusive Shepherd (The Glades‘ Michelle Hurd), who is said to be the ringleader of Sandstorm’s next mission.

Well, it turns out Shepherd is a liiiittle more than just the head honcho of a terror group. She’s also Jane’s mother.

Long-awaited backstory alert! As Shepherd informs a shell-shocked Jane, Ms. Doe’s actual name is Alice Kruger. Jane was born in South Africa (which explains the tooth, at last!), but when the government had her anti-apartheid activist parents killed, she was forced into a secret “academy” — an orphanage where children were trained to become operatives for the state.

Blindspot Season 2 PremiereThe academy ultimately fell when apartheid did, and Shepherd was the American soldier who liberated Jane — uh, Alice — and a boy from the orphanage, as well. As they grew up, the kids were allowed to pick their own names. Alice chose “Remy,” and the boy chose “Roman,” making the Sandstorm handler Jane’s brother. Whew.

Shepherd and Roman tell Jane to stay the course with the FBI, ensuring her that their mission is nearly done, whatever it is. But later, when Jane’s mother and brother are debriefing about their conversation with her, Shepherd admits that something seems off about Jane. “Then activate our mole in the FBI,” Roman suggests, defending his sister. “And they’ll tell you.” Shepherd dismisses the idea, saying that the Sandstorm mole is a card they should wait to play at the FBI. But in the meantime, who is it?! (I, for one, will be devastated if it’s Dr. Borden, which means it probably is.)

Even worse: As Shepherd and Roman cryptically talk about their plans for Jane, they are seen standing near a massive missile, surely to be used in Sandstorm’s upcoming attack.

THE X-FILES | Meanwhile, as Jane is busy dealing with the worst day of her life (so far), Patterson introduces Nas to the USB drive that was uncovered in last May’s finale. There are three files inside: one labeled Daylight, an operation that the NSA already knows about; one labeled M7G677, which merely contains a cryptic photo of a black hole (to be revisited in later episodes, surely); and one named Orion, which is merely full of fragmented, pixelated data.

Nas agrees to give Patterson access to the NSA’s quantum computer farm and… actually, I’ll skip right past the techie jargon. The bottom line: Patterson is finally able to unlock the photos hidden on the Orion file. They’re mostly snapshots of soldiers, explosions and other disconcerting events from the past few months — but the team does a double-take when they find a photo of Jane, dressed in head-to-toe military gear, lying unconscious in the desert.

OK, your turn! Do you buy that Shepherd and Roman are Jane’s relatives? Who’s the mole in the FBI? Cast your vote in our poll below to grade the premiere, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Zapata is being a little too holier than thou, considering her OWN transgressions. It is because of those, my money is on her being the mole. No one seemed all too surprised by that gunshot wound after all, and Zapata drew awfully quickly. In fact, last season she was also the lady who doth protest too much about Jane joining the team to begin with.

Remi though? Alice would be better.

2. James D says:

Meh. Maybe it’s because I had a long day at work and was kind of out of it. But I didn’t think it was the best premiere. It was very good, but it felt rush and little strange that they catch Jane…Alice….Remy (please let this be it for the names the woman has too many names) and than immediately put her undercover, again it might just be me, but it felt jumbled. my only other criticism is one I’ve had about this show before which is laying secrets upon secrets. I get it is part of the make-up of the show but at some point it becomes about the secrets which leads to the writers trying to be “clever” about finding ways to top the previous secret with more outlandish secrets and it stops becoming about the characters. the Mother/Brother thing didn’t carry the impact for me as it was meant to because it felt like another reveal for reveal sake. as for the mole I’m guessing it is either Archie or Dylan’s character. wow that was a long winded comment sorry. I need sleep :)

3. It was so great! I hope nothing happens to her brother. I wounder though if sandstorm is bad why did they put tattoos on her that were leading the FBI to help and prevent things? They did so much good last season with those tattoos, I was kinda hopping who ever she was working for was going to be better then the “system” lol. But still my favorite show, I cant wait for next week.

• Ken Ovie says:

I think the tattoos on Jane’s body was actually used to buy the FBIs trust and to make Jane look like an invaluable asset. Hence, the FBI wouldn’t cut ties with Jane and she’d still be Sandstorms mole.

4. Ninamags says:

It was awesome! So glad the show is back.

I’m ready to believe she has a brother. Poor woman needs a connection to someone.

So this will regularly be opposite Arrow? Eh, I’m fine with that.

5. KayCeeCee says:

My top choice for the mole is Dylan Baker’s character, FBI Director Pellington; then Dr. Borden and then Patterson.

I won’t mind anyone else as the mole except for the core team: Kurt Weller, Edgar Reade or Tasha Zapata.

6. Jane says:

I’m not going to lie, a small part of me would find it absolutely hysterical if Patterson was the mole. Can you imagine her secretly having Navy Seal training and just totally beating the crap out of people? It will never happen, and I hope it doesn’t because I’m rooting hardcore for her and Borden to get together and she’s one of my favorite characters besides. She cracks me up! I think Reade being the most forgiving and relaxed about the current situation may be really good reason to suspect him. If he were the mole it would make sense that with Jane in Orion he had some idea of who was threatening him to stop looking into Tom Carters disappearance and that’s why he panicked and broke up with Sarah. He also could have had ulterior motives for dating Sarah to begin with.

• KT says:

I like your thinking! For sure, it will be interesting whoever the mole turns out to be. I thought it was a good premiere. It was nice to get more background on Jane Doe.

7. Al says:

I totally buy that Shepherd & Roman told her the truth, just not all of it. When Roman & Shepherd were talking alone, he was like “That’s still my sister in there somewhere”. There was no one else around to benefit from hearing that. Now whether he means by blood or not remains to be seen

8. kirads09 says:

Wow. Sensing no sophomore slump here. Fantastic premier. I believe Jane is from South Africa (the tooth) and perhaps Roman is her brother but…I just don’t trust anything else “revealed” with this show. It is all ONE big web of lies with the truth only in the tattoos I am certain. I think Archie’s character is actually the mole – sent in to recover “Jane” and discover how much the FBI knows. It was all pretty quick and convenient for her to show up all of a sudden with all this info? Of course, EVERYTHING could be turned on its head by the end of the season. Really great start for S2 – bring it with all the incredible twists and turns. I will be heart broken if anything happens to Patterson or she turns out to be the mole. I can’t see that now but isn’t it always the ones you would least suspect?

9. I loved the season 2 premiere especially since Martin Gero kept his promise and gave up tons of information about Jane and a little about Sandstorm. I liked that the memory Jane/Alice/Remi had of being taken to a basement room full of children was not false, and is explained as part of her life. Looking forward to getting back to the tattoos and seeing Kane again. At some point Kane is going to know that Jane/Alice/Remi set him up to take the fall for killing Oscar and her 3 month time in the CIA black site. When that happens things are going to really escalate between Shepherd and Jane/Alice/Remi.

I think either one of Patterson’s team is the mole, then the FBI director. I will be heartbroken if it is anyone else.

10. TheloNaGrapso says:

Not her relatives. Don’t believe anything about this show.

• Katherine215 says:

I’m curious as to why people are so disbelieving of this. When they reveal something on the show, it tends to be real, doesn’t it? Jane’s identity as Taylor was revealed with a question mark, so we knew there was something not right with that and so I don’t quite count that as a “lie” from the show. What else has bred doubt for people?

11. Kevin K says:

I give the Blindspot Season 2 premiere an A. The opening scene felt like a Alias/Nikita moment.

• A. Fordyce says:

My thoughts exactly, but I’m starting with The Avengers (Emma Peel/played by Diana Rigg who played the grandmother in Game of Thrones) So, The Avengers/Alias/La Femme Nikita/Nikita/Jane Doe.

12. Katherine215 says:

I really hope they keep calling her Jane rather than any of these other names. It’s weird to think of her as another name.

13. VegasGal72 says:

This show is not the right kind to put on at 8:00 pm.

14. Pat says:

I gave it an awesome. How Jane can survive all that she goes through, the torture, the beatings and getting shot is just unbelievable. I honestly do not know who to believe but I do believe in Jane and I will continue to call her that because I cannot take anymore names given to this character. I just feel really bad for her. Most of her life, just seems to be one big brainwashing.

15. Matt says:

I thought it was awesome! I was so glad to have the show back on! My guess for the mole would be Patterson…..let all of you hate on that but who else would be a great mole considering she has all of the intel secrets, she can be pretty resourceful in the filed (as evidenced last year during the house raid), and the least likely in the eyes of the team…….I would hate to be wrong, but that is my thoughts on this

16. KJOHNSON says:

So much exposition

17. HAP says:

Anyone else think that for a recurring, there was a whole lot of Archie in this episode?

18. grys03 says:

Loved it. A roller-coaster ride of an episode.
    The one thing that continues to annoy me though is that ‘Jane’ seems to be able to beat up pretty much everyone except Kurt. Sure she has some reticence due to being close to him, but still…

19. Annie says:

Great premiere!

20. Ezybest2016 says:

This is a marvelous episode. I really love this premiere. But I can’t help but wonder who the mole is. My bet is on Archie’s character. Question is, why holding the information up until now? It is going to be a great season. #cantwait!

21. BrianR says:

It looked like Jane was dead in the picture which might explain why they got no hits on her in the files if she was KIA in an Orion operation. I really hope they go back and show what happened and the circumstances of Orion and Carter’s involvement.

22. csb says:

I thought it was surprising that Roman was her brother. The two actors had immediate chemistry and not the sibling type.

23. Mike M says:

Archie Panjabi (and her boots): Making American Television Great Again! And anyone that follows how each episode title has two “names” made out of the exact same letters… how interesting is it that “NAS” works for the “NSA”.

24. Lesley-Ann says:

Loved the 1st episode of Blindspot…fastpaced and riveting…phew!! Being a South African I was on alert to check the ZA facts, lol. Let’s see HOW much in fact is true though as you never know how the plot might explode into a new direction. I especially loved the very authentic keepsake “brother” Roman saved for Jane/Taylor neè Remy. A discontinued R1.00 ZA coin…I have’nt seen one of those in years…am super excited to see how the show plays out!!!

• Heleen Kotze says:

Me too! I so hoped he would say the “Afrikaanse gebed”, would be so cool. Like when Sharlto Copley sang “Jan Pierrewiet” in Elysium.

25. Ken Ovie says:

Talking about her reunion(if I’m going to call it that) with Shepherd and Roman, I honestly feel Jane was being too direct and pushy with ‘MEETING SHEPHERD’ and I’m sure that was what gave her away. All her statements were geared towards her.

I mean, that’s a little off for someone who has been missing for 3 months.

Who else feels the same way

26. Laura D.Weston says:

Sheppard&Roman are killers and no kindred to Jane but I think Naz is the mole.
    Carter &Cade can’t both be alive.
    Something gotta give so plez give me a break.

27. Ana says:

After seeing the first two episodes it looks like they are pointing to Tasha as the mole. The fact that she was so angry with Jane in both episodes, and even shot her in episode 1, makes it look like she is trying to hard to convince her team that she hates Jane. In fact Tasha was the most angry in the team about Jane being there. Plus, her past behavior sort of predicts future behavior. Last thing pointing to Tasha is the fact that at the end of episode 2 when it was just two of them, and no one else around in the locker room she handed Jane ointment for her wound. Tasha even apologized to Jane for shooting her. Why was she showing Jane kindness when it was just them, but just hours before in front of the whole team she was showing so much anger? But, I could be totally wrong and it will be someone like Patterson who is the mole.

28. Ihab says:

Why would they tattoo Weller’s name on her back and send her right his way? A very slight chance that he could be the mole and want her to work closely with him ha ha.

29. brenda says:

Why are Jane’s tatoo’s less than first season?